• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Lombax

Banned
I feel really dumb. Officemate asked me what Dark Souls was like, and I said "like Diablo but creepy and hard".

why
why
why

I could've at least compared it to Skyrim which he also knows.

I always refer to it as "the best version of dungeons and dragons in video game form ever". My point being at any point in the game regardless of your level if you screw up an encounter you are dead.

Ah alright, I'll keep looking.

I was really jumpy because it was early on and there was a badly placed note about a trap nearby. :p

Not sure how else to say this, im sure that its completely spoil free...

The first character you see after ringing the first bell is not an enemy.

There, hopefully you dont consider that a spoiler....

Soulhouf

I already explained that in the rest of my post if you bothered reading, as well as the fact that those numbers are out of date anyways.

I'm sorry I wasn't 100% focused when I read your text -_-
This part confuses me though:
The exception is with backstabs, where damage is calculated purely on AR and elementals sometimes have the edge here.
You mean that the total damage goes only against the phys defense even if you have elemental input?
I ask this because I already made some tests and it didn't seem to be the case.
My assumption is only the phys attack part benefits from modifier when you backstab.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
God...

Few things sting as much as upon death realizing that you just lit that bonfire 2 hours further than the previous one and forgot to actually rest at it...

arit

I have seen that spikey armor before, from someone that invaded me when I was level 15 or so, where they cheating?

Also, is that a good armour set?

There is a spiked armor in the game (you have to defeat
NPC Phantom Kirk in Depths, Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, then it will be near the daughter of Chaos).

But those poor souls in the screenshot just got cursed and died.

Eusis

http://i.imgur.com/7peoZ.jpg

I wonder if they are all real players...
No, I think they're just generic petrified characters, you can see them in the sewers too.
I have seen that spikey armor before, from someone that invaded me when I was level 15 or so, where they cheating?

I think that's just the
Dark Sun Crown or whatever it is that Gwyndolin wears and you can buy from Domhnall.

Grief.exe

Anyone have a book of the guilty on them?

How many times do I have to be indicted to show up on there, I think I've been indicted about 6-7 times.

Sullichin

The armor he's wearing is Ornstein's body + Dark Sun crown. You can obtain any piece of armor at any level, doesn't mean that the invader was cheating.

New content -
Dark Bead is really strong. With 30 INT and the Bellowing Dragoncrest, the 6 casts were all I needed to take out Stray Demon up close, for example. But it seems REALLY good in PVP. People aren't good at avoiding it (i'm not either), it does decent chip damage if blocked, it's fast, and if it hits dead on it's really strong. I've been messing people up with it pretty good. I hear pursuers is also overpowered, but I haven't beaten Manus on this character yet.

robin2

Black Knights are meant to be leaven alone until you're properly built-up?
There is this one in a corridor just before the tower to the Taurus Demon, and it is way faster than my character.

Mupod

There is this one in a corridor just before the tower to the Taurus Demon, and it is way faster than my character.

It's tough early on, but doable. Especially if you get creative and use your environment.
The hollows tossing firebombs at you when you first left the undead burg bonfire? That was a hint.

Weenerz

Banned

arit

4-5 Fireballs should be enough, or simply circling and backstabbing 2-3 times, with luck, that particular one drops a Black Knight Sword, which is really powerful if you want to use a str build.

Grief.exe

Anyone have a book of the guilty on them?

How many times do I have to be indicted to show up on there, I think I've been indicted about 6-7 times.

Oh wow, in response to this I just got invaded by my first Forest Hunter! Was fun, though I had the advantage since I was in Lost Izalith and I can let them run over the lava to me.

TP

Soul Level 26 is too low for Anor Londo isn't it? I've been trying to get summoned for about half an hour.

Sullichin

Soul Level 26 is too low for Anor Londo isn't it? I've been trying to get summoned for about half an hour.

On the console version you'd fine plenty of people doing it at that level. I think online is just kinda busted now, co-op in particular.

Bogus

http://i.imgur.com/7peoZ.jpg

I wonder if they are all real players...

Players connected to you who got cursed.

No, I think they're just generic petrified characters, you can see them in the sewers too.

For whatever reason, it really unsettled me to learn that the petrified statues are actually the remains of nearby players who were recently cursed. If you hang around the basilisks in the Depths and
Great Hollow
long enough, you can actually watch the statues materialize into existence - especially in the more claustrophobic rooms, where basilisks hide around corners or trap players near ledges. Your character will also solidify into that craggy stone when dying from curse (it's visible in the death animation before the screen fades out, spikes will start forming on the character's body), and your statue will then appear for other players to see.

I get creeped out when, upon clearing a room of basilisks that's otherwise empty, I turn around and find the fresh statue of a cursed player, their limbs hardened and twisted into excruciating shapes, their visage frozen in a silent scream that will forever go unheard. The darkness has claimed another soul. I clasp my purging stone tightly to my breast and press onward, aching for a bonfire's light. It isn't safe here....

