• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

dino1980

I think I broke my controller...... sigh One of the buttons doesn't properly bounce back and the left stick is harder to push in now.

Throwing it against the wall doesn't help....

This game is ruining me.

Darksouls killer of controllers.

Rich!

Just gained 80,000 souls behind the locked door in the forest.

Hilarious how the ghosts and sorcerers just suicide over the cliff if you stand next to the steps. 6,000 souls gained each time, right next to a bonfire. Result!

Rich!

I could not see myself hurling a controller while playing PC games. big expensive monitor a foot away plus whatever else you may have on your desk could be easy targets for a throw gone wrong.

At least with the consoles you are probably in a living room with couches or something you can throw at.

Ha. My PC is linked up to my 52" HDTV in my living room, and I use a 360 controller. Lots of very expensive targets here.

But I wouldn't throw/break my controller anyway, as its fucking stupid to waste £25 worth of controller because of a game.

Bit more grown up than that.

Are there any shenanigans involved with backing up and re-using your save files with Dark Souls and GFWL? I found the custom dir in My Documents Dark Souls made, is it just as easy as copying and pasting that file?

Sarcasm

Are there any shenanigans involved with backing up and re-using your save files with Dark Souls and GFWL? I found the custom dir in My Documents Dark Souls made, is it just as easy as copying and pasting that file?

Care to explain more? I don't really understand Italian.

DUDE WTF! I killed the rat, and now those big eyed assholes cursed me! AND MY HP IS HALVED! WHAT THE HELL!?

I dont have a purge stone, nor do I know where Londo is. THIS IS LAME.... I might as well make a new character, half health I can't do anything anymore.....

So they essentially make it you can't win if you get cursed, this is bullshit.

I can't believe I have to start all over again.

Actually I quit because this is just terrible gameplay and design decisions. I do not know how people hail this, when you have design decisions that are on par with NES era.
lol, dat Dark Souls rage!

There are so many easy ways to solve this. If you can't handle the Depths, can't wait to hear your thoughts on Anor Londo archers etc.

Sarcasm

If you're referring to the video it just looks like using Fire Tempest on those phalanx mobs. They're very weak to fire and there's a bunch of them stacked together = easy souls next to a bonfire.

Ah

I been waiting on my summon that I put down near gargoyles..safe to say I won't be summoned? its been over 10m....prob due to my SL being 38?

I been waiting on my summon that I put down near gargoyles..safe to say I won't be summoned? its been over 10m....prob due to my SL being 38?
That's a tad high for the Gargoyles yeah. Are you putting your summon sign in the area just outside the Parish where the path to the blacksmith is - that's the go to area for summons there.

Gargoyles would usually be level 10-20 I'd say. At SL38 you'd get more action for Queelag and Sen's Fortress.

Sarcasm

That's a tad high for the Gargoyles yeah. Are you putting your summon sign in the area just outside the Parish where the path to the blacksmith is - that's the go to area for summons there.

Gargoyles would usually be level 10-20 I'd say. At SL38 you'd get more action for Queelag and Sen's Fortress.

I seen a couple of white ghosts...oh well.

wow that video. Fatty-run and roll and kind of bad spells to farm it aswell. But yeah it´s the best spot to farm but you can do it way faster than him if you can use miracles.

;)

I used the havel set with the havel ring for the video.

Consider to do this "trick" with a light set.

ArynCrinn

Banned
;)

I used the havel set with the havel ring for the video.

Consider to do this "trick" with a light set.

I use to do this all the time on PS3, but I was just using Great Chaos Fireball and Great Fireball to wipe them out. Chaos Tempest is a great tip though, will definitely use this technique to grow tons of soul levels before I tackle the DLC again in NG+++.

Sarcasm

About to head into blighttown from depths..any tips? Like anything on the walkways must get and shortcuts?

