• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

kionedrik

There are no pure sorcerers in PVP.

While what you say it's true, it's not really a counter argument to what I said. For PvP purposes all you need is Soulmass and/or Bead and you can stagger almost anyone. And for the record, I know they are dodgeable but the peer-to-peer system makes it almost impossible to time it right.

While what you say it's true, it's not really a counter argument to what I said. For PvP purposes all you need is Soulmass and/or Bead and you can stagger almost anyone. And for the record, I know they are dodgeable but the peer-to-peer system makes it almost impossible to time it right.

No.

You dont know how to roll if Soulmass damaged you also you can easily past the soulmass just rolling forward, the sorcerer is dead.

Just came home from school and picked this up on the way home. Can't wait to die a million times over my spring break. Time to read some "before you play" tips! So excited to play!

Mistel

Banned
Just came home from school and picked this up on the way home. Can't wait to die a million times over my spring break. Time to read some "before you play" tips! So excited to play!
Strength weapons are the best nice and big and strong. Unless you like speed then the people who use katana's are probably more knowledgeable about them than I.

Ok, so what level are people normally when they ring the first bell?

I just managed to do that but only by grinding to level 21 and getting a halberd+5.

onionfrog

Those Anor Londo Silver Knight Archers are just as annoying as I had remembered!

Ran up to the rightmost one only to get knocked off the ledge while blocking one of his ballista bolts.

I think that's as far as I'm going to make it tonight. :(

Wow. I just found blighttown. I think I went to almost every other possible place I could go looking for it. I even almost cleared the catacombs...

Those Anor Londo Silver Knight Archers are just as annoying as I had remembered!

Ran up to the rightmost one only to get knocked off the ledge while blocking one of his ballista bolts.

I think that's as far as I'm going to make it tonight. :(

I know of two techniques to killing them.
After you kill the two golems, and you go right,kill the two lightning shooting weirdos on the platform then there will be one to the left of the stairs. Kill it , go behind it and climb on to the buttress there. Take out your ranged weapon ( along with the hawk ring if you have one) and kill the archer on the left. then it's easy as you can roll underneath the arrows coming from the guy on the right.

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO THE LEFT ARCHER.Once you're so close, you can make out with him, the right one won't be able to hit you because of the building in between.Take out the left archer and then backtrack to the right one. Blocking arrows is inefficient as you can get pushed back.

The thing to remember is not to hesitate. If you think that standing and blocking is the easier choice, then you're going to die.

Completely unrelated, but when I was being invaded, suddenly a red summon sign of some other player showed up as well. I didn't summon because I thought they could be hostile but what would happen if I did summon? Could it turn into a threeway battle or would he team up against me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Easiest way to deal with those asshole archers is to
run right up to the right one (dodging when necessary), then as soon as he pulls out his sword instead of his bow, turn around and run right the fuck back down where you came from. His dumb ass will fall off, so you can just continue on without worring about the other guy very much at all.

Zertez

Mmmm lvl 30 with the sorcerer starter catalyst.

I was shocked to fight that thing, for the first time in years.
You will probably use the starter catalyst for most of the game. It has been awhile since I looked, but I think there is only 2 maybe 3 upgrades to the starter catalyst. You will find new catalyst along the way, but they will be worse or the same as the starter. The only difference was the model of the catalyst. Armor isnt much better either. Poor itemization for Sorcerers or Int casters is one of the biggest complaints I have with DS1.

Vice

I'm tryingto play the PC version but can't play online. I keep getting the GFWl error :0X80072751. No clue what to do. I've tried re-installing DS, re-installing GFWl and running them both in different compatability modes. Am I just fucked?

kionedrik

No.

You dont know how to roll if Soulmass damaged you also you can easily past the soulmass just rolling forward, the sorcerer is dead.

I said that myself, they are dodgeable. The problem is timing it right to compensate the delay between what you see and what is happening. I can't tell you how many times I dodged attacks (magic or physical) only to find out 2 or 3 seconds later that I was hit with them. Perhaps it's a PC thing, a GFWL thing or just my personal connection, but when I invade someone that has soulmass, there's a 90% chance that I'll die just from it and another attack. And that's another issue with that spell, it's completly passive.

I'm tryingto play the PC version but can't play online. I keep getting the GFWl error :0X80072751. No clue what to do. I've tried re-installing DS, re-installing GFWl and running them both in different compatability modes. Am I just fucked?

Have you tried to completly uninstall GFWL before re-installing?

Vice

I said that myself, they are dodgeable. The problem is timing it right to compensate the delay between what you see and what is happening. I can't tell you how many times I dodged attacks (magic or physical) only to find out 2 or 3 seconds later that I was hit with them. Perhaps it's a PC thing, a GFWL thing or just my personal connection, but when I invade someone that has soulmass, there's a 90% chance that I'll die just from it and another attack. And that's another issue with that spell, it's completly passive.

