• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

psy18

Whoever put down the message of Amazing Chest Ahead before opening the doors to meet
Gwynevere and receive the Lordvessel
, you are officially the best person.

Also, I have no idea how you guys would be able to do
Ornstein and Smough
without a phantom. I mean, FUCK, that was hard.

Soloing them is possible but will take a while.
The pillars are your friend. Circle around the room and utilize the pillars so that only one of them have a direct attack path to you.

NBtoaster

I can tell people are trying to invade me because sometimes I'll be wandering around and my White Soapstone and such get disabled, but after a minute or so it just sort of gives up and everything gets re-enabled.

This happened to me just about every time I walked into DLC area between the
dragon and Artorias
. Annoying when I'm waiting for a summon or to be summoned.

If it gets fixed that will probably be a popular area for pvp, there's always a lot of people waiting to be summoned and a lot of people stuck, and it's late game.

Shinjica

Oh! would anyone be willing to drop me the abyss walker ring sometime tomorrow?
Its renewable and will pop right back up in a chest(?) where you killed Siff. I wanna keep as many pvp options open as possible. lol

You dont find that ring in a chest. You get it when you kill
Sif
and you dont consume it when you go in
the abyss

I don't have a good PC to play this, so I am waiting for the PS3 DLC.

Had somebody finished the added content? How good is it?

One boss to go and I'd say it's good. Areas themselves didn't give me that much of a challenge to be honest but bosses are fun and tough fights with no extra bullshit.

Finalow

some questions about the new content
where is the key of the locked door in the arena and what's in there? Also how do you summon Sif for the last fight, you have to be human and you have to don't kill him in the present?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
some questions about the new content
where is the key of the locked door in the arena and what's in there? Also how do you summon Sif for the last fight, you have to be human and you have to don't kill him in the present?
Hawkeye Gough is up there and you find the key in the next area of the DLC. For Sif you need to save him in the last stage of the DLC (follow Alvina), which lets you summon him for the boss. Also, if you can, do all the DLC stuff with Sif BEFORE going back to the present and fighting him and you'll get a new cutscene

ArynCrinn

Banned
Beat Ornstein & Smough on NG+, using nothing but the
Obsidian Greatsword
, buffed with Sunlight Blade and Charcoal Pine Resisn! Feels good to totally crush their life bars using no shields and pure melee.

One boss to go and I'd say it's good. Areas themselves didn't give me that much of a challenge to be honest but bosses are fun and tough fights with no extra bullshit.

Thanks. I kinda hoped there would be some cools areas such as Sen's and Anor Londo. Anyway, can't wait to play this!

Finalow

Hawkeye Gough is up there and you find the key in the next area of the DLC. For Sif you need to save him in the last stage of the DLC (follow Alvina), which lets you summon him for the boss. Also, if you can, do all the DLC stuff with Sif BEFORE going back to the present and fighting him and you'll get a new cutscene
I'm at Manus already but I didn't find the key and I didn't save Sif, follow Alvina? What's that. think I missed something here.

Leezard

ok, thanks. it's kinda bullshit that you can't do that in co-op tho. :/

Yeah, you could rush the area if you know where you should head, but that's easier in the second playthrough and on. You can make it to the event on a single use of that curse item if you know exactly where to go.

Sullichin

I'm at Manus already but I didn't find the key and I didn't save Sif, follow Alvina? What's that. think I missed something here.

When you first enter the chasm of the abyss, if you turn to the left you will fall through an illusory floor. Alvina (the cat from the forest) will appear and sort of guide you to the area where Sif is. The key is in the Ooacile township, in a mimic chest. It's upstairs in a big room that you can get to if you go to the left right after getting off the elevator shortcut from the township bonfire. You'll have to go up the stairs in that room and roll off a platform to get to where it is.

Speaking of new content, I just found
a titanite slab in a chest in the Kalameet area. Another guaranteed slab per playthrough is a good thing. This boss is fucking hard. I still haven't beaten him.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The key is in that large building with all the bloated head guys and witch enemies. When you go into the chasm, there's a part where you fall through the floor and see Alvina the cat, who basically leads you to another illusionary wall in Cheshire cat fashion. If you break down that wall you can go save baby Sif and get Artorias' shield. This allows you to summon him for Manus and get the new cutscene in the present

mxgt

Banned
a titanite slab in a chest in the Kalameet area. Another guaranteed slab per playthrough is a good thing. This boss is fucking hard. I still haven't beaten him.

Oh shit I completely missed that. Awesome.

