• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Anth0ny

On my way to the final boss... feels like heading to Ganon's Tower in Ocarina of Time, except current gen.

DAT FEEL

Also... I thought Bed of Chaos was pretty easy. 4 Kings is easy you just need to be aggressive as FUCK and kill each one before another spawns. Nothing has topped Capra Demon in difficulty imo. That's probably because I've just got better at the game in general as the hours pile up.

Man, you guys get to high levels for NG :p

Every time I increase a stat I almost feel bad.

You feel bad for getting stronger?

whatisthisidonteven.

On my way to the final boss... feels like heading to Ganon's Tower in Ocarina of Time, except current gen.

DAT FEEL

Oh man, I had that exact same feeling when I got there last week. When those doors opened and I stepped through and saw how AWESOME that area looked, my fists were clenched.

so was my ass

Good lord guys! I was hearing how amazing this game was since Demon's Souls, but it even managed to destroy my expectations...
It takes a while to click, but when it does, oh.my.god!

My only regret was not playing this before. As soon as I finish this I WILL buy or borrow a PS3 just to play Demon's.

My backlog is insane ( Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs even God Hand, which is beyond amazing too) but all that will have to wait.

GOTY.

Isn't it the best?! And you won't regret going back to Demon's either, its awesome in a whole other way.

I'd never had much of a backlog before Dark Souls came out last year. Now its a pile of games stacked up like a tower that could collapse at any moment.

Raxus

Go the the
Undead Asylum by climbing up to the top of the Firelink Shrine and sitting in the bird's nest, then kill the Stray Demon boss there. He sucks and drops a guaranteed Slab.

You also get slabs
in the DLC which has one slab of every color I believe, from Snuggly (red), from New Lando Darkwraiths (rare drop), and from a quest chain involving catarina (the big knight duo).

Zeliard

Mostly dumb. I lost 10 humanity on two separate occasions today :< Embarrassingly, both were from falling off high places before getting back to my bloodstain. Even more embarrassingly, one of those falls was at the wheel at Blighttown, after the stupid fat trolls (embarrassingly) killed me when I tried and failed to run past them on my way back to Firelink. Don't ask me.

On the plus side, farming went well!

Zeliard

I'm pretty sure there was nothing brave about that time I lost 50k souls because I forgot to call the elevator and fell down the shaft into Londo Ruins.

lol this happened to me earlier :(

:(

:(

I already beat the game on PS3 when it came out so I really have no excuse. I've forgotten half of this stuff.

aFIGurANT

Artorias stuff:
How do you get his armor? The wiki is pretty vague on a lot of the AotA content still but it appears his soul doesn't matter. I hope not since that chick got me to give it to her for a couple of useless daggers. Also, WHY is he like the first boss in the new content?? I wasn't expecting it and that part was cool, but he actually took me way less effort to beat than the stupid manticore. Very cool presentation but it was kind of strange how the title character just appears and then is gone just like that.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Artorias stuff:
How do you get his armor? The wiki is pretty vague on a lot of the AotA content still but it appears his soul doesn't matter. I hope not since that chick got me to give it to her for a couple of useless daggers. Also, WHY is he like the first boss in the new content?? I wasn't expecting it and that part was cool, but he actually took me way less effort to beat than the stupid manticore. Very cool presentation but it was kind of strange how the title character just appears and then is gone just like that.

the guy under the aqueduct by firelink sells all boss armor each piece costs 20k souls

I don't like it.

The controls suck. The animations prevent you from blocking when you accidentally drink a flask because every other melee game on Earth uses the x button for melee. I get that dying a lot is supposed to be the charm, but I've just spent an hour on the tutorial and I can't block / perry for shit and I drink all of my flasks when I don't need them, then I need them after the animation that can't be cancelled almost kills me. Ugh. I'll try again sometime when I have more scotch, but as of now this goes way down my backlog list.

Do you ever get used to the controls? I haven't tried, but can I remap the controls?

