• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

There should be two vendors available to you that can sell you a stone to cure curse. One is in at the bell tower where you rang the first bell after the gargoyle fight, and the other is in the little tunnel that serves as a shortcut from Firelink Shrine and the entrance of the depths.
But I am in Btown.

Also, curses for getting the last post of the previous page. If any veterans can answer those questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Joei

But I am in Btown.

Also, curses for getting the last post of the previous page. If any veterans can answer those questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

The poster that answered that your question is correct. When cursed, you need an item (the exact name escapes me at the moment) which is a stone and there are two vendors that you should have come across that sell the stone; the one at the Bell Tower and the lady trapped behind the bars in the tunnel that connects upper and lower burg. Thus, if you are in Blighttown and never removed the curse previously, you have to either venture back and purchase them, or tough it out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I want to become wildly overpowered [...]

Here are my stats, and currently equipped gear. Feel free to mock me:
Now now, why would we do th---

VIT 26
ATT 10
END 22
STR 32
DEX 18

RES 16
INT 9
FAI 9

Currently Equipped: Lightning Spear +3, Knight Shield +9, Mask of the Sealer, Crimson Robe +1, Crimson Gloves, Havel's Legging, Tiny Being's Ring, Hornet Ring. Also have 10 Estus Flasks +1. One attunement slot.
Nevermind. *points and laughs*

Hah but seriously... ditch that crappy gear mate (the bolded above). Knight shield is terrible, there are better, lighter shields with better stability and protection. You surely found a crest shield (100% phys block, 80% mag block) or grass crest shield (decent block, 95% I think, almost no damage gets through despite the numbers, and stamina regen boost) somewhere. Use those instead.

For weapons, with those stats, undo the divine on your halberd and make it +15 asap instead (or a claymore or zwei, or, if you have any Black Knight gear, use those, they are good, especially the Black Knight Great Axe and the Black Knight Halberd). Your str and dex are completely wasted on lightning weapons, as they don't scale at all, plus split damage = kinda bad. You surely have better rings too by now; I would suggest Ring of Favour and Protection, or, if you don't have it, Wolf Ring. Tiny Being is crap. Hornet can be useful if you backstab or riposte a lot, so feel free to keep it, but it won't serve for bosses.

With the Wolf ring and decent armour, you'll have enough poise to tank many hits while dishing out solid damage. Make sure you stay below 50% of your equip burden though, because rolling is still useful when blocking fails. With those stats you can also use the Composite Bow pretty well if you want ranged options. But you might be out of titanite for that by then. So if you want an easier alternative to physical damage/melee, you could pump 1 or 2 more attunement slots for pyromancy; if you have a strong pyro glove, you can really murder Seath, Gwyn and the likes with Great Fireball or Great Combustion. Assuming you have the souls to upgrade it, of course.

Good luck.

Randam

get a kite shield.
or farm/buy the balder shield.

stability is the most important stat for shields.

here and there you need one with high magic or fire defense.
then you take the crest or dragon crest shield.
ot latter the black knight shield.

normal shield with highest stability is the silver knight shield.

Mistel

Banned
VIT 26
ATT 10
END 22
STR 32
DEX 18
RES 16
INT 9
FAI 9
Weapon wise a claymore is for you it's got double C's for scaling and has a nice reach and strong moveset. If like me you favor strength weapons the man serpent greatsword has A scaling.

If you can dodge with ease don't bother with any shield other than the grass crest on for stamina regen whilst it's on your back.

this just in

Artorias is bullshit

or specifically

that damn "hit you on the ground a million times in a row so that one mistake costs you the entire battle no matter what your health is" attack is bullshit
His attacks leave him wide open for harm if you position your self correctly. Or try different armor.

kionedrik

this just in

Artorias is bullshit

or specifically

that damn "hit you on the ground a million times in a row so that one mistake costs you the entire battle no matter what your health is" attack is bullshit

Make sure you cancel his powering-up move otherwise he will practically one-shot you.

Randam

this just in

Artorias is bullshit

or specifically

you mean his somersaults?
just roll to the right

But I am in Btown.

There's a different way to get your curse removed too, one that only costs you 1 humanity. If you go back to the Firelink Shrine and to down the stairs right by the bonfire you'll wind up in the New Londo Ruins. The enemies there can only be hurt by cursed characters or characters using cursed weapons, so this is probably the best time to go there. I think it's also accessible from near the bonfire in Btown but I'm not sure. Anyways there's an old man on top of the second building there who will remove curses from you. Just make sure you deal with all the ghosts in the area first since you'll need to use a transient curse (an item they drop) to hurt them after getting un-cursed. You also might want to farm them for one of their blades, which is cursed to that even if you get your own curse undone you'll still be able to use it to hurt them.

hao chi

I've been playing my one and only Dark Souls character on and off since release. Most of this time was spent without consulting guides or other players for advice. I'm SL60 with about 45 hours played. That's probably sad. I've set a goal to finish DS1 before moving on to the sequel when it releases on PC next month.

