• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ArynCrinn

Banned
wow, I HAVE to go back and play demons souls now lol

Yep, the Halberd in Demon's had a very measured but slower weighty feel to it one-handed, and when you switched to two-handed it was a quicker spear-type animation. It was bad ass.

Loved doing farming routines in 1-3 and just wrecking fools two-handed with it all the way through, no shield just boss.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Helped somebody out of a sticky situation with an invader earlier today in the Undead Parish. We managed to corner him on that one balcony with the balder knight that guards the knight shield. Not sure what he was thinking cornering himself like that but piss on him, easy pickings.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kind of wish I didn't go down into the Demon Ruins. Gold Hemmed gear is so much better than Elite Knight gear. :(

Is there any reason to use Elite Knight over it? I hope so.

matmanx1

Kind of wish I didn't go down into the Demon Ruins. Gold Hemmed gear is so much better than Elite Knight gear. :(

Poise. I really prefer armor with poise unless you need the high fire resist of the Gold Hemmed. Being able to take a hit and keep on swinging or casting is pretty important.

nOoblet16

Ok just what the fuck?
One reason why I hate the PvP so much is because there's always someone who tries to invade me with equipment and abilities I seem to have no idea about or things that I didn't even knew the game had.

Here's the story, I helped around a couple of people defeat the area boss, eventhough I didn't do so in my own world (I think its best to try around the bosses in another's world before taking them on in yours). After a couple of runs I thought to defeat the boss in my own world with some help from white phantom since there seemed to be a lot of people around in this particular area
Darkroot garden
. So I reversed hollowing in order to be able to summon white phantoms and after roaming around pointlessly for 10 minutes searching for summon signs I get invaded by this goofy guy who's quite poor at PvP fights, I try to get a backstab and what I get instead is a lightning shock, I try it again and I get another shock...wtf? He was barely even able to fight me, but because of this he was able to kill me.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Fully upgraded Elite Knight is significantly better. Un-upgradable armor sets like the Gold-Hemmed Robes have good stats out of the box, but upgradable armor sets of comparable weight are almost always better once you upgrade them. Pour some Titanite and souls into the Elite Knight gear and watch the advantages of the Gold-Hemmed fade away.

There's also the fact that Elite Knight Armor has 46 Poise and Gold-Hemmed has 0.

Eusis

Fully upgraded Elite Knight is significantly better. Un-upgradable armor sets like the Gold-Hemmed Robes have good stats out of the box, but upgradable armor sets of comparable weight are almost always better once you upgrade them. Pour some Titanite and souls into the Elite Knight gear and watch the advantages of the Gold-Hemmed fade away.

There's also the fact that Elite Knight Armor has 46 Poise and Gold-Hemmed has 0.
The Havel gear may be the big exception there, and even then that's largely because it has an obscene amount of poise. Still, it may not be worth it to sacrifice the ability to freely roll around without investing a lot into endurance AND being decked out in the right gear, though there are situations where you definitely want obscene poise.

PrimeRib_

This. On PS3, I've got +9 Elite Armor. In short, it's the best bang for your buck, in regards to mobility / defense. Now, just need to farm slabs to top these pieces off ...

2-Terms of Kombat
I'm still fairly new to the game and working on a Dex build with a Hunter. What are some good lighter armors? Right now I've got a mishmash of the black leather set and the legs from the warrior set. Everything else I've come across so far has been heavy stuff that kills my mobility.

PrimeRib_

I'm still fairly new to the game and working on a Dex build with a Hunter. What are some good lighter armors? Right now I've got a mishmash of the black leather set and the legs from the warrior set. Everything else I've come across so far has been heavy stuff that kills my mobility.

