• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
GAAAAAH I honestly don't remember these gargoyles being such a humongous pain in the ass on the 360...

That fucking fire man. Wasted 5 black firebombs and 5 regular ones... died.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So is the
Iron Golem supposed to start stumbling around and fall off the ramparts at 80%? Kind of a disappointing fight if so lol.

Zeth

The way the levels connect is so damn good. Finding those shortcuts and seeing where they lead is really mindblowing at times. The level design in this is fantastic.
Couldn't agree more. That whole area around undead burg is burnt into my mind. So damn good. Ugh, I love this game.

Mognet

who's playing it with a ps3 pad? I connected it with MotioninJoy but it doesn't work. :-(

Did you remember to install the driver?

After I launch Dark Souls and get to the title screen, I then alt tab out and connect my DS3 and launch motionjoy. Finally after motionjoy has launched I'd click "enable" while having Xbox 360 Controller Emulator selected and wait a couple seconds before I alt tab back in...

Weirdly enough I can't launch Dark Souls without it freezing on me when I have the DS3 already connected so I have to jump through hoops to get it working.

kodt

Banned
killed capra demon on first attempt, titanite demon on second attempt, but gargoyles took about a dozen attempts :S

It actually took me 4 attempts to kill the Taurus Demon. I think I was too confident, I went in thinking I would just breeze through and he put me in my place.

I am playing as a deprived though and was using the starting club at the time.

Haunted

So is the
Iron Golem supposed to start stumbling around and fall off the ramparts at 80%? Kind of a disappointing fight if so lol.
haha nope.

If you attack his feet/legs, it's supposed to stumble and go down to one knee and take additional damage.

Yes, but you can also just beat it down the usual way.
Same with a boss in
the demon ruins
Wait, what? I don't think he's "supposed to" and it's certainly not tied to any health %.

Both are possible tactics, obviously.

I cannot backstab for my life!

There are 3 things to remember when backstabbing:

1) Lower your shield. You need to do this anyway because having your shield up makes your character move too slowly to be behind the enemy in the first place.

2) Get as close to the enemy as possible. And by close I mean ass to groin close. This isn't mandatory, but it'll improve your chances.

3) Probably the most important one, stop moving! Once you're in position let go of the thumbstick and attack. I can't even begin to count how many times i've failed to backstab because i forgot to stop moving. Big thanks to epicnamebro for mentioning this.

Finalow

Did you remember to install the driver?

After I launch Dark Souls and get to the title screen, I then alt tab out and connect my DS3 and launch motionjoy. Finally after motionjoy has launched I'd click "enable" while having Xbox 360 Controller Emulator selected and wait a couple seconds before I alt tab back in...

Weirdly enough I can't launch Dark Souls without it freezing on me when I have the DS3 already connected so I have to jump through hoops to get it working.
ok I tried like this and it works. thanks.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Audίoboxer;41487546 said:
Did they patch any bugs/exploits on the PC version? Hope when the DLC hits consoles some exploits can be fixed (bottomless box one for starters - I want to see the starting areas full of people with relevant weapons again :()

If you know what your doing you can pull of some suicide runs at the start firelink and get most of the good stuff.

3) Probably the most important one, stop moving! Once you're in position let go of the thumbstick and attack. I can't even begin to count how many times i've failed to backstab because i forgot to stop moving. Big thanks to epicnamebro for mentioning this.

I haven't had any issues with continuing to move in order to backstab. I think perhaps it just forces you to be more conscious about your position before you attempt to stab. The window -feels- smaller (having played over 1000 hours between the 360 and PS3, mostly pvp, before switching to PC), but it could be the quirks of a different framerate and adjusting to a different controller (wired PS2 instead of PS3/360).

Grief.exe

im playing with a claymore lightning +5 right now but i want to develop my char into a faith build. is the gargoyle halberd a good weapon to go for the divine upgrade path?

alternative would be balder side sword.

What's your name on xbl? I helped a guy yesterday morning on S&O using that sword. Small world if true.

Jintor

If you're having trouble backstabbing the most common reason is because you are not lowering your shield before you attack.

Oh. Helpful!

Man I love this game. Gradually climbing back to where I was on the console before I left off, only now I can just jump into this whenever I'm bored and don't have to steal the family TV to do so!

derwalde

What's your name on xbl? I helped a guy yesterday morning on S&O using that sword. Small world if true.

DerWalde

but i didnt finished S&O yet . ;)

tbh im afraid to call for help at S&O because i want to kill fatty first, and since there is no chat... yeah...

for the record: i think im going with the balder side sword because i cant stand the look of the halberd =/. i hope it will make a decent divine weapon.

one last option would be the bastard sword. but it doesnt have that beautiful R2 thrust from the claymore and a bit less range.

