• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Deadstar

hmm I may have had enough of this game

stupid capra demon thing with the 2 undead dogs - I feel like my build just doesnt work period, I have a sorcerer with high strength and zweihander and other heavy weapons

great for other bosses, eg taking out he gargoyles was fun solo even though it took me 9 or 10 tries and I felt like I was learning

but this demon thing, I just dont have time to cast spells or even attack. blocking is no good because he gets through my block. I dont have access to the kind of spells that may help like the homing soulmass things. the area is tiny so thanks to the camera swinging around its so disorienting, I cant even see whats happening.

dozen times and I feel like I simply have no viable path than grind for 10 hours to build up effective new build thats faster

I'm SL 32 BTW

You have to kill the dogs as fast as humanly possible. When you first enter try running up the stairs and slash the dogs as fast as you can. If you get stuck in the entrance of this area slash away and try to kill one of the dogs. Run up the stairs for a breather then try to kill the other, healing when possible. Then use your spells and try to keep a distance on him. I have a similar build to you and I barely beat him.

Vaporak

hmm I may have had enough of this game

stupid capra demon thing with the 2 undead dogs - I feel like my build just doesnt work period, I have a sorcerer with high strength and zweihander and other heavy weapons

great for other bosses, eg taking out he gargoyles was fun solo even though it took me 9 or 10 tries and I felt like I was learning

but this demon thing, I just dont have time to cast spells or even attack. blocking is no good because he gets through my block. I dont have access to the kind of spells that may help like the homing soulmass things. the area is tiny so thanks to the camera swinging around its so disorienting, I cant even see whats happening.

dozen times and I feel like I simply have no viable path than grind for 10 hours to build up effective new build thats faster

I'm SL 32 BTW

You're build is fine for that fight, you should just try approaching the fight from a different angle.

edit: what's up with telling new people exactly how to best fight the bosses, totally ruins the thrill of figuring out how to beat them >.>

IoCaster

Shoot the dragon tail, you can't kill it from below but you can cut off it's tail. Every boss/miniboss enemy with a huge tail, cut it off.

You can pay an NPC to remove NPC aggro after you beat the Gargoyles at the church bell tower.

Yeah, I already did the tail thing, but I really just want to kill the dragon. I'm tired of the fucker camping that bridge.

I did beat the Gargoyles and I remember there was an NPC there after the fight. Is he the one you mean? Also, I didn't get a chance to talk to the NPC in the Depths. Does he sell stuff?

Grief.exe

I'm thinking of doing a int or faith based build for my next play through.

Want to get all of the sorceries and miracles in one play through. Is this possible?

What weapon should I go with? Was thinking of with uchigatana weapon for its low requirements. Any advice?

Bradach

I'm a DS first timer. I've chosen a pyro, should I be focusing on building up intelligence? Or does that just improve the sorcery magic?

mxgt

Banned
Is the large titanite shard droprate on the slimes in depths nerfed or am I unlucky?

Have covetous and 10 humanity and they aren't dropping shit

Alright, on NG++, only need the 5
dragon scales
in
Ash Lake
so my total is 30, then I give those to the covenant and the
dragon torso
reward is the last item I need to get my perfect save! Obtained at least one of each item in the game + all achievements.

Of course, it may not be a perfect save if someone finally finds another use to the
Guardian Soul
rather than consuming it, or if there's a secret drop anywhere in the DLC that was not yet discovered and listed in the wikis.

If here is anything, I just need to get that and everything's fine again :p

ugbh please tell me no more bosses put me in a tiny room, the game is infuriatingly broken in such tiny spaces

the camera just keeps spinning around disorientingly, I feel like the dozen deaths is entirely random and out of my control

all other fights I felt like I did something wrong, in this one its infuriating because I cant get my character to do what I want -
run up stairs, kill dogs, and evade attacks

Just finished it.

Game of the gen. Sorry Galaxy 2.

Are u a new player? I am curious to hear impressions from u PC guys. Souls is my favorite new IP this gen, I was always curious to know what 360 and PC gamers thought of it.