The Crimson Set is quite good, low on weight and offers a sizable bonus to Curse/Poison resist. Ironically enough, it's located in the swamps of Blighttown itself. The skirt/pants were used often as I boosted up to higher weight chest pieces and needed to keep the overall weight low.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The Havel gear may be the big exception there, and even then that's largely because it has an obscene amount of poise. Still, it may not be worth it to sacrifice the ability to freely roll around without investing a lot into endurance AND being decked out in the right gear, though there are situations where you definitely want obscene poise.

Havel's is only really an exception in terms of the magic defense, which makes sense given Havel's backstory. Fully-upgraded Giant's Armor is better in every other respect save Poise, and both sets are well within "More than enough" territory on that stat.

Even fully-upgraded Black Iron is better than Havel's in some ways while weighing a full 10 Indefinite Weight Units less.

This. On PS3, I've got +9 Elite Armor. In short, it's the best bang for your buck, in regards to mobility / defense. Now, just need to farm slabs to top these pieces off ...

It lost a lot of its luster with the nerf to Poise, but with that being reverted in the PC version it's back to being probably the overall most efficient armor in the game in terms of the amount of utility for the weight.

Sullichin

- Black Leather set looks cool and is good upgraded
- Wanderer set, the coat's one of my favorite looking armor pieces
- Shadow set has good resistances
- Dingy set, if you successfully save
the firekeeper at firelink shrine
- Gold hemmed set is a good one for all characters to grab, I especially find it useful for my low level characters

Light armor is all about staying under 25% equip load. Don't expect awesome defense, but you can roll from attacks much faster. By the same token, slow, heavy armor even with good DEF can get you crushed by bosses because of the slow mobility. For bosses, I often like to use light armor and stay at the 25% tier. When I'm at the 50% tier, I like to rock Black Iron Leggings and Gauntlets, Helm of the Wise, and either black leather armor or the new Chester armor.

2-Terms of Kombat
Yeah I love the look of the black leather armor, especially when swapping the legs for hard leather boots. I wear a hollow theif's hood, it doesn't contribute much to defense but it makes my guy look pretty awesome. I've noticed that more players bite the bait on my summon signs with this getup. :p

Sarcasm

lol is havel able to defeat physics?

I wait til he swings, which is after a power up or build up, and I will be behind in perfect BS spot. But magically mid swing he is facing me.

Kinda funny. How can I do that?

TheExodu5

Banned

Good to know. Elite Knight looks amazing so I'd rather stick with that.

Sullichin

lol is havel able to defeat physics?

I wait til he swings, which is after a power up or build up, and I will be behind in perfect BS spot. But magically mid swing he is facing me.

Kinda funny. How can I do that?

if you don't use lock on, you can change the direction of a strike with the left analog stick. Good thing to learn for backstab fishers and the like. Works excellently with a big weapon like the great club for example, charge up your heavy attack, flick a different direction before you come down with the strike. I also do this constantly with the Balder Side Sword R2 attacks.

Defuser

Man, I have died more times to Kalameet than to Magnus amd I still haven't kill the damn dragon. I always try to keep a close range of it beacuse I don't wanna get hit by it's black fire and flash sweat doesn't work but the damn thing always hover fire to reset the distance. This is pissing me off bad.

Sullichin

Man, I have died more times to Kalameet than to Magnus amd I still haven't kill the damn dragon. I always try to keep a close range of it beacuse I don't wanna get hit by it's black fire and flash sweat doesn't work but the damn thing always hover fire to reset the distance. This is pissing me off bad.

I'm stuck with him on two characters. It's nice to have a boss in this game that can do this to me again. I thought Manus was really hard too.
I beat him with Sif, Sif died right before the end of the fight :( He was limping too. Manus' dark magic attacks, especially the one thats nearly unavoidable that home in on you, are freaking crazy
. The DLC definitely has some of the hardest bosses in the game.

oh dark souls you SOAB
depths first time you look at that soldier with light shining and the slime attacks! died since didnt have much health but I lol'd man its a shame those butchers didnt respawn, fun fighting those

so I havent finished
depths
should I be upgrading armor or I can I worry about it later? I find it more fun upgrading weapons

oh dark souls you SOAB
depths first time you look at that soldier with light shining and the slime attacks! died since didnt have much health but I lol'd man its a shame those butchers didnt respawn, fun fighting those
Same shit happened to me and scared the crap outa me. I nearly quit at the point as I was so freaked out by it :( It was only extra souls as well :(

Sarcasm

Going to take a break. Havel physics defying swings are making me bit frustrated and thus in return I am gettin bored.

