• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Divius

So I've been doing some pvp. Is it considered cheating that I'm able to level up by getting around 200k souls and leveling up with them?
lol
I believe on my second character I was invaded by a guy in Undead Burg who, after some elaborate back-and-forth gesturing, jumped to his death, leaving me with something just shy of 3 million souls. I was torn on what to do :p I leveled up a bit, but luckily Dark Souls showed its true nature and I lost all my shit an hour later.

Not only that, but have you seen the utterly sickening level of bandwagon marketing Scamco is doing by doing a whole Dark Souls 2 clothing line and accessories? Just sad to see this happen, I so wish this franchise had just stayed niche. Namco is to the Souls series what Activision is to the CoD franchise, pretty much. Same I suppose goes for Bethesda and the Fallout franchise...

No wonder they got rid of Miyazaki, and if I were him I wouldn't want any part of this shit, goes against all of his game design philosophy basically. By now we've seen more of DkS2 before release, as well as important info than we ever did the two previous. Only thing I can really hope for is maybe this game won't need as many patches.

Dark Souls sold 2.4 million or something so its one of Namco's biggest games if not the biggest. Not surprised by the shit they are pulling.

I am quite eager to find out how much of FROM is working with Miyazaki on the other title.

soontroll

Banned
YEAH, speaking of the wonder twins:

That was the hardest fight I've encountered yet in the game, BY FAR.

Whew, time to rest my weary dark soul for a bit...

It's also an extremely fun fight, regardless of how many times I died. Also, if you think that was hard, wait until you get to the DLC bosses :p
They're all extremely fun too.

I really like bosses that are fast. It makes me feel like a badass when I roll-dodge an extremely fast attack.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Did a bit more exploring in Darkroot Garden and came across the
Moonlight Butterfly.
I don't know if this is supposed to be a tough boss or something but I only had one estus flask when I came across it and I killed it on my first try. Kinda funny. I actually felt bad for it because the music was so sad and somber. Oh well, poor guy.

Divius

Moonlight Butterfly.
I don't know if this is supposed to be a tough boss or something but I only had one estus flask when I came across it and I killed it on my first try. Kinda funny. I actually felt bad for it because the music was so sad and somber. Oh well, poor guy.
It's not that bad, especially if you have some kind of ranged weapon.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just beat Four Kings on NG+. Mask of the Child and Grass Crest Shield made it a lot more manageable. Hadn't used them before, but I can see myself using them a lot more from now on. Fast stamina regenerating is great. Now Gwyn is all that remains.

Divius

Just beat Four Kings on NG+. Mask of the Child and Grass Crest Shield made it a lot more manageable. Hadn't used them before, but I can see myself using them a lot more from now on. Fast stamina regenerating is great. Now Gwyn is all that remains.
All you need now is that stamina ring from the Great Hollow for ULTIMATE STAMINA REGEN

Chitown B

farmed some slimes for an hour or two last night and got enough large titanite shards to upgrade my Claymore to +10. Also bought a Bastard Sword, upgraded to +5, then used Green Titanite from the slimes to change it to +3 Divine. That'll help in the Catacombs.

That's all I did last night but it took like 3 hours. lol

Judderman

drawer by drawer
YEAH, speaking of the wonder twins:

That was the hardest fight I've encountered yet in the game, BY FAR.

Whew, time to rest my weary dark soul for a bit...

Nice! I just beat them last night on NG+. Blessed be the pillars that kept Smough at bay while I poked him with my Claymore. I didn't take advantage of them during my first encounter with them. Almost died with Smough 2-3 hits away from death but I recovered and finished him off. Now trying to figure out what's my best armor setup to get fastroll and keeping my Silver Knight Shield and Gargoyle Halberd.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's also an extremely fun fight, regardless of how many times I died. Also, if you think that was hard, wait until you get to the DLC bosses :p
They're all extremely fun too.

I really like bosses that are fast. It makes me feel like a badass when I roll-dodge an extremely fast attack.

It was an epic battle.

Now I've worked my way into some other place up above Anor Londo, through what was a golden gate. Found a new bonfire, ran into some crystal area and died horribly to
Seath the Scaless.
But when I respawned I found myself in some new area called the
Duke's Archives.
Not sure if that's a glitch or supposed to happen, but now I'm working my way through there, and it's tricky. The monsters aren't particularly tough, but their placement makes it tough. Plus the area seems immense.

soontroll

Banned
It was an epic battle.

Now I've worked my way into some other place up above Anor Londo, through what was a golden gate. Found a new bonfire, ran into some crystal area and died horribly to
Seath the Scaless.
But when I respawned I found myself in some new area called the
Duke's Archives.
Not sure if that's a glitch or supposed to happen, but now I'm working my way through there, and it's tricky. The monsters aren't particularly tough, but their placement makes it tough. Plus the area seems immense.

You're supposed to die to Seath when you first meet him (i.e. you can't kill him). You'll get to fight him properly soon.

Randam

Moonlight Butterfly.

easiest boss by far.
roll dodge his magic and use range attacks, or wait till he comes closer.

hmm I have that Grass shield. Didn't notice that's what it did. Will replace my Tower Kite with it probably.

well, kite shild has way better stability and the grass crest shield only blocks 95% of physical damage.

Booshka

easiest boss by far.

well, kite shild has way better stability and the grass crest shield only blocks 95% of physical damage.

Which is irrelevant when all you do with it is sling it on your back and swing your weapon 2 handed. Or use it to parry.

