• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm loading it clean without dsfix and its crashing ;_; logging into gfw fine via marketplace.

If it's crashing even without DSFix then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Give this a shot.

Go to

Code:
C:\Users\*Your Username*\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls

Make a bakcup of DarkSouls.ini then delete the original file so that the folders completely empty. Then try booting up Dark Souls and see what happens.

BearPawB

Banned
So I spent the weekend battling my way through the rest of Sen's Fortress and into Anor Londo. The Iron Golem boss on top of Sen's went down pretty easy for me honestly, it only took me two attempts to best him. Had to be careful about it, and it took awhile, but fairly painless boss.

Then I get to Anor Londo and repeatedly get smashed by the big shield wearing pike wielding giants, lol. After a bit though I figured out their patterns and now I can beat them most of the time, as long as I take them on one at a time and have lots of room to maneuver. So I explore all over Anor Londo, what a great area. The gargoyles weren't too bad, nor were the white assassin guys in the church, again as long as I took them down one at a time. Slowly but steadily I worked my way all the way to the Big White doorway that leads to Ornstein and Smoug.

And there I hit my brick wall.

I've fought them a dozen times now, trying different tactics, and man I could barely put a dent in either one of them before defeat. I decided it was time to change / upgrade my gear and see if that helped. So I switched from a <25% endurance armor setup to a just barely sub 50% setup, putting on the Silver Knight armor that I'd just found in Anor Londo. I'd roll slower but it would give me better lightning and physical resist. I also switched out my Divine Longsword +5 for my Claymore +10 while keeping the Eagle Shield. I figured attack less, but make it count more. This setup did better but I still couldn't best them.

So next I decided it was time to upgrade some stuff. With the new Giant blacksmith opened up I could now buy shards to upgrade my shield and Silver Knight armor, And thus I proceeded to grind on the giants at the start of Anor Londo near the bonfire. They are 1500 soul per kill, and with my new armor and Claymore I find that they actually go down much easier. I killed, bought shards, upgraded, killed more, etc etc. My Eagle Shield is now maxed, my new armor has +2 across the set, and so I tried Ornstein and Smoug once again.

And lost embarrassingly, every time.

I'm at an impass. I think I'm going to wander around exploring some other areas for a bit. I'm SL51 now, maybe I just need to be higher level? Maybe I just suck, lol.

Call in some help. The fight is much easier if you let someone join in on the fun.

I thought you guys might appreciate this thing I made.

It's the terrifying Asylum Demon.

12449387964_8efceff266_o.gif

Beautiful. I'd love to see one of these for Sif.

Joei

I'm getting an itch to play this game again before 2 releases (plus, for some reason I never bought the DLC) and was wondering if anyone could suggest any interesting or fun builds. I already beat the game once as a L6 character, though that was last year some time. I was already familiar with the mechanics from previously playing (though not completing the game and am a DeS vet) so doing a L6 character wasn't really tough for me or anything (rocked a Qualagg's fury sword +5). But now with 2 coming out and the fact that I never bought the DLC that I hear absolute rave reviews about, I wouldn't mind doing another character, but doing a little something with it than try another low-level run through.

So, I just picked up playing this a few days ago after having taken a significant break from the first time I tried it (4 hours total before this week).

I'm really loving this game. So much.
My first major task was getting my mind around the controls again, but, once I did that, I was off and running to get myself destroyed in every avenue that was possible except for where I was supposed to go.

While finding my way again, I managed to clear out the cathedral in the dead parish, but I missed the ladder to head to the top with the boss fight. Instead, I went on a wild goose chase of exploring the darkroot gardens/basin/anor londo and getting murdered all over the place. It was great, though, since I managed to stumble upon lots of great items and slowly upgrade again.

I ended up looking at a guide's glossary to see where I was supposed to go, and backtracked to the cathedral (but not before I managed to kill Havel by kiting him to the outside and striking as he retreated to his set position). I fought the bell gargoyles and won on my second try (managing to get the tail axe thing too). I then made my way downstairs to the undead burg and was invaded for the first time. Fortunately, I had already found the shortcut to the firelink shrine and was returning to try my hand at the boss when it happened- so no major loss! They kicked my butt, but that's to be expected hahaha.

My first go at the Capra demon went rather well, surprisingly. I got him to around 1/3 or 1/4 of health before he took me out. I had purchased some charcoal resin (I think? the fire one) earlier, and thought I might try putting that on for the heck of it to at least try to boost my chances at taking out the dogs to focus on the one-on-one. It worked much better than anticipated, and I was able to take him down.

