• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Fun read :)

Don't worry about doing Sen's in reverse, there are two major shortcuts that take you from top to bottom in seconds - you walked straight past one of them on the way to the boss (the locked cages). It does sound like you missed a fair bit, it's definately worth going back and exploring every path for loot.

Exploring the painting is surreal , the tension of being trapped and where to go then leacing some items cuz it may be dangerous to explore too much.

You can parry Artorias?!.. Still learning things about DS1 even now!

Wait, what?
I spent 600+ hours on this title and I didn't know that his attacks could be parried! O_O
Are you sure?

My bad, I mean stagger him on his opening attacks

kaos.

I know which area it is in, I mean its an older game the info is out there. I am trying to do as much of a run without guides as possible but it is harder. I literally went through that area to the boss. I had some trepidation to fighting the enemies in that area after you flip the switch. As I said earlier it was the last boss I beat.

So yeah I guess it would help to go do that and upgrade my Bastad Sword +10 to +15.

My post was vague just because I didn't want to spoil anything to you, not because I wanted to act like a "know-it-all". :)
Anyway, why bastard sword? Have you found the claymore? Don't you like it?
It's almost identical but it has a better moveset (imho).

tebunker

Banned
My post was vague just because I didn't want to spoil anything to you, not because I wanted to act like a "know-it-all". :)
Anyway, why bastard sword? Have you found the claymore? Don't you like it?
It's almost identical but it has a better moveset (imho).

Yeah I kind of got that you were being vague on purpose, so was I, trying to not ruin it for anyone too, I appreciate it, hopefully didn't come across ungrateful. Hard to have a conversation when we both are purposely being vague.

I really like the Bastard sword, and I am currently working towards a 40/40 split on str/dex so it seemed like it worked for that.

So I used one of those calculator apps and the Bastard has a better damage output at max upgrade, and I like the moveset. Granted I should check out the claymore.

But in all honesty I love my maxed out Quelaag Fury Sword, especially when I have 10 Humanity, it just isnt great in every situation.

Chris R

Fun read :)

Don't worry about doing Sen's in reverse, there are two major shortcuts that take you from top to bottom in seconds - you walked straight past one of them on the way to the boss (the locked cages). It does sound like you missed a fair bit, it's definately worth going back and exploring every path for loot.

What is the second? I unlocked the cage and thought I've explored everwhere but don't know what this other one is. Sen's boss went down in a single attempt, I'm proud :D

Might be slightly overleveled though at 50 now. Want to level some weapons up but I'm missing the materials :(

kaos.

But in all honesty I love my maxed out Quelaag Fury Sword, especially when I have 10 Humanity, it just isnt great in every situation.

I never liked Quelaag Fury Sword because of the split damage and the 10 humanity thing...
Also I don't like the moveset a lot, I think it is very choreographic but not so much efficient... :-(

I never liked Quelaag Fury Sword because of the split damage and the 10 humanity thing...
Also I don't like the moveset a lot, I think it is very choreographic but not so much efficient... :-(

What about the Chaos blade, that weapon is nuts

What is the second? I unlocked the cage and thought I've explored everwhere but don't know what this other one is. Sen's boss went down in a single attempt, I'm proud :D

Might be slightly overleveled though at 50 now. Want to level some weapons up but I'm missing the materials :(

Next areas will have plenty of material, dont worry but the titanite slabs are pretty rare so choose carefuly what weapon you want to fully upgrade

After the last set of swinging blades, where there are two pressure plates, there is a drop down, it looks like a dead drop, but it's not and is an alternate way to get down to the slumbering dragoncrest ring, which is just above where the cages take you to. It can be a quick escape route/cat and mouse trap during pvp.

tebunker

Banned
Ahhh I did it! Beat Artorius!

That felt so good. Two handed the Black Knight sword. Lots of dodging.

Oh back in the saddle love that just beat a hard boss feeling

Ahhh I did it! Beat Artorius!

