• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Chris R

3/4 bosses down, now to investigate the skeleton area I guess. 4 Kings was easy when I just ran straight into them, had no issues with swinging and missing then, they also didn't purple bomb me.

Trying to decide what to do about my sword though, it feels like my +5 Black Knight Sword is starting to fall off, I'd love something that attacks a little quicker too

Also, the DLC stuff, can I do it after I beat the final boss or not? If I can't can I do it now or should I do the skeleton stuff?

Also, the DLC stuff, can I do it after I beat the final boss or not? If I can't can I do it now or should I do the skeleton stuff?
Defeating the final boss throws you into NG+ immediately, so do everything you want to do before taking him on. It doesn't really matter what order you do anything in between getting the Lord Vessel and the end of the game, it's all up to you.

Well done on 4 Kings btw!

tebunker

Banned
3/4 bosses down, now to investigate the skeleton area I guess. 4 Kings was easy when I just ran straight into them, had no issues with swinging and missing then, they also didn't purple bomb me.

Trying to decide what to do about my sword though, it feels like my +5 Black Knight Sword is starting to fall off, I'd love something that attacks a little quicker too

You can use that sword all the way through the end game. In fact it is pretty close to my favorite weapon. I'd recommend something like Quelaags fury sword or the Chaos sword as a secondary, but it is all about what your build is for the scaling.

You may find that you just need to tweak your stats

So I'm playing through the game for the first time and during my encounter with Havel, he fell off the stairs and died as soon as he swung and killed me. Now it seems I am out Havel's Ring for the rest of my playthroughs (until NG+). The ring seemed infinitely more useful than my current ones, does anyone have an extra they'd be willing to give me? I can probably beat the game without it, but I think I'd make my life much easier.

I'm sad it isn't handled like Bloodborne where the item would be where he spawned once I reloaded the game, but no dice.

tebunker

Banned
So I'm playing through the game for the first time and during my encounter with Havel, he fell off the stairs and died as soon as he swung and killed me. Now it seems I am out Havel's Ring for the rest of my playthroughs (until NG+). The ring seemed infinitely more useful than my current ones, does anyone have an extra they'd be willing to give me? I can probably beat the game without it, but I think I'd make my life much easier.

I'm sad it isn't handled like Bloodborne where the item would be where he spawned once I reloaded the game, but no dice.

Thats odd it should definitely be at his spawn pr really close to where he fell off. It is probably due to some odd quirk of you dying and him dying at the same time. I'd offer mine up but I am pc, so not sure we can get together

rahji

After beating the game I wanted to play it again on NG+, but my motivation is slipping rapidly. Now I am at Sens's Fortress in NG+ and haven't touched the game in a week because I remembered the shitty area and don't want to do that again. I wonder if it is worth the pain. Actually I just want to see the alternative ending.

After beating the game I wanted to play it again on NG+, but my motivation is slipping rapidly. Now I am at Sens's Fortress in NG+ and haven't touched the game in a week because I remembered the shitty area and don't want to do that again. I wonder if it is worth the pain. Actually I just want to see the alternative ending.

Fortress is pretty short on the second yun, you can just simply past trought it in lees than 10 mins, aggro the snakes from distance and watch them fell

I managed to get through most of ng+ without much problems so far. Just beat Ornstein & Smough this morning with the recommended MGS on my second try. Time for some lords to get slain.

So after managing to beat ng+ yesterday, I started ng++ today and rushed through half of the game to craft the last boss weapons which took me probably about two hours.
As a conclusion I finally obtained my first souls platinum trophy all by my own in less than 60 hours playtime. Could have been way less, but I took my time with the game when I started with a new character and read through the description of every single item I came across.

While I still think this is the best souls game, my second playthrough reminded me of some flaws this amazing game has:

- Not being able to use multiple items at once (especially souls) was annoying.
- Not being able to gift multiple covenant items at once was even more annoying. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to have the player gift 30 humanity to the chaos servant but only one at a time.
- Bed of Chaos is the by far worst designed boss fight in the souls series. I actually like gimmick bosses but this always felt so luck based. I had to do every freaking encounter at least three times because I got hit by the hands and swept into a pit after every phase.

Besides these flaws I had a lot of fun with this game and enjoyed almost every minute of it. Maybe I will try to get the bloodborne platinum next.

So after managing to beat ng+ yesterday, I started ng++ today and rushed through half of the game to craft the last boss weapons which took me probably about two hours.
As a conclusion I finally obtained my first souls platinum trophy all by my own in less than 60 hours playtime. Could have been way less, but I took my time with the game when I started with a new character and read through the description of every single item I came across.