I'm so pumped! I don't know what lies ahead through the newly opened door, but I'm really looking forward to finding out. : )

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
One more set for the night.

I'm hear to tell a small tale of one womans encounter with a vicious beast

First he's found

12452518563_7edae130b8_o.gif

Then he's fought

12452514213_445a620353_o.gif

Suddenly flight

12452856774_49aefd346e_o.gif

And unfortunate demise

12452360295_93d2dc5c5f_o.gif

PatzCU

I'm so pumped! I don't know what lies ahead through the newly opened door, but I'm really looking forward to finding out. : )

Tears ahead.

So I just made my way into
Sen's Fortress
for the first time (this is my first playthrough). This place is a significant ramp up in difficulty from the previous parts of the game. I'm trying to do as much of a blind playthrough as possible, but came seriously close to looking up bonfire locations today at work. I logged off last night at the top of the fortress with 19k souls, zero estus flask charges, and maybe 1/8 of my health left frantically searching for a bonfire like some kind of crack addict. These souls are burning a hole in my pocket!

I'm going to stay strong though and die like a man. There is no way I'm finding that bonfire without dying first.

E92 M3

Tears ahead.

Sen's Fortress
for the first time (this is my first playthrough). This place is a significant ramp up in difficulty from the previous parts of the game. I'm trying to do as much of a blind playthrough as possible, but came seriously close to looking up bonfire locations today at work. I logged off last night at the top of the fortress with 19k souls, zero estus flask charges, and maybe 1/8 of my health left frantically searching for a bonfire like some kind of crack addict. These souls are burning a hole in my pocket!

I'm going to stay strong though and die like a man. There is no way I'm finding that bonfire without dying first.

Don't give up, son!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Tears ahead.

Sen's Fortress

I found it a few days ago. This was a well hidden bonfire, but there are clues to it's location if you are looking around while keeping an eye out for hidden stuff. I'll tell you what led me to find it, and I'll keep it semi vague but I'll spoiler it all the same just in case you don't even want a semi vague hint:

A broken section in a knee high wall made me curious enough to take a closer look.

From the sound of it you are close to it, look at my hint if you want a loose clue, if not then good luck to you! Sen's Fortress was one of my favorite areas so far, I'm now stuck at the end of Anor Londo...

Randam

WHAT???

That's it, tonight I'm making it my mission to defeat this horrible duo, they will block my progress NO MORE....

on my first playthrough I spent so much time, fighting the 2.
couldn't beat them.
summoned to guys in the end.

now I can beat them with an unleveled character with no problem.

Dwayne

If it's crashing even without DSFix then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Give this a shot.

Go to

Code:
C:\Users\*Your Username*\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls

Make a bakcup of DarkSouls.ini then delete the original file so that the folders completely empty. Then try booting up Dark Souls and see what happens.

My save data is ok, loads up on my home PC. I tried your suggestion, still crashes. I'm going to try setting fire to Games for Windows now.

ultron87

Tears ahead.

Sen's Fortress

There are other ways to get health if you're desperate. Item effect spoiler, I guess? But not really a spoiler at all, just want to respect however blind you might be trying to play:
You can pop a Humanity item to get full health.

I found it a few days ago. This was a well hidden bonfire, but there are clues to it's location if you are looking around while keeping an eye out for hidden stuff. I'll tell you what led me to find it, and I'll keep it semi vague but I'll spoiler it all the same just in case you don't even want a semi vague hint:

A broken section in a knee high wall made me curious enough to take a closer look.

From the sound of it you are close to it, look at my hint if you want a loose clue, if not then good luck to you! Sen's Fortress was one of my favorite areas so far, I'm now stuck at the end of Anor Londo...
I've never looked but I guess you should also be able to see the Sen's bonfire from
The bridge after the jump to the merchant's tower

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Defeated O&S on my 2nd try with a SL1 character yesterday. :D
Nice. Almost had them on my first try too, but I died when Ornstein had a sliver left. Then I needed a few more retries to get them.

Got Four Kings on my first try though. Funny how at SL1 they're easier than S&0... xD

PatzCU

There are other ways to get health if you're desperate. Item effect spoiler, I guess? But not really a spoiler at all, just want to respect however blind you might be trying to play:
You can pop a Humanity item to get full health.

Brilliant, thank you! I completely forgot those could be used to regain health. I'm so desperate to continue my bonfire search that I may just use one.

And thanks Mengy! I'm not going to look at your semi-vague hint, but appreciate the help! It's good to know this is a pretty hidden bonfire to know I'm not going crazy. I saw a "Bonfire Ahead" sign on the ground which is what put me into the search frenzy to begin with.