Mupod

Oh wow, in response to this I just got invaded by my first Forest Hunter! Was fun, though I had the advantage since I was in Lost Izalith and I can let them run over the lava to me.

It's the Darkmoons that invade you dirty sinners. Forest hunters hang out...in the forest, believe it or not

Finalow

ok, after the most annoying zone in the game
Lost Izalith
(especially 'cause I killed the spider lady so no shortcut) I can finally reach the last boss, probably I'll try to make some pvp there but I'm still only level 80, need at least 40 levels more.

EasyMode

ok, after the most annoying zone in the game
Lost Izalith
(especially 'cause I killed the spider lady so no shortcut) I can finally reach the last boss, probably I'll try to make some pvp there but I'm still only level 80, need at least 40 levels more.

Just to let you know, someone posted yesterday that a lot of people are stopping at level 100 for pvp. Something to do with the arena brackets.

web01

Traversing the DLC areas without knowing anything beforehand has reminded me how awesome Dark Souls is.

Yeah its pretty awesome, if there was only one game I could experience again without any prior knowledge it would be Dark Souls.

So ....

PC version doesnt display keyboard/mouse prompts, nor is the mouse aim remotely viable (from what i have heard). Then obviously the low internal res (Durante fixes it however woo !), am i also reading problems with the netcode ? Not seen anything about the game crashing, so is the PC version pretty stable ? I hear about the whole "Blight town" FPS issue, does this remain in the PC version ?

Basically, i have no idea what this game is like or about, but im interested, but i want to make sure the version i buy isnt some fucked up piece of shit. I hate the idea that the only viable way to play the PC version is by controller, because it sure as hell doesnt look like a game that "needs" it, and could work quite nicely if done properly. 30 FPS doesnt bother me (is there a legit technical reason why its there ?), low internal res is horrible but thankfully Durante got that shit sorted. Now i just wonder about other things like stability and connectivity, is the PC version good on that side of things ?

Is this worth buying on the PC ?

Does the amount of souls you need for the next level decrease when you start a NG+?

I have such a long way to go to get my strength up to 50 to use some weapons. Can't imagine how long it'll take. :(

Finalow

Just to let you know, someone posted yesterday that a lot of people are stopping at level 100 for pvp. Something to do with the arena brackets.
oh ok, fine. I didn't try the arena yet.
btw
for the black dragon how am I supposed to kill him if he's flying spamming those dark flames all the time, and killing me in like 2 hits of those flames.

FtHTiny

Does the amount of souls you need for the next level decrease when you start a NG+?

I have such a long way to go to get my strength up to 50 to use some weapons. Can't imagine how long it'll take. :(

you get more souls for everything in ng+ but the requirement for the levels gets higher too.

Sullichin

So ....

PC version doesnt display keyboard/mouse prompts, nor is the mouse aim remotely viable (from what i have heard). Then obviously the low internal res (Durante fixes it however woo !), am i also reading problems with the netcode ? Not seen anything about the game crashing, so is the PC version pretty stable ? I hear about the whole "Blight town" FPS issue, does this remain in the PC version ?

Basically, i have no idea what this game is like or about, but im interested, but i want to make sure the version i buy isnt some fucked up piece of shit. I hate the idea that the only viable way to play the PC version is by controller, because it sure as hell doesnt look like a game that "needs" it, and could work quite nicely if done properly. 30 FPS doesnt bother me (is there a legit technical reason why its there ?), low internal res is horrible but thankfully Durante got that shit sorted. Now i just wonder about other things like stability and connectivity, is the PC version good on that side of things ?

Is this worth buying on the PC ?

KB/M controls are terrible from what I tried. I don't like playing games like this with KB/M anyway and I'm used to the controller for this game, but they're bad.

I think the general consensus with the framerate is it's 30fps locked with minor dips. Much, much better than the console version in regard to the framerate and IQ. It looks great with Durante's mod. Some graphics cards, like mine, will stay in low power mode when the game is on unless I force AA in my catalyst settings, the game has been running fine since that.

I played the crap out of this already and it never crashed or froze once. Seems very stable. As for online, I'm having much more luck invading/getting invaded (PVP) than I am on the co-op side of things, which is pretty disappointing. Some people seem to be having better luck.

These issues aside, it's the best version of a great game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I could see KB/M working really well for this game if they actually put some effort into it, but as it is it's horrible.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just bought this. Demon's Souls is probably my favorite game ever, but for some reason I kinda hit a wall 20 or so hours into Dark Souls and never got back into it. I'm pretty excited to give it another shot on PC.

Cramoss

I played this game last year more than 100+ hours but I just noticed you can do this.

JiTju.jpg

lol

Raxus

New content is complete. Onwards to the end of the game. I am starting to love my Iaito +15. Can't wait to get the crystal magic buff,

Top Bottom