FtHTiny

DerWalde

tbh im afraid to call for help at S&O because i want to kill fatty first, and since there is no chat... yeah...

for the record: i think im going with the balder side sword because i cant stand the look of the halberd =/. i hope it will make a decent divine weapon.

one last option would be the bastard sword. but it doesnt have that beautiful R2 thrust from the claymore and a bit less range.

you can send him a message before the fight which one to kill and even if he wants to fuck with you, you can send him away with some stone. (i think it´s black)

Clevinger

How far in to the game can you get lightning spear? Pyromancer here choosing between faith and sorcery path...

How far in the game:
*spoilers*
Probably a little more than halfway through the game.

If you want to know the actual area:
*spoilers*
Sen's Fortress

Lombax

Banned
Question: I installed the game on my work machine however when i start it up [signed into xbox live as well] it is not showing my save file [no option to load game] I thought the game had cloud saves, at least it has the icon next to the game in my lib.
Anyone else run into this or know how I get steam to sync the save?

Thanks.

Grief.exe

How far in to the game can you get lightning spear? Pyromancer here choosing between faith and sorcery path...

Sen's

DerWalde

I used the Balder Side Sword for the longest time, its a good weapon. Switched to Quelag's after S&O. Kind of miss the balder move set though.

After playing around with different weapons, I keep coming back to my starting scimitar. My question is if one upgrade path is better then the other. Is a Raw weapon better then say a crystal weapon? Is Chaos better then Fire? Which in your opinion is the best upgrade path to follow?

Easily the most impressive thing about the game.

Yeah, they have to use a couple elevators to connect the different height levels, but there's no tricks involved, only two areas (with the DLC now three) are separated by loading screens and are physically located in a different place than the rest of the world.

Really, considering the scale of the whole game and the individual areas, having them logically connect like they do is a grand achievement. Impressive world design.
Here is a 3D map viewer for Dark Souls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTB5vhKGSI&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLvxtQENDZE_E6H5niIACfuA

It uses collision data to create a 3D map of the entire Dark Souls world.

Sullichin

After playing around with different weapons, I keep coming back to my starting scimitar. My question is if one upgrade path is better then the other. Is a Raw weapon better then say a crystal weapon? Is Chaos better then Fire? Which in your opinion is the best upgrade path to follow?

Chaos,fire,lightning add elemental damage at the expense of taking away stat scaling bonuses - meaning any extra DEX you have other than the minimum requirement for the scimitar won't be of any extra benefit.

Raw is OK for early in the game - it increases base attack damage and lowers the bonuses from your STR/DEX stat - but it's quickly outclassed and generally not recommended.

Crystal weapons can't be repaired. They have their uses though, as a crystal weapon that's not even fully upgraded is stronger than a +15 variant of the same weapon. Still, not recommended if you're going to want to stick with that weapon for a while, unless you don't mind re-crafting one every time it breaks.

I say, early in the game, fool around with different weapons and bring them up to +5 or +10 (if you have the large ember). Then later you can decide if you want to make them elemental or get stat bonuses out of them.

Haunted

Chester's armour set is some Baron Samedi kinda shit.

Here is a 3D map viewer for Dark Souls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTB5...E_E6H5niIACfuA

It uses collision data to create a 3D map of the entire Dark Souls world.
:bow Going to check that program out later.

As an aside, I was really hoping with the new bonfire warps they added they would've made it a nice, in-game 2D map from which you would select your desired warp location or something instead of a drab text menu that doesn't really fit with the world at all.

Kerrinck

Regarding access to the new content,
do I need to do anything before killing the golem in the archives? I keep killing him but he never drops an item.

Capra Demon is bullshit. I'm taking a break.

Same here, last night I raged right before going to bed cuz I couldnt beat him, I actually found a way to rush to his room from the firelink shrine without killing anyone just to get there as soon as possible with as little souls as possible.

ah thanks, wow probably gonna take me a while to get lightning spear then

I just started my pyromancer playthrough and found Astora's Straight Sword and am thinking of raising faith to 14 to use this, as well as using Heal and great heal 1 cast version

then gradually raising INT into 20's to get the nice sorcery spells, particularly for homing spells (they LOOK awesome lol) and high attunement for these, faith and pyro

Then rest of attributes among various combat ones especially to max out stamina, plus Health, and a little STR and DEX

is it a waste to put points into Faith for this? ie from 8 to 14?

Haunted

Regarding access to the new content,
do I need to do anything before killing the golem in the archives? I keep killing him but he never drops an item.
Yes.

Defeat the Hydra in the Darkroot Lake and rescue Dusk by killing the golden golem towards the deep end of the lake.

Yesterday I got invaded for the first time, I was really nervous as I assumed the invader was hacking (this being PC and all), so I just hid in a corner and I could see him walking by looking for me. It didnt help he was glowing red like a demon.

4 minutes later he manages to find me and im shaking like hell since I have tons of souls and I dont even know if he gets them all once he wins the fight.

Anyway, I see he charges his sword with some buff, probably a moss since he seemed to poison me with every hit.

I get desperate as fuck and just dual wield the drake sword and give him 2 hard hits, I killed him and it was one of the most exciting times I've had playing a videogame in a long time.