Have you tried to completly uninstall GFWL before re-installing?
Yes. I figured it out. Had to open more ports. Got the update, time to go to bed.

onionfrog

I know of two techniques to killing them.
After you kill the two golems, and you go right,kill the two lightning shooting weirdos on the platform then there will be one to the left of the stairs. Kill it , go behind it and climb on to the buttress there. Take out your ranged weapon ( along with the hawk ring if you have one) and kill the archer on the left. then it's easy as you can roll underneath the arrows coming from the guy on the right.

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO THE LEFT ARCHER.Once you're so close, you can make out with him, the right one won't be able to hit you because of the building in between.Take out the left archer and then backtrack to the right one. Blocking arrows is inefficient as you can get pushed back.

The thing to remember is not to hesitate. If you think that standing and blocking is the easier choice, then you're going to die.

Completely unrelated, but when I was being invaded, suddenly a red summon sign of some other player showed up as well. I didn't summon because I thought they could be hostile but what would happen if I did summon? Could it turn into a threeway battle or would he team up against me.
Easiest way to deal with those asshole archers is to
run right up to the right one (dodging when necessary), then as soon as he pulls out his sword instead of his bow, turn around and run right the fuck back down where you came from. His dumb ass will fall off, so you can just continue on without worring about the other guy very much at all.
Thanks guys. I had remembered that running up and killing them quickly was the way to go. I just fucked it up this time but I'll give it a shot again tonight.

rugioh

Banned
I just finished catacombs+ToTG but theres something I don't understand. Why do you have to use divine weapons to keep skeletons down in catacombs but in ToTG regular weapons work on the other skeletons? I died around 20 times because my piddling divine spear +5 did measly damage against the big things, eventually said screw it and switched to my +14 claymore and 2 shotted everything in the zone and realized they didn't respawn.

jamesjmorton

Neo Member
I just finished catacombs+ToTG but theres something I don't understand. Why do you have to use divine weapons to keep skeletons down in catacombs but in ToTG regular weapons work on the other skeletons?

In the catacombs there are necromancers that will keep resurrecting the skeletons you kill with un-divine weapons until you kill that necromancer.

I just finished catacombs+ToTG but theres something I don't understand. Why do you have to use divine weapons to keep skeletons down in catacombs but in ToTG regular weapons work on the other skeletons? I died around 20 times because my piddling divine spear +5 did measly damage against the big things, eventually said screw it and switched to my +14 claymore and 2 shotted everything in the zone and realized they didn't respawn.

Only the skeletons in the catacombs reanimate, not the ones in TotG. They only stay dead if..

1. you kill them with divine weapons
2. The necromancer in the area is dead. There are about 4 or 5 necromancers in that area, once the area's necromancer is dead, regular weapons will be enough to kill the skeletons.

Necromancer's are probably part of Seath's fetish club. Can't only holy weapons kill them?

Nan. A good wallop with my halberd took care of 'em.

Honestly I loved the Catacombs. Those skeletons were so DUMB. Luring them into launching themselvs into pits was some of the most fun I've had so far in this game.

Mistel

Banned
Nan. A good wallop with my halberd took care of 'em.

Honestly I loved the Catacombs. Those skeletons were so DUMB. Luring them into launching themselvs into pits was some of the most fun I've had so far in this game.
I just walked past them or let leeroy loose to run around. The catacombs weren't that difficult to do really.

The Catacombs was one of my favourite areas. I miss the kick animation in DS2 because of how much fun it was to kick skeletons off the cliffs in there. Ahhh memories.

Double

Just went through Blighttown, accidentally attacked the blacksmith near Darkroot while trying a new weapon. Now I apparently have to beat the gargoyles and pay some guy tons of souls just to make him friendly with me again. Isn't there anyone else in my reach who sells this Titanite stuff? (I bought the do it yourself-boxes before the accident happened=

This bullshit NPC-aggroing thing is the most retarded game design choice in any game ever. FUCK YOU From Software.

Mistel

Banned
ßthePenguin;106098446 said:
This bullshit NPC-aggroing thing is the most retarded game design choice in any game ever. FUCK YOU From Software.
Attacks an NPC and expects them to just sit there? I mean it's like all of them attack you when made hostile...

Chitown B

ßthePenguin;106098446 said:
Just went through Blighttown, accidentally attacked the blacksmith near Darkroot while trying a new weapon. Now I apparently have to beat the gargoyles and pay some guy tons of souls just to make him friendly with me again. Isn't there anyone else in my reach who sells this Titanite stuff? (I bought the do it yourself-boxes before the accident happened=

what? You already went through Blight Town but haven't even beaten the gargoyles yet?

