• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just lost over one million souls in Olaacile Township :(
I guess thats a guaranteed Vagrant.

I have a question: why in the world would you ever rack up over one million souls? Is there a real in game reason to do so? Why wouldn't you be spending those souls on upgrading every weapon and piece of armor you have?

mannerbot

I have a question: why in the world would you ever rack up over one million souls? Is there a real in game reason to do so? Why wouldn't you be spending those souls on upgrading every weapon and piece of armor you have?

It's common for PvPers as you run out of things to upgrade and you want to stay at a certain level so you have people to play with.

Anustart

It's common for PvPers as you run out of things to upgrade and you want to stay at a certain level so you have people to play with.

So in that case there's no reason to even feel bad about losing a million souls and just fake it to seem like its a big loss?

Chitown B

found the Valley of the Drakes! Though there doesn't seem to be much here yet, at least until I can open that door. Grabbed the Red Tearstone Ring, which I won't use. Then I couldn't get back down because I'd run past the drakes. oh well.

Gorillaz

^Valley of drakes surprised me and for a good reason. Didnt know if was considered an option 2 for getting to another section. In hindsight on my first run I lost out on some things taking that option over the other one that is more popular but whatever.

Tawpgun

I didn't find the lower bonfire in Darkroot Garden, the one that leads to the Valley of the Drakes, FOREVER. I discovered it right before I was getting ready to kill Gwyn

I didn't find the lower bonfire in Darkroot Garden, the one that leads to the Valley of the Drakes, FOREVER. I discovered it right before I was getting ready to kill Gwyn
Hell, I didn't even know the Red Tearstone Ring existed until NG++, much less where to find it.
Part of the beauty of NG+ or a second run through is being able to go back and start sequence breaking right from the beginning. Find all those little secrets you missed the first time around and find them in a weird, creative order.

Tawpgun

Hell, I didn't even know the Red Tearstone Ring existed until NG++, much less where to find it.
Part of the beauty of NG+ or a second run through is being able to go back and start sequence breaking right from the beginning. Find all those little secrets you missed the first time around and find them in a weird, creative order.

Im starting a new character to help out a friend who is starting the game.

Decided to see what I could get before even going to the burg. And I managed to snag the crimson set which carried me through the game on my playthrough, along with the astora straightsword

Inskipp

Is the PVP in the Darkroot Garden still active in PC? I tried to find players to invade (as a red), but very few seem to host there, or is it simply easier to find matches with the Cat Ring?

In contrast, I can find someone up for a match nearly every time I use the red orb in Oolacile.

Decided to see what I could get before even going to the burg. And I managed to snag the crimson set which carried me through the game on my playthrough, along with the astora straightsword

Exactly how I've started my last couple playthroughs. The most recent I just went through and did everything I possibly could before ringing the bells. There is a surprising amount of content that can be cleared before ever seeing the Gargoyles. To be fair though, I did kill Quelaag in order to get to the Gold-Trimmed set, but I skipped the bell.

Exactly how I've started my last couple playthroughs. The most recent is just went through and did everything I possibly could before ringing the bells. There is a surprising amount of content that can be cleared before ever seeing the Gargoyles. To be fair though, I did kill Quelaag in order to get to the Gold-Trimmed set, but I skipped the bell.

On my DEX build, I collected everything in the Catacombs andkilled Pinwheel (without using a bonfire so I could Homeward Bone it to Firelink), and then did Blightown before even stepping foot into Undead Burg and Undead Parish. And I kept myself at Level 15.

On my DEX build, I collected everything in the Catacombs andkilled Pinwheel (without using a bonfire so I could Homeward Bone it to Firelink), and then did Blightown before even stepping foot into Undead Burg and Undead Parish. And I kept myself at Level 15.

Sequence Breaking: The only right way to play an unknowingly-story-driven game.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I told myself I was going to kill Lautrec after using him against Gaping Dragon, but nooooo, I had to go all gung-ho on Blighttown and finish the whole entire thing. So when I get back to Firelink all happy and such, I come up from New Londo to find that the thing I wanted to prevent happened because of my overeagerness. Well, I guess I get to invade him again.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just beat a boss in my first try: Iron Golem. That's a first for this game.