The controls don't suck at all, you do. Practice makes perfect.

Artorias stuff:

you buy it from Domhnall of Zena (the merchant you first meet at the official entrance to Blighttown, later found in Firelink Shrine on the lower end of the aqueduct connecting to Undead Burg) after you defeat Artorias

edit: horribly beaten.

Emitan

I don't like it.

The controls suck. The animations prevent you from blocking when you accidentally drink a flask because every other melee game on Earth uses the x button for melee. I get that dying a lot is supposed to be the charm, but I've just spent an hour on the tutorial and I can't block / perry for shit and I drink all of my flasks when I don't need them, then I need them after the animation that can't be cancelled almost kills me. Ugh. I'll try again sometime when I have more scotch, but as of now this goes way down my backlog list.

Do you ever get used to the controls? I haven't tried, but can I remap the controls?
The controls are bad because you keep hitting the item button to attack?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
also if you would of took artorias soul to the blacksmith he could of made you a pretty cool sword that gives you a jump spin attack same one that artorias had its pretty boss

Hypron

also if you would of took artorias soul to the blacksmith he could of made you a pretty cool sword that gives you a jump spin attack same one that artorias had its pretty boss

For real? Man I need that sword, I absolutely loved the way Artorias moved around.

You also get slabs
in the DLC which has one slab of every color I believe, from Snuggly (red), from New Lando Darkwraiths (rare drop), and from a quest chain involving catarina (the big knight duo).

I also found a White Titanite Slab in
an alternative path on the last room before the Manus fight. To find it easier, got to the fog gate, turn back, as if heading back up, and you'll see two ghost things blocking a body. That is the slab!

Blue slabs, on the other hand, even with High humanity count and the Gold ring, those butterflys suck at drops.

EDIT: I heard there is an armor set for
Hawkeye...
I am afraid to ask, but how does one get it, or is it something that is a false rumor. I got the other armor sets, and his bow, but I am hoping I don't have to do what I am thinking you have to do...=/

KSai

Easiest fight in the game.. like the other guys saying 4 Kings is the easiest fight in the game.

What fight did you find difficult??
Gwyn. No poise, no Solaire, and no idea how to parry makes him hard. 4 Kings are my favorite.

Everyone having trouble with Bed of Chaos should really invest in any wieldable shield +5. Save yourself the frustration, and just walk and block.

aFIGurANT

For real? Man I need that sword, I absolutely loved the way Artorias moved around.

I think the stat requirements on that are at least 15 for everything besides Resistance/Luck. STR is at 18, so is dex I think. Seems like a cool novelty to run around the forest with that moveset though, I agree.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I also found a White Titanite Slab in
an alternative path on the last room before the Manus fight. To find it easier, got to the fog gate, turn back, as if heading back up, and you'll see two ghost things blocking a body. That is the slab!

Blue slabs, on the other hand, even with High humanity count and the Gold ring, those butterflys suck at drops.

EDIT: I heard there is an armor set for
Hawkeye...
I am afraid to ask, but how does one get it, or is it something that is a false rumor. I got the other armor sets, and his bow, but I am hoping I don't have to do what I am thinking you have to do...=/

You have to do what you think you have to do.

ixix

Ok, but I won't like it.

Yeah, getting
Gough and Ciaran's armor is pretty depressing. Really wish there were alternate ways of getting 'em.

Not Chester's, though. Jerk had it coming for invading me.

Grief.exe

Look what I just got from my boy Kaathe. Tons of duels in Demon Ruins tonight, I have had about 2 failed invasions total.

i4xC0AeoBKQE2.png

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541810681061599062/BA9A1C33556094B16E8D8925C277A7C0728635F2/
god dammit this boss fight was difficult.

i finally beat it the time after this nightmare of a screenshot.

What SL are you?

Gonna ask one more time before I give it up and wait until NG+, if anyone is around SL66 and doesn't need their
Gold Tracer
, I'd like it please. Live tag is AlphaDragoon02.

