• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Defuser

Finally beat Artorias but through tanking with havel armor set and 2 handed BK halberd. Doesn't really feel right with me but hey at least I kill him.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm SL 53 in the new stuff and trying to
cut off Kalameet's tail
. But I think I'm too low-leveled for people around my range to help with that boss so I'm pulling a bit of a dick move. I'm summoning people waiting to co-op for
Artorias
then leading them off to where I need them.

It's not going well. It's not going well at all.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Exactly! I'm having so much fun just figuring shit out on my own that I'm convinced the game wouldn't be near as enjoyable if I used a wiki or relied on help from outside sources. Just wing it and kick ass.

tumblr_lqusfh9rBo1qc8l0f.gif

Weenerz

Banned
Posting for my lover GATS,

J5IR4.jpg

What is this and how do I fix?

Code:
# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1680
renderHeight 1050

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080 (for high end systems)
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160 (if you have an utterly insane ultra high end PC)
dofOverrideResolution 540

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change 
# 1 = enable supersampling by downscaling
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance, for high end systems only)
# if in doubt, leave this at 1
filteringOverride 0

# borderless fullscreen mode 
# make sure to select windowed mode in the game settings for this to work!
# 0 = disable
# 1 = enable
# toggle this with F8
borderlessFullscreen 1

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
# you can still toggle the cursor with F9
disableCursor 1

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
# toggle this with F10
captureCursor 0

# override the in-game language
# none = no override
# en-GB = English
# de-AT = German
# all other language codes supported by the game should also work, untested
overrideLanguage none

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
d3dAdapterOverride -1

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging
# only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

###############################################################

Zzoram

Posting for my lover GATS,

J5IR4.jpg

Code:
# internal rendering resolution of the game
renderWidth 1680
renderHeight 1050

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080 (for high end systems)
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160 (if you have an utterly insane ultra high end PC)
dofOverrideResolution 540

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change 
# 1 = enable supersampling by downscaling
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance, for high end systems only)
# if in doubt, leave this at 1
filteringOverride 0

# borderless fullscreen mode 
# make sure to select windowed mode in the game settings for this to work!
# 0 = disable
# 1 = enable
# toggle this with F8
borderlessFullscreen 1

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
# you can still toggle the cursor with F9
disableCursor 1

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
# toggle this with F10
captureCursor 0

# override the in-game language
# none = no override
# en-GB = English
# de-AT = German
# all other language codes supported by the game should also work, untested
overrideLanguage none

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
d3dAdapterOverride -1

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging
# only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

###############################################################

You didn't read the README.txt

Turn off in-game AA.

Im like a level 22 pyro and I just broke a controller on the big black headless dude under the blacksmith.... Where is a good place to grind and or some good armor to get. Or just tips in general....

Zzoram

Im like a level 22 pyro and I just broke a controller on the big black headless dude under the blacksmith.... Where is a good place to grind and or some good armor to get. Or just tips in general....

What headless dude? There isn't a headless dude IIRC. Do you mean the demon with the staff and tail? It's easy, stay close and behind him.

KarmaCow

Just started out and I accidentally hit the merchant in Undead Burg. Now he attacks me whenever I get close. Is there any way to make him not hostile?

Someone should change the title of the two Dark Souls topics. Seriously.

Just started out and I accidentally hit the merchant in Undead Burg. Now he attacks me whenever I get close. Is there any way to make him not hostile?
You'll find an NPC that absolves your sins for a price, but it's a bit of time from Undead Burg. Like... two boss fights away.

Grief.exe

Just to make sure that I have Dark Souls backed up correctly with GameSave Manager.

Here is my directory:

%Documents%\NBGI\DarkSouls\Kiss The Blade

Any registry entries for me to put into it?

After you defeat the boss in that area you go back down the ladder and you can absolve your sins toward NPCs, just run away from the merchant for now.

Razek

Banned
This game is really reeeeallllyyy good, but it kind of drags on and on. Even though I'm loving my Zeinhander build, I got burnt out again before finishing the game. Oh well, I had a blast for my 40 hours or so. I'll come back to it fresh some other day.

Zzoram

This game is really reeeeallllyyy good, but it kind of drags on and on. Even though I'm loving my Zeinhander build, I got burnt out again before finishing the game. Oh well, I had a blast for my 40 hours or so. I'll come back to it fresh some other day.

You could always try another weapon for variety. Or magic/pyro, aka ezmode.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
fine i'll go back to my collector's edition official strategy guide

!!! sonofabitch....

All this DS talk made me go back to my NG+. Rusty as hell, getting owned in
Tomb Of Giants
. Well, actually made it all the way down but forgot you don't have access till much later. Now on my way back up. Bah.

Razek

Banned
You could always try another weapon for variety. Or magic/pyro, aka ezmode.

I'll definitely give another build a try next time. Probably a dagger assassin build so I can be super fast. I was loving the dark wood grain ring on my current build but this will free up a ring slot so I don't have to use harvels. I'm going to avoid magics though, you're definitely right on that remark about it making the game easy. I might run some of the heal ones if anything.

Edit: Building, planning, and making characters is the best part of the souls series for me. I had every build imaginable on Demon Souls, and I hardly ever finished a run through on that one either.

I'm trying to summon someone for the first time. You guys weren't kidding. Summon Failed, Summon Failed, Summon Failed. There's like 10 summon signs on the ground at any give moment but it just won't work.