First dude in Anor Londo kicked my ass. Went back, grabbed the lost souls from under him, sprinted up the stairs, and Homeward Boned myself the fuck out of there. Did not feel like losing 40K souls today.

Gorillaz

and just stumbled upon Blight Town. WTF frame rate.
People say the real dark souls start at NG plus

but in realty it starts when you drop to 10 FPS in blighttown. Only the hardest of the core can survive the dreadful frame drop

Just beat a boss in my first try: Iron Golem. That's a first for this game.

First dude in Anor Londo kicked my ass. Went back, grabbed the lost souls from under him, sprinted up the stairs, and Homeward Boned myself the fuck out of there. Did not feel like losing 40K souls today.

Are you talking about first entering Anor Londo? the giant? you can effectively run pass them.

Reule

First time posting in here but been playing Dark Souls again, finishing up my fourth playthrough. Bought the DLC and love it so far, definitely worth the money. I have one boss left to do but saving it while I clean up my current playthrough.

Just had a minor freak out though. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. I'm in the Tomb of Giants and made it to the first bonfire down there with a friend of mine. He leaves the game so I can light it but it won't let me. I wait three or so minutes but still nothing. No invasion either. I quit the game after I don't see it saving and go to reload. It ends up freezing on the load screen so I quit game which makes the PS3 restart.

First thing I do is check my save data utility, Dark Souls save is gone. I scroll to the bottom to check if it corrupted and I see a folder labeled Unknown but when I hovered over the folder, it disappears and the Dark Souls save is back. I load the game back up and I'm in the Tomb of Giants sitting at a now lit bonfire. What. The. Fuck?

I hope everything is okay. I sort of want to upload the same to PS+ but I have a save on there already from before I started playing Dark Souls again (hopefully just before and not any earlier). I checked everything out and it seems fine. I guess I'll continue on it but kind of worried.

Messing around with the weapon moveset swap glitch. Found a combo that's even more buggy than usual. Smough's hammer with giant halberd's moveset. The animation is faster than it's supposed to be making it have 0 startup. Looks pretty funky.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best way to level up the Claymore? I'm sitting at +6 right now and I'm wondering if I should go up to +15 or go Lightning instead.

What's the best way to level up the Claymore? I'm sitting at +6 right now and I'm wondering if I should go up to +15 or go Lightning instead.

+15 all the way.

About to take on NG+ Gywn on my cleric CLAVDIVS. This is my first time beating NG+ and the first serious Miracle character I've used. Such a blast.

27B7DCE0EF0DC81449A57A7EEEE178EAB7FA9F5A

+15 all the way.

About to take on NG+ Gywn on my cleric CLAVDIVS. This is my first time beating NG+ and the first serious Miracle character I've used. Such a blast.

27B7DCE0EF0DC81449A57A7EEEE178EAB7FA9F5A

As much fun as magic can be and as situationally helpful as pyromancy is, miracles remain the one thing that is constantly useful in every aspect if the game regardless of what portion of the game you are in. Did you grab the two from Logan's prison in the Duke's Archives?

As much fun as magic can be and as situationally helpful as pyromancy is, miracles remain the one thing that is constantly useful in every aspect if the game regardless of what portion of the game you are in. Did you grab the two from Logan's prison in the Duke's Archives?

Yeah, but I've never used them because of the covenant requirement. Usually don't even have any Heal attuned in favor of all offensive miracles. If I did more co-op, I'd probably give those a go.

Miracles>Pyromancies>Sorceries for me. Hoping DS2's fixes to Sorcery targeting will be an improvement.

Chitown B

People say the real dark souls start at NG plus

but in realty it starts when you drop to 10 FPS in blighttown. Only the hardest of the core can survive the dreadful frame drop

I went down some ladders (apparently went in the back way) and the bugs everywhere were impossible to hit. wtf? I locked on and swung and they'd just hover there and poison me.

also ran down into the Depths and came across the dragon today. That lasted about 2 minutes. I've seen video and I feel like other people hit a lot harder on him than me. I was just picking away - and I have a good weapon and high level. I wonder if it's a resistance thing. Also the stupid archer shooting at me - really??

