• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ridley327

Also, I should mention that it has now become a habit of mine that upon the defeat of the invader, I have to use the prayer so I can complete their humiliation of being Tebow'd, on top of everything else.

Zzoram

Cool, thanks for the info. Does the weapon ascension stuff work on all blacksmiths? Since I gave the embers I had to Andre I figured I had to go to him for all of that stuff.

Different blacksmiths do different weapon upgrades. Andre with the right embers is the only one who can take normal weapons past +5.

Zeliard

Actually it does.

Level design was fine. The invisible walkways with only snow to show where it is or messages sucks dick.

Those walkways are part of the level design. You can hate them all you want but let's try to keep definitions straight.

d0c_zaius

Nope, that dubious honor goes to Black Knight Great Axe. Zwei is good (even in PvP despite what some theory fighters might have you believe), but far from OP.

black knight sword too.

and lol @ the "level design is fine but the invisible walkways suck". THIS IS DARK SOULS SON.

really? even in ng+?

I've not yet fought them in NG+, but my method for fighting them was super simple; I don't even think you'd need to be strength oriented but poise helps. I was using fully upgraded Black Iron Armour with a Man-Serpent Greatsword +15, using it two-handed of course.

Just get close and stay close. Half of their swinging attacks just went over my head and when they did use magic I just chugged a flask (or the "invincibility button" I call it) the moment the magic hit to negate most of the damage. I was able to get in four or five swings of my greatsword before my stamina ran out and I think I was doing maybe 200-300 per hit.

Zeliard

If you want to kick back and farm stuff, farm chunks and slabs from the Darkwraiths in New Londo after draining the water.

Varvor

Well, shit. Been trying to get into the darkwraith covenant early but the four kings are slaughtering me. Only SL16 right now... Might have to retire the idea of getting in on a low level for now. I'd like to try to take the time to learn how to fight them, but the trip to the boss room is a pain in the ass.

You have several options for you to use.

Equip Havel Armor, get a powerful weapon.....lightning works fine......also if you did NPC summons for Moonlight butterfly you can summon same NPC for Four Kings.

I got my SL1 in to that covenant this way.minus the NPC summon.....i found out about ti after :(

You have several options for you to use.

Equip Havel Armor, get a powerful weapon.....lightning works fine......also if you did NPC summons for Moonlight butterfly you can summon same NPC for Four Kings.

I got my SL1 in to that covenant this way.minus the NPC summon.....i found out about ti after :(
Didn't have havels armor as at the time I'd only killed pinwheel and sif. Hadn't tried summoning the npc but I don't know how much of a difference it would have made. Ended up just clearing everything up through Ceaseless Discharge and leveling up to 40. I'll try it again at a low level when I attempt a real SL1 playthrough.

Gvaz

Banned
black knight sword too.

and lol @ the "level design is fine but the invisible walkways suck". THIS IS DARK SOULS SON.

ITS NOT HARD

ITS FRUSTRATING

This isn't a matter of GET BETTER

It's a matter of Oops you did something wrong by .01% SUCKS TO BE YOU

FUCK YOU DARK SOULS

Let me tell you a short storyGAF. Just earlier today, I had a dream where I was playing Dark Souls.

3eaYW.png

The place doesn't belong in any part of the game (nor any game). I was using the exact same character I was using on my regular game, which was a Pyro, Drake/Spear, BK Shield and Knight set + Gargoyle helm.

I was walking down a very tight set of stairs, dimly lit by a few torches adorned across the walls. At the foot of the staircase, I saw it: an invader. He had the red glowing silhouette, carrying a standard sword+shield. But this was wrong. When I play Dark Souls, I avoid getting Human form because I don't like getting invaded. If I do have to go Human to kindle, I always force the game to go offline mode. I just hate the idea of getting invaded at the most inconvenient time.

I raised my shield and tried to bait him. He took a slash, so I quickly approached him and hit him with my Drake Sword which took off an okay amount of damage. I sighed a relief, because it doesn't seem like he's using a trainer. However, right after that, he did something I've never seen. He cast a spell which put some kind of very small circle on the floor that looks like molten lava. I know I don't want to get anywhere near it, but he cast another spell and he appeared behind me. I raised my shield again but he kicked me towards the molten lava. My knight stumbled, almost falling to the lava. Panicking, I tried rolling upwards the stairs. I managed to get past him and ran upwards. However, somehow he ran towards me and got me stuck to him. He walked towards the lava while dragging my knight along with him. My knight ran and rolled, but he still got dragged. Finally, he kicked me down the lava and I died.

I was wondering WTF just happened so I thought of asking GAF about it. I quit the game then I woke up at 4 in the morning. 6 hours later, I'm posting about it.

Gvaz

Banned
How hard is it to follow the snowflakes? Or is that only offline?
I can't tell if they're falling on the outline of where I should walk, or the middle of the column, or just randomly.

I settled for running where the snowflakes landed and shooting the ground in front of me to see if arrows stuck or not before moving on.

I can't tell if they're falling on the outline of where I should walk, or the middle of the column, or just randomly.

I settled for running where the snowflakes landed and shooting the ground in front of me to see if arrows stuck or not before moving on.

Funny I just walked in the general direction of the next one and never fell off.