Finalow

When you first enter the chasm of the abyss, if you turn to the left you will fall through an illusory floor. Alvina (the cat from the forest) will appear and sort of guide you to the area where Sif is. The key is in the Ooacile township, in a mimic chest. It's upstairs in a big room that you can get to if you go to the left right after getting off the elevator shortcut from the township bonfire. You'll have to go up the stairs in that room and roll off a platform to get to where it is.

The key is in that large building with all the bloated head guys and witch enemies. When you go into the chasm, there's a part where you fall through the floor and see Alvina the cat, who basically leads you to another illusionary wall in Cheshire cat fashion. If you break down that wall you can go save baby Sif and get Artorias' shield. This allows you to summon him for Manus and get the new cutscene in the present
thanks but
what if I kill Sif in the present? I wanted to finish with the 4 kings so I need the ring. :w

Sullichin

thanks but
what if I kill Sif in the present? I wanted to finish with the 4 kings so I need the ring. :w

You can still
summon sif. I just did it, and I didn't know about this special cutscene that plays if you leave him alive in the present, cause I wanted to join the darkwraiths. Manus killed me tho.

also about new content :
Should I start a complete new char to enjoy it fully? As for now, I intend to play the DLC with a current char in NG++.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
bro, my heart strings.
ipFMhZH9rUEy0.gif

I just went down to the Catacombs for the first time, having a blast with my Divine Club. It's actually a really cool area with a lot of atmosphere, those floating heads were surprising to say the least!.

Upgraded some random Scythe to Fire Scythe by accident; my character doesn't seem to be able to wield it with any kind of finesse, is it possible to raise poise aside from the ring? Doesn't seem to help.

Another question about upgrading with boss souls
where do you go to create Quelaag's Furysword?

Ridley327

Finally beat Smough & Ornstein.

Goddamn.

Seriously. As hard as that battle was, I can appreciate that it was a true challenge. I was starting to get a little annoyed at how much of a pushover that the last string of bosses had been (starting with the Gaping Dragon onward), and then those guys show up and they make you work for every single ounce of that victory. I don't even care that they took 15 humanity and a phantom away from me; above all else, they commanded my respect.

Question about some bosses in the DLC:

I'm up to Manus and like Artorias before him my weapons do fuck all damage! I've been using two Balder Side Swords (+5 fire and +5 lightning) for all other parts of the game with no trouble. Are the bosses in the DLC strong against elemental stuff? Should I just upgrade a plain weapon and use that?

anybody else sitting at work wishing they were at home playing Dark Souls?

Yes, but work time is research time! It's amazing, after completing it back in December and never doing a NG+ I didn't think I'd be as hooked this time round, but the obsession seems worse!

Jerk/snap the stick up while clicking R1/right bumper(?).

Sometimes I press square by accident too and drink a flask. Just keep at it and your mind will get used what is right and wrong. Play the game long enough and you will master the controls and the *shudders* move queuing. It has a pretty low barrier of entry compared to other games out there (AKA fighting games).

I'll give it another go tonight. Coming off of Darksiders 2 makes the control scheme extra difficult to get used to.

Maaseru

Banned
I know it is a question most wont like, but is there a console to this game? I mean I've played DS to death on PS3, and have been at it for a while with the PC version. My favorite game of last year. So like I did with Skyrim I would love to mess around with everything in the game, break it etc etc. Is this game like most that have console commands or any way I can cheat?

I'm playing offline, I don't mind it at all. Even if this is not available, will modding be? I'm curious to know these things.

goodfella

I'm trying to do a pure str build, would it be a good idea to mix a little faith in there as well for healing?

If so, what stats do I need for the basic healing spell? This is what I did in demons souls, but I'm not so sure how faith works in Dark.

I need some advice, I finally decided to focus on the claymore and I have finally made it more powerful than the Drake sword, though not by much.

So im at +5 or +6 I think, and now its giving me the option of upgrading to RAW or keep going with upgrades?

What do you guys recommend? this is my first time playing the game and I have no idea.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I need some advice, I finally decided to focus on the claymore and I have finally made it more powerful than the Drake sword, though not by much.

So im at +5 or +6 I think, and now its giving me the option of upgrading to RAW or keep going with upgrades?

What do you guys recommend? this is my first time playing the game and I have no idea.

Don't upgrade to raw. At least not on your first play threw.

Either go normal +15, lighting +5, or fire +10

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/smaller-guide.jpg/270782500/800x696/smaller-guide.jpg

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I'm trying to do a pure str build, would it be a good idea to mix a little faith in there as well for healing?

If so, what stats do I need for the basic healing spell? This is what I did in demons souls, but I'm not so sure how faith works in Dark.

faith is pretty bad ass in DrKS
In fact my faith build run was my favorite play threw and character to date.

Top Bottom