I went down some ladders (apparently went in the back way) and the bugs everywhere were impossible to hit. wtf? I locked on and swung and they'd just hover there and poison me.

also ran down into the Depths and came across the dragon today. That lasted about 2 minutes. I've seen video and I feel like other people hit a lot harder on him than me. I was just picking away - and I have a good weapon and high level. I wonder if it's a resistance thing. Also the stupid archer shooting at me - really??

How much have you upgraded your weapon? And I definitely recommend taking out that Channeler before taking on the boss. He doesn't respawn.

Those mosquitoes can be tricky for melee. Vertical strikes are good at knocking them out of the air or when they are floating through the floor on your way down from Valley of Drakes.

Buy 99 throwing knives (or arrows if you're using a bow regularly) and never worry about mosquitoes again, they are a pain in the ass depending on your weapon choice.

Yeah, but I've never used them because of the covenant requirement. Usually don't even have any Heal attuned in favor of all offensive miracles. If I did more co-op, I'd probably give those a go.

Miracles>Pyromancies>Sorceries for me. Hoping DS2's fixes to Sorcery targeting will be an improvement.
The Princess Guard miracles are pretty useless considering their faith requirements and IIRC the higher one takes 2 attunement slots as well. The gradual heal one is really slow just like the Sanctus. I did a 'white knight' type character a while back and they weren't worth using. Disappointing.
Greater Heal is good though, I really only use the heal miracles as a phantom, and equip regular heal even if I'm not doing a faith build just so I can heal, a lot of people who summon don't realise they heal you with their Estus, so I like to have that back up heal option always.

I am nerdishly excited about the changes to magic targeting in DS2, I think it's gonna be awesome!

E92 M3

I actually find Sorceries to be really be complementary to my playstyle. With that said, Wrath of the Gods is soooooo annoying in PVP. If someone pulls that out, I go full cheap mode lol.

The Princess Guard miracles are pretty useless considering their faith requirements and IIRC the higher one takes 2 attunement slots as well. The gradual heal one is really slow just like the Sanctus. I did a 'white knight' type character a while back and they weren't worth using. Disappointing.
Greater Heal is good though, I really only use the heal miracles as a phantom, and equip regular heal even if I'm not doing a faith build just so I can heal, a lot of people who summon don't realise they heal you with their Estus, so I like to have that back up heal option always.

I am nerdishly excited about the changes to magic targeting in DS2, I think it's gonna be awesome!

What's different? I am not in the know.

I actually find Sorceries to be really be complementary to my playstyle. With that said, Wrath of the Gods is soooooo annoying in PVP. If someone pulls that out, I go full cheap mode lol.

Funny, that's what inspired making this character: getting rekt by wrath of the gods.

What's different? I am not in the know.

First person aiming like with bows.

Buy 99 throwing knives (or arrows if you're using a bow regularly) and never worry about mosquitoes again, they are a pain in the ass depending on your weapon choice.

Crossbow also.

Great Heal is fine, but the rest were definitely underwhelming. Hoping for more support miracles in DS2.

LogicStep

Why does Lost Izalith catch so much hate? I found the place to be rather straight forward and easy. The boss is a dick though. But is that it? That it's simple, easy and boring compared to the rest of the game?

Sullichin

Why does Lost Izalith catch so much hate? I found the place to be rather straight forward and easy. The boss is a dick though. But is that it? That it's simple, easy and boring compared to the rest of the game?

Yeah, probably because there's not much in terms of an intricate level layout and the boss sucks. Wasted potential because there's some really cool architecture there. I do love invading in Izalith though.

Chitown B

How much have you upgraded your weapon? And I definitely recommend taking out that Channeler before taking on the boss. He doesn't respawn.

Those mosquitoes can be tricky for melee. Vertical strikes are good at knocking them out of the air or when they are floating through the floor on your way down from Valley of Drakes.

only to +5 because there isn't any large titanite shards in any area I've gotten to yet.