Love Dark Souls! I haven't played a game that gives me those feels of dread in a lonnnnnng time.

njean777

Since there isn't a demon souls thread up, I thought I would just ask here. I am grinding right now for the Uchigatana + 6 so I can make it crescent, would it help if I put points into DEX as well as Magic for the Crescent Uchigatana or should I just center on magic and leave dex alone? I already have enough Dex and strength to use it, just want to know if I should waste anymore points into Dex for it if I am making it crescent?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Since there isn't a demon souls thread up, I thought I would just ask here. I am grinding right now for the Uchigatana + 6 so I can make it crescent, would it help if I put points into DEX as well as Magic for the Crescent Uchigatana or should I just center on magic and leave dex alone? I already have enough Dex and strength to use it, just want to know if I should waste anymore points into Dex for it if I am making it crescent?

Once you turn it into a Crescent Uchi it only scales with Magic so increasing Dex shouldn't help any more.

I'm tired of waiting for GFWL to die. Also have heard a lot of horror stories with it. Are there any guides for downloading the correct version of GFWL, or what to do once you've downloaded it? I tried using whatever came with DaS on my old computer but that didn't work. And then how best to manage saves and so forth

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've came back to Dark Souls after a few months of not playing it with a goal to clear the game before DS2 hits.
I picked up my save where I was about to enter the Depths a few days ago and yesterday I finally managed to get to Giant Blacksmith.
Andor Londo's snipers died on my second try - rushing to one of them, waiting for him to switch to sword and shield and running away so he would fall turned out to be a surprisingly viable strategy.
This is my current eq/stats:
OSIjL9N.jpg

Plans from now on:
- Get Darkroot Bow
- Farm Darkwood enemies behind the locked gates to generally improve my stats (vit/dex/end)

I know it will probably take some stat grinding, but I've been thinking about using Havel's Armor (need to go get his ring ring as well) with my current sword.
Should be enough to clear the game, right?

Joei

I know it will probably take some stat grinding, but I've been thinking about using Havel's Armor (need to go get his ring ring as well) with my current sword.

Quelagg's+5 is enough to beat the game, lol. I went through with SL6 and that sword equipped and was able to demolish most stuff.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
It's strange, I have a stronger desire to play more Dark Souls now in NG+ than I did during regular NG. I just love this game so much.

I got XBL Gold again so no more walking around as a human all willy nilly. Got killed by the same guy twice in Anor Londo.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
on my first playthrough I spent so much time, fighting the 2.
couldn't beat them.
summoned to guys in the end.

now I can beat them with an unleveled character with no problem.

I don't see how.

I fought them again tonight, I just get decimated in phase two, Smoug kicks my ass all over the place. So I decided to try going human and summoning the phantom NPC guy to help me out with the fight, I figure two on two would be more fair. Problem is, every time, and I mean EVERY time I go human at the bonfire, I get invaded by someone else before I even reach the boss door. Actually before I even make my way to the summon mark for the knight. I used up five hard humanities simply trying to make it to the boss door, and every one of them I got invaded and killed by another player before getting to the Ornstein and Smoug.

As if the bosses weren't frustrating enough, now I can't even try out a strategy because of ganker players.

Guess I just need to keep trying them solo, truly solo, because going human doesn't seem a viable strategy what with PvP and all.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Oh hey Silver Knight Archers, I forgot how much I fucking loathe you two.

Oh wait, I have a Ring of Fog now! Time to test this out.

ultron87

Is there some rhyme or reason behind the first step to accessing the DLC area?

It makes sense that you go to where you originally find Dusk to find the entrance, but why do you have to start with killing that one crystal golem up the Archives?

Is there some rhyme or reason behind the first step to accessing the DLC area?

It makes sense that you go to where you originally find Dusk to find the entrance, but why do you have to start with killing that one crystal golem up the Archives?

That golem
drops the "key" you need to access the DLC.

Seance

Banned
Just completed the Abyss DLC, great stuff. Haven't beat Kalameeth, though. First one i'm gonna skip. What a basterd. :/
I'm currently exploring the Ruins and Lost Izalith. Is this the same game i've played for 80 hours? What a drop in quality! I think I remember reading one of those two was rushed, and if that's truly the case, it's painfully clear to see. Empty with copy-pasted enemies. Or so it feels, anyhow. Man. Such a bummer.

The magma does look pretty. So, there's that. :p

Really? The only texture mod i have for Dark Souls is to fix the hideous magma/lava.