While I still think this is the best souls game, my second playthrough reminded me of some flaws this amazing game has:

- Not being able to use multiple items at once (especially souls) was annoying.
- Not being able to gift multiple covenant items at once was even more annoying. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to have the player gift 30 humanity to the chaos servant but only one at a time.
- Bed of Chaos is the by far worst designed boss fight in the souls series. I actually like gimmick bosses but this always felt so luck based. I had to do every freaking encounter at least three times because I got hit by the hands and swept into a pit after every phase.

Besides these flaws I had a lot of fun with this game and enjoyed almost every minute of it. Maybe I will try to get the bloodborne platinum next.

Techically it fits with the lore, you are consumig a soul and its takes time to drink each one , this is not an arcade like game like skyrim or new AA games where you can eat or spend everything at once, Dark Souls 3 already "fixed" that and you can spend everything at once but giving every offering to the covenants sometimes bugs the covenant rank up only giving you one level rank up for all the offering

I have no idea if that issue was fixed, you have to be careful of what are you doing since the game have autosave in every action you do.

Eh, I may be one of the few who understood and liked the boss idea but is annoying to die by one single hand swipe and fell

Chris R

Beat the first boss of the DLC on my first try, but it was probably the closest I've been yet with a boss for some time.

After that I decided to try to tackle the catacombs, and got as far as the first bonfire in the Tomb of the Giant... fuck that place so much. Are there any warpable bonfires ahead or am I screwed until I beat this place?

Belakor

Banned
Monumental game,unfortunately it could not be topped by the sequels

This game is like Homer's Odyssey,nothing quite like it in a long time

Beat the first boss of the DLC on my first try, but it was probably the closest I've been yet with a boss for some time.

After that I decided to try to tackle the catacombs, and got as far as the first bonfire in the Tomb of the Giant... fuck that place so much. Are there any warpable bonfires ahead or am I screwed until I beat this place?
iirc, the first bonfires in both Catacombs and TotG are warpable.

This is annoying, but in practice it takes no more than about 5 minutes to offer 30 covenant items - of course when you're doing it, it feels like an eternity! What blows my mind is in DS2 they added using multiple soul items, but DIDN'T fix offering covenant items! All is well in DS3 though :)
And congrats on the trophy!

I just realized how dark souls games the best berserk game out right now. This series draws so much inspiration from berserk its crazy. I may do "guts" build run for my NG+.

Tarkus

I just realized how dark souls games the best berserk game out right now. This series draws so much inspiration from berserk its crazy. I may do "guts" build run for my NG+.
Since you mentioned Berserk, I just started watching the anime and have a question. Is Griffeth in love with Guts and does he want him sexually?

Chris R

iirc, the first bonfires in both Catacombs and TotG are warpable.

I didn't see anything Catacombs related, but I might have skipped a bonfire? I only lit the one by the first switch you have to activate.

And maybe I'm not seeing the tomb one because I'm at it? I'm not 100% sure if the game doesn't show the warable location if you are at the location or not though.

I didn't see anything Catacombs related, but I might have skipped a bonfire? I only lit the one by the first switch you have to activate.

And maybe I'm not seeing the tomb one because I'm at it? I'm not 100% sure if the game doesn't show the warable location if you are at the location or not though.
Just looked at this: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/bonfires

The Catacombs one isn't warpable, I thought it was for some reason. You're right that the one you're currently at won't be on the list.

Chris R

Just looked at this: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/bonfires

The Catacombs one isn't warpable, I thought it was for some reason. You're right that the one you're currently at won't be on the list.

Ah OK good, just didn't want to warp away and then have to do all the catacomb bullshit again lol

edit: Guy at the bottom of the tombs is easy enough, but fuck the respawning small skellys and the sometimes joining the fight big ass ones. Dude takes out his own help half the time, but the other half they just combo me down stun locked :( Didn't see a channeler in my loop around his area either. Guessing the boss is the guy keeping them not dead :(

Chris R

Well, ok. Just down to two bosses I think. The end of the DLC boss and the end of the game boss.

DLC stuff has been hard, but just right with the hardness, the knight and dragon took several tries each, but nothing they did seemed cheap or unfair. Only beat the dragon because of the mushrooms you find earlier, needed all three of them. In my only attempt at the last DLC boss last night he just destroyed me :(

Edit: game done! Beat the dlc boss first try tonight but the final boss took me four tries. Great game though, wish I would have played it sooner

Manu

Have you guys seen this yet? I mean, HOLY SHIT.

tumblr_nf3vwlVs2i1tc88pdo1_400.gif

Veelk

Banned
Dark Souls 2 question:

Been wanting to get more Souls into my life before Nioh comes around.

I may or may not be getting a computer upgrade relatively soon. It's pretty up in the air. As is, I have Dark Souls 1 on my PC, but it only runs on 30 fps.

So I was thinking about maybe getting DS2, but if it's preferable to get it on PC, I can wait out for the upgrade.