That felt so good. Two handed the Black Knight sword. Lots of dodging.

Oh back in the saddle love that just beat a hard boss feeling

Congrats. One of my favourite boss fights in the game.

What other DLC bosses have you done so far? Btw it's Artorias, not Artorius. :p

rahji

I am struggling in the crystal cavern especially with the boss. It is some other kind of tension in this area. Not only the enemies are really dangerous, I always wonder if I make it to the other end of the invisible paths. I hold my breath when I enter such a path. And I am really relieved when I safely reach the other end. Made it to the boss but he cursed me. I thought that it has no use to try him again with only half of my hp. The game told me that there was a healer in new londo so that is my next destination. the boss can wait. Also I am not sure if I can beat him already because he heals himself after every hit. Maybe some sort of special item or weapon is needed for that fight. will see. But the Crystal cavern is a really beautiful area. The sounds in that cavern are really relaxing. Sometimes I hit a crystal on the wall with my sword just to hear the echo from the cave. Or I stand still and listen to the sounds of the cave. Visually it is quite nice, too.

tebunker

Banned
I am struggling in the crystal cavern especially with the boss. It is some other kind of tension in this area. Not only the enemies are really dangerous, I always wonder if I make it to the other end of the invisible paths. I hold my breath when I enter such a path. And I am really relieved when I safely reach the other end. Made it to the boss but he cursed me. I thought that it has no use to try him again with only half of my hp. The game told me that there was a healer in new londo so that is my next destination. the boss can wait. Also I am not sure if I can beat him already because he heals himself after every hit. Maybe some sort of special item or weapon is needed for that fight. will see. But the Crystal cavern is a really beautiful area. The sounds in that cavern are really relaxing. Sometimes I hit a crystal on the wall with my sword just to hear the echo from the cave. Or I stand still and listen to the sounds of the cave. Visually it is quite nice, too.

There is a hint at the beginning cutscene of the boss fight that shows you what to do to stop the healing.

You can also buy items to heal the curse as well. I know the undead female merchant in the tunnel by firelink sells them for like 4k.

When I fought Seath in the cave I hugged him on his left side and went to town with a two handed flame sword.

llehuty

You can also buy items to heal the curse as well. I know the undead female merchant in the tunnel by firelink sells them for like 4k.
I think there is a guy in the tower of the upper bell in the parish that sells them for 2k. (I'm always carrying one, just in case).

I began playing through this masterpiece again about a week ago. The first Black Knight you encounter luckily dropped it's Greatsword and I equipped it shortly after defeating the Bell Gargoyle. Game seems way to easy now but let's see how things turn out when I hit Anor Londo.
Also it's quite amazing to see how many people are still playing this on PS3. I entered the Forest Hunter covenant yesterday and got summoned pretty much every 30 seconds to all kind of players.

laxu

The shells before the boss drop Purging stones so just farm those to remove your curse. Same shells are a fantastic source of Twinkling Titanite as well.

I think I beat the boss simply by running along his side and hitting him when I could, after
destroying the crystal at the end of the room
. Definitely put on armor with curse resistance.

When running back to the boss you can remember that all the invisible bridges on the way are just straight lines.

Chris R

I began playing through this masterpiece again about a week ago. The first Black Knight you encounter luckily dropped it's Greatsword and I equipped it shortly after defeating the Bell Gargoyle. Game seems way to easy now but let's see how things turn out when I hit Anor Londo.
Also it's quite amazing to see how many people are still playing this on PS3. I entered the Forest Hunter covenant yesterday and got summoned pretty much every 30 seconds to all kind of players.

I'm using the Black Greatsword +2 right now and just hit Anor Londo. So far it's been easy going, took the gargoyle down with no issues but haven't gone further than that.

tebunker

Banned
Just completed the DLC so that felt good, guess its time to push through to get the last Lord Soul and then finally start booking a visit to Gwyn.