I want to be able to change direction to 180 mid swing. Last time though I think my roll button got stuck and than I got stuck in the stairs lol.

arit

oh dark souls you SOAB

Usually there are a bazillion "trap ahead!" messages on the floor. But concentrating on the blob, the undead ahead can surprise one too.

Going to take a break. Havel physics defying swings are making me bit frustrated and thus in return I am gettin bored.

I want to be able to change direction to 180 mid swing. Last time though I think my roll button got stuck and than I got stuck in the stairs lol.

You could always kill him through a closed door at the bottom, or lure him to the top where he tries to return once he reaches the outside door. Cheap ways that may take some time, but kinda safe.

Fuck this game*

I retried the Gargoyle fight about 5-7 times. All close or just pure bullshit (as in, I kept getting hit every. fucking. time). All that frustration didn't go away after the attempt where I killed them. I didn't get hit at all, and used around 5-6 Heavy Soul Arrows.

*I love it

2-Terms of Kombat

Lighten your armor load and you should be able to easily dance around his swing and shove your weapon up his ass before he recovers.

IoCaster

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Hydra. I've gotten it down to two heads twice and been killed by...something...I'm really not sure what. It didn't seem like I got hit by a head either time, but I'm starting to believe there's something in the water that I can't see that's killing me. I'm going to try and find a safe spot to do ranged attacks with my bow next time. I did find some damn nice armor so it hasn't been all bad.

This game just surprises the hell out of me all the time. I get killed a lot but with very few exceptions it's not due to some cheap game mechanic like I originally thought. A very well crafted challenge and I'm glad I decided to play it. Good stuff.

Clevinger

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Hydra. I've gotten it down to two heads twice and been killed by...something...I'm really not sure what. It didn't seem like I got hit by a head either time, but I'm starting to believe there's something in the water that I can't see that's killing me. I'm going to try and find a safe spot to do ranged attacks with my bow next time. I did find some damn nice armor so it hasn't been all bad.

There's nothing in the water except a sudden drop off that will insta-kill you if you fall into. It's kind of hard to see.

I'll give you a tip, if you want it:

Don't lock on to the hydra. When it's about to strike you, put up your shield and keep your body pointing forward. Then you can run over and attack its necks, then run back to your previous spot. You should be completely safe, provided you have a strong enough shield, because his moves never really change. He just does that lunge when you're close to him.

If you try to fight him ranged, it will probably be harder because those water projectiles are a pain in the balls.

IoCaster

There's nothing in the water except a sudden drop off that will insta-kill you if you fall into. It's kind of hard to see.

D'oh! Yeah, that would explain it. I didn't notice in the heat of battle, but both times I was kinda closing in for the kill and must have fallen off the edge. It was a pretty sudden "You Died" game over screen that left me scratching my head. Thanks for the tip and now that I know about the drop off I should be able to avoid it.

Fuck this game*

I retried the Gargoyle fight about 5-7 times. All close or just pure bullshit (as in, I kept getting hit every. fucking. time). All that frustration didn't go away after the attempt where I killed them. I didn't get hit at all, and used around 5-6 Heavy Soul Arrows.

*I love it
Did you use solaire? Really helps in that fight as he can pull aggro off you. If I have thd chance to use solaire I will try the fight 3 or 4 times solo then bring him in to help.
I just beat the
Gaping dragon
in the depths, so Is there any other npcs I can summon soon?