So, DS2. PC or PS4?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dark Souls 2 question:

Been wanting to get more Souls into my life before Nioh comes around.

I may or may not be getting a computer upgrade relatively soon. It's pretty up in the air. As is, I have Dark Souls 1 on my PC, but it only runs on 30 fps.

So I was thinking about maybe getting DS2, but if it's preferable to get it on PC, I can wait out for the upgrade.

So, DS2. PC or PS4?
If your PC only runs DS1 at 30 fps (I'm assuming at 1080p resolution), I would assume it is unlikely to run DS2 any better, so get Scholar of the First Sin on the PS4, as it is a buttery smooth 60fps.

Has anyone ever got 2 sacks from the Butchers in the Depths before? I thought it was a guaranteed drop off either one or the other, if the first didn't drop it, the second would - but I just got one from each. Never had that happen before, it just stuck out at me.

I'm back in Lordran after a few weeks/months break from Souls and loving it - no melee/no shield/no estus run (catalyst right hand, talisman left hand). Not that using spells is a challenge per se, the pew-pews make a lot of stuff easy, it just changes things up and this is one of my favourite builds actually. I always like in Souls how depending on how you're playing, different bosses and areas can be wildly different in how you approach them. With no blocking and no chugging, timing and spacing take over from close-quarters evasion for example.

Has anyone ever got 2 sacks from the Butchers in the Depths before? I thought it was a guaranteed drop off either one or the other, if the first didn't drop it, the second would - but I just got one from each. Never had that happen before, it just stuck out at me.

I'm back in Lordran after a few weeks/months break from Souls and loving it - no melee/no shield/no estus run (catalyst right hand, talisman left hand). Not that using spells is a challenge per se, the pew-pews make a lot of stuff easy, it just changes things up and this is one of my favourite builds actually. I always like in Souls how depending on how you're playing, different bosses and areas can be wildly different in how you approach them. With no blocking and no chugging, timing and spacing take over from close-quarters evasion for example.

how high are you leveling dex out of curiousity?

Veelk

Banned
If your PC only runs DS1 at 30 fps (I'm assuming at 1080p resolution), I would assume it is unlikely to run DS2 any better, so get Scholar of the First Sin on the PS4, as it is a buttery smooth 60fps.

Well, yeah, but I'm almost probably getting an upgrade soon. That's what I meant.

Is there any advantage to getting the PS4 version if you have an optimized PC?

how high are you leveling dex out of curiousity?
I'm not. My preference is for low level usually any way, currently at SL20 and in TotG after getting the Lord Vessel, so I dumped all my points into INT except for a couple into faith just to be able to use Heal.

I'd guess you're asking because of the increased casting speed with high DEX?

I'm not. My preference is for low level usually any way, currently at SL20 and in TotG after getting the Lord Vessel, so I dumped all my points into INT except for a couple into faith just to be able to use Heal.

I'd guess you're asking because of the increased casting speed with high DEX?

Yeah I figure it would come in handy against certain bosses.

Didn't realize you were doing low SL run as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, yeah, but I'm almost probably getting an upgrade soon. That's what I meant.

Is there any advantage to getting the PS4 version if you have an optimized PC?
Well if you can run it in 4k or something, I guess? I don't know about modding or anything, but a strong PC always has a bit of an edge. In this case though, it's one of the rare games where it isn't a really big edge at all. The playerbase is probably bigger on PS4, but I can't be sure, with so many versions split everywhere.

Veelk

Banned
Well if you can run it in 4k or something, I guess? I don't know about modding or anything, but a strong PC always has a bit of an edge. In this case though, it's one of the rare games where it isn't a really big edge at all. The playerbase is probably bigger on PS4, but I can't be sure, with so many versions split everywhere.

Playerbase isn't relevant to me in particular. I am an antisocial animal and not interested in invasions or coop. It's actually annoying on DS1 because there is no option to disconnect unless you turn off your wifi.

I don't know if my new comp will run it on 4K, but yeah, mods give it the advantage I guess.

I'll wait on the better PC, I guess.

Cat Party

Question: I never beat this game back when it came out. I beat S & O, but then I found the game to be just too overwhelming, and I had other games to play. Well, I've since beaten DS2 and DS3 many times. I'm thinking about going back and beating the original. But I'd have to start from scratch. I know the ins and outs of different builds in DS2 and DS3, but I don't remember what worked well in the original. What are the best builds to pursue in the original? Quality, pyro, faith, etc.? I always play one-handed melee with a shield, but I mix in spells if they are worth investing in. Any tips?

