• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

llehuty

Sooo, I obviously had to also play today.

I followed Red Liquorice advice and grinded a bit titanite shards and woop, just jumped to Scimitar +7. Game changer. I destroyed the gargoyles
In my second attempt.
So, first bell done!

I went directly down in the depths, tried a leap of faith and got a cheesy spider shield that is really out of place but the stats are good so I'm obviously wearing. Rat pushed me through a slope and I was already terrified thinking I will go back to getting cursed AGAIN. Luckily I found my way out fast, found a shortcut back to the bonfire, killed the rat and went to the boss. That was big, but I quickly managed to get the hang of it, turning around him and staying close to him, I was about to kill him on first go, but in the end I did it in the third try.

Back to the bonfire to level up, and I decided to keep going, to the next area, although I left some part of the depths unexplored (avoiding the curse, basically). I will probably go back to it once I get decent armor or ring with curse protection. So I keep goind, really carefully, and when I was getting comfortable with the new area and enemies, woops, my weapong about to break (and obviously I don't have anything to repair it...).

I could have just stopped there and go back, but I was just so in the mood, I look at my inventory and looked for the next weapon I could use... a Rapier that wasn't leveled up -_-. I kept going for a while, but the struggle was real and ended up dying when I had two grunts coming for blood at the same time.

Quite happy with the progress today, killed to bosses and feel like now I have a competent weapon (managed to end the session with it at +8)

Unai

Thousands of hours playing the dark souls series and I'm yet to use a curved sword in a real battle scenario. I should try one sometime.

Yay, keep us posted of your progress llehuty :)

Thousands of hours playing the dark souls series and I'm yet to use a curved sword in a real battle scenario. I should try one sometime.
They are honestly my most loathed weapon class in the series, I don't even know why - I've used the Crescent Falcion in DeS plenty and I love rapiers which also have a crappy non-kick move. Maybe I need to do a curved sword run to wash away my prejudice against them!

Mistel

Banned
They are honestly my most loathed weapon class in the series, I don't even know why - I've used the Crescent Falcion in DeS plenty and I love rapiers which also have a crappy non-kick move. Maybe I need to do a curved sword run to wash away my prejudice against them!
I'm pretty ambivalent to them myself generally I prefer the straight swords over the curved ones.
Curved sword are quite effective with the Gold Tracer, Quelaag's Furysword
soul, and the Shotel being the dominant forces of the class. The Shotel is more pvp orientated with its infinite stunlock and there's also the painting guardian sword with a high AR potential mirred by its length.

Booshka

2 hand and R1 forever with Curved swords, makes the game easy. Falchion, Gold Tracer, Quelagg's Fury Sword are all very strong.

Unai

Yay, keep us posted of your progress llehuty :)

I'm pretty ambivalent to them myself generally I prefer the straight swords over the curved ones.

Curved sword are quite effective with the Gold Tracer, Quelaag's Furysword
soul, and the Shotel being the dominant forces of the class. The Shotel is more pvp orientated with its infinite stunlock and there's also the painting guardian sword with a high AR potential mirred by its length.

I have a Painting Guardian Sword at +14, so I could start using it right away. The wiki says that the Gold Tracer upgrades with Twinkling Titanite so that sould be easy enough to upgrade as well.

By the way, I'm now playing on New Game+++ (first time in such an advanced playthorugh) and I am trying to not use any offensive spells with my 50 int sorcerer. I just beat Gravelord Nito using the Velka's Sword. Pretty easy fight after killing the skeletons. These fast curved swords might come in handy with Crystal Magic Weapon. I should try one to fight the next boss (probably Sif).

HeelPower

Returned to it after a long break and after having completed BB and DS3.

The heavy feeling of combat where every swing counts,the art direction and seamless exploration still reign supreme.

The is just so different and ethereal,even with its 5-game series.Its unmatched.

Jaeger

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I wish it were real!

FYMFywf.jpg

cbFKQ1m.jpg

pFoDJBO.png

URUt33X.png

Source

Dommel

Just upgraded to Queelaag's Furysword today on my first play through and liking it a lot.

Nice change of pace from the Great Scythe.

Just beat this game for the first time a few days ago; it's absolutely fantastic, and I need more. Should I buy DSII if/when it goes on sale on Steam or should I skip it?

Also, not sure if this has already been posted but the community on reddit are holding a "Global Restart Date" on Friday, June 10th. I'll probably start my second play though then and was wondering if anyone else in GAF will be playing? Here's the link to the thread on reddit

SDR-UK

Just beat this game for the first time a few days ago; it's absolutely fantastic, and I need more. Should I buy DSII if/when it goes on sale on Steam or should I skip it?