I really liked some of the characters in the DLC. Artorias was/is cool and honestly I think it'd have been neat if some of the dlc allowed you to play as these heroic characters in their story arcs. I did get the two tracer blades and no I didn't kill anyone for them. I don't think I could do that just for some sweet looking armor.

Chris R

Killed Sif (poor Doggo :( :( :( ) But I'm thinking of eating his soul because it doesn't look like I'll ever be close to the stats for any of his stuff?

Not that I can make a +10 anything at this point anyways.

Unai

Yeah, his stuff is usually only viable in new game+ or later unless you build over it. If you want the trophy/achievment you also have to make the weapons só keep that in mind.

Just completed the DLC so that felt good, guess its time to push through to get the last Lord Soul and then finally start booking a visit to Gwyn.

I really liked some of the characters in the DLC. Artorias was/is cool and honestly I think it'd have been neat if some of the dlc allowed you to play as these heroic characters in their story arcs. I did get the two tracer blades and no I didn't kill anyone for them. I don't think I could do that just for some sweet looking armor.

The DLC changes the outcome of Sif and extra dialogue from Dusk and open your mind of some drops in the darkroot forest like Ciaran resting place, and extra lore for Dark Souls 3. the only DLC that does it in Dark Souls series

Chris R

Yeah, his stuff is usually only viable in new game+ or later unless you build over it. If you want the trophy/achievment you also have to make the weapons só keep that in mind.

I'm just beating every boss in the game, not going after trophies and zero plan for NG+

rahji

I have made quite some progress since the last time I posted. I was cursed by the boss in crystal cavern, so I ventured to new londo because of the healer. I made it through that area with no difficulties because I could 2 hit all ghosts. Depleted the water and finally saw the connection to the vally of drakes. Went down and ran straight away when I first met the enemies in drained londo. No chance with half a health bar. So I uncursed myself at a really high price and ventured back to the boss of the crystal cave. This time I was prepared and slashed the boss on 2nd try. I was happy with myself and tried drained londo again. After some deaths I made it to the boss fog. I entered and was puzzled. What am I to do here? Just a tower with stairs spiraling, nothing to do here. I could not go back so I decided to discover the dark pits of the abyss with like 40k souls on my hand. Oh boy was I mad that I simply died and nothing special happened. I was so mad that I asked a friend what do in this room and he vaguely told me what to do. Why not make a door with a seal that only opens when you got the item? Very frustrating that part.

tebunker

Banned
Still a boss soul is not worth eating, you can farm the bandits guys on the forest for better souls farming

Some are worth eating or feeding to Frampt. It depends on what you want to do exactly.

With my build and no desire to do any magic outside of pyro And ignoring a NG+, I found it better to eat some souls and feed some others. Mainly I did it to pump up Pyro or buy some shards that were hard to farm. I did regret not making the scythe this time, but I got over it :)

So I am at Izalith, only played for a little last night. SL 93. Using the Black Knight Sword to great effect and playing around with some other gear too. I still hate prowling demons, I can beat them, but I swear they are harder than a lot of bosses. Being level 2 Chaos I am good for Solaire, going to do my best to help Siegmeyer so this has been a fun run.

One of the best parts of the Demon Ruins was beating the pulp out of the minor Taurus Demons. It just feels so vindicating. Like oh yeah you used to wreck me, but here eat this sword and no then hit it all of them. Bosses in Ruins have been easy, and I am going to fight the third boss just because.

Also I was thinking of going back to the bridge to kill the red hellkite wyvern. Is this dumb? I mean I just want to do it to say I beat every boss level enemy in one run thay I can.

