• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

That early in the game, the best way to grind souls might be to do co-op helping others with bosses. iirc an quick/easy boss like the Gargoyles will net you 5000 souls + 1 humanity.

If you have a boss soul you can also dupe it, but that's no fun is it!

Thanks for the info man! Tried waiting by the gargoyles with my sign down though, and no one came :/

I did take on the Capra Demon though, and ended up beating him on my first try! :D

Cool, everything on this page tells me the Drake Sword easily fools noobs like me, haha. How can I tell if a weapon scales?

Most weapons aside from some special ones like the drake sword will have a latter grade scale from A to E. if you go in your inventory and press the button for toggle display it will bring up the weapon's more detailed stats; in there you will find a section called "ParamBonus" with the four icons for strength, dex, intelligence, and faith in that order (in your case don't worry about intelligence and faith).

So for example, if you look at the Drake Sword it has no Param bonus, so the damage it deals doesn't scale with your level. If you look at something like the Shortsword though, you'll see that it's Param bonus looks something like this: C/C/-/-
Meaning that it's param bonus is in strength and dexterity, since you have decent strength and dex you'd be much better off using a weapon like this because it's more suited towards your build. There are other things to consider like weapon movesets as well, but play around with different weapons to see what you like best.

psyfi

Banned
I just figured that out before you posted, haha. Thanks for explaining and confirming, though! But I'm confused, the blacksmith at Anor Londo won't upgrade the two weapons I upgraded past +5, and at that level neither are as good as the Drake Sword, even with the dex bonus. What am I missing?

I just figured that out before you posted, haha. Thanks for explaining and confirming, though! But I'm confused, the blacksmith at Anor Londo won't upgrade the two weapons I upgraded past +5, and at that level neither are as good as the Drake Sword, even with the dex bonus. What am I missing?

Do you have enough titanite shards/souls? Most weapons can be upgraded to 10 with normal shards.

psyfi

Banned
Welp I got nothing then, too much of a noob myself to know what's wrong lol. Try checking out the wiki, you might be able to find your solution there.
Haha no worries, thanks for trying.

Edit : I think I can only go beyond +5 with a blacksmith I gave the large ember too. So I have to travel all the way back to the Undead Parish to upgrade more? I'll stick with the Drake Sword for now.

SDR-UK

Only Andre will upgrade anything after +5 on the normal upgrade path, you are correct.

Drake Sword at Anor Londo though? Ouch! I wish you the very best with that.

psyfi

Banned
Only Andre will upgrade anything after +5 on the normal upgrade path, you are correct.

Drake Sword at Anor Londo though? Ouch! I wish you the very best with that.
:(

Is there any way for me to get out of Anor Londo without winding all the way as back down through Sen's Castle or whatever?

Oh yeah, and I've never been able to summon another human player, but I can summon NPCs and get invaded. What's up with that?

It's really cool to see an active Dark Souls OT, I had no idea this existed.

SDR-UK

Is there any way for me to get out of Anor Londo without winding all the way as back down through Sen's Castle or whatever?

Oh yeah, and I've never been able to summon another human player, but I can summon NPCs and get invaded. What's up with that?

There is an easy way in the future but you're kind of stuck at the moment.

Uh, what system are you playing on? It all depends on the traffic of where everyone is of course but the Souls community is pretty reliable and summons can still be found for most bosses, at least in my experience on PS3.

Regarding pyromancies psyfi if you're okay with wiki support this page is extremely useful. There are at least two essential pyromancies you haven't found yet imho. This is one of those labyrinthe games I don't feel bad looking up locations after searching unaided for hours.

A Strength / Dex build with melee is great.

entremet

Made it Ornstein and Smough.

My current load out is the

Silver Knight Set
Green Crest Shield
Lighting Spear +3

Really tough fight. I basically have no breathing room. Can't think of a decent strategy for these two.

psyfi

Banned

Silver Knight Set
Green Grass Shield
Lighting Spear +3

Really tough fight. I basically have no breathing room.
I'm stuck at that exact same spot. I went back down out of Anor Lando to level up my weapons and pick fights with some other bosses I skipped.

Unai

Did you unlock the shortcut in sean's fortress? If not, do it so you can bypass most of it. The drake sword is horrible at this stage of the game. Get a +10 weapon!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Silver Knight Set
Green Crest Shield
Lighting Spear +3

Really tough fight. I basically have no breathing room. Can't think of a decent strategy for these two.
First he uses the Drake Sword, gets told it's a noob crutch that doesn't scale to take advantage of his stats.

Then he uses the lightning spear. Against S&O to boot.

lol, sorry, that's just funny :p

I told you, use a +10 claymore!

Did a quick run through for fun today (for the 10th time), and for the first time I got the Black Knight Halberd to drop. Talk about easy mode, holy shit!