Double

Don't make up an excuse for this shit please. They shall kill me and get their revenge, but that should be it. No fucking need to stop me from interacting with them forever unless I grind up tons of souls and hopefully am already able to reach the guy who can make it go away, all because of ONE misclick.

Horrible, horrible, horrible design really.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yes, your actions do indeed have consequences. I actually appreciate that and believe it to be fair design in a game that refuses to hold your hand or ignore your mistakes. It's good design and fits with the overall theme of the narrative even if it is frustrating when you fuck up.

If you've made it through twilight Blighttown you should have no problem getting through the Undead Parish and killing the Gargoyles. From there, it should be sufficient to use the souls gained from ringing the upper bell to cleanse your soul of its crimes.

After all, it is only human to commit a sin...

Chitown B

ßthePenguin;106099211 said:
Don't make up an excuse for this shit please. They shall kill me and get their revenge, but that should be it. No fucking need to stop me from interacting with them forever unless I grind up tons of souls and hopefully am already able to reach the guy who can make it go away, all because of ONE misclick.

Horrible, horrible, horrible design really.

no, it's consistent across the entire game. All NPCs keep their status through the game, which is sane. As you noted, it's not like it's permanent if you pay for absolution.

Double

I'll try the gargoyles again now, but yeah, there are differences in my opinion between "consistence" and "fitting the theme" or just plain wasting the players fucking time because of such a bagatelle like a small misclick.

Crazy to find people defend this stuff.

Jamesways

Beat O&S yesterday with some phantom help. Turned out to be a pretty fun battle. I stuck around a while and tried to help others beat them after. NG+ I'll try to tackle them solo.

I think I went overboard leveling up vit, end, and equip here fearing how tough O&S are. It's a great place to get tons of souls quickly though, and I just love the entire level (archer part aside- did the turn and run to get past the one on the right after about 7 tries).

Even taking on the 6 Sentinels at the beginning will get you 9,000 souls. If you do a full run from start to boss door through shortcut (8 sentinels, several Silver Knights, and the 2 Royal Sentinels), you can amass a boat load of souls pretty fast. Favorite stage by far.

Beat the 4 Kings last night as well. Tank and slash! Took 2 tries, figured out light armor wasn't the best. I missed the Very Large Ember so I'll have to go back to grab it and try to get a few Titanite Slabs from the Darkwraiths too.

Love this game so much. Like sacrificing sleep to play it, or going home early from work if I can swing it in order to play. It's addictive!

rugioh

Banned
ßthePenguin;106100009 said:
I'll try the gargoyles again now, but yeah, there are differences in my opinion between "consistence" and "fitting the theme" or just plain wasting the players fucking time because of such a bagatelle like a small misclick.

Crazy to find people who hover their index fingers over R1 near NPCs. It goes both ways if you think about it

Chitown B

I don't click, I use a controller.... I've never hit an NPC, ever. And I didn't have to try hard not to. I don't know what to tell you - the game saves every 20 seconds or something, or when you do anything. It makes you keep your choices, good or bad. That's what it is.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Haha. We've all been there. Unequip your weapons when approaching NPCs. But trust me when I say you'll find something else to rage about by the time you get to Anor Londo. It is a known quantity of dark souls.

I just beat the gargoyles. My advice is grinding up souls until you deal proportionally more damage to them than they do to you.

Double

I just beat the gargoyles. My advice is grinding up souls until you deal proportionally more damage to them than they do to you.
Yeah that's how it went this time after I made depths + blighttown in between <:)

@Future NPC hitting - no current plans, but things can change quickly!

Chitown B

ßthePenguin;106104215 said:
Yeah that's how it went this time after I made depths + blighttown in between <:)

@Future NPC hitting - no current plans, but things can change quickly!

going Blighttown first is hardcore.

ßthePenguin;106103219 said:
17500 Souls. What a bargain! :p

Gargoyles gave only 10k zzzz
You'll get another 5,000 for every time you beat them in co-op. It's like 2 minutes work max, and the rewards only get bigger from here.

It sucks if you don't know about hitting NPCs, but we all learn the lesson the hard way, and at least you didn't kill him - there's been loads of people come in to the thread and say the had to kill an NPC because they aggro'd them not knowing there is a way to undo it - depending on your weapon choices Andre is arguably the most important NPC, so 17,500 is a bargain in a way! :p

going Blighttown first is hardcore.

You're telling me. After ringing the first bell I tried finding Blighttown. I went to literally every single other place I could get to with my current level, and a few places I shouldn't have gone, looking for it. I only barely found it after clearing most of the Catacombs by accident.

Top Bottom