I also have a hollow shield +4 and a spider shield +0..I can upgrade the spider one...which to use?

didamangi

About to head into blighttown from depths..any tips? Like anything on the walkways must get and shortcuts?

I also have a hollow shield +4 and a spider shield +0..I can upgrade the spider one...which to use?

edit: read it wrong.

Spider shield is very good for Blight town, as well as a good poison resistance gear.

Dascu

Spider Shield is good for Blighttown. It has better resistance against poison and toxic.

IoCaster

I like this Anor Londo level. Other than the crazy archers shooting giant arrows at me and voracious chests everywhere. It's a really nice looking town. I found another blacksmith to tune my gear up for me, which was cool. Then I fought some giants, summoned Solaire, squared my shoulders and strutted through that foggy doorway...

btilc.gif

...shit. Alright, this is going to be a lot tougher than I thought. *sigh*

penitent? Huh? I guess that's a phrase, never heard that before.

Indiana Jones flick.

Sarcasm

I did try rolling behind but I got stuck than he swung THAN did an 180 mid swing. Than I was poisoned.

This. Game. Lol.

Had a mini rage tonight (more like a 'aww man' exclamation) as I was exploring the catacombs I was having so much fun and excitement not knowing what was around the next corner. I was racing past skeletons looking for the priests, falling down holes and having some unexpected meetings
with dark knights and pinwheels... so that's what you guys were talking about earlier
then I went a little too far and 'bumped' into the boss, someone had put a misleading message before the white mist.
But damn that was the most exciting battle I ever had. Winning it not knowing a single thing about it was awesome, but falling down a hole in the giant tomb place with my 30k souls and 3 humanity (more than I've had in a long time), and being blown off a ledge by a glowing head when going to recollect my soul was a lesson I hope I don't need to repeat again.

Man I love the sense of adventure and achievement in this game.

I did try rolling behind but I got stuck than he swung THAN did an 180 mid swing. Than I was poisoned.

This. Game. Lol.

I found approaching them till they start to wind up a swing then backtracking (no need for rolling) just out of range worked well for my build. They have a decent gap between attacks that allows you to walk back in smack them once or twice and strafe behind or back off again.

They were certainly my most hated enemy down there, even the toxic snipers and fire dogs didn't kill me as much as they did. They helped break in my claymore attack and retreat tactics.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I use to do this all the time on PS3, but I was just using Great Chaos Fireball and Great Fireball to wipe them out. Chaos Tempest is a great tip though, will definitely use this technique to grow tons of soul levels before I tackle the DLC again in NG+++.

My old setup for farming this was: naked (if low end) except a symbol of avarice and with a +4 elemental great scythe.

dsk1210

Was playing this last night in 3d vision with the equitza fix, plays great even when playing down sampled, not sure the AO was working though, but the depth of field looked
Lovely in 3d.

Anyome else tried it in 3d?

Iato is a nice one of a kind katana that you can't find anywhere else - the jump isn't too difficult. Eagle Shield has good stability/weight.

Make sure to have at least 3 or 4 purple blooming mosses on you too for the toxic, regular purple moss will not do - buy from undead female merchant, or farm in the forest from the trees.

rybrad

Looks like fatty and skinny in Anor Londo are now the first thing I have had trouble with in this game. Anyone have some suggestions on making the fight easier (sans summoning) as melee only? I have 0 attunement slots so while I am sure magic would help a lot, I can't use it.

Looks like fatty and skinny in Anor Londo are now the first thing I have had trouble with in this game. Anyone have some suggestions on making the fight easier (sans summoning) as melee only? I have 0 attunement slots so while I am sure magic would help a lot, I can't use it.

I believe I was quite overleveled, but I never really had much trouble with Ornstein and Smough.

If you want to kill Ornstein first (he's the skinny guy), just keep backing up, letting him approach you and hit him a couple of times while Smough is still far away. It takes a bit, but it's relatively safe depending on how well you can deal with Ornstein. Using a crossbow is a very slow but very easy way to do this.