Ridley327

Good to know. Elite Knight looks amazing so I'd rather stick with that.

Elite Knight 4 life. Seriously, I love the design of that entire set.

That said,
Ornstein's set
is its equal as far as being aesthetically pleasing, if certainly not for being more practical.

Sarcasm

I have that ring that increases hp stam and load. Does taking my armor off make me much quicker? I only have like 20 load. Otherwise I notice the stam use is same. Armor or none.

Ridley327

I have that ring that increases hp stam and load. Does taking my armor off make me much quicker? I only have like 20 load. Otherwise I notice the stam use is same. Armor or none.

It makes you move around quicker, but your attack speed will always be the same with any of the weapons, barring situations where insufficient stats cripple you.

As far as I can tell, it works a bit like this:

<25% load=fastest movement, quick rolling
>25% but <50% load=normal movement, normal rolling
>50% load=slow movement, rolling working like you've been hit with Tranquil Walk

TheExodu5

Banned
Elite Knight 4 life. Seriously, I love the design of that entire set.

That said,
Ornstein's set
is its equal as far as being aesthetically pleasing, if certainly not for being more practical.

I'm actually a spear user, so I was contemplating going for that, along with the Dragon Slayer Spear. Seems like I'd need to go faith though. I guess it's not too late? I have 25vit, 25end, 16str, 16dex...didn't distribute points anywhere else yet (faith still at 8).

ArynCrinn

Banned
Fuck this game*

*I love it

Go roll a melee character and just roll dodge the first, chop off his tail, and kill him before the other one ever shows up. Protip, fire works wonders on the first one, lightning on the 2nd, you should have both buffs by now if you're doing it right.

Good times, noodle salad!

Grief.exe

I just remembered that I almost cancelled my preorder after the Eurogamer article about the locked resolution.
I decided not to since I got it for $20 and I had been anticipating the game for so long. I had a feeling a modder would be able to fix it, but I didn't know it would have been as fast as durante did.

I was just thinking about all that I would have missed out on. Would have been sad. I kinda feel bad for the people who did cancel.

Question about some bosses in the DLC:

I'm up to Manus and like Artorias before him my weapons do fuck all damage! I've been using two Balder Side Swords (+5 fire and +5 lightning) for all other parts of the game with no trouble. Are the bosses in the DLC strong against elemental stuff? Should I just upgrade a plain weapon and use that?

Someone has to know this, right?

Defuser

This game got a few good scare tactics.

I was at the
depths freeing pyro guy, I knew there was a second butcher roaming around near but I didn't see him at all even though I check the area so I decided to continue forward and open the door which leads to the bonfire. Upon opening the door I have gut feeling and decided to turn around and true enough the second butcher was behind me raising his cleaver to fuck me over but quickly dodge it and whoop his sorry ass. Quite a scare for me

2-Terms of Kombat
I bought this game almost a year ago and farted around with it a few times before getting frustrated and putting it back in its case. It was hearing about PtD and the influx of Souls threads that got me to dig it out and give it one more earnest try.

I'm glad I did. It's now one of my all-time favorites. I'm one of those guys I used to get annoyed by who gush about it. I still think the initial presentation/tutorial could use some work but other than that it's incredible.

Raxus

Question about the arenas. Do I risk anything for going in them? Will I go hollow if I die, will I lose souls, humanity, etc.? What do I gain besides notoriety?

Vaporak

I'm actually a spear user, so I was contemplating going for that, along with the Dragon Slayer Spear. Seems like I'd need to go faith though. I guess it's not too late? I have 25vit, 25end, 16str, 16dex...didn't distribute points anywhere else yet (faith still at 8).

I'm playing with the dragon slayer spear atm, and like it a lot. The faith scaling on the spear only increases the lightning damage though, and not very much compared to the str/dex which increases the physical damage. Faith does give you access to miracles though which can be handy. The spear doesn't seem to do great damage, but I love it for it's range and speed.

Top Bottom