• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Grief.exe

So ....

PC version doesnt display keyboard/mouse prompts, nor is the mouse aim remotely viable (from what i have heard). Then obviously the low internal res (Durante fixes it however woo !), am i also reading problems with the netcode ? Not seen anything about the game crashing, so is the PC version pretty stable ? I hear about the whole "Blight town" FPS issue, does this remain in the PC version ?

Basically, i have no idea what this game is like or about, but im interested, but i want to make sure the version i buy isnt some fucked up piece of shit. I hate the idea that the only viable way to play the PC version is by controller, because it sure as hell doesnt look like a game that "needs" it, and could work quite nicely if done properly. 30 FPS doesnt bother me (is there a legit technical reason why its there ?), low internal res is horrible but thankfully Durante got that shit sorted. Now i just wonder about other things like stability and connectivity, is the PC version good on that side of things ?

Is this worth buying on the PC ?

The only problem with the net code is when you try to summon someone. I don't know what the issue is, but everyone is having problems.

On the other hand getting summoned and invading are perfect. I've been invading Anor Londo, New Londo Ruins, Demon Ruins, and Lost Izalith basically for the last 3 days straight and have hardly had an interruption in duels.
When I beat S&O with O last, I started putting my sign down to help other people with that boss since its a cakewalk with 2 people. I never had problems getting summoned.

KB/M controls and locked internal resolution suck, but both are easily fixed with a controller and Durante respectively.
I honestly can't see playing this game without a controller the benefits of analog control over digital are huge. But to each his own.

Personally, I think you should get the game. I'm a first time player and I'm absolutely blown away with how amazing this game is.

Being Dark Souls I can only imagine bad things would happen if I try.

I actually was just reading about that on the wiki, you should stay there.

Out of curiosity what SL is everyone at? I am chilling at 75.

I've been sitting at 65 for a long time, I'll probably hit 66 to get the last bit of endurance I need then stay there for the rest of the game.

IDK, what do you guys think I should do?

mxgt

Banned
Man I love two handing a Demon Great Machete+15 along with Power Within and Crystal Magic Weapon.

One hit killed Taurus Demon on NG+ with 3560 damage plunging attack, lol

Think I'm going to make a dex character now though.

I played this game last year more than 100+ hours but I just noticed you can do this.

lol

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize the shortcut between the bridge with the dragon / undead burg bonfire. On my very first time playing, when I died about 10 times trying to run past that dragon - the long way back was a pain.

can anyone comment on going back and playing demons souls after dark souls?

I never really got into demons souls too much, and I'm wondering how well it stands up to dark souls. Are there the same cool weapons and move sets for example?

man shame no demons soul pc right

I think Dark Souls made me enjoy Demon's Souls even more, and DS is probably my favorite of the two all around (but it's like, a 9.5/10 compared to a 9/10, it's a close one :p)

After beating DkS on the PS3, I immediately loaded up DS and did another run and loved it, probably even more the second time around.

My first time playing, I didn't really 'get' the weapon upgrades/etc, and just sort of brute-forced my way through the game relying on ranged magic and cheap tactics.

Second time, pure-melee, made use of weapon upgrades and was an emmsienly enjoyable and satisfying expierence. Now after playing DkS on the PC - I want to go back to DS again soon.

I know it is a question most wont like, but is there a console to this game? I mean I've played DS to death on PS3, and have been at it for a while with the PC version. My favorite game of last year. So like I did with Skyrim I would love to mess around with everything in the game, break it etc etc. Is this game like most that have console commands or any way I can cheat?

I'm playing offline, I don't mind it at all. Even if this is not available, will modding be? I'm curious to know these things.

No, no console, no modding support. There are trainers floating around that give you 1-hit kills/unlimited souls/etc, but no idea which ones work/which ones are just packaged spyware and if they work online or not. But, looking at the book of indictment and seeing people with 99 in every stat, SL1 and 99 uses of all their spells - hacking/cheating is going on.

Cramoss

I think Dark Souls made me enjoy Demon's Souls even more, and DS is probably my favorite of the two all around (but it's like, a 9.5/10 compared to a 9/10, it's a close one :p)

After beating DkS on the PS3, I immediately loaded up DS and did another run and loved it, probably even more the second time around.

My first time playing, I didn't really 'get' the weapon upgrades/etc, and just sort of brute-forced my way through the game relying on ranged magic and cheap tactics.

Second time, pure-melee, made use of weapon upgrades and was an emmsienly enjoyable and satisfying expierence. Now after playing DkS on the PC - I want to go back to DS again soon.

Yup, Demon's Souls is amazing. A lot of memorable areas, fights and moments.

Everyone new to this series should play it.

It's odd, Dark Souls as a whole is a great game - but at the same time, I have a hard time picking out favorite/memorable moments.

Demon's Souls - so many things stand out, although this could be large in part because I was new to this style of game.

My first character, picking a mage - dying so often, not able to make a dent into 1-1 thinking "Why the fuck did I buy this?", then re-rolling as a Royal and starting to clue into how things work.

