• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Been a while since I made one of these ;) Working with Fangamer to maybe get these printed in some way

inktober_15_day_04_color1.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I still to this day reference your inktober work, thank you for sharing! Please let us know if prints happen, the colors in this are fantastic.

Thats so nice to hear, thank you! So as for that print in particular, Fangamer will randomly ship a mini print of it as a free add-on to an order. I think they mentioned its for Winter, so in a few months :)

Cat Party

Thanks to the people above for the advice. I finished the game last night. Balder Side Sword +15 at 40 Dex is incredible.

After Anor Londo, the only thing I had any trouble with was the Bed of Chaos. I beat the catacombs, tomb of Giants, and Gwyn without dying once. I fucked up most of the NPC questlines, but I did get to see Solaire's end :(.

Oh, and I now understand why everyone criticizes Lost Izalith.

Thanks to the people above for the advice. I finished the game last night. Balder Side Sword +15 at 40 Dex is incredible.

After Anor Londo, the only thing I had any trouble with was the Bed of Chaos. I beat the catacombs, tomb of Giants, and Gwyn without dying once. I fucked up most of the NPC questlines, but I did get to see Solaire's end :(.

They don't call it the Balder Swag Sword for nothing.

Try a Faith run!

Hobobloke

Did you do the DLC areas?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Going through the game for the first time and currently in Anor Londo.

If it wasn't Blighttown, it's Sen's Fortress. If it wasn't Sen's Fortress it's the damn archers in Anor Londo.

As much as I like the game there's far too many little annoying areas like that which kills my enjoyment. When the game is well designed it's a ton of fun. Having narrow walkways everywhere where enemies can knock you to your death whether you can block or not isn't very good game design.

i can't deny those areas frustrated me but with everything else in this game it's just a matter of learning how to properly deal with it. your first time is always going to be rough. it might seem completely insane and bullshit but stick with it and you'll be fine.

p.s just wait until the catacombs/ToG ahahha. i hated that area i just noped my way through it fast as possible.

Raging Spaniard

I remember Lost Izalith being "kind of" annoying, but nowhere near as bad as people claim, then again I never thought I had to fight all those giants, it seemed like the game being "yeah man this shit is here for flavor youre not supposed to actually try and fight these dudes"

Then again, I was playing sorcerer which is basically easy mode.

Breath-taking work as always Raging Spaniard :)

p.s just wait until the catacombs/ToG ahahha. i hated that area i just noped my way through it fast as possible.
I can undetstand TotG being annoying, but Catacombs is one of my favourite area in DS1, a great area for PvP hijinks and a fun challenge to do very early on repeat playthroughs - Facing Pinwheel as your first boss can make an otherwise joke boss in to a legitimate pain in the ass.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
i can't deny those areas frustrated me but with everything else in this game it's just a matter of learning how to properly deal with it. your first time is always going to be rough. it might seem completely insane and bullshit but stick with it and you'll be fine.

I actually beat the game a few weeks back and really loved it. In retrospect some areas that I should have hated like Blighttown and Tomb of Giants weren't bad at all because they're so brief. I definitely didn't like the Catacombs or Depths (sewers). Its not that they aren't well designed or anything, the atmosphere and aesthetics just aren't fun to wade through. (some people don't like water levels by default for example)

I liked Dark Souls so much that I went back to Demons Souls and am just about half way done with it.

I like Dark Souls so much I play it instead of new games lol

The series is just a complete culmination of so much that I enjoy in video games. Was ruminating last night while going through the
drained
New Londo Ruins that they really nail the abyssal atmosphere like no other.

Once Dark Souls III GOTY releases I can't wait to see how the trilogy ends, if it does at all!

Stevey

On the bridge between Sen's and Andre I can hear like a rumbling and breaking of trees. Never noticed this before.
Any ideas?

labx

Banned
Guys recently I'm having a question that is buggin' my mind. If your "job" in DS3 as unkindle and potentially hollow (if you wish too) is to keep the flame alive why at the end when you acquire the souls of the lords you have to fight with the Soul of Cinder if she/he/it basically have your same job, to guard the first flame and maintain it alive?

(This question is based on the To Link the Fire' ending)

I know this is very off topic but I don't know where else to go Souls GAF... I need help in Dark souls 2 Scholar for PS4 in Hunters Copse so bad :-( SOS, please & thanks.

In my first run, level 49 done 3 co-ops not to filmilar with the soul memory mechanic.

entremet

Do you have any sort of great shield? Sif's attacks can go right through most normal shields and cause a lot of damage.

Eagle shield.

Is that good?