Also, not sure if this has already been posted but the community on reddit are holding a "Global Restart Date" on Friday, June 10th. I'll probably start my second play though then and was wondering if anyone else in GAF will be playing? Here's the link to the thread on reddit

It would solely depend on how cheap you can get Dark Souls II for it to be worth it, speaking my own personal opinion of course. What they did to the gameplay was jarring but maybe you won't see it that way. Definitely get Dark Souls III though and Bloodborne if you have the possibility of playing that.

I'm very interested in the restart day. I'll probably participate as I loved PVP and co-op equally in Dark Souls. Best iteration of PVP in my opinion, so it'll be fun to see if everyone goes back.

Mistel

Banned
You should play it but the choice of version you get is up to you although scholar of the first sin has all the DLC.
Put her out of her misery for the Firekeeper's Soul \o/
She does have her uses to a point before you just kill her though.

Tarkus

The land of Velka:
Gwyn's estranged wife
😛😛😛

That's just my speculation. I might post supporting points if I don't get too rekt when going out tonight.

***IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED DS3, DO NOT READ THIS POST!!!

Reposting for the discovery of new information. The relationship between Gwyn, the
wife/mother Velka, her lover Seath, and their lovechild Priscilla the Crossbreed as well as Dark Sun Gwyndolin.
From unused content of DS3:
Gwyndolin's Finger
Ruined finger of Dark Sun Gwyndolin. The young crossbreed girl loved her brother, of whom all that remains is this ruined finger. Even so, her love for him will never falter…
Yes I know this likely refers to Yorshka, but look at her. The bolded contains the key point. Who does she resemble? What's in the tower below her? What does Aldrich's soul produce when transposed? She is Gwyndolin's sister as well, as she states it explicitly as well as Gwyn being her father. Could she have also been a Seath love child? There is an obvious connection. Might not be this one but just throwing my old speculation out with some more evidence.

llehuty

So, after 4 days out of town I came back to Dark Souls.

I kept working on Blightown after going all my way back to repair my weapon. I progressed super slowly, I was kind of tricky seeing where to progress. I feel like there are some leap of faiths that I was mising to get some sweet objects. I found a bonfire in the middle of it that looked quite helpful.

Anyway, I went all my way down and found a bonfire and a shortcut back to New Londo! In that shortcut there is a very suspicious area with three objects and some kind of dragon sleeping, big NOPE for now.

I had to change all my clothes to get the highest poison resistance equipment and now I look like a ninja. Right now, I'm expecting the boss of the area to appear at any given moment. For some reason an Invasion message flashed on the screen, even though I'm playing offline. I didn't expect that at all. Fortunately, it wasn't very difficult and managed to corner her and kill her quite fast.

I kept investigating all that swamp area. I got into a huge nest and got killed in seconds (a new NOPE area). I also went up a tree and got a fishy shield after an epic entrance. Really suspicious. So looks like there was a fake wall there. And another freaking fake wall after it, W.T.F, this game. And a bonfire waiting for me there. So I begin to go down, and I loving the environment, breaking the branches and everything, I decide to take some shortcuts to get some objects and suddenly I saw a shadowy figure. I jumped to it and, FUCK one of those mosquito things that cursed me before. I try to keep my cool, another one appears and both manage to curse me ;__;

So yeah, as last time, I take this as the ending point to today's session. I did some decent progress today, but it felt a bit weird not finding any single boss.

New "To Do" list:

*This time, for real, equiping a curse ready armour (found some in the swamp)
*Finish checking the swamp
*Do some leap of faiths at the beginning of Blightown

"Nope" places (In incressing order of Nopeness):

* Catacombs
* The depths cursing bugs section
* New Londo ghosts path
* Ice gollems on the dark forest
* Nest on Blightown swamp
* Area inside of the tree
* The tutorial area
* Sleeping Dragon
* Bridge Dragon

You did well to find the Great Hollow blind with the double illusory wall!

There are a few NPC invaders in the game, they all drop unique weapons and a nice chunk of souls so it's always worth being in human form in an area before you defeat the boss (invasions - NPC or other players - are not possible in areas where you have defeated the boss). You did miss one already in the Depths unfortunately, he pops up a few more times too but only if you meet him the first time iirc.

edit - Another tip about getting stuck in an area that's a pain to get out of. The Great Hollow is a one way journey, no shortcuts looping back, so if you go all the way down there, think twice whether you want to sit at another bonfire down there since you will have to make it all the way back up the way you came. At least for now.