I highly recommend Demon's Souls if u want to go back and have a PS3/want an excuse. Demon's Souls multiplayer was much better (shut down now, I think)

ugbh please tell me no more bosses put me in a tiny room, the game is infuriatingly broken in such tiny spaces

the camera just keeps spinning around disorientingly, I feel like the dozen deaths is entirely random and out of my control

all other fights I felt like I did something wrong, in this one its infuriating because I cant get my character to do what I want -
run up stairs, kill dogs, and evade attacks
I went all magic for that fight. Just ran in a circle (strafing backwards, locked on) up the stairs then dropping off them, taking out the dogs with fire then kept gauging my distance for soul arrows.

do you get to meet any interesting characters? So far no one compares to the atmosphere of demons souls so far. hell the last few characters have stood with their arms straight out horizontally (is this a bug?)

dark souls has tons of gameplay innovation over demons souls, but its relatively soul-less so far NPC wise, SL 32

Or is this because the game is huge and I'm just not far enough into the game...

do you get to meet any interesting characters? So far no one compares to the atmosphere of demons souls so far. hell the last few characters have stood with their arms straight out horizontally (is this a bug?)

dark souls has tons of gameplay innovation over demons souls, but its relatively soul-less so far NPC wise, SL 32

Or is this because the game is huge and I'm just not far enough into the game...

Where are you in the game? I think Dark Souls blows Demons' out of the water in terms of characters and lore. I also think there are a lot more characters, but I'm not sure. Just seems that way. Keep in mind, guys you fight like Havel are also characters who have interesting back story.

I went all magic for that fight. Just ran in a circle (strafing backwards, locked on) up the stairs then dropping off them, taking out the dogs with fire then kept gauging my distance for soul arrows.

can you run faster if you put a lot of points into DEX? i dont see a big difference in speed between <25 and <50 (apart from stamina use/regen)

I dont know if thats because my build is fairly high dex for zweihander, and then sorcerer (ie almost no endurance or dex)

I feel like I wasted my time up to SL32 since I cant move fast enough to dodge the demon attacks, 100% shield damage block is useless (attacks brush aside like nothing) and my STR weapons are so slow I always take damage in return

Is it just me or the bosses in the second half are kinda easy-as-fuck?
As someone who overleveled way too much in order to beat Sif (before even going against Quelaag!), the only boss that really drove me crazy was Bed of Chaos. Even Ornstein and Smough solo went down relatively easy.

Nito and Gwyn in particular, look fucking awesome but are so disappointingly easy. Four Kings are tough as fuck in NG+ but on the first run they were very easy. The only challenge with Seath was getting the tail. Bed of Chaos, though? Only the stupid cats from Darkroot Garden killed me more.

2798.jpg

Also, a dex build is very good with a Katana +15.

Grief.exe

Are u a new player? I am curious to hear impressions from u PC guys. Souls is my favorite new IP this gen, I was always curious to know what 360 and PC gamers thought of it.

I highly recommend Demon's Souls if u want to go back and have a PS3/want an excuse. Demon's Souls multiplayer was much better (shut down now, I think)

I'm a new player and its some of the most fun I've had in a game for a while.

As someone who overleveled way too much in order to beat Sif (before even going against Quelaag!), the only boss that really drove me crazy was Bed of Chaos. Even Ornstein and Smough solo went down relatively easy.

Uh oh. Bed of chaos is my next boss fight. I'm in for some fun.

can you run faster if you put a lot of points into DEX? i dont see a big difference in speed between <25 and <50 (apart from stamina use/regen)

I dont know if thats because my build is fairly high dex for zweihander, and then sorcerer (ie almost no endurance or dex)

I feel like I wasted my time up to SL32 since I cant move fast enough to dodge the demon attacks, 100% shield damage block is useless (attacks brush aside like nothing) and my STR weapons are so slow I always take damage in return
To be honest I'm not sure how weight is handled in Dark Souls but I was weighted enough to have the slow dodge roll, but I didn't use it. Blocked with shield and just kept moving backwards, only close calls were if I ended up with him between me and the stairs and I got hit with one of the two-handed over the head attacks.

I'm not trying to build my character any sort of way really, figure I'll do that on my next playthrough.

Where are you in the game? I think Dark Souls blows Demons' out of the water in terms of characters and lore. I also think there are a lot more characters, but I'm not sure. Just seems that way. Keep in mind, guys you fight like Havel are also characters who have interesting back story.

I dont know this game is VERY confusing to a first timer as I had no clue where to go after fighting the
gargoyles
- great fight, took me a dozen times changing my tactics each time and learning from it.