I'll try to kill that guy first. I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I went through the door, or that there was anyone above. I ran in close to hit the dragon and then he picked me up and mauled me a bunch.

Good call on the person who said throwing knives!

Trying to kill them with my normal weapon often resulted in a missed attempt and a fall, sometimes fatal. Thank god I had some bolts and arrows and started using them to get rid of the fuckers.

Soulhouf

IIRC Lost Izalith is one of the first levels to have been designed and yet it feels rushed and unpolished.
I never understood why it went so wrong...

It's like trying to kill a mosquito with a sword in real life lol..

Randam

found the Valley of the Drakes! Though there doesn't seem to be much here yet, at least until I can open that door. Grabbed the Red Tearstone Ring, which I won't use. Then I couldn't get back down because I'd run past the drakes. oh well.

what?

playing in hyper mode is awesome.

and you could have homeward boned out of there.

E92 M3

Funny, that's what inspired making this character: getting rekt by wrath of the gods.

First person aiming like with bows.

Crossbow also.

Great Heal is fine, but the rest were definitely underwhelming. Hoping for more support miracles in DS2.

Thank you - that sounds neat!

Guys, should I invest in Composite Bow upgrades (have all of the resources) and if so which one is the best? I've always used the Pharis bow for PVE and don't use bows in PVP, but would like to try.

Soulhouf

Thank you - that sounds neat!

Guys, should I invest in Composite Bow upgrades (have all of the resources) and if so which one is the best? I've always used the Pharis bow for PVE and don't use bows in PVP, but would like to try.

Composite Bow is great for PvP thanks to its very fast reload.
That way you can quickly finish your opponent when he gets low on health and tries to heal.

Reule

Guess no one's experienced the issue I had, haha. I'm thinking of deleting that save and downloading the one on PS+. Makes me mad because I actually picked up the Symbol of Avarice yesterday. I never looked up where all the mimics were and must've missed one each time.

only to +5 because there isn't any large titanite shards in any area I've gotten to yet.
The slimes outside the Depths bonfire room drop them, and so do the leeches/slugs in Blighttown (depending on which way you went, you may not have seen them yet). Both also drop Green Titanite (fire/magic/divine upgrading), and the ones in Blighttown drop 5 green at a time, which helps a lot with something else a little later.

Chitown B

The slimes outside the Depths bonfire room drop them, and so do the leeches/slugs in Blighttown (depending on which way you went, you may not have seen them yet). Both also drop Green Titanite (fire/magic/divine upgrading), and the ones in Blighttown drop 5 green at a time, which helps a lot with something else a little later.

thanks. I went back to the rat room and found a key I missed - but I never found a bonfire.

It seemed like the curse frogs don't respawn, which is nice. Though I looked them up and it says they're good for farming.. so maybe they do? weird.

I started a new Wanderer on PC after quitting with my warrior due to stacked curses on my 360 playthrough ages ago. So far so good and I have my Schmitar up at +5 and an am SL22 after beating the gargoyles. Now I am at the age old Capra Demon problem. I cannot beat that goat faced monstrocity no matter what I try. I made a run or two at Havel aswell and am being killed in one hit.

So a bit stuck as to where else to go really. I have a few titanite shards is it worth upgrading my armour set or is that a waste? Im rocking a Balder shield and still keeping optimum roll speed but I doubt upgrading that is going to help me much either. I have been pumping mostly Dex and End with a couple of points in Vit.

Make sure you have a decent amount poise from either some heavy armor pieces or the wolf ring
past the demon below the smith's fire, into the forest, past the sealed door and a ways behind a killable tree on the right

If you get staggered by every hit from a dog you're going to have a bad time.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just completed the Abyss DLC, great stuff. Haven't beat Kalameeth, though. First one i'm gonna skip. What a basterd. :/
I'm currently exploring the Ruins and Lost Izalith. Is this the same game i've played for 80 hours? What a drop in quality! I think I remember reading one of those two was rushed, and if that's truly the case, it's painfully clear to see. Empty with copy-pasted enemies. Or so it feels, anyhow. Man. Such a bummer.

The magma does look pretty. So, there's that. :p

Top Bottom