I want to become wildly overpowered, in the hopes of making my remaining time with DS1 as stress-free as possible. I'm seeking your advice on appropriate next steps: What gear I should acquire and how I should evolve my spec, in order to become an unstoppable killing machine? I'm no longer interested in "the experience" -- I just want to finish. Blasphemy for this thread, I'm sure, but I promise to play DS2 properly. :)

For reference, I've rung the bells, cleared Sen's, killed Sif, Orstein/Smough, Pinwheel, and I'm sure a few others that I can't remember. If memory serves I was going for Four Kings next, but I'm not sure that's the most appropriate course of action.

Here are my stats, and currently equipped gear. Feel free to mock me:

VIT 26
ATT 10
END 22
STR 32
DEX 18
RES 16
INT 9
FAI 9

Currently Equipped: Lightning Spear +3, Knight Shield +9, Mask of the Sealer, Crimson Robe +1, Crimson Gloves, Havel's Legging, Tiny Being's Ring, Hornet Ring. Also have 10 Estus Flasks +1. One attunement slot.

Selected inventory: Soul of Moonlight Butterfly, Core of Iron Golem, Soul of Smough, Soul of Sif, Divine Halberd +2, All Havel Gear.

Finally, my Gold account has expired, so I'm offline-only, and I won't be buying the DLC.

Given all that, I would love your suggestions on how best to crush the opposition.

Well, since you've got The Four Kings next, for them I suggest
throwing on your best armor and going to town on them with a lightning weapon (don't worry too much about blocking and dodging). Basically just tank the fight and heal as necessary.

I accidentally read that tip before I fought them, and I literally beat them on my first try with no problem.

Mistel

Banned
Or use transient curses to allow yourself to hit the ghosts without needing to be cursed yourself or using cursed weapons.

Mistel

Banned
Can you block with the weapon itself? Never tried it.
With the jagged ghost blade it only blocks with the weapon two handed like everything else does. I've only blocked with a weapon in extreme circumstances a claymore can actually block mega Ornstein's spear thrust quite well.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just about to fight O&S.
Er, I've actually begun. I went in my first time and got the skinny one down to about 1/10th health but then I got really excited I might beat them on my first try and immediately lost focus and got the shit knocked out of me.

Gonna try again later tonight. Gorgeous battle though, I'm playing downscaled or whatever and I can't believe the detail on Anor Londo. It helps the silver knights and the royal sentinels were extremely extremely fun to grind off of too. I must have fought the royal sentinels 15 times looking for Titanite Chunks. It was really good practice for the O&S battle it seems like too.

Not sure where I'm headed from here though.

onionfrog

Beat Ornstein and Smough yesterday and got the Lordvessel.

Is there any recommended order for tackling the next few areas of the game? I know I need to go into the forest to fight sif. I think I'm going to do that next since that's the last thing I remember doing on my old PS3 before it died...

--------------
I also started two new characters and got one to the beginning of Anor Londo and the other to Blighttown. It's much faster when you know the shortcuts!

Mistel

Banned
Just about to fight O&S.
Er, I've actually begun. I went in my first time and got the skinny one down to about 1/10th health but then I got really excited I might beat them on my first try and immediately lost focus and got the shit knocked out of me.

Not sure where I'm headed from here though.
Well there's two ways to do it you can kill Ornstein first (guy who likes thrusting with his spear) which is easier for the second stage. Or kill Smough (the one who likes executions and crushing things with a hammer) for a more difficult second stage. But better rewards.

After that you meet Gwynevre princess of sunlight cleavage who tells you plot and gives you want you need.

Is there any recommended order for tackling the next few areas of the game? I know I need to go into the forest to fight sif. I think I'm going to do that next since that's the last thing I remember doing on my old PS3 before it died...

--------------
I also started two new characters and got one to the beginning of Anor Londo and the other to Blighttown. It's much faster when you know the shortcuts!

Sif is not too bad since he doesn't have much HP. I actually beat him before I even went to Blighttown.

Of the four yellow doors, I'd say go to the Archives first since Seath is such a pushover. It's also worth your while to go there if you're using sorcery since you can acquire a ton of spells.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well there's two ways to do it you can kill Ornstein first (guy who likes thrusting with his spear) which is easier for the second stage. Or kill Smough (the one who likes executions and crushing things with a hammer) for a more difficult second stage. But better rewards.

After that you meet Gwynevre princess of sunlight cleavage who tells you plot and gives you want you need.