I then thought the shoot dragon in tail was lame and un-atmospheric so I ended up
going through the church with the channeler and the boar
reaching that first blacksmith and the
lightning spewing no head demon
had fun exploring around there
in the gardens with the giant trees
and using tactics to advance, though I got the sense I wasn't supposed to be there as enemies were very dangerous and took very careful tactics

so I went back and realized I needed to go down to the
capra demon
and below, my great 20+ hour experience turned to frustration because I felt that narrow space just was awful as I was fighting the camera and controls the entire time

so far I think demons souls is a way more atmospheric world in terms of character and story, but again perhaps dark souls is huge and I just havent found the good stuff yet

are some NPC's supposed to just stand there with arms pointing out horizontally? bug?

To be honest I'm not sure how weight is handled in Dark Souls but I was weighted enough to have the slow dodge roll, but I didn't use it. Blocked with shield and just kept moving backwards, only close calls were if I ended up with him between me and the stairs and I got hit with one of the two-handed over the head attacks.

I'm not trying to build my character any sort of way really, figure I'll do that on my next playthrough.

thats what I dont get, I block with a shield that is supposed to be 100% damage protect and have full stamina bar, first hit takes away half my health (which is 750 or something like that, SL 32)

Perkel

Banned
Always had nightmares about capra.
Later on i met few of them. I one-shoted two of them at once.
Feels good. Zweihander for life.

Seriously that weapon is OP. There was no any problem in tomb of giants with +10. With shield devastating stamina attack no one can stop me :D

so presumably weapons are all slow because I have STR weapons right? Zweihander for example with 24 STR (awesome BTW)

I imagine dex weapons like katanas are super fast, ie DEX are fast but dont hit as hard

I kinda dead ended myself for the
capra demon
with high STR and INT (and foolishly built up some faith also) since I cant survice hits even with a nice shield, my magic is too slow to cast, and my heavy weapons are too slow to hit without getting hit back in response

I imagine a higher DEX, higher endurance character would help with a lesser focus on INT.

Always had nightmares about capra.
Later on i met few of them. I one-shoted two of them at once.
Feels good. Zweihander for life.

Seriously that weapon is OP. There was no any problem in tomb of giants with +10. With shield devastating stamina attack no one can stop me :D

oh if I wasnt stuck in a tiny room with camera spinning out of control, I'd own his ass no problem with the zweihander and heavy soul arrows

Sullichin

oh if I wasnt stuck in a tiny room with camera spinning out of control, I'd own his ass no problem with the zweihander and heavy soul arrows

Try throwing an alluring skull (you can buy them from the undead merchant in the aqueduct leading to lower burg) when you first walk into the fog door. This will distract Capra long enough for you to run to the stairs, and take care of the dogs. Capra will chase you up there but he will fall down. When he falls, plunge attack, run up the stairs and repeat.

Serra

I really dislike any area where I have to run and fight a lot of dudes from the bonfire to the boss. Having to go from Dukes Archives to the Crystal Caves and then try to cut off Seaths tail, get cursed and die.

Then do it all over again :(

PrimeRib_

so presumably weapons are all slow because I have STR weapons right? Zweihander for example with 24 STR (awesome BTW)

I imagine dex weapons like katanas are super fast, ie DEX are fast but dont hit as hard

I kinda dead ended myself for the
capra demon
with high STR and INT (and foolishly built up some faith also) since I cant survice hits even with a nice shield, my magic is too slow to cast, and my heavy weapons are too slow to hit without getting hit back in response

I imagine a higher DEX, higher endurance character would help with a lesser focus on INT.

Sort of. Weight has a lot to do with it. The less a weapon weighs (generally) the faster it swings. DEX weapons are typically faster than STR weapons (and they weigh less).

My strat:
For Capra: start running right when you get in. I found it was easiest to dodge the dogs, heading as quickly as possible, up the stairs to your left. From here,you can usually back up against the wall in the corner and take out both dogs by the time the Capra Demon makes his way toward you. then it's just a matter of fighting 1v1

Leezard

thats what I dont get, I block with a shield that is supposed to be 100% damage protect and have full stamina bar, first hit takes away half my health (which is 750 or something like that, SL 32)

Not all attacks (or shields) are equal. There are some different sizes of shields, which affect whether you can shield bash or parry, and whether you can block certain attacks. I think there are some unblockable attacks as well, but there are definitely attacks that large shields can block that small shields cannot.

it affects all casting? sorcery as well? (I knew it did faith...)

dammit, another reason I need to restart

Yeah. It's not a huge difference or anything. You don't need to restart, unless you want to make a DEX/INT or DEX/FAI hybrid build. I made the latter and it turned out to be my favorite build. It's awesome being able to cast all these miracles and at the same time tear things up with a buffed balder side sword.