2. I'm I missing an easier way to backtrack out of Anor Londo? All I know to do is to let the little demon dudes carry me back to where I fight the giant golem, and then walk all the way back down Sen's Fortress? That seems unforgiving, even for this game. I do know I'm getting the ability to teleport soon, is that my best bet?
The walkway outside Sen's Fortress under the boss room - there is a gap with a tower across it, jump across the gap and explore the tower there, the cage key found there unlocks the cages under the boss room that takes you all way from top to bottom in Sen's. There's also a shortcut drop where the double pressure plates near the very last set of guillotines are that is almost just as quick, it brings you out over the tar pit where the slumbering dragon crest ring is.

Don't stop at any bonfires on the way and then simply use a homeward bone to warp back to Anor Londo.

- edit, well shit you already got to the Lord Vessel and can warp! :p

About weapon upgrades - did you buy the smithing box? It allows you to upgrade weapons at the bonfire. Still, special upgrades and ascensions can only be done by specific blacksmiths - But once you give the large ember to Andre he can take a +5 to +6, then either upgrade it further with him or at a bonfire yourself to +10.

entremet

First he uses the Drake Sword, gets told it's a noob crutch that doesn't scale to take advantage of his stats.

Then he uses the lightning spear. Against S&O to boot.

lol, sorry, that's just funny :p

I told you, use a +10 claymore!

I was just going off a YT run and I saw someone using a Lighting Spear and doing well.

It's been pretty good so far! But these two are very challenging.

I haven't really been looking at Boss weaknesses and I just learned about scaling.

I love Souls, but they are so so obtuse without guides.

I still don't get what Humanity is for other than allowing to invade, be invaded and summon NPCs.

It's not about as bad as Demon's Tendency system, which is totally obtuse and never explained at all in game.

Humanity also increases defense resistances (up to max 99) and item discovery (maxes out at 10), is a full heal item and can be used to offer to several covenants to increase rank/get rewards.

njean777

I cannot summon anybody on the Xbox one version at all, I had no problems when the game first game out (though recently I did buy a new router because my old one fried itself..). I don't know if it is my router or what, but every other game works fine online. This is starting to really bug me. I took my xbox over to my friends house and the summons worked fine, but at my house every other game works fine except this one... I have no idea why that is. I have open nat and everything...

entremet

I cannot summon anybody on the Xbox one version at all, I had no problems when the game first game out (though recently I did buy a new router because my old one fried itself..). I don't know if it is my router or what, but every other game works fine online. This is starting to really bug me. I took my xbox over to my friends house and the summons worked fine, but at my house every other game works fine except this one... I have no idea why that is. I have open nat and everything...

Does your friend have a 360 or XB1?

psyfi

Banned
I was having the same issue, but yesterday I was able to summon the same person twice. It's the only way I got through O&S. I had no problem getting invaded of course though, lol.

And thanks for the pointers Red Liquorice, I found a sloppy shortcut through Sen's that involved lots of following, then ending up in those tar pits you mentioned and escaping with only a sliver of health, haha. Making it back up through Sen's really wasn't that bad though, I did it in one try. motherfucking snakes in that motherfucking fortress

entremet

Finally beat O&S thanks to a kind soul who was ridiculously OP.

So the Crestfallen Warrior attacked me out of nowhere in New Londo Ruins.

"Why you coming at me, bro?!"

I never aggroed him. I had to take him out.

No spoils though.

That early in the game, the best way to grind souls might be to do co-op helping others with bosses. iirc an quick/easy boss like the Gargoyles will net you 5000 souls + 1 humanity.

If you have a boss soul you can also dupe it, but that's no fun is it!

how to dupe boss soul?

i'm on the verge to be done with the game on ps3. it's just too hard and punishable :(

not to mention sigmeyer glitched on my in sen's fortress....it shows X to talk, pressing on ds3 nothing happens to talk to him.

how to dupe boss soul?

i'm on the verge to be done with the game on ps3. it's just too hard and punishable :(

not to mention sigmeyer glitched on my in sen's fortress....it shows X to talk, pressing on ds3 nothing happens to talk to him.
Lots of tutorials on youtube, here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_F6YHlPQW4

That sucks about Seigmeyer, I've never had that happen but I know it's a thing for for him to glitch out in Sen's and make his questline borked.

Oh really?

Are there any important NPCs that go hollow too? In case I need to buy stuff.

Yes but you have to be kind of engaged with their side quests in order for it to occur. Off the top of my head, I think only one or two vendors can actually go hollow.

Edit: I remember one NPC specifically who won't go hollow until you buy all their crap, so I don't think you need to worry on that end.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh really?

Rhea,
the miracle lady, goes hollow after you buy everything, so no risk of missing out. Although, I believe Petrus kills her if you wait too long, so be careful.