Got like 5k souls from him and 1 humanity.

And then I proceeded to get my ass kicked by the Capra demon thus losing all my gains :(

is estus flask and miracles (heals) the only practical ways to regain health in this game? are there health potions or health sucking weapon mods like many action RPG's?

Grief.exe

I'm probably going to start dark wraithing today. Just got to finish off sif and four kings, kind of a tall order though.

I don't hack, I'm ready for some fun fights and learning dark souls pvp.

Edit: have to go to class first...

Lombax

Banned
is estus flask and miracles (heals) the only practical ways to regain health in this game? are there health potions or health sucking weapon mods like many action RPG's?

I believe there is a ring out there that will replenish HP slowly over time.

edit: added a link to the Ring of the Evil Eye: Absorbs 30 HP from every fallen enemy. It is located in the depths.

S0N0S

I've had corrupted saves on the PS3 version of Dark Souls and with other games using GFWL, so I setup an automated backup system for my Dark Souls saves. Here's how I did it.

How-to backup your save "to the cloud" using Dropbox:

• Download Dropbox and install.
  • Create an account.
  • Download Dropbox Folder Sync and install.
  • Go to C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Documents, right click the NGBI folder, and click Sync with Dropbox.
  • That's it! Now you've setup an automated backup that is always up to date, as long as Dropbox is running in the background. Rejoice, for you are now free from the threat of save corruption and loss off potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay!
As an added bonus, Dropbox features a fairly comprehensive version history. This is not only useful for restoring after save corruption, but it means you can revert to any previous save state quickly and easily.

How-to restore a previous version of your save file:
  • Open your Dropbox homepage. Right click the Dropbox icon in the Notification Area on your taskbar and selecting "Launch Dropbox website" to open this page and automatically sign in.
  • You should see your sync'd NBGI folder on the homepage. Go to NBGI > Dark Souls > USERNAME and highlight your save file.
  • On the toolbar, go to More and click Previous versions. On this page, you should see all/nearly all previous versions of your save file. With just a few hours of play, I'm already up to 282 different versions.
  • To restore, just select which version you wish to restore to and click Restore at the bottom of the page. This will automatically sync this version of the file to your local Dropbox folder as well as the NBGI folder in Documents.

To avoid potential pitfalls using this autosave method, be sure to read the Dropbox Folder Sync page on how it works. The whole process is pretty failsafe once you upload your save, though. But if you're especially paranoid, check out GameSave manager to make periodic local backups.

ijed

humanity gives you full health and it's pretty easy to farm - and now the Depths is warpable it's even easier :D

thanks for the advice guys, WOW work sucks when all you can think about is dark souls lol

so is faith 8->14 a waste for a pyromancer just because I want to use the Astora's Straight Sword (and as a RPG hoarder I like idea of some heals)?

web01

Finally got up to the DLC content and holy shit the first boss is hard, its like a flamelurker 2.0 in the sense it goes all out to attack you.

I've had corrupted saves on the PS3 version of Dark Souls and with other games using GFWL, so I setup an automated backup system for my Dark Souls saves. Here's how I did it.

How-to backup your save "to the cloud" using Dropbox:

• Download Dropbox and install.
  • Create an account.
  • Download Dropbox Folder Sync and install.
  • Go to C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Documents, right click the NGBI folder, and click Sync with Dropbox.
  • That's it! Now you've setup an automated backup that is always up to date, as long as Dropbox is running in the background. Rejoice, for you are now free from the threat of save corruption and loss off potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay!
As an added bonus, Dropbox features a fairly comprehensive version history. This is not only useful for restoring after save corruption, but it means you can revert to any previous save state quickly and easily.

How-to restore a previous version of your save file:
  • Open your Dropbox homepage. Right click the Dropbox icon in the Notification Area on your taskbar and selecting "Launch Dropbox website" to open this page and automatically sign in.
  • You should see your sync'd NBGI folder on the homepage. Go to NBGI > Dark Souls > USERNAME and highlight your save file.
  • On the toolbar, go to More and click Previous versions. On this page, you should see all/nearly all previous versions of your save file. With just a few hours of play, I'm already up to 282 different versions.
  • To restore, just select which version you wish to restore to and click Restore at the bottom of the page. This will automatically sync this version of the file to your local Dropbox folder as well as the NBGI folder in Documents.

To avoid potential pitfalls using this autosave method, be sure to read the Dropbox Folder Sync page on how it works. The whole process is pretty failsafe once you upload your save, though. But if you're especially paranoid, check out GameSave manager to make periodic local backups.

Thank you so much, im saving this for later.

thanks for the advice guys, WOW work sucks when all you can think about is dark souls lol

so is faith 8->14 a waste for a pyromancer just because I want to use the Astora's Straight Sword (and as a RPG hoarder I like idea of some heals)?

I know right? I cant get any work done, im reading all I can read about the systems over at the Dark Souls Wiki.

Top Bottom