Booshka

So, after 4 days out of town I came back to Dark Souls.

I kept working on Blightown after going all my way back to repair my weapon. I progressed super slowly, I was kind of tricky seeing where to progress. I feel like there are some leap of faiths that I was mising to get some sweet objects. I found a bonfire in the middle of it that looked quite helpful.

Anyway, I went all my way down and found a bonfire and a shortcut back to New Londo! In that shortcut there is a very suspicious area with three objects and some kind of dragon sleeping, big NOPE for now.

I had to change all my clothes to get the highest poison resistance equipment and now I look like a ninja. Right now, I'm expecting the boss of the area to appear at any given moment. For some reason an Invasion message flashed on the screen, even though I'm playing offline. I didn't expect that at all. Fortunately, it wasn't very difficult and managed to corner her and kill her quite fast.

I kept investigating all that swamp area. I got into a huge nest and got killed in seconds (a new NOPE area). I also went up a tree and got a fishy shield after an epic entrance. Really suspicious. So looks like there was a fake wall there. And another freaking fake wall after it, W.T.F, this game. And a bonfire waiting for me there. So I begin to go down, and I loving the environment, breaking the branches and everything, I decide to take some shortcuts to get some objects and suddenly I saw a shadowy figure. I jumped to it and, FUCK one of those mosquito things that cursed me before. I try to keep my cool, another one appears and both manage to curse me ;__;

So yeah, as last time, I take this as the ending point to today's session. I did some decent progress today, but it felt a bit weird not finding any single boss.

New "To Do" list:

*This time, for real, equiping a curse ready armour (found some in the swamp)
*Finish checking the swamp
*Do some leap of faiths at the beginning of Blightown

"Nope" places (In incressing order of Nopeness):

* Catacombs
* The depths cursing bugs section
* New Londo ghosts path
* Ice gollems on the dark forest
* Nest on Blightown swamp
* Area inside of the tree
* The tutorial area
* Sleeping Dragon
* Bridge Dragon

Keep these posts coming, living vicariously through your first playthrough is great. 5K hours played, it's hard to remember what it felt like for the first time.

usp84

So there will be a Global Restart Day for dark souls on Friday as I saw on reddit.Will be nice to play the game with many people online again

KLoWn

Just beat the game for the first time. Damn good stuff.

I'll have to say Gwyn was kinda of a disappointment though, too easy. Ornstein & Smough remains the toughest motherfuckers in the game imo. Didn't really have that much problem with any of the other bosses.

My biggest problem with this game is the same one I had with the other Souls games I've played (DS3 & Bloodborne), running to the bosses after I've died. Sooo fuckin boring and unnecessary. It blows my mind that this is still a thing in the new games. It does nothing but wastes your time. It doesn't take any skill, just time, and I haven't much of that to spare nowadays.

All in all, as I already said, damn good game, with some annoying flaws.

Booshka

You need boss runs for the online component to work. From Soft wants Player Hosts to be at the risk of invasion if they are going to summon for the Boss Fight, it's also the corpse run risk for your bloodstain. If you just respawned in front of the boss fog, it would break both of those mechanics. Most runs to the boss can be done in 30 seconds or less, and there are shortcuts for you to unlock in most areas to make it even faster.

KLoWn

You need boss runs for the online component to work. From Soft wants Player Hosts to be at the risk of invasion if they are going to summon for the Boss Fight, it's also the corpse run risk for your bloodstain. If you just respawned in front of the boss fog, it would break both of those mechanics. Most runs to the boss can be done in 30 seconds or less, and there are shortcuts for you to unlock in most areas to make it even faster.
Well, I still greatly dislike it. Mostly because, as I said, I don't have a lot of time to play these days and it wastes too much of it, and second, I never used any summons of any kind for boss fights, so it's not something that really concerns me.

That said, this is actually the first explanation I've gotten that makes sense regarding the boss runs, so thanks for that.

In all the argument threads about Souls games, easy mode, b-team etc, etc - that's the first logical explanation I've read for boss run backs too, kudos Booshka!

Hi Souls-GAF!

First post in a Souls thread but I just recently beat Dark Souls after putting it down in frustration -- over four years ago! It's now in my top 5 of last gen. (I'm not telling you anything you don't know.)

I'm sure this question has been asked to death, but - I have all of the Dark Souls games at my disposal, and also Demon's Souls! I was really looking forward to starting DSII:SoTFS this upcoming week, but then I thought about the fact that I have a new PS3 and a shiny physical copy of Demon's Souls. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about which to start first.