First time facing the Boss of 2-1, hiding at the end of the hallway trying to doge fire while firing off ranged attacks like a pansy.

Doing co-op in 3-1 as summon - learning the level as I watched my hosts fall to death, get killed by guards, etc. By 5th or so summon - I was the one leading people through the level, and then dominated it once I beat it myself.

Arrow-Firing Jesus statue, nuff said. Going into world 3-2 and thinking that is was one of the most dark/twisted/evil feeling levels I've been in in a game.

The level design of world 1 was amazing all around, really enjoyed the inter-locking short-cuts/opening.

World 5, *shudder*, slogging through that muck ... then the final boss encounter - the game takes you through a range of emotions, from defeat/hopelessness, to victory, joy, sorrow.

There are def stand out moments in Dark Souls, but not as many that resonate quite as much as DS does.

So I've got a Halberd +10 and I was wondering if I should upgrade it with lightning or fire. I remember lightning weapons being awesome on the 360 version but apparently they've been nerfed a bit. Still worth it? Or should I consider another upgrade?

arit

Did Namco ever make the soundtrack to dark souls available? I can not seem to find it anywhere.

It was shipped with the console and the pc retail versions. Now i might take a look, if new tracks have been added to it....

EDIT: Sadly it is the same disc.

Firehead

I feel really dumb. Officemate asked me what Dark Souls was like, and I said "like Diablo but creepy and hard".

why
why
why

I could've at least compared it to Skyrim which he also knows.
I would've said, "A 3D Metroidvania with old-school Castlevania difficulty."

Would that be slightly more accurate?

So I've got a Halberd +10 and I was wondering if I should upgrade it with lightning or fire. I remember lightning weapons being awesome on the 360 version but apparently they've been nerfed a bit. Still worth it? Or should I consider another upgrade?

The nerf for a +5 lightning weapon is like around 5% iirc. But the lower upgrade levels nerfs are more noticable.

derwalde

Im looking to build my second character right now (even if i havent finished the game with my first one...).

My goal is to have a relatively low SL for lots of cooping (and a bit PvP?!). Moreover i want to get deeper in the mechanics of DS, especially regarding parrying (therefore i chose the heater shield). Weapon is a elemental lightning BSS (because of the low lvl; lightning because pyro already deals fire damage) and a 2 pyrogloves for backup (power within)

yet im totally unsure of armor and the second ring (cloranthy, leo, hornet, DWGR with light armor...)

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=1734886555085712

do you think its a solid, viable und fun build? what armor and ring could you suggest me?

thanks in advance!

hmm, starting to regret going for a strength build. The weapons are so slow.

str weapons take some getting used to, I've generally avoided them in both DS/DkS.

Although, my new char is doing more of a str/faith build, and first time using a claymore - and now that I'm getting used to the move-set I'm really starting to see the appeal.

But if your new to the game, or simply bad at being patient and timing a 'well placed attack' instead of 'spamming fast attacks' --- might be worth looking at dex weapons for a bit.

Part of me wants to call the Souls series the scariest set of games out there, but maybe thats not the right word. I guess I'd call it unsettling or plain old adrenaline rush. Playing through Dark Souls for the first time it never ceases to amaze me how shaken up I get when fighting a boss, after beating one I always have to step away and walk around for a bit even if it went pretty well.

If its anything like Demon's Souls it'll lessen on repeat playthroughs but nothing beats your first run through these games.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Uh no, that's the Moonlight Sword. An iconic From Soft weapon since like, King's Field 2.

You want a blatantly Berserk referenced sword, you want the Thousandlimbs in Dragon's Dogma.

but those items and armor are straight up from berserk though the ones from dragons dogma that is

Part of me wants to call the Souls series the scariest set of games out there, but maybe thats not the right word. I guess I'd call it unsettling or plain old adrenaline rush. Playing through Dark Souls for the first time it never ceases to amaze me how shaken up I get when fighting a boss, after beating one I always have to step away and walk around for a bit even if it went pretty well.

If its anything like Demon's Souls it'll lessen on repeat playthroughs but nothing beats your first run through these games.

Barely making it past the bore, finally opening up the damn gate from behind. Wondering 'do I explore further, or go rest at the bone fire that I KNOW where it is?'
.... I decide to rest at the bonfire, little did I know there would be a bugger that would slam that gate shut if I didn't make a run for it.

I clear again, out of flasks, inside of a church - not sure what I should be doing next, and knowing that damn gate will slam shut again. A glowing orange sign appears, I walk over to it, 'Shortcut Ahead', step onto the plate thinking 'this asshole better not be lying....', was quite the relief once Firelink Shrine appeared.

Then discovering the bonfire by the Black Smith, but when you are down to zero flasks and no idea what is around the next bend, and it took you so much effort to get this far - anything unknown can be damn terrifying.

Now I can clear this area with such speed and ease, even on a completely new character it almost seems laughable :), but that feeling of fear gets replaced by sanctification instead of boredom (like it tends to in other games I find)

TheExodu5

Banned
Blighttown from the bottom:

blight1.png

randomwab

I'm roughly level 60, and trying to go through Sen's Fortress, and holy fuck do I regret going for a Dex build. I'm using a Uchigatana+10 and the thing feels so weak now. God, I think I might have wasted my time. :( Need to get to Anor Londo to drop Lightning on this weapon fast.