I forgot how much of a pain in the neck it was to go straight into the Catacombs as soon as the game starts. Had to go grab my good old Great Scythe for my alt.

Humanity questions, do you need to be human to take advantage of humanity item drop buff or does it still apply when hollow?

Also the first mob of the DLC really took me by surprise, I've beasted most bosses quite easily but he's kicking my ass good and proper. Better get my Black Knight Sword out and finally +5 it I guess.

Ledsen

I don't like it.

If you patience doesn't even stretch as far as learning not to use the X button to attack you're better off playing something else.

Grief.exe

So what should I do with this extra humanity? I would rather give it to another covenant, but if I leave the wraiths, I can't use the red eye orb.

Ridley327

Whoever put down the message of Amazing Chest Ahead before opening the doors to meet
Gwynevere and receive the Lordvessel
, you are officially the best person.

Also, I have no idea how you guys would be able to do
Ornstein and Smough
without a phantom. I mean, FUCK, that was hard.

Zimbardo

What am I doing wrong. I can't summon worth shit. Is my firewall messing with the game?

i'm experiencing the same crap. there's gotta be something wrong with the summoning. out of 20 tries, i'll be extremely lucky to get a successful summon maybe once. i'm recently hardly ever seeing any summon signs to boot ...so its extra difficult to summon.

i'm soul level 102 at the moment ...but this has been going on since i was around soul level 92 tonight. i'm on my second play through, btw.

i was getting successfully invaded pretty much constantly in the Forest ...but hardly ever seeing any signs on the ground, and when i do its basically a sure bet that its gonna fail.

extremely annoying. the ps3 version has its moments where i shake my head too (with regards to summoning) ...but its not nearly this bad. not even close.

i have an 'open' nat in Games for Windows Live too ...so i dunno. seems pretty screwed up.

linko9

Aight just started this up today... put in 3 hours or so. After putting in 170 hours on the PS3 version less than a year ago, I wasn't sure if I'd be up for it, but man was I wrong. I'm hooked again. Game looks much sharper (thanks Durante), sounds better (since I'm using headphones), and because I don't have to learn how to play the game, it's fun in a completely different way! First thing I did was make a rush to get Astora's sword, and then went through the undead burg, Killed Havel (with the help of a kind white phantom), went through Darkroot basin, killed the Titanite Demon with arrows, talked to Onionknight, and then took the Chapel elevator back to Firelink after icing that Huge dude with the mace. It just feels so fun to be doing things in a completely different order than I did the first time.

I put in all my PS3 hours on the pre-patched game (before the dragon-head glitch, etc. got fixed), so I'm not sure if some of the changes I'm witnessing are from that patch, or are new to the PC version, but I'm REALLY liking some of the changes. Some more robust inventories for vendors is nice. But the really awesome thing is how certain enemies automatically give you their drops as soon as you kill them, especially crystal lizards. Awesome. I can definitely see myself putting in another 100 hours at least into this version. I'm more convinced than ever that this is my favorite game of this generation.

Oh my God, these two cheeky fucker phantoms, one blue one red, have teamed up to make my life a fucking misery haha.

Also fuck
Seath
, I can barely get a hit in without being obliterated.

ixix

What am I doing wrong. I can't summon worth shit. Is my firewall messing with the game?

i'm experiencing the same crap. there's gotta be something wrong with the summoning. out of 20 tries, i'll be extremely lucky to get a successful summon maybe once. i'm recently hardly ever seeing any summon signs to boot ...so its extra difficult to summon.

i'm soul level 102 at the moment ...but this has been going on since i was around soul level 92 tonight. i'm on my second play through, btw.

i was getting successfully invaded pretty much constantly in the Forest ...but hardly ever seeing any signs on the ground, and when i do its basically a sure bet that its gonna fail.

extremely annoying. the ps3 version has its moments where i shake my head too (with regards to summoning) ...but its not nearly this bad. not even close.

i have an 'open' nat in Games for Windows Live too ...so i dunno. seems pretty screwed up.