If you want to kill Smough first, I definitely recommend summoning Solaire. He'd tank Ornstein and you can kill Smough relatively easy.

Kyosukemox

Neo Member

Kill Skinny first and Fatty second. I was using the Gravelord Sword +5 at the time, I'd roll to dodge to the side and sweep at their HP (took a couple of hits for each of them to go down 7-9hits). Fatty is slow and predictable jsut make sure to space yourself so that Skinny does his charge attack towards you which you will sidestep.

EDIT: I was SL30 when I beat them in NG and SL60 in NG+

For O&S Keep your equipment load low so you can fast roll, or DWGR ninja flip - either way.

Whoever you kill last is the one who's armour and soul you get, so take that into consideration for the fight. I think they're weak to fire too.

m31

Hmm, started this yesterday. Today when I log in the Load Game option is unavailable. I did log out safely and all, didn't turn the game off or anything like that. Anyone else had this problem?

Want my save back :(

Dascu

For O&S Keep your equipment load low so you can fast roll, or DWGR ninja flip - either way.

Whoever you kill last is the one who's armour and soul you get, so take that into consideration for the fight. I think they're weak to fire too.

Honestly, I took the opposite approach and tanked it with my Havel armor and a Grass Crest Shield. Worked well.

FtHTiny

If you are solo take solaire with you as summon. Let him take one guy and seperate them. Finish one guy in the second phase use the pillars and kite around them to heal and so on.
The crystal weapon from the mimic in anor londo does some good dmg on them.

Hmm, started this yesterday. Today when I log in the Load Game option is unavailable. I did log out safely and all, didn't turn the game off or anything like that. Anyone else had this problem?

Want my save back :(

That sounds shitty.

After Durantes fix GFWL is the only ugly pimple on this games otherwise beautiful face. I'm constantly worried about losing saves too.

m31

That sounds shitty.

After Durantes fix GFWL is the only ugly pimple on this games otherwise beautiful face. I'm constantly worried about losing saves too.

Yeah, googled it and seems some people have had this issue with xbox version. Save file not being corrupted but completely disappeared. Seems like there was not a clear solution to this. :( Trying to re-install the game now. I was only some hours in but still. Damn I was looking forward to continuing my save the whole day and now this. :D

Just got the game. Know pretty much nothing about it. Lend my 360 controller to someone but getting it back tomorow. Going to create a char and mess around with Durantes fix.

Excited to actually start playing though :3

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I see people post "fastest way to farm souls" stuff all the time that seems like a lot of grinding.

Honestly? The best way to get a shit-ton of souls is to hang around boss areas and help other players beat bosses. Back on the PS3 version I used to farm humanity at the baby skeleton area before Nito's boss chamber and throw down my soul sign.

Would have about 50 humanity and 500k souls from just thirty minutes of skeleton slaying.

Best bosses to do this for are Snorlax & Pikachu, Nito and maybe other Lord Soul carriers.

1323119782398.jpg

Ashler

Just got the game. Know pretty much nothing about it. Lend my 360 controller to someone but getting it back tomorow. Going to create a char and mess around with Durantes fix.

Excited to actually start playing though :3

EnjoY. Try not to read about anything about the game, even when you're stuck. take a break instead. The adrenaline rush/satisfaction of figuring something out for yourself in this game is amazing. :)

Zeliard

I see people post "fastest way to farm souls" stuff all the time that seems like a lot of grinding.

Honestly? The best way to get a shit-ton of souls is to hang around boss areas and help other players beat bosses. Back on the PS3 version I used to farm humanity at the baby skeleton area before Nito's boss chamber and throw down my soul sign.

Would have about 50 humanity and 500k souls from just thirty minutes of skeleton slaying.

Yep.

The only things actually worth farming for are chunks and slabs. Stuff like souls and humanity are much better gotten through co-op unless you're really that eager to glitch forest enemies and kill rats in the Depths.

Top Bottom