My only fear is that, because I usually have limited time to play, if for some reason DeS doesn't click with me it might just turn me off the whole series for a while. I know this sounds irrational but I find with my depression/anxiety, I have an extremely difficult time keeping focused and being interested in even things I love. Sorry if this is a dumb question!

llehuty

So, I didn't have the chance to play a lot today, and I didn't advance much:

So here I am, at the bonfire inside of the tree, I use the object to remove the curse (which I keep forgetting the name) and equip a curse resistant equipment that I got recently. I get out of there and decide to check the swamps, the boss must be somewhere, but it's definitely not down there. I'm starting to think that I should check the very beginning of the area, which I have the feeling is the only section where I could have missed one path.

Anyway, I see my inventory and see that I have one of those objects to upgrade the estus. Thanks to the awesome shortcut I go back to firelink shrine just to fin the girl is dead and the bonfire is "off". I don't even know what triggered this, but anyway. I got an object from the dead body that says I can invade the one that killed my fire keeper... but for some reason, I can't use the object. I burn some humanity to reverse hollowing, but still can't use the object. I go to areas were I haven't killed any boss (New Londo ruins, Blightown) and I still can't use the object. I don't see anywhere in the text form the object that is an online object or anything... this is just weird an annoying, because it means that now my central hub has been moved to the smith next to the church.

Anyway, taking into account that now I'm human, I decide to go back to the Depths to investigate VERY CAREFULLY, the area with the monsters that can curse me (previously a NOPE area). So I manage to take every enemy down individually (with some cheap tricks like killing one through jail bars) and got a sweet ring that makes me recover health when hitting enemies. I switched it wih the one that recovers stamina faster, which I will probably change back when I will face a boss fight.

So after that, and with the spare souls I have and some random titanites I got, I upgraded the Scimitar to +9, got another object to cure the curse (just in case) and finally bought the bench to repair weapons and armors in every bonfire, before it comes back to bite me in the ass when something breaks in the middle of nowhere.

Now I'm a bit lost, I guess? I do want to find the path to the underground bell, and I was expecting to find the final boss in Blighttown... but maybe there is no boss, I'm a bit confused (but it's part of the fun :p)

Possible TO DOs:

* Check the nest in the swamp, I'm now thinking of skipping the two anoying enemies at the door
* Recheck the upper side of Blightown
* Check the catacombs

Still NOPE (in increasing order of nopeness):

*New Lonndo ghosts
*Dark forest basin ice gollems
*Interior of the tree
*Tutorial area
*Sleeping dragon
*Bridge Dragon

There are a few NPC invaders in the game, they all drop unique weapons and a nice chunk of souls so it's always worth being in human form in an area before you defeat the boss (invasions - NPC or other players - are not possible in areas where you have defeated the boss). You did miss one already in the Depths unfortunately, he pops up a few more times too but only if you meet him the first time iirc.
Ha, interesting.

Demon's is a little shorter than DS1, where as DS2 is definately longer than DS1 if that influences your decision.

It does, thanks! I've read that Demon's is a little bit closer to DS1 in many ways and that DS2 brings some changes and quality of life improvements. I'll start Demon's tonight.

DS1 defeated me years ago but I admired the games so much that I bought DS1 and DS2 on sale earlier this year. I got DS3 at launch because I don't learn lessons well. I played a few hours of 3 and decided, hell, I'll jump into the first again, and crushed it. Very rewarding!

For the past month or so it feels like Dark Souls is all that's kept me going.

Booshka

So here I am, at the bonfire inside of the tree, I use the object to remove the curse (which I keep forgetting the name) and equip a curse resistant equipment that I got recently. I get out of there and decide to check the swamps, the boss must be somewhere, but it's definitely not down there. I'm starting to think that I should check the very beginning of the area, which I have the feeling is the only section where I could have missed one path.

Anyway, I see my inventory and see that I have one of those objects to upgrade the estus. Thanks to the awesome shortcut I go back to firelink shrine just to fin the girl is dead and the bonfire is "off". I don't even know what triggered this, but anyway. I got an object from the dead body that says I can invade the one that killed my fire keeper... but for some reason, I can't use the object. I burn some humanity to reverse hollowing, but still can't use the object. I go to areas were I haven't killed any boss (New Londo ruins, Blightown) and I still can't use the object. I don't see anywhere in the text form the object that is an online object or anything... this is just weird an annoying, because it means that now my central hub has been moved to the smith next to the church.