From what I understand I have like 4 things I can do once I get out of Anor Londo

• Great Hollow
  • Catacombs
  • Dukes Archives
  • Artorias DLC
  • New Londo
  • Valley of the Drakes

Or at least those are all the places I know about that I haven't been to yet.

authors note: thats more than 4 things.

Mistel

Banned
From what I understand I have like 4 things I can do once I get out of Anor Londo

1. Great Hollow
  2. Catacombs
  3. Dukes Archives
  4. Artorias DLC
  5. New Londo
  6. Valley of the Drakes

Or at least those are all the places I know about that I haven't been to yet.

authors note: thats more than 4 things.
That's a whole lot of exploring left to do. You've not mentioned the most grossly incandescent place in Lodran that you're going to enjoy visiting.

It depends on what you want. Great hollow and ash lake are worth exploring, the dlc offers some new weapons and armor for you, Dukes has some magic stuff and the crystal ember.

Drakes is just a shortcut area with a sleepy rotting dragon. Have you done the painted world?

The poster that answered that your question is correct. When cursed, you need an item (the exact name escapes me at the moment) which is a stone and there are two vendors that you should have come across that sell the stone; the one at the Bell Tower and the lady trapped behind the bars in the tunnel that connects upper and lower burg. Thus, if you are in Blighttown and never removed the curse previously, you have to either venture back and purchase them, or tough it out.
Yeah, but I asked three questions in my post. I was hoping for answers to the other two.

How do I even get back up above from Blighttown? I didn't know it was possible without going through the dungeon.

Mistel

Banned
Other questions.
Dragon king great axe doesn't scale with stats, is heavy and needs dragon scales to upgrade it. There's lots of different axes and great axes to try so don't tie yourself to it. You've not even likely to have a black knight great axe or a golem axe.

And assuming that because you are using axes you are putting points into strength it's a waste to just use the dragon king one.

And yes there is blood stains and messages in the game more common in latter areas.

How do I even get back up above from Blighttown? I didn't know it was possible without going through the dungeon.
There's a lift at the bottom near the bonfire that allows you to go up to near the valley of the drakes exit of blight town. You know it when you see it.

So, I'm on my first playthrough of what I intend to be at least two and a half total because I am planning on 1000/1000ing the game.

I just struggled my way through Anor Londo and I am at the point where the Eye starts vibrating, but I'm unable to use it... is it because I don't have any humanity? Do I miss anything if I beat Smough and Ornstein before using it?

Mistel

Banned
I just struggled my way through Anor Londo and I am at the point where the Eye starts vibrating, but I'm unable to use it... is it because I don't have any humanity? Do I miss anything if I beat Smough and Ornstein before using it?
The black eye orb is a bit location sensitive. Just go anywhere in the main hall where it's not grayed out and it works fine.

--------------

Go for the DLC ASAP then fight sif.

Nerokis

Go for the DLC ASAP then fight sif.

Easier said than done. I made a new character and took the "go for the DLC ASAP" approach (while also keeping my SL relatively low, it must be said), and the bosses were quite a pain. I imagine someone doing them for the first time would find them even more difficult.

I would recommend saving the DLC for last. Post-O&S, it is the high point of the game for most people.

Easier said than done. I made a new character and took the "go for the DLC ASAP" approach (while also keeping my SL relatively low, it must be said), and the bosses were quite a pain. I imagine someone doing them for the first time would find them even more difficult.

I would recommend saving the DLC for last. Post-O&S, it is the high point of the game for most people.

I think you need the read the poster I quoted then.

Still thats how you have to do the DLC after S&O fight.

Dragon king great axe doesn't scale with stats, is heavy and needs dragon scales to upgrade it. There's lots of different axes and great axes to try so don't tie yourself to it. You've not even likely to have a black knight great axe or a golem axe.

And assuming that because you are using axes you are putting points into strength it's a waste to just use the dragon king one.

And yes there is blood stains and messages in the game more common in latter areas.

There's a lift at the bottom near the bonfire that allows you to go up to near the valley of the drakes exit of blight town. You know it when you see it.
Thank you!

I don't understand what I need to read, or why you have to do the DLC (directly) after O&S. :p Care to explain?

Sure,

Because after placing the lordvessel you can get access to duke archives and get the Lost pendant which is the required item to do the DLC and gives you stuff to proceed and trade for the last bosses.

Lorewise you had to rescue dusk to give you a background idea about ooalice, after placing the lordvessel dusk spirit disappears and you get captured
by mManus to and you learn about oaalice and you were the one who fought the abyss and saved Dusk not Artorias
after the DLC Dusk get more dialogues and you can now proceed to visit artorias grave and you get a different cinematic, and a more knowlegde about the entire game.

