• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Beats out
Tomb of the Giants
as the creepiest area in the game, was constantly on edge while exploring it.

Same here, that area was fucking AMAZING. As a whole that DLC was the best best best. NPCs, gear, locations, story. Fuck I hope more is coming.

mxgt

Banned
By far, and the boss... Pffffffffffff.

Need to level up a bit.

Yeah the boss is tough, took me around 10-15 tries to get him down.

Same here, that area was fucking AMAZING. As a whole that DLC was the best best best. NPCs, gear, locations, story. Fuck I hope more is coming.

Agreed, I loved the DLC and definitely want more. The boss fights were definitely the standout, none of them were easy and all very cool.

so my black knight sword saying 24 STR means single handed then? I can try 2 handed with less (16 I think someone mentioned)?

AHHHH stuck at work meeting lol

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Nope. They do leash.
Sometimes you have to run super far though, often not too far.
Nope.

If they are impeded due to sheer size or by an obstacle, door or room they will leash sooner but if they are able to reach you they will generally chase you through the zone. I've had trains o Hollow soldiers trailing behind me in most zones when I just run past.

Razek

Banned
I wish I could play the game more, I get too scared. :(

Enemy aggro scares me. Is there no leash range for them? If they spot me, they'll chase me endlessly? It really makes me tense because MAYBE I passed by an enemy without noticing then they'll jump at my back some time later.

edit: That pic by Spanish Wrath does NOT help. :(

Just force yourself through it for a while and just get it in your mind that dying doesn't really affect much (it doesn't in the long run). Eventually you will become desensitized to everything and the enemies will not seem so threatening anymore. Especially when you character gets some more HP.

Nope.

If they are impeded due to sheer size or by an obstacle, door or room they will leash sooner but if they are able to reach you they will generally chase you through the zone. I've had trains o Hollow soldiers trailing behind me in most zones when I just run past.

This is only true sometimes. There are several enemies who will indeed return to their original position after chasing you for a bit, the
Armored Giants in Anor Londo, or the first Fang Boar at the entrance to the Duke's Archives for examples.

Serra

Nope.

Well I just tried this in the swamps. Aggroed a giant, ran away and he stopped following me in less than 15 seconds. I only ran in the water so there shouldn't have been any obstacles. (with rust ring, of course)

Tried the same thing with those cralwler/spider whatever monsters that do that firelash attack. They followed a bit longer. Few stopped early but one followed me quite a long time, around 45 secs. Again only running in the water.

Taruranto

Ok, apparently i have to restart all over again because of some account bullshit from GFWL. Just when i made significant progresses and obtained a lot of equip.
Great.

Serra

Ok, apparently i have to restart all over again because of some account bullshit from GFWL. Just when i made significant progresses and obtained a lot of equip.
Great.

Remember to use save game manager this time! There is a reason it is prominently featured in the OT.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
After test driving a couple classes I've finally settled on a hunter. Light armor, fencing swords and of course bows.

It's funny when the game finally clicks. Before I used to be terrified of getting invaded and always, always lost.

I beat back my first invader last night. A heavy armor-ish dude with a giant weapon (the big ones seem quite popular) and a pyro glove. I literally outmaneuvered the dude. Just kind of danced around him carefully with my shield up, dodging big swings and jabbing his ass whenever he came up short and I was in range. He must have gotten pissed toward the end because he switched to pyro and kept trying to burn-touch me or whatever that spell is.

I took awhile but actually finished his ass off from about three feet away with an arrow. It was the single most ballin' thing I've ever done in this game.

I need some guidance, so after killing Capra, I went down below to the
depths
, amazing atmosphere, anyway, I worked myself all the way to a huge cave like palace and on the top floor there is a
dude that starts dancing and throwing some kind of blue magic spear
Im level 18 but im too afraid to face him, its the first time I run into someone that uses magic spells like that..

If I go the other way I can work myself up to the
church stairs
in the undead parish, but I see there are
3 knights
inside and im afraid to go in there too, where should I go?