So I have a lightening pike+5 and a chaos pike+5 and the damage seems a bit anemic in ng+. My character has no stats that will scale weapons. What should I get?

Gestahl

The required path is basically a straight line when you know it, what fucking infuriated me about the Crystal Caves is that they trick you down the third invisible walkway where the mega golem and corpse is when there's nothing that direction and you have to walk across the first crystal beam, while your character's flailing around and looking as if they're about to slip off into the nothingness below every second, to actually make progress. Terribly designed place.

2AdEPT

I've lost count of the humanity I've lost trying to defeat Four Kings.... RAAAAGEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't have havels armor as at the time I'd only killed pinwheel and sif. Hadn't tried summoning the npc but I don't know how much of a difference it would have made. Ended up just clearing everything up through Ceaseless Discharge and leveling up to 40. I'll try it again at a low level when I attempt a real SL1 playthrough.

Yeah 4 kings go down quick in early game but you have to remember to stay in close and mash R1 with as much buffed stanina as you cna afford -
i.e.grass shield on back, grass if you found any, childs mask if you got it from pinwheel, cloranthy ring from the hollow....
obvioulsy if a 2nd king comes your cooked so two hadn and keep swinging...high dps low stamina cost weapons are best....I never foudn the witch useful but a couple extra hits helps if you can afford humanity to hire her.

Havels gear is great but early game you won't have it...so use the stone armour...almost the same stats as havels....found in the garden near sif.

ArynCrinn

Banned
What really sucks about the Crystal Caves, especially if you're offline, is going down to the 2nd Silver Golem to grab the pickup and kill him. If you manage to survive the fight in a area where it's super easy to get pushed off, you still need to go UP back to the other walkway. It sucks.

But arrows and prism stones work, and it's definitely a great area that takes advantage of messages in a new way.

Hypron

I just realised yesterday that I can still do medium rolls while wearing the strongest armour in the game (Giant's set + 5). It's so good being able to reduce damage that much while still staying relatively mobile. It looks very cool on top of that!

I've got 3 bosses left in NG+, and then I'll just need to finish the Knight's honour (who thought it was a good idea to make the chaneller's trident compulsory for this?) and the Prayer of the Maiden (farming souvenirs of reprisal is going to be fun...) achievements and I'll have the 1000Gs (again).

Zeliard

But arrows and prism stones work, and it's definitely a great area that takes advantage of messages in a new way.

I love both Crystal Cave and Tomb of the Giants for the way in which they force the player to navigate the level in an even more methodical, careful way than usual. They heavily punish the impatient and careless.

2AdEPT

I've 1m of souls and i don't know how to use them.
Not cool.

I'll also probably lost them altogether with the next Boss.
Make sure to use a ring of sacrifice on areas that you feel you might die....otherwise spend those on upgrading weapons and armour. If you get enough choices for weapons maxed (i.e. 1-2 chaos, 1-2 lightning, 1-2 +15 non-elementals) then branch into some bows. Once you do all htat you can get all your consumables to 99...poison arrows, dung pie, homeward bones, etc etc etc. THe easiest way to blow a million souls fast is to fully upgrade your avelyn to lightning and buy 999 lightning bols for it!! :p

All defense + pyromancy. Ill probably just have to pump up attunement a bit and rely more on pyro spells.

Spears are good for movesets but are beatable in certain situtations...a good compliment to your repetoire of good piercing moveset, wouldbe slashing - washing pole katanas etc. and a sweeping - great scythe or gargoyule halbred. Keeping these phyiscal dmamge +15 plus addingthe buffs like the other poster mentioned really will improve your damage, and enjoyment....I really like the spears myself but by the time you get to NG+ the moveset is too redundant. Try washing pole +15 with darkmoon blade or sunlight buff from gwyndolin and tell me you are not mowing down things in NG+!!

Going strength with one character (with a little faith mind you) I tried out the dragon great axe with sunlight buff....the r2 drops 400 damage in AOE even if you MISS within a reasonable area of the enemy - 800 if you connect. MOst PVE mobs can be knocked down with certain strenght weapons..even the DEmon's spear ifyou must stick with spears!!! NOthing like sending mobs flying like bowling pins! THe spears just wont do that (well except for the demon's spear but the wind up is extra long as a result.)

So I have a lightening pike+5 and a chaos pike+5 and the damage seems a bit anemic in ng+. My character has no stats that will scale weapons. What should I get?

you carrying round lots of humanities for that chaos pike? it will scale damage up per active humanity to a max of 10. Otherwise look into other weapons, if you can get any kinds of buffs take something to +15 and buff it. or find something with a higher base damage to upgrade that fits your stats, might have to trade reach for damage.

All defense + pyromancy. Ill probably just have to pump up attunement a bit and rely more on pyro spells.

All defense + pyromancy.

All defense

please tell me you didn't put any points into resistance..

Grief.exe

ITS NOT HARD

ITS FRUSTRATING

This isn't a matter of GET BETTER

It's a matter of Oops you did something wrong by .01% SUCKS TO BE YOU

FUCK YOU DARK SOULS

Try shooting arrows at the ground and they will stick in the invisible walkways.

The first time I went through there was today and I fel off and I cracked up and said, "thats Dark Souls." I mean what are you gonna do.

Top Bottom