You're build is fine for that fight, you should just try approaching the fight from a different angle.

er...thanks

I just "won" the fight using the tactic I think you suggested but I feel...like a dirty cheat LOL

Actually I didn't see the part that I could use, I accidentally rolled onto it

Eusis

Are Demon's servers really shut down now? I thought they'd decided to delay that, haven't been on in a while though...
Pretty sure there was a last minute swoop in, but I'll have to log in to see if they quietly shut down or not. I'm guessing Sony might have an active interest in keeping it around.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm thinking of doing a int or faith based build for my next play through.

Want to get all of the sorceries and miracles in one play through. Is this possible?

What weapon should I go with? Was thinking of with uchigatana weapon for its low requirements. Any advice?

You can get all Sorceries in one playthrough. You need to hit NG+ to get all Miracles.

For Sorcery-focused Int builds the traditional go-to weapon has been the Moonlight Greatsword since pretty much forever. Requires 16 Strength, and whether it's still top dog depends on how much the greatsword swing speed nerf bothers you. For something with lower requirements the Moonlight Butterfly Horn only requires 12 Strength, freeing up 4 points to use elsewhere. For the minimalist build that focuses totally on spells for offense you could start as a Sorcerer and put only a single point into Dexterity. That gets you access to the Rapier, which you can take along a non-scaling upgrade path and pair with a Heater Shield.

One of the main limiting factors in an Int build that really wants to use Sorcery beyond weapon enchantments is that 44 Int is basically the bare minimum, with 50 Int being preferable. That's a lot of soul levels to invest in something that doesn't increase your durability at all and that only gives you access to a scant few weapons. That's why I'm generally less inclined to go for the Moonlight Greatsword post-nerf; starting as a Sorcerer 16 Strength is 8 whole levels to get access to a sword that really just ain't what it used to be when you can devote those points to something else. Heavy Int builds are usually leaning heavily on their catalyst as their primary mode of offense, so your actual weapon is mostly just something you use to preserve castings on the way to a boss.

Faith builds are quite a bit more flexible, I think. You still need to go all the way to 50 to get access to all Miracles, but the top-level Miracles aren't nearly as important to a Faith build as the top-level Sorceries are to an Int build. 30 Faith gets you access to both Miracle weapon enchantments as well as Wrath of the Gods and the two readily-accessible Lightning Spear Miracles for offense. All you get for going above 30 are a couple of questionably-useful AoE heals and an limited-use offensive spell that requires two Attunement slots to equip. This leaves you a lot more wiggle room than an Int build in terms of meeting weapon requirements.

The only really onerous Faith build, stat-wise, is a Grant build, which requires a bare minimum of 34 Strength and 30 Faith to two-hand. If you want to use it one-handed you're looking at going all the way to 50 Strength. Grant builds are actually a lot of fun, but building an entire character around using a single weapon isn't necessarily something you want to do until you've got a few characters under your belt and have played the field a bit, so to speak.

halberd moveset is amazing - VERY long range thrust like a spear for safe attacks against single enemies, and safe use in corridors, yet a wide attack that hits EVERY enemy in a huge radius and nice jump attacks

man it would be great if they released demons souls on pc

I really prefer the characters in demons souls, even though dark souls seems like a way better game.

I'm scared to play on my launch PS3 60 GB that can do high def PS2 upscaling - no longer can buy hardware emulation right?

Haunted

isn't the
Kiln of the first flame
just....beautiful?
and the last fight too. AND the music.
wat. One of the ugliest locations in the game. Terrible choice of colours.

Final fight is great, though, and has my favourite music track in the game.

ArynCrinn

Banned
halberd moveset is amazing - VERY long range thrust like a spear for safe attacks against single enemies, and safe use in corridors, yet a wide attack that hits EVERY enemy in a huge radius and nice jump attacks

I take this weapon to +10 Fire asap on any of my melee focused builds, every time. Not to mention it has insane damage at that upgrade, but the basic +15 path isn't bad either if you want it to scale and buff it. One of my favorite weapons, aside from the Gargoyle's Halberd Chaos/Fire.

Although, I have to admit I liked the animations and move set of the Halberd much better in Demon's.

I take this weapon to +10 Fire asap on any of my melee focused builds, every time. Not to mention it has insane damage at that upgrade, but the basic +15 path isn't bad either if you want it to scale and buff it. One of my favorite weapons, aside from the Gargoyle's Halberd Chaos/Fire.

Although, I have to admit I liked the animations and move set of the Halberd much better in Demon's.

wow, I HAVE to go back and play demons souls now lol

Top Bottom