EasyMode

depths
, amazing atmosphere, anyway, I worked myself all the way to a huge cave like palace and on the top floor there is a
Im level 18 but im too afraid to face him, its the first time I run into someone that uses magic spells like that..

church stairs
3 knights

If you can handle Capra, then you can handle either of those enemies. I would finish the undead parish first, personally.

Serra

depths

church stairs
3 knights

Hold on a second. If what you say is correct, that is a really weird order you have progressed in.

Some questions:

Do you have the master key?

Have you rang the first bell ?

ezekial45

Banned
I'm debating whether or not I should fight Four Kings. I made it to the fog gate, but I changed my mind at the last minute. I'm at sLVL 80 with a lighting claymore +3 and Quellag's Furysword +3.

Is it a difficult fight?

mxgt

Banned
I'm debating whether or not I should fight Four Kings. I made it to the fog gate, but I changed my mind at the last minute. I'm at sLVL 80 with a lighting claymore +3 and Quellag's Furysword +3.

Is it a difficult fight?

No, it's pretty simple when you know how to approach it.

You're probably even over levelled for the fight, you'll definitely be able to beat it with a lightning claymore.

Is it a difficult fight?

Depending on stat allocation, you are probably overpowered for that fight. If you have been maining Dex (thus furysword is awesome) and have a low equip burden you should be able to go toe to toe with the kings without issue. Maybe things have changed, but on the PS3 my Dex build was well below SL80 for that fight and Inever faced more than one king at a time.

Mupod

So I'm finally past where I stopped in the console version. All new ways to die from here on in, but my versatile adventurer build fears nothing.

Lost Izalith was...lame.
Goes from a terribly boring room of eye-burning lava full of dinosaur asses randomly placed all over, to a slightly less boring drab temple full of the most unbelievably pointless and harmless enemy in the game. And then the boss is a gimmick fight full of instakill pitfalls.
Was this place designed by their intern? Maybe it was the guy who ported the PC version.

Oh well, at least it's over. And I finally managed to get my Great Lightning Spear courtesy of some bug farming and a dude who summoned me for both demon ruins boss fights.

This morning I booted Dark Souls from Steam.

I recieved a message from GFWL "Welcome to the new Games for Windows Live Experience" please log in to download update. I had to re-enter all my log in info and it downloaded an update.

Then (I think you all know where this is heading) the Dark Souls title screen comes up and it says "New Game" with "Continue" greyed out.

GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE ATE MY FIFTY FUCKING HOUR DARK SOULS SAVE.

Thankfully I downloaded that Game Saves manager two days ago thanks to this thread. But I haven't been updating it regularly. I'm not sure how far back my most recent save is but I guess now I gotta try to figure out where to put this save and see if it works...

Edit: Rebooted my PC and it now sees my save. Crisis averted. But I'm sure as hell using Game Save Manager more regularly from now on.

Razek

Banned
depths

church stairs
3 knights

You're crazy! The depths were the worst part of the game for me.

Question for anyone who has finished the DLC:

I beat Manus and afterwards I see Dusk of Oolacile laying nearby so I talk to her and she does nothing but make noises. I warped back to Oolacile Sanctuary, talk to the big mushroom and I'm thanked. I go back to the Chasm and she is no longer laying there. Is that it? I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything regarding that. Is there any way I can talk to her and can she still be summoned by the Hydra lake?

Bumping this in hopes of an answer.

Hold on a second. If what you say is correct, that is a really weird order you have progressed in.

Some questions:

Do you have the master key?

Have you rang the first bell ?

I do have the master key.

But I havent rung any bells yet.

You're crazy! The depths were the worst part of the game for me.

Its pretty creepy but finding the
huge temple like structure that has this huge opening in the horizon was pretty cool.

Ok so everyone is saying I should go to the Parish church, I will do that then. Thanks

ezekial45

Banned
No, it's pretty simple when you know how to approach it.

You're probably even over levelled for the fight, you'll definitely be able to beat it with a lightning claymore.