Chitown B

easiest boss by far.

well crap.

oh and that boss isn't bad but if you get hit by the magic you can get one shot sometimes.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just beat Gwyn on NG+. Fight was a lot harder, but also a lot more fun than on my first playthrough. In that run I used the mushrooms that you get at the end of the DLC which made it much easier. This time around I really had to keep moving and dodging and waiting for the right moment to strike. Fight is pretty similar to Artorias' fight in that way.

Time for a new character!

Tawpgun

I never 2H. do shields block damage well on your back?

No.

And definitley get used to 2 handing, especially when tough enemies give you a big opening.

A lot of fights can be made easier if you use your shield as a safety net if you dont feel you can dodge their attack, and once they're recharging, or theres an opening, 2 hand your weapon for greater damage.

Randam

I never 2H. do shields block damage well on your back?

sometimes, 2Hing is pretty good.

about the grass shield, most people only use it, for its effect and dont block with it.

you can, but like said, your kite shield is way better at blocking.

if you want the effect of the grass shield, you could try to get the ring, or the mask of the shield.
they both have the same effect.

Inspire me.

Role play. Join a covenant because it's what your character would do. Let your roleplay archetype inform everything from your equipment to your battle strategy. Dark Souls is a roleplaying game, after all.

"I'm a cleric" -> "I'm a pilgrim in a dark land" -> "I don't use magic, I find it distasteful" -> "I loathe the undead, I try to remain human as often as possible" -> "I don't tolerate the presence of abominations"

Tawpgun

Inspire me.

WHat was your first character?

I know mine was pure melee, with dex and str, a little more dex though. Sword and board.

My next one I want to either try out some greatswords and other str weapons, and/or get into the faith/intelligence side of things

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Role play. Join a covenant because it's what your character would do. Let your roleplay archetype inform everything from your equipment to your battle strategy. Dark Souls is a roleplaying game, after all.

"I'm a cleric" -> "I'm a pilgrim in a dark land" -> "I don't use magic, I find it distasteful" -> "I loathe the undead, I try to remain human as often as possible" -> "I don't tolerate the presence of abominations"

"I will not set foot outside my jail cell because it is safe in here and I like the breeze that is coming through the window."

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
uh

so I just started playing this game

and I just got to I guess the first real area (Undead Burg), and I got invaded

dude with a GINORMOUS axe

I got ready for a fight, but he dropped a bag on the ground

it had "a soul of Gwynn" or something which google says you get from beating the last boss in the game?

I waved at him and he killed me, but I still had the thing

I don't know if I should keep it because I feel like it would mess up my first playthrough

Divius

You can keep it, it won't ruin anything. You can either consume it for souls or use it to craft a weapon later in the game.

Also welcome to Dark Souls <3

Chitown B

it won't ruin anything. but you'll get 20,000 souls if you use it, so you can gain levels early on very fast, if you want to. then again "levels" don't mean much, only allow you to use certain weapons/armor mostly, at that early stage.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You can keep it, it won't ruin anything. You can either consume it for souls or use it to craft a weapon later in the game.

Also welcome to Dark Souls <3

I gather that weapon is usually a new game plus kinda thing or something? I may just use it for the souls

also, thanks for the welcome, the game is already kicking my ass

Beat Gwyn. Did a victory lap in ng+, just slaughtered everything up to the gargoyles as a little revenge for the start of the game. I thought about starting over and doing a faith build but I'm a little burned out. Might just take a break and wait til Dark Souls 2

I gather that weapon is usually a new game plus kinda thing or something? I may just use it for the souls

also, thanks for the welcome, the game is already kicking my ass

Because it requires the Soul of Gwyn, that sword can normally only be crafted in NG+. It isn't an uber sword, feel free to craft it when you find the blacksmith that can do it. It's just sort of average compared to other craft/upgrade options.

The sword is also required for one of the completionist trophies/achievements, if you care about that.

Beat Gwyn. Did a victory lap in ng+, just slaughtered everything up to the gargoyles as a little revenge for the start of the game. I thought about starting over and doing a faith build but I'm a little burned out. Might just take a break and wait til Dark Souls 2

Play Demon's Souls if you haven't already.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I just disguised myself as a shrub and followed a player around Darkroot garden and basin for 15 minutes.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Chameleon spell.

I haven't cast a single spell in Dark Souls yet. I'm not sure but I think I need to level either intelligence or attunement? I need slots apparently, whatever that is. Been putting all of my levels into STR, END, and VIT.

So I made my way through the Duke's Archives now and I'm down in Crystal Caves. This place is strange, and those gold crystal guys are not fun. They've thrown me off the path to my death many times. I did kill one though and it looks like they don't respawn, so thats good.

I'm wondering if I'm in an area I shouldn't be yet. Maybe I'll head back to finish up Darkroot Garden instead, or explore New Londo, which I've barely set foot in yet.

I haven't cast a single spell in Dark Souls yet. I'm not sure but I think I need to level either intelligence or attunement? I need slots apparently, whatever that is. Been putting all of my levels into STR, END, and VIT.

So I made my way through the Duke's Archives now and I'm down in Crystal Caves. This place is strange, and those gold crystal guys are not fun. They've thrown me off the path to my death many times. I did kill one though and it looks like they don't respawn, so thats good.

I'm wondering if I'm in an area I shouldn't be yet. Maybe I'll head back to finish up Darkroot Garden instead, or explore New Londo, which I've barely set foot in yet.

Slots require points in Attunement, and sorceries have different Intelligence requirements.

Top Bottom