Anyway, taking into account that now I'm human, I decide to go back to the Depths to investigate VERY CAREFULLY, the area with the monsters that can curse me (previously a NOPE area). So I manage to take every enemy down individually (with some cheap tricks like killing one through jail bars) and got a sweet ring that makes me recover health when hitting enemies. I switched it wih the one that recovers stamina faster, which I will probably change back when I will face a boss fight.

So after that, and with the spare souls I have and some random titanites I got, I upgraded the Scimitar to +9, got another object to cure the curse (just in case) and finally bought the bench to repair weapons and armors in every bonfire, before it comes back to bite me in the ass when something breaks in the middle of nowhere.

Now I'm a bit lost, I guess? I do want to find the path to the underground bell, and I was expecting to find the final boss in Blighttown... but maybe there is no boss, I'm a bit confused (but it's part of the fun :p)

Possible TO DOs:

* Check the nest in the swamp, I'm now thinking of skipping the two anoying enemies at the door
* Check the catacombs

*New Lonndo ghosts
*Interior of the tree
*Tutorial area
*Sleeping dragon
*Bridge Dragon

Ha, interesting.
It's so great that you have a +9 weapon and are still wandering around in Blighttown.

keep wandering around in Blighttown and you will find a boss

Unai

Possible TO DOs:

* Check the catacombs

*New Lonndo ghosts
*Interior of the tree
*Tutorial area
*Sleeping dragon
*Bridge Dragon

Ha, interesting.

You don't need to
go the the upper side of Blightown unless you want to find some items that you might have missed, but there's nothing really important there.
Some people straight up skip that part of the game. Your "Possible TO DOs" are very good otherwise.

Manu

You know how everybody has *that* boss that always gives you trouble, no matter what? For me it's still the Gargoyles.

I made a new character and started a new run, and got my ass handed to my by the gargoyles a bunch of times until I said "fuck it" and summoned Solaire because I couldn't be bothered to beat them in a fair fight. I've one shot every boss in this run... except for the gargoyles. I hate them. Always have, always will.

You know how everybody has *that* boss that always gives you trouble, no matter what? For me it's still the Gargoyles.

I made a new character and started a new run, and got my ass handed to my by the gargoyles a bunch of times until I said "fuck it" and summoned Solaire because I couldn't be bothered to beat them in a fair fight. I've one shot every boss in this run... except for the gargoyles. I hate them. Always have, always will.

Did you cut their tails? =P

I've usually got power within and a fully upgraded pyro glove by the time I do Gargoyles, so they go down in 3 or 4 great combustion blasts total. I do them last thing before going to Sen's though, I like keeping the Parish open as long as possible on a run because I like low-level PvP.

llehuty

Short progress also today. Blighttown spoilers ahead, for anyone on early stages n their 1st playthrough.

Went all the way up to top of Blighttown (it's defintely way more annoying in the inverse sense), and got a
KATANA
in a roof. Going to put my next 4 levels on strength just to keep that option open although it does look really fragile. I think I will level it up, because I don't see myself putting normal titanites on armour or anything else.

Anyway, went back down, did some minor exploration and decided to cross the two guys in the nest and ends up they would do nothing if I don't attack them -_-. And actually the boss is there! I tried 3 times and I couldn't beat it, but it does look doable with some patience. I equiped the mysterious witch ring back since it also has a witch on the name, just in case (lol).

I was so distracted by the new area banner combined with the 2 monsters unleashing the larvae... it was there all along :p

To DO list: KILL THE WITCH!

I've been playing Dark Souls on the PC off and on again for the last month, finishing up a few cheevos. DSCM-Net usually hovered around 1000-2000 I think. Today, it's shot up to 3000, and rising. Almost triple the usual average, pretty awesome. I'm loving Global Restart Day.

silva1991

Gargoyles are the easy version of Man eaters in DeS

I'm sure you you will have more trouble against them if you ever played DeS again.

Did you cut their tails? =P

I always have wondered I their tail weapons are farmable

like will I get endless axes if cut their tails and killed my self over and over?

Manu

Gargoyles are the easy version of Man eaters in DeS

I'm sure you you will have more trouble against them if you ever played DeS again.

Last time I played DeS, I used the Dragon Bone Smasher against the Maneaters and got em first try. But yeah, they're usually a bitch too.

like will I get endless axes if cut their tails and killed my self over and over?

They're not. You only get the axe the first time you cut the tail.

The instant the tail is cut, you get the weapon and a flag is set that the boss' tail is now cut. Even if you die and respawn, or quit the game and fight the boss again, the tail will remain cut until New Game.

poodpick

I didn't realize that the slab from the stray demon wasn't automatically looted. Would it still be there if I went back to the
asylum
?

Top Bottom