After some deaths I made it to the boss fog. I entered and was puzzled. What am I to do here? Just a tower with stairs spiraling, nothing to do here. I could not go back so I decided to discover the dark pits of the abyss with like 40k souls on my hand. Oh boy was I mad that I simply died and nothing special happened. I was so mad that I asked a friend what do in this room and he vaguely told me what to do. Why not make a door with a seal that only opens when you got the item? Very frustrating that part.
iirc, Ingward gives you a clue about the 4 Kings boss fight, he says something about traversing the Abyss and Artorias which is a clue to Sif etc. It's vague yes, but once you know what to do, you know what to do and it's a great boss fight. Did you also find the treasure chest containing the
Very Large Ember
in New Londo Ruins? VERY important item!

tebunker

Banned
I did It!

Dark Souls Down,
I relinked that Flame, I ultimately decided that was the more interesting ending.
Left a lot to think about. I killed every major boss possible, and I can now say I am fully 100% initiated in to the group. This is my favorite series. Maybe I can finish DS 2 next month, and then DS 3 the next. Year of Dark Souls. For now though I am going to take a sabbatical from the series so I can beat Doom and AC and see if I can scratch anything else off the list.

Blood Borne is on the list too. Damn. Choices.

I can say that Bed of Chaos was dumb, just felt mailed in. Gwyn was good but Solaire helped aggro him for me. Quelaag's Fury sword was amazeballs.

Not sure if I will do a NG+, I want to play a lot more of the other games first. This has been great sharing the game with the people still watching this thread. Any one have a link to a DS2 thread?

Caja 117

so, I picked up the game where i left it, mind you this is my first playtrough and I have been at it since 2012...a lot of pauses so right now I have to do Either Tomb of the Giants and Lost izarith, as I have already did Seath and 4 kings, Im also stucked at Trying to kill Knight Astoras.

So should I do TOG first or Lost Izarith? Im in a Int build with a lot of Dex.

Tarkus

so, I picked up the game where i left it, mind you this is my first playtrough and I have been at it since 2012...a lot of pauses so right now I have to do Either Tomb of the Giants and Lost izarith, as I have already did Seath and 4 kings, Im also stucked at Trying to kill Knight Astoras.

If it has been that long, just restart and savor its glory.

Both of those could be frustrating if you're picking it back up after a long time. I would say roll a fresh character too. But if you don't, it doesn't really make a difference, if you're an INT build and you've already done Dukes - you should have all your goodies and be melting everything with spells.

Well Lost Izalith gives you fire resistance and pyromancy, ToG is kinda short but some enemies hit hard

rahji

Made progress again. Defeated the boss in the tomb of giants. I actually had to look up how the skull lantern works because I couldn't get it to work. I did not realize that it was a shield. I eqiped it as a weapon and wanted to hit something with it. Now I am in the Demon Ruins and defeated a boss on first try. feels good.
Also tried the DLC. Made it to Artorias. Damn, he hits hard. I see no chance so far.

Made progress again. Defeated the boss in the tomb of giants. I actually had to look up how the skull lantern works because I couldn't get it to work. I did not realize that it was a shield. I eqiped it as a weapon and wanted to hit something with it. Now I am in the Demon Ruins and defeated a boss on first try. feels good.
Also tried the DLC. Made it to Artorias. Damn, he hits hard. I see no chance so far.
He's a pussycat once you are familiar with his moveset, he can seem very aggressive at first though - just don't let him buff up as it increases his power. Also enemies in the DLC are very resistant to elemental damage (fire, lightning), so if you don't have an upgraded physical weapon, now is the time to get one.

Caja 117

If it has been that long, just restart and savor its glory.

Im planning to start a new build, but Its been too long and I want to finish the game and Im very close to it, So, as soon as Im done I wont jump right away to NG+ rather make a new character.

Both of those could be frustrating if you're picking it back up after a long time. I would say roll a fresh character too. But if you don't, it doesn't really make a difference, if you're an INT build and you've already done Dukes - you should have all your goodies and be melting everything with spells.

Yeah, Im melting everything with my INT build right now, Im currently at 38 int, while been at level 73 if Im not mistaken.