Has Namco or From acknowledged that this port exists since it has been released?

I don't like it.

The controls suck. The animations prevent you from blocking when you accidentally drink a flask because every other melee game on Earth uses the x button for melee. I get that dying a lot is supposed to be the charm, but I've just spent an hour on the tutorial and I can't block / perry for shit and I drink all of my flasks when I don't need them, then I need them after the animation that can't be cancelled almost kills me. Ugh. I'll try again sometime when I have more scotch, but as of now this goes way down my backlog list.

Do you ever get used to the controls? I haven't tried, but can I remap the controls?

It all makes sense once you get used to it.

Though I'm still not fond of the analog stick tilt + should button maneuver. I don't always kick an enemy when I need it.

KarmaCow

You'll find an NPC that absolves your sins for a price, but it's a bit of time from Undead Burg. Like... two boss fights away.

After you defeat the boss in that area you go back down the ladder and you can absolve your sins toward NPCs, just run away from the merchant for now.

Alright thanks, I'm still getting used to the game and was worried I screwed myself over some how.

Some of the notes are really mean. I found one that told me to fall to get an item and I ended up falling into a Black Knight. I thought running to the bonfire would leash him, but no. Thankfully he reset after I died.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like it.

The controls suck. The animations prevent you from blocking when you accidentally drink a flask because every other melee game on Earth uses the x button for melee. I get that dying a lot is supposed to be the charm, but I've just spent an hour on the tutorial and I can't block / perry for shit and I drink all of my flasks when I don't need them, then I need them after the animation that can't be cancelled almost kills me. Ugh. I'll try again sometime when I have more scotch, but as of now this goes way down my backlog list.

Do you ever get used to the controls? I haven't tried, but can I remap the controls?
Didn't know people were this inflexible to a control scheme, but it might help to think in terms of Left Hand weapons and Right Hand weapons.

L1/L2 does left hand main action and secondary action, R1/R2 does right hand main action and secondary action. Don't even think about the face buttons other than the roll button

Grief.exe

I don't like it.

you seem like you are just really bad at video games in general lol ;)

Razek

Banned
I came to the message about kicking and couldn't for the life of me make the guy do it.

Jerk/snap the stick up while clicking R1/right bumper(?).

Sometimes I press square by accident too and drink a flask. Just keep at it and your mind will get used what is right and wrong. Play the game long enough and you will master the controls and the *shudders* move queuing. It has a pretty low barrier of entry compared to other games out there (AKA fighting games).

The Hermit

Good lord guys! I was hearing how amazing this game was since Demon's Souls, but it even managed to destroy my expectations...
It takes a while to click, but when it does, oh.my.god!

My only regret was not playing this before. As soon as I finish this I WILL buy or borrow a PS3 just to play Demon's.

My backlog is insane ( Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs even God Hand, which is beyond amazing too) but all that will have to wait.

GOTY.

Grief.exe

Good lord guys! I was hearing how amazing this game was since Demon's Souls, but it even managed to destroy my expectations...
It takes a while to click, but when it does, oh.my.god!

My only regret was not playing this before. As soon as I finish this I WILL buy or borrow a PS3 just to play Demon's.

My backlog is insane ( Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs even God Hand, which is beyond amazing too) but all that will have to wait.

GOTY.

Agreed, I'm so glad they ported it to PC. It wasn't that great a job, but it runs great for me, and using a controller and Durante's fix negates the other issues with the port.

When did it click for you? It started for me right after the Gargoyle fight.

The Hermit

Agreed, I'm so glad they ported it to PC. It wasn't that great a job, but it runs great for me, and using a controller and Durante's fix negates the other issues with the port.

When did it click for you? It started for me right after the Gargoyle fight.

The exact part was when I killed that metal boar leading him to the fire. I felt so good and confident I start killing everything in one try, including the Gargoyles and that lighting demon before Blackroot Garden. I was killed by the Moonlight Buterfly, yet it was fun... and after dying 7 times, it was still fun! :D

O&S Defeated. I kind of feel bad because they were the only bosses I didn't solo on the PS3 version and this time around I didn't even try. I summoned someone right away but I really just wanted to move along. I preordered Guild Wars 2 and I haven't touched it yet. Too many games right now.

JVIDICAN

S&O were a huge pain lvl 25 and solo. Was intent on killing Ornstein last, but after about 30 failed attempts I said F' it and went with the easier method. lol.

Smash88

Banned
Whenever someone comes in from now on asking for help about the top left box issue. Either ignore or tell them maybe next time they'll read the readme.txt.

Quikies83

but you dont even have to fight him its all dodging easiest fight in the game

lol definitely not the easiest fight in the game. For instance, you don't take her down in one go. Impossible!!!
Knocking out her left and right side is no problem.. getting to her center area is pretty difficult.

Easiest fight in the game.. like the other guys saying 4 Kings is the easiest fight in the game.

What fight did you find difficult??

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
lol definitely not the easiest fight in the game. For instance, you don't take her down in one go. Impossible!!!
Knocking out her left and right side is no problem.. getting to her center area is pretty difficult.

Easiest fight in the game.. like the other guys saying 4 Kings is the easiest fight in the game.

What fight did you find difficult??

i was a sorcerer no fight was difficult

Top Bottom