Depending on stat allocation, you are probably overpowered for that fight. If you have been maining Dex (thus furysword is awesome) and have a low equip burden you should be able to go toe to toe with the kings without issue. Maybe things have changed, but on the PS3 my Dex build was well below SL80 for that fight and Inever faced more than one king at a time.

My stats are the following

VIT 27
ATT 12
END 29
STR 30
DEX 25
RES 15
INT 11
FAI 12

How's that look? Plus, I'm a heavy armor build (black iron armor, currently)

2AdEPT

Halberd has a completely different attacking style though, does it not?

edit: what about a Lightning Winged Spear?
Demon's spear R2 if you like spears.
Yeah, that seems to work, but not as a permanent solution.

I guess no one else has this issue, I think I'm going to have to resort to mashing the stick around violently to fix it :/
That is a huge pain in the ass.
So I should put my points into strength /dex?
I need someone to tell me how to play.
Telling how ot play is against the cult religion of this community and I agree with that philosophy...but I will say that you can get more damage in teh long run by keeping most of your weapons physical damage. You cna have one lightning, and one chaos, but there is more flexibility when you can buff weapons for the situation with either the resins or the more powerful miracles and sorcery....it takes some time ot study the damage bonus structure which goes in this order: SABCDE, but when you pump your SAorB stats you get more bonus than elemntal weaons normally, apparently even more on the PC version. A t first, though elemental will be great early game powerhouses until you get your stats figured out so make a couple..one lightning, one chaos is recommended....chaos requires 10 humanity in teh ticker for full power..otherwise it will be less, depending on the resisitance of the enemy to fire/lightning.
Can't beat the wolf, been stuck at this boss for hours! I refuse to check a video on YouTube. I'm playing a pure melee warrior. Any tips?
animals are afraid of fire right? Just a guess! ;)
just finished Tomb of Giants. what the hell were they thinking. skull lantern (no lightspell) -> no shield -> lots of trouble.
there are three different choices for light in there...but as said already, nothing says you have to use light or even engage enemies in that area....one of my favourite experiences of all time in souls was going through there as a SL1 NO UPGRADES (and I mean ZERO) pyro with only skull lantern (once I found it down there.) It was hard to run by in the dark, and many deaths by falling were required to bring you this news.... but I had no time to use lantern when I was being chased by black knights and skelly dogs...finally made it through luck.......and then realizing that the NPC I was looking for was AFTER the lordvessel door...which was locked tight.......had to go back up through the dark and the catacombs...never having found that path before as I always just killed nito in previous playthroughs...I hit the fires down there so no homeward bone would work either; so had to go back the hard way (dropped down to get there.) THAT was difficult to manage....but one step at a time I got out over a bout 2-3 hours with only 10 or so deaths. Eventually, foudn a way to have zero deaths in the section frrom the bonfire back up tothe start of the tomb as I was able to abuse the AI of the skellies such that they jumped down over top of me while I waited on the ladder....man... I felt better than this game for a change! Never felt more rewarded in this game, even though there was no special achievement medal or item to show for it.

Since I forgot to ask about it last night, defeating Quelaag obviously points out the place where you're needed, but are there any benefits right now to going through either the
Great Hollow or the Demon Ruins
?
Deomn's ruins has lots of good loot at the start of the level to acquire......ASh lake is important later in the game for an NPC quest and is home to one covemenant that is worth trying but not anythign to rave about...if you get down there though DO at least hit the bonfire at the covenenat and join temporarily if you can so that you can ensure that you can warp back there later...its a long way down and up otherwise...I suggest doing it AFTER you cna warp so that you can get out easier also. There are lots of upgrde chunks on the way down and up though so not totally a waste to go there early.....your choice.....
bring curse resist armourt though.

4 kings has a certain trick to it....you are timed for this one as the kings come on a time schedule....so what does that mean you best do?
Increase stamina recovery, wear wolf ring to tank hits and still keep your swings going, wear good armour vs. physical (magic is aldo good but if you are in close like you need to be to hit lots of times consecutively you won't need it.) Very easy boss with this strategy at any SL that allows you to still wear good armour. Obviously you cna have a good fast DPS weapons right after the start of the game so that should not be a problem. LIghtning spear +4 is more than enough, any maxed dex weapon (with high dex in the stats) will toast these guys fast.