I'm roughly level 60, and trying to go through Sen's Fortress, and holy fuck do I regret going for a Dex build. I'm using a Uchigatana+10 and the thing feels so weak now. God, I think I might have wasted my time. :( Need to get to Anor Londo to drop Lightning on this weapon fast.

There is a lightning spear in Sen's Fortress if it helps.

Blighttown from the bottom:

The Dark Souls world is interconnected and laid out so organically. It really is amazing.

You can also easily get to the blacksmith that does fire in the Catacombs. The lizards are weak to fire - try buying some of the stuff that adds fire damage to your weapon.

Or, just suck it up, push in a little bit more and you'll come across the lightening spear which is a nice upgrade for most people that can last them awhile.

ArynCrinn

Banned

For a stock Halberd, always say yes to a +10 Fire investment. And never look back.

Deadstar

Generally when should I try to access the new content? I think I'm around SL 50 and I've been there but it seems a little difficult. I can only hold 10 estus flasks now so it seems like I might want to improve that along with my weapons and shield before venturing further.

goodfella

The thick sense of dread is part of what makes them so cool. It's not horror, but it's very tense. I agree that "unsettling" is a good term to use.

The sense of dread as you approach the white light leading to a boss is amazing. You have no fucking idea what it is, or how it is going to kill you.

Dresden

Dex builds are fine, uchigatana is a good weapon.

Lightning is good early on but if you've already invested heavily in Dex, you might just want to toss a few points into Intelligence and grab Greater Magic Weapon to enchant your katana with.

TheExodu5

Banned
Was Ceaseless Discharge supposed to be that easy? He did the same attack over and over again.

I stayed near the point where you pick up the armor. Baited his arm swing, easily sidestepped away from it, and then just attacked his arm. Did that about 20-25 times. Dead.

edit: holy shit the Gold Hemmed gear you get there is insane.

Eusis

Was Ceaseless Discharge supposed to be that easy? He did the same attack over and over again.

I stayed near the point where you pick up the armor. Baited his arm swing, easily sidestepped away from it, and then just attacked his arm. Did that about 20-25 times. Dead.

edit: holy shit the Gold Hemmed gear you get there is insane.
To be brutally honest? You did it the hard way. The easy way is to
run back to the entrance, have him try to lunge at you only to be hanging for his life from the cliff, and you hit his hand a few times and make him fall to his death. Seriously.

TheExodu5

Banned
To be brutally honest? You did it the hard way. The easy way is to
run back to the entrance, have him try to lunge at you only to be hanging for his life from the cliff, and you hit his hand a few times and make him fall to his death. Seriously.

lmfao

I need to see that.

IoCaster

Wasted a bunch of arrows trying to kill that dragon on the bridge. Oh well, I'll try again later after I buy some more arrows. I went down ambush alley and got back-stabbed, mauled and poisoned to death repeatedly. That shit was nasty and then I had to fight another demon (Capra?) and got killed a bunch more times. That wasn't even the worst. I went down into the Depths right after and kept getting slimed and cursed every time I turned a fucking corner in that hellish maze. To top it off I got jumped by some phantom (Kirt?) out of nowhere. He chased me over toward some NPC who got pissed when I accidentally hit him and the two of them teamed up on me. And that was that. I have to take a break from all of this abuse before I rip my keyboard in half. :/

Zzoram

Wasted a bunch of arrows trying to kill that dragon on the bridge. Oh well, I'll try again later after I buy some more arrows. I went down ambush alley and got back-stabbed, mauled and poisoned to death repeatedly. That shit was nasty and then I had to fight another demon (Capra?) and got killed a bunch more times. That wasn't even the worst. I went down into the Depths right after and kept getting slimed and cursed every time I turned a fucking corner in that hellish maze. To top it off I got jumped by some phantom (Kirt?) out of nowhere. He chased me over toward some NPC who got pissed when I accidentally hit him and the two of them teamed up on me. And that was that. I have to take a break from all of this abuse before I rip my keyboard in half. :/

Shoot the dragon tail, you can't kill it from below but you can cut off it's tail. Every boss/miniboss enemy with a huge tail, cut it off.

You can pay an NPC to remove NPC aggro after you beat the Gargoyles at the church bell tower.

hmm I may have had enough of this game
stupid capra demon thing with the 2 undead dogs - I feel like my build just doesnt work period, I have a sorcerer with high strength and zweihander and other heavy weapons

great for other bosses, eg taking out he gargoyles was fun solo even though it took me 9 or 10 tries and I felt like I was learning

but this demon thing, I just dont have time to cast spells or even attack. blocking is no good because he gets through my block. I dont have access to the kind of spells that may help like the homing soulmass things. the area is tiny so thanks to the camera swinging around its so disorienting, I cant even see whats happening.
dozen times and I feel like I simply have no viable path than grind for 10 hours to build up effective new build thats faster

I'm SL 32 BTW

Top Bottom