Anustart

Just killed the boss of the Crystal Cave. Was quite easy, though I did try
to cut off his damn tail but couldn't get it. I hit that thing all fight and got nodda.

njean777

I don't see how.

I fought them again tonight, I just get decimated in phase two, Smoug kicks my ass all over the place. So I decided to try going human and summoning the phantom NPC guy to help me out with the fight, I figure two on two would be more fair. Problem is, every time, and I mean EVERY time I go human at the bonfire, I get invaded by someone else before I even reach the boss door. Actually before I even make my way to the summon mark for the knight. I used up five hard humanities simply trying to make it to the boss door, and every one of them I got invaded and killed by another player before getting to the Ornstein and Smoug.

As if the bosses weren't frustrating enough, now I can't even try out a strategy because of ganker players.

Guess I just need to keep trying them solo, truly solo, because going human doesn't seem a viable strategy what with PvP and all.

I usually kill smough first and let Ornstein go all berserk. I find it easier to dodge Ornstein. Maybe try that instead and see how it works out.

Right. I know that. But is there some explanation (plot or otherwise) for why it is there and has that thing? Or is it just Dark Souls being good old obscure Dark Souls?

I always thought it was because Seath would capture mages in order to use their magic, that is what the golems are. They are trapped mages I think. It so happens that the one in the archives may have something to do with Dusk.

spliced

I'm trying a no weapons but bows and shields playthrough(I just have the vanilla version). I don't normally ever play hunter/archer classes but this has been a lot of fun, I think it helps that I've been doing so much melee lately that it's fun to play with range again. It's added a bit more strategy to the playthrough since any enemies that come in packs that have shields are a huge pain in the butt. I honestly had more problems with one hollow shield and spear soldier than I did with the gaping dragon.

I love that I'm still learning cool stuff, going towards Capra those 3 packs of thieves were a problem since they attack in a pack and have shields but what I did was lure them to that big fire and blocked them into it. It actually works well for the dogs also. I think I may have learned a better way to start the Capra fight also, I ran around him to the right instead of the left and didn't get hit going to the stairs. I'll have to see if it was just luck or if it always works the next time I face him.

Another thing I saw recently on another character was during a co-op a guy jumped from close to where you get the throwing knives in Undead Burg down to the ally that leads to Capra.

This playthrough confirmed a belief I had that relative to where and when you meet them in the game I think the rooftop gargoyles are tougher than S&O for a ranged attacked based character. They tend to both get on you at the same time more and the environment is hindrance rather than a help like it is with S&O.

gogosox8

I've came back to Dark Souls after a few months of not playing it with a goal to clear the game before DS2 hits.
I picked up my save where I was about to enter the Depths a few days ago and yesterday I finally managed to get to Giant Blacksmith.
Andor Londo's snipers died on my second try - rushing to one of them, waiting for him to switch to sword and shield and running away so he would fall turned out to be a surprisingly viable strategy.
This is my current eq/stats:
OSIjL9N.jpg

Plans from now on:
- Get Darkroot Bow
- Farm Darkwood enemies behind the locked gates to generally improve my stats (vit/dex/end)

Darkroot Bow? Do you mean Darkmoon Bow? That bow has shitty scaling (think its c with faith and d with dex but not sure) with faith and you have 8 faith so why use that. Use the black bow of pharis or composite bow, they scale much better with your stats. I would also farm in Ariamis. Much easier to kill those phalanx than those npcs in the forest especially if you have firestorm ( ie run in, cast firestorm, they all die, run back to bonfire to reset).

edit: realized you were talking about pharis bow when you called it Darkroot bow. Apologies.

Right. I know that. But is there some explanation (plot or otherwise) for why it is there and has that thing? Or is it just Dark Souls being good old obscure Dark Souls?

No explanation really. FROM probably just likes being obscure.

My take:
The pendant was found by Seath or his channelers and was researched upon or placed in a golem for safekeeping for future study.
I'm probably wrong, but I like to think this.

Hobobloke

I don't see how.

You'll get there, getting past the first phase is the real challenge and you can already do that. When fighting super Smough just be patient and try and keep a pillar between you.

Shinjica

I don't see how.

The game punish you for trying that boss with a phantom. It's Karma

spliced

I don't see how.

You could invest in some Black Firebombs to help with Smough, the merchant in Sens sells them.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Never thought i'd be able to say this, but i've "beaten" Dark Souls! Yay! Gwyn was suprisingly easy. Had him on my first try.

DLC was awesome. Really well made and the exploration was pre-Lordvessel levels of greatness. Didn't beat Kalameet, though. Only boss in the game I skipped (as far as I know). What a basterd.

Top Bottom