I loved how everything make more sense in that order, just saying. You are free do do the DLC in any way you want

With the jagged ghost blade it only blocks with the weapon two handed like everything else does. I've only blocked with a weapon in extreme circumstances a claymore can actually block mega Ornstein's spear thrust quite well.
Doh, I meant does it block the ghosts :p

You can use a cursed weapon to hit them, but if you aren't cursed your shield won't block them. Just wondering if blocking with a cursed weapon will block the ghosts (when you're not cursed).

You can do it after defeating O&S, and iirc you don't need to be human. Like Stormtrooper said, it only works in the great hall, if it's greyed out you can't use it.

Nerokis

Sure,

Because after placing the lordvessel you can get access to duke archives and get the Lost pendant which is the required item to do the DLC and gives you stuff to proceed and trade for the last bosses.

Lorewise you had to rescue dusk to give you a background idea about ooalice, after placing the lordvessel dusk spirit disappears and you get captured
by mManus to and you learn about oaalice and you were the one who fought the abyss and saved Dusk not Artorias
after the DLC Dusk get more dialogues and you can now proceed to visit artorias grave and you get a different cinematic, and a more knowlegde about the entire game.

I loved how everything make more sense in that order, just saying. You are free do do the DLC in any way you want

Ahh. Yeah, everything flows in a pretty cool way with that approach, although you do have to miss out on
meeting Frampt
, since you hold off on killing Sif.

Mistel

Banned
Yup, that was one of the best areas! The phalanx thing is super creepy.
I liked the crow demons really but that place is full of peaceful things that wouldn't hurt anyone...

Thank you!
No problem if you have anymore questions just ask as I went with a strength build so I know what you might want to look for weapon wise.

You can use a cursed weapon to hit them, but if you aren't cursed your shield won't block them. Just wondering if blocking with a cursed weapon will block the ghosts (when you're not cursed).
Cursed weapons can block the ghosts by themselves I believe.

kionedrik

A cursed weapon allows you to interact with the ghosts, so you can attack and block with it. The trick is to 2-hand it (not really sure if it's worth it cuz of the low damage reduction).

Cool, cool. I know two-handed blocks, I just never blocked with a cursed weapon in all this time. The drop rate on transient curses is pretty high, I guess you'd never need to - but you never know!

Mistel

Banned
Cool, cool. I know two-handed blocks, I just never blocked with a cursed weapon in all this time. The drop rate on transient curses is pretty high, I guess you'd never need to - but you never know!
There's a cursed great sword but that requires intelligence of 18 to use and it's a waste I think.

kionedrik

There's a cursed great sword but that requires intelligence of 18 to use and it's a waste I think.

The Artorias Cursed Greatsword. I once built a character with the sole intent of using that thing and got it as soon as I reached Anor Londo (I even +5 it). Let's just say that it looks (really cool) but the damage was so underwhelming I never finished that run...

Mistel

Banned
The Artorias Cursed Greatsword. I once built a character with the sole intent of using that thing and got it as soon as I reached Anor Londo (I even +5 it). Let's just say that it looks (really cool) but the damage was so underwhelming I never finished that run...
I'm not sure if the same could be said for the abyss greatsword but I've not made one yet. I hope it's better than Gwyn's greatsword though.

eagledare

Decided to summon someone in the gaping dragon. Kind of wish I hadn't because they beat the shit out of him before I could get his tail. It's less about the tail and more about the total lack of challenge.

Hmm, I'm playing on a 2500k with a 6950 at 1080 it's been very consistent.

I ripped everything out and reinstalled w/DSFix and everything is working well now. 1080p and 60fps Dark Souls is mana from heaven (or hell).

Some of the things in this game seem absolutely impossible to figure out on your own. For example, the hidden achievement for the dark lord ending. Now how the hell would I have ever figured that out?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I did it during my first run by accident by
leaving without lighting the bonfire
. Many things in Dark Souls aren't meant to be "figured out" initially, more like "experienced".

And then there are mechanics that should have been explained and are incredibly frustrating until you look them up online.

Well, I gave my first real shot at Smough and Ornstein tonight... good god, this is brutal. Part of it I am doing to myself, though, because I want to kill Smough first to make me NG+ run easier.

Well, I gave my first real shot at Smough and Ornstein tonight... good god, this is brutal. Part of it I am doing to myself, though, because I want to kill Smough first to make me NG+ run easier.
This is a really good reason actually.

Being nimble helps against Ornstein, having fast roll helps for getting out of the butt bounce at the last minute. A good shield also helps, Eagle Shield is perfect - high stability and lowest(?) stats of all the great shield and it's wood so it has high lightning defense. Pyromancy is also good against him.

Top Bottom