Question: I never beat this game back when it came out. I beat S & O, but then I found the game to be just too overwhelming, and I had other games to play. Well, I've since beaten DS2 and DS3 many times. I'm thinking about going back and beating the original. But I'd have to start from scratch. I know the ins and outs of different builds in DS2 and DS3, but I don't remember what worked well in the original. What are the best builds to pursue in the original? Quality, pyro, faith, etc.? I always play one-handed melee with a shield, but I mix in spells if they are worth investing in. Any tips?

You can't go wrong with Pyromancy + Dex.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Going through the game for the first time and currently in Anor Londo.

If it wasn't Blighttown, it's Sen's Fortress. If it wasn't Sen's Fortress it's the damn archers in Anor Londo.

As much as I like the game there's far too many little annoying areas like that which kills my enjoyment. When the game is well designed it's a ton of fun. Having narrow walkways everywhere where enemies can knock you to your death whether you can block or not isn't very good game design.

Unai

Going through the game for the first time and currently in Anor Londo.

If it wasn't Blighttown, it's Sen's Fortress. If it wasn't Sen's Fortress it's the damn archers in Anor Londo.

As much as I like the game there's far too many little annoying areas like that which kills my enjoyment. When the game is well designed it's a ton of fun. Having narrow walkways everywhere where enemies can knock you to your death whether you can block or not isn't very good game design.

Funny because I love Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo so much. These are some of my favorite areas in the series. Easy way to go pass the archers in Anor londo.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Funny because I love Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo so much. These are some of my favorite areas in the series. Easy way to go pass the archers in Anor londo.

Goddamn well it's really that easy huh. Thanks for the video!

In retrospect I actually like Blighttown but the first time through was a nightmare (thank God the poison dart guys don't respawn)

You can't really go wrong, honestly. If you've beaten the other two you shouldn't have too much trouble.

You might re-roll after playing a bit and figuring stuff out.

Bronetta

I just got to Ornstein & Smough and I seem to have hit a brick wall, not in terms of the boss but the weapons.

The Crystal Halberd I picked up was doing great against the knights in Anor Londo but it seems to have broken with no way to repair (thanks for eating my titanite chunks you fucker). What other weapons can I use that would be effective here?

Everything I've tried does pitiful damage even after upgrading a few times. 25 Strength and 18 dexterity.

I just got to Ornstein & Smough and I seem to have hit a brick wall, not in terms of the boss but the weapons.

The Crystal Halberd I picked up was doing great against the knights in Anor Londo but it seems to have broken with no way to repair (thanks for eating my titanite chunks you fucker). What other weapons can I use that would be effective here?

Everything I've tried does pitiful damage even after upgrading a few times. 25 Strength and 18 dexterity.
Find a weapon that takes advantage of your stats, which would be a quality weapon - ones that scales with both STR and DEX, something like the Claymore (obvious choice) or even the Halberd since you had the Crystal one. As you found out crystal weapons break - they do get "repaired" when you upgrade them though, so that is one way to prolong their life (if you think it's worth it).

Chunks are farmable very very shortly, actually farmable from the very start of the game, but O&S are doable with a +10 and now you can buy large shards from a couple of merchants you can get any weapon up to +10.

Bronetta

Find a weapon that takes advantage of your stats, which would be a quality weapon - ones that scales with both STR and DEX, something like the Claymore (obvious choice) or even the Halberd since you had the Crystal one. As you found out crystal weapons break - they do get "repaired" when you upgrade them though, so that is one way to prolong their life (if you think it's worth it).

Chunks are farmable very very shortly, actually farmable from the very start of the game, but O&S are doable with a +10 and now you can buy large shards from a couple of merchants you can get any weapon up to +10.

I don't think the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo can upgrade weapons to +10. Based on Googling it sounds like only the blacksmith outside Sen's Fortress can upgrade +5 to +6 and there's no way to get back to him.

Edit: Just found out I can travel back to Sen's Fortress so gonna do that to grind and level up another weapon.

I don't think the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo can upgrade weapons to +10. Based on Googling it sounds like only the blacksmith outside Sen's Fortress can upgrade +5 to +6 and there's no way to get back to him.

Edit: Just found out I can travel back to Sen's Fortress so gonna do that to grind and level up another weapon.
Yep, only Andre can upgrade from +5 to 6+ (and +10 to +11) but after that any blacksmith or you at a bonfire with the upgrade box can continue upgrading.

It's really quick to get back to Andre if you've got the cage key for Sen's Fortress, don't sit at any bonfires and you can homebone back to Anor Londo when done.

Bronetta

Yep, only Andre can upgrade from +5 to 6+ (and +10 to +11) but after that any blacksmith or you at a bonfire with the upgrade box can continue upgrading.

It's really quick to get back to Andre if you've got the cage key for Sen's Fortress, don't sit at any bonfires and you can homebone back to Anor Londo when done.

Haha that would be ideal but knowing my luck I'll probably get slapped off a ledge by a lizardman.

Top Bottom