I just opened Sen's Fortress, but I wanna beat Sif before that.

My build out is:

Drake Sword
Eagle Shield
And Elite Knight Armor
I have the Wolf Ring and Havel's Ring

Endurance is at 18.

But I've been looking at YT videos and they make it seem so easy. I block some of attacks, but she goes through me like butter. I try to stay close, but eventually she gets me with one of her swings or two and it's over.

Any tips for Sif?

It just wrecks me.

I'm a melee character.

What's your equipment load?

Eagle shield.

Is that good?

My build out is:

Drake Sword
Eagle Shield
And Elite Knight Armor

Endurance is at 18.

But I've been looking at YT videos and they make it seem so easy. I block some of attacks, but she goes through me like butter. I try to stay close, but eventually she gets me with one of her swings or two and it's over.

Take off enough armor so you have below 25% equip load, allowing you to fast roll. Anticipate the attacks and roll underneath Sif's legs. Get a few swings in then roll out. Don't bother blocking.

hope that helps

Stevey

Eagle shield.

Is that good?

My build out is:

Drake Sword
Eagle Shield
And Elite Knight Armor

Endurance is at 18.

Dump the Drake Sword.
How is your strength and dexterity?

And you probably would have mentioned it, but do you have Pyromancy assets?

I'm taking a break from
crystal cavern
nonsense to and decided to track down the Asylum Demon for fun. The view from that area is one of my favorites, and the whole
raven
mechanic is really fun.

entremet

Dump the Drake Sword.
How is your strength and dexterity?
Strength is 20.
Dexterity is 18.

My equip is at around 50 percent.

I do have some magic. Soul Arrow and A Fire Pyro spell.

What are some good substitutes to the Drake? It's been my workhorse.

edit: tried the lighter armor and weapon. I have POS Falchion. Got fucked up fam. Tough boss. My roll timing just sucks and then I'm dead after two hits.

Are you quite early in the game? Sif can be done very early in the game but it isn't necessary to kill him (her?) so early and can be done much later when it will be a much easier fight as you will have a far more upgraded weapon.

In general unless you are tanking hits with a great shield it's far better to roll through his attacks (roll in to them) and when you are under him attack. I find it easier locked off when under him as you can position yourself a bit better. The camera tends to go buckwild when close to this big enemies and can throw your lock off any way if he jumps back.

Pyro also melts Sif. Great Combustion will put that pup to sleep.

Like everyone is saying: Dupe the Drake Sword asap.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Strength is 20.
Dexterity is 18.
Then don't use the Drake Sword. Your str/dex doesn't increase your attack power with that weapon, as it has 0 scaling. Why are you even using that, did you read a guide telling you to? :p

There's a claymore on the bridge where the dragon breathes fire. You can use that instead, upgrade it to +10 and you will do more damage than the Drake Sword with a similar moveset.

Strength is 20.
Dexterity is 18.

My equip is at around 50 percent.

I do have some magic. Soul Arrow and A Fire Pyro spell.

What are some good substitutes to the Drake? It's been my workhorse.

edit: tried the lighter armor and weapon. I have POS Falchion. Got fucked up fam. Tough boss. My roll timing just sucks and then I'm dead after two hits.

There's a good chance you don't need to fight Sif right now. Go explore another area and come back later. Have you done Blighttown? Sen's Fortress? Depths? Moonlight Butterfly? Hydra?

entremet

There's a good chance you don't need to fight Sif right now. Go explore another area and come back later. Have you done Blighttown? Sen's Fortress? Depths? Moonlight Butterfly? Hydra?

All of these. I just went to Anor Lando. Got frustrated. I'm in some painting world now.

Why I had the Drake Sword? I think I googled good beginners weapons and it was one of them.

tebunker

Banned
All of these. I just went to Anor Lando. Got frustrated. I'm in some painting world now.

Why I had the Drake Sword? I think I googled good beginners weapons and it was one of them.

It is a good beginning sword but it hits its limits right about where you are.

Me personally I ran a bastard sword and then the black knights sword with a high str/dex build. You should be using one of those, or a claymore, 2 handing it and using the shield that restores stamina that you get by the Hydra lake after the black knight.

The key with Sif is getting under her and going to town on the rear legs.

I highly recommend farming some Mobs in both painted world and anor londo.

Beginners weapon means literally to use in the beginning of the game. Drake Sword does better damage than just about any other weapon when you can first get it, but it should definately have outstayed it's welcome by the time you open Sen's Fortress if not well before.

Find a weapon with a moveset you like and +10 that baby!