Laurentius
goes hollow if you tell him about a "chaos" type of pyromancy you found. If he asks to see your new flame/pyro say NO and he'll just stay put and safe. If you say yes, he'll head off to Blighttown to find that pyromancy for himself, and he'll go hollow. If you didn't buy all of his stuff you can't buy it anymore until NG+

Other NPCs are safe, they won't go hollow or if they do, it's only after you literally bought their entire inventory. The latter includes
Griggs and Big Hat Logan
. Quelana, Domhall, Ingward,
Patches
, Shiva, the undead merchants, etc. are all safe.

They just about all go hollow except for the blacksmiths lol!
Nah, see above.

Oh really?

Most of them went hollow when you complete their quest because they have fulfilled their wish or didnt fullfilled their wish so they gave out, depending on the NPCs, Vendor NPCs cant go hollow due the players are giving them souls for their services at this day thats why the askyou for souls and not gold.

EZ Mode:Run up stairs and let him follow, drop down and he drops down too, taking fall damage. Rinse and repeat.

Or just fish for back stabs.

Yeah I tried the first method, but he would always walk back down the stairs instead of dropping off them, so I unequipped a few things and just rolled for backstabs. That ring he drops is a fucking godsend.

I just restarted and when i killed my 1st Black Knight (sword) in
Undead Burg Guarding the Blue Tearstone Ring. Wields Black Knight Sword.

i got his sword :) needing 20/18 stats but o boy it's completely different game now :)

Jombie

I started a new playthrough and had gotten the divine ember for the skellies in the catacombs. My 7-year-old picks up the controller for a few seconds as I leave the room and she proceeds to swiftly slay Andre. I walked back in just in time to see his fisticuffs, and he went down hard and quick to R1 falchion spam. I died to fucking Nito because of the stupid skeletons and haven't picked it back up. Still kind of a drag after Anor Londo.

I started a new playthrough and had gotten the divine ember for the skellies in the catacombs. My 7-year-old picks up the controller for a few seconds as I leave the room and she proceeds to swiftly slay Andre. I walked back in just in time to see his fisticuffs, and he went down hard and quick to R1 falchion spam. I died to fucking Nito because of the stupid skeletons and haven't picked it back up. Still kind of a drag after Anor Londo.

You can grab the occult club in Anor Londo, take it to the giant blacksmith there and he can revert it into a divine club I believe. Could be wrong.

which weapon is ok for catacombs, it must be divine?
If you take out the Necromancers, who do not respawn, you don't need a divine weapon at all. If you want to use a divine weapon any way, it makes it a bit easier (but less fun imo). Like CrocMother said above, you can get a free +5 Divine Club by downgrading the Occult Club you find in Anor Londo. iirc, the Silver Spear dropped by the Silver Knights is also a divine weapon.

The skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants (except the ones in Nito's boss room) are not controlled by Necromancers and do not need a divine weapon to kill.

Alright so I made it through Blighttown and rung the second bell after beating Quelaag but I'm kind of at an impasse of where I should head next. I got back to Firelink but found out that someone fucking murdered the Fire Keeper. So from this point I have a few options, and I just don't know what the best course of action is.

- Head to Sen's Fortress and keep moving on to fulfill my destiny.
- Go back to Darkroot Basin and try to take on ther Hydra.
- Farm some souls and buy the Crest of Astorias so I can explore the locked off section of Darkroot.
- Go find the gold knight motherfucker who killed the Fire Keeper and bring the flame back to Firelink.
- Head into the catacombs and save the girl, mind you I only have a +2 Astora's Straight Sword to kill skeletons.

Right now I'm using a +8 Claymore and the Eagle Shield as my weapons.

All those are viable options. Remember the cutscene after ringing the second bell tells you the main way to go though, some of those other problems might get solved sooner or later just by doing that. ;) - I would continue in Darkroot for a bit since you've still got some to explore there.

Again, you don't need a divine weapon for the Catacombs it just makes each little section a little easier.

All those are viable options. Remember the cutscene after ringing the second bell tells you the main way to go though, some of those other problems might get solved sooner or later just by doing that. ;) - I would continue in Darkroot for a bit since you've still got some to explore there.

Again, you don't need a divine weapon for the Catacombs it just makes each little section a little easier.

I think I'll go try and take on that Hydra in that case, just not sure how I'm gonna get close enough to do it. As for the catacombs, how else could I get past the skeletons if they keep regenerating? I know there's like a necromancer somewhere doing it but it seems almost impossible to get to him without getting swarmed by the bone patrol.

I also haven't properly revisted the Asylum yet, Got killed twice by the stray demon.

There's 5 or 6 Necromancers throughout, each controlling a local batch of skellies. I will say once you know the layout of the area it's a lot easier (and more fun imo) to do the Catacombs earlier. But on a first run a divine weapon would make it a lot easier and it's probably best left for mid-late game rather than this early.

There's a nice reward for doing the Catacombs early, but also the risk/reward of having to get out as it's a one way trip this early in the game, and you do NOT want to venture in to the next area without being able to warp bonfires!

Top Bottom