I've got open NAT and UPnP in use and I still have troubles. I've got about a 50/50 shot at summoning most people I find, which is terrible compared to my track record on the PS3 but isn't anywhere near the trouble some people have reported. I also usually get picked up for co-op relatively quickly, albeit a bit slower sometimes than I'm used to.

I actually seem to have more trouble with failed invaders than anything else. I spend a lot of time in human form and only two invaders have shown up in my game, and one of them lagged out or something and the connection dropped after he had appeared but before we met each other. Yet strangely the people who summon me for co-op seem to get invaders all the time, to the point where virtually every bit of PvP I've had in the PC version has happened while I was a phantom in someone else's game.

I can tell people are trying to invade me because sometimes I'll be wandering around and my White Soapstone and such get disabled, but after a minute or so it just sort of gives up and everything gets re-enabled.

Aight just started this up today... put in 3 hours or so. After putting in 170 hours on the PS3 version less than a year ago, I wasn't sure if I'd be up for it, but man was I wrong. I'm hooked again. Game looks much sharper (thanks Durante), sounds better (since I'm using headphones), and because I don't have to learn how to play the game, it's fun in a completely different way! First thing I did was make a rush to get Astora's sword, and then went through the undead burg, Killed Havel (with the help of a kind white phantom), went through Darkroot basin, killed the Titanite Demon with arrows, talked to Onionknight, and then took the Chapel elevator back to Firelink after icing that Huge dude with the mace. It just feels so fun to be doing things in a completely different order than I did the first time.

I put in all my PS3 hours on the pre-patched game (before the dragon-head glitch, etc. got fixed), so I'm not sure if some of the changes I'm witnessing are from that patch, or are new to the PC version, but I'm REALLY liking some of the changes. Some more robust inventories for vendors is nice. But the really awesome thing is how certain enemies automatically give you their drops as soon as you kill them, especially crystal lizards. Awesome. I can definitely see myself putting in another 100 hours at least into this version. I'm more convinced than ever that this is my favorite game of this generation.

The expanded inventories and the auto-looting of easily lost items came in the 1.05 patch on the consoles. Most of the new stuff in the PC version is comparatively subtle balance adjustments and bugfixes.

Well, other than all the new stuff, of course.

Raxus

Oh my God, these two cheeky fucker phantoms, one blue one red, have teamed up to make my life a fucking misery haha.

Also fuck
Seath
, I can barely get a hit in without being obliterated.

Hug a tentacle and keep running. He will never hit you. The tail is slightly trickier but it falls right off.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Sounds about normal to me. You have to think about how summoning/invading works.

- An invader can invade 10% below his SL up to anything above his SL. So at 102 you could be invaded by a SL10, SL50, SL120-ish, or any level in between.

- Based on the summoning formula, at 102 you can only summon people between SL77 and SL127.

- Even if someone lays down a summoning sign, you're not the only person who will see it. If that person's summoning sign shows up to 10 people, after the 1st person starts summoning, it disappears/fails for the other 9.

The biggest problem here though is your high level, especially this early in the game's release. The average SL when beating the game for the first time is 60-80, with a lot of people like me who stay low SL the entire game to improve pvp functionality (did whole game at 30). I've been reading about people who are like SL100+ and see nearly no summoning signs, which makes sense.

So at 102, in the forest, you can't expect many people SL77+ to be laying their summoning signs down. And if there is, someone else may pick it up before you. But you can expect plenty of invaders because they can be any level from SL1 and up.

JVIDICAN

Oh! would anyone be willing to drop me the abyss walker ring sometime tomorrow?
Its renewable and will pop right back up in a chest(?) where you killed Siff. I wanna keep as many pvp options open as possible. lol

Top Bottom