Hobobloke

The drake sword is an easy trap to fall into because if youre not already familair with souls games you look at it on paper and go "oh that's a bunch more damage than every other weapon, why would I use anything else". But it actually stops you learning the real secret to advancing is leveling up your gear.

Beginners weapon means literally to use in the beginning of the game. Drake Sword does better damage than just about any other weapon when you can first get it, but it should definately have outstayed it's welcome by the time you open Sen's Fortress if not well before.

It's the exact moment when you open Sen's Fortress and the first two lizards come at you. It's brilliant TBH.

LOL.

I should've consulted you guys earlier lol.

Incidentally, I'm been slow burning this game for 2 years or so. I did the same with Demon's.

These games just take a lot of me.

Just beat the Painted World boss.

Nice. You should have a ton of soul consumable souls to help you out.

Me personally I ran a bastard sword and then the black knights sword with a high str/dex build. You should be using one of those, or a claymore, 2 handing it and using the shield that restores stamina that you get by the Hydra lake after the black knight.
Real talk Black Knights Sword will fuck everyone's shit up, as a melee character I'd say it's near essential for "I want to make sure I can beat this game".

If you search for and find the Power Within pyromancy spell, you'll certainly find it very useful in times of struggle.

tebunker

Banned
Real talk Black Knights Sword will fuck everyone's shit up, as a melee character I'd say it's near essential for "I want to make sure I can beat this game".

If you search for and find the Power Within pyromancy spell, you'll certainly find it very useful in times of struggle.

I had that moment, where I was like, holy crap my power level just went up! And I felt like such a dork. I was wrecking with the Bastard sword and I turned bosses inside out with the Black Knight Sword. It wasn't fair.

Hey guys, just started playing Dark Souls for the first time and after getting over the learning curve I'm starting to get a hang of the game. Right now I'm level 27 and going for a strength/dex build, I'm gonna face the Capra Demon for the first time soon, but I want to level up to at least 30 before I try to take him on. Is there an relatively easy way to grind for souls?

Hey guys, just started playing Dark Souls for the first time and after getting over the learning curve I'm starting to get a hang of the game. Right now I'm level 27 and going for a strength/dex build I'm gonna face the Capra Demon soon for the first time soon, but I want to level up to at least 30 before I try to take him on. Is there an relatively easy way to grind for souls?
That early in the game, the best way to grind souls might be to do co-op helping others with bosses. iirc an quick/easy boss like the Gargoyles will net you 5000 souls + 1 humanity.

If you have a boss soul you can also dupe it, but that's no fun is it!

psyfi

Banned
After five fucking years of trying to like Dark Souls, I now ADORE Dark Souls. I'll write a longer poster later about why I had such a huge change of heart, but right now I need some help. I think I've made a few mistakes, lol.

I'm in Anor Londo, and I think I'm really underpowered. I'm Level 53 / 24 Strength / 22 Dex, mostly doing damage via my Drake Sword and Pyromancy. Reading through recent pages, it looks like it might be time for me to ditch the Drake Sword? And the only Pyromancy spells I have are Fireball, Combustion, and Poison Mist. The latter two are so slow to use, I rarely even try. Should I rethink that?

I'm specifically stuck in the giant main castle / cathedral with all of the knights (silver knights?). I don't know what else to do but grind, but that's so tedious. I have a feeling there's gotta be something I'm overlooking, some mechanic / way to grow that I haven't caught on to. Help me out!

Edit : Oh yeah, two other things.

1. I don't have any weapons upgraded aside from a +5 Rapier. My Drake Sword was carrying me through the early game, so I never bothered much. I think that might be part of my struggle.

2. I'm I missing an easier way to backtrack out of Anor Londo? All I know to do is to let the little demon dudes carry me back to where I fight the giant golem, and then walk all the way back down Sen's Fortress? That seems unforgiving, even for this game. I do know I'm getting the ability to teleport soon, is that my best bet?

1. I don't have any weapons upgraded aside from a +5 Rapier. My Drake Sword was carrying me through the early game, so I never bothered much. I think that might be part of my struggle.

With strength and dex like that you should be able to knock a few heads in with the claymore or other C/C weapons. Drake Sword doesn't have any scaling/stat bonuses, so in the long run you'll be doing more damage with a weapon that does have scaling.

psyfi

Banned
With strength and dex like that you should be able to knock a few heads in with the claymore or other C/C weapons. Drake Sword doesn't have any scaling/stat bonuses, so in the long run you'll be doing more damage with a weapon that does have scaling.
Cool, everything on this page tells me the Drake Sword easily fools noobs like me, haha. How can I tell if a weapon scales?

Top Bottom