I don't see why not. There should be an infinite amount. Sometimes the odds just suck. I spent around 3 hours grinding for a weapon yesterday and never got it.
FOr BSS and any drop use coventous gold serpent ring and 10 humanity in teh ticker for 410 item discovery (maxed.) If you are less than 410 and you don't have enough humanity or the ring, and you for some strange reason do ahave the rare mimic head thing to wear on your heafdd, equip that ..nio idea how much it helps and as it does not register in teh item discovery stats, or at least it did not on the consoles, and you will be amazed at hom much less you have to grind......still never got a slab from the darkwraiths though :(

Grief.exe

I wish I could play the game more, I get too scared. :(

Enemy aggro scares me. Is there no leash range for them? If they spot me, they'll chase me endlessly? It really makes me tense because MAYBE I passed by an enemy without noticing then they'll jump at my back some time later.

edit: That pic by Spanish Wrath does NOT help. :(

When I play really scary games what helps me is actually taking off my headphones. Having headphones on makes the game too real with the audio positioning, a monster jumping out behind you actually sounds like its right behind you.

I usually leave them on the headphone stand but you can plug in speakers.

I feel like this removes you from the reality of the game, making like you are just playing a game rather than actually there.

This game doesn't personally scare me, though some parts are really creepy, new londo ruins comes mind. But I've used this to get through doom 3, dead spaces, and the lab areas of stalker: soc.

Can you get two Balder Side Swords on one playthrough?

Because I've been grinding for a while...

I've gotten like 4 or so. Love that weapon.

What helps is getting the snake ring from Sen's. Boosts your base item find to 300.

Ridley327

I don't know what I expected after clearing the boss of Sen's Fortress, but it was definitely not that. :O

Spoilers:
Once again, first thing I did after reaching a new area was... use a Homeward Bone to get to the nearest bonfire to spend my souls.

Question: I noticed that there was a super bulked-out black knight on the way up, but he seems to have disappeared? Did he find a way to kill himself, or does he disappear when the boss is cleared?

Dizzy-4U

I think I finished Blighttown. I know it got popularity because of the framerate but man, it's probably the shittiest level of the game (so far for me). I hated those flying mosquitoes so much, annoying as hell.

Serra

Question: I noticed that there was a super bulked-out black knight on the way up, but he seems to have disappeared? Did he find a way to kill himself, or does he disappear when the boss is cleared?

I think you mean the Tower Knight in Sen's Fortress. They don't respawn, so if you killed him, you never see him again. (well, in NG+ he is back) You sure you didn't just kill him once?

Ridley327

I'm surprised people had so many problems with the mosquitos. I picked up right away that there's no reason to go after them at all, and ran past them.

Of course, I did have the Rusted Ring, which made running past them quite simple, so maybe it's different if you don't have it.

I think you mean the Tower Knight in Sen's Fortress. They don't respawn, so if you killed him, you never see him again. (well, in NG+ he is back)

I guess he found a way to kill himself, then! No drops from him, but whatever.

My theory? There's that one staircase by him that he wouldn't be able to reach, but it does trigger him, so it's possible that I was going slow enough from him to try and follow me and fell off one of the skinny ledges.

2AdEPT

I think I finished Blighttown. I know it got popularity because of the framerate but man, it's probably the shittiest level of the game (so far for me). I hated those flying mosquitoes so much, annoying as hell.

The Scout's motto is better than the P2D slogan:

BE PREPARED

BLighttown like any other area or level can be breezed through with a good startegy or equipment...try going backwards up the structure from the back door with
slumbering dragon crest ring on
.....the enemies don't even aggro so the mosquitoes never catch up as you are through the level too fast for them to do so!

other easy botton items:
gold hemmed set for poison
rusted ring for fast roll in water
purple moss for poison
blooming moss for toxic
spider shield for toxic

possible to do it without these items but why suffer?

Top Bottom