Well Lost Izalith gives you fire resistance and pyromancy, ToG is kinda short but some enemies hit hard

I decided to go and do ToG first, Was able to find the Bonfire, managed to find the hostile NPCs and defeat them including Patches, Tonight Im setting myself up to clear the Area including boss.

.Anema

Hey guys! Anyone playing this on PS3?
I want the Platinum trophy but I'm a little confused.
I need to finish the game at least two times and start a NG++ to get the thir soul of Sif for the last weapon?
Anyone has an extra soul of Sif or soul of Gwyn to share? I'm at the endgame farming titanite, level 76.

Unai

I need to finish the game at least two times and start a NG++ to get the thir soul of Sif for the last weapon?
Anyone has an extra soul of Sif or soul of Gwyn to share? I'm at the endgame farming titanite, level 76.
That's correct if don't get someone to drop the soull for you.

Caja 117

Gravelord Vanquished! I think my Sorcery is OP right now, it was very easy to soul arrow him and just kill him from afar. now to Izarith.

Same here, though I haven't finished my first playthrough.
I also can't find anyone to help fighting bosses so I probably have to invest some points in faith for the Warrior of Sunlight covenant.

I think my first char from many years ago has the Soul of Sif and Gwyn. I can give both of them to you, but he's in NG+ SL 120 or so. Need to check these things first though because I might be wrong.

.Anema

Same here, though I haven't finished my first playthrough.
I also can't find anyone to help fighting bosses so I probably have to invest some points in faith for the Warrior of Sunlight covenant.

I think my first char from many years ago has the Soul of Sif and Gwyn. I can give both of them to you, but he's in NG+ SL 120 or so. Need to check these things first though because I might be wrong.

I'm going to start my NG+ tomorrow, and I want to level up to SL120! I'll send you a PM. Also, I have some sunlight medals.

SDR-UK

I'm willing to help out any PS3 guys. I can drop boss Souls, Sunlight Medals (Covenant Items in general), help with bosses, etc. Just throw me a PM so I'll see it easily.

rahji

this goddamn artorias is wrecking me. tried an hour long to beat him. not even close. best result was 2/3 but then he charged twice oder 3 times and killed me with 1 hit. little fucker gets his sword up his ass. tomorrow. maybe.

I'm willing to help out any PS3 guys. I can drop boss Souls, Sunlight Medals (Covenant Items in general), help with bosses, etc. Just throw me a PM so I'll see it easily.

I will try to obtain the platinum trophy on my own but depending on how things go I might come back to you in a few weeks. Thanks for the offer anyways.

rahji

ok got artorias now. my strategy was ", be aggeressive, beat the crap out of him and never let him charge". I enchanted my sword with the lightning miracle before the fight and tried to beat him as fast as possible. also got kalameet, another fucker from hell. tried more than 20 times to beat him. manus was not so difficult maybe 10 tries. the dlc bosses are the hardest bosses in the game. now there is only one boss left.

ok got artorias now. my strategy was ", be aggeressive, beat the crap out of him and never let him charge". I enchanted my sword with the lightning miracle before the fight and tried to beat him as fast as possible. also got kalameet, another fucker from hell. tried more than 20 times to beat him. manus was not so difficult maybe 10 tries. the dlc bosses are the hardest bosses in the game. now there is only one boss left.

Congrats. Artorias was pretty damn tough for me, although he seems like he would have been easier if I was using a shield though. He's definitely my favourite boss in the series though.
Kalameet was easy, it just took me a while to cut his tail.
Manus I didn't struggle with whatsoever though. I got absolutely destroyed on my first go, but killed him on my second with ease. I found the thing you fight at the start (Sanctuary Guardian?) a fair bit harder than him.

Caja 117

So I cleared the demon ruins, and on the doorstep to fight Demon Centipede... Good times coming ahead, I guess Im also close on completing the game.

Top Bottom