• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

NBtoaster

I see people post "fastest way to farm souls" stuff all the time that seems like a lot of grinding.

Honestly? The best way to get a shit-ton of souls is to hang around boss areas and help other players beat bosses. Back on the PS3 version I used to farm humanity at the baby skeleton area before Nito's boss chamber and throw down my soul sign.

Would have about 50 humanity and 500k souls from just thirty minutes of skeleton slaying.

That is probably the best place to farm but unfortunately is in the least friendly or accessable part of the world.

so I'm playing a dex/int char SL 20's with winged spear (though I think the halberd is a better weapon) and planning on using a light sword like balder side sword or longsword with goal of magic weapons when available

should I be allocating a bunch of points in endurance early game? its a lot harder to know where to put points since my STR char kept finding new cooler STR weapons so it was a no brainer to increase it a bunch, but with Dex that virtually doesnt happen

I plan on picking up the ring that gives you 50%+ equip load, so stamina would be primary point of the endurance.

BTW game is WAAAAY more fun not "easy mode-ing" with the early super weapons like the 80/80 Faith sword or drake sword. gets me to use all the weapons and try them out.

Grief.exe

Yeah, googled it and seems some people have had this issue with xbox version. Save file not being corrupted but completely disappeared. Seems like there was not a clear solution to this. :( Trying to re-install the game now. I was only some hours in but still. Damn I was looking forward to continuing my save the whole day and now this. :D

That kind of random save loss or corruption is pretty common with gfwl. Even without any user input or error, the system just does it for she reason. They will never bother fixing it because they don't give a shit.

I've heard of it happening with just about every gfwl game I can think of. Hopefully it comes back, but remember to use Durante's or game save manager's backup systems.

Sarcasm

I see people post "fastest way to farm souls" stuff all the time that seems like a lot of grinding.

Honestly? The best way to get a shit-ton of souls is to hang around boss areas and help other players beat bosses. Back on the PS3 version I used to farm humanity at the baby skeleton area before Nito's boss chamber and throw down my soul sign.

Would have about 50 humanity and 500k souls from just thirty minutes of skeleton slaying.

Best bosses to do this for are Snorlax & Pikachu, Nito and maybe other Lord Soul carriers.

1323119782398.jpg

25 faith to do what?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
25 faith to do what?
Join the Sun Bros covenant. I think they reduced or removed the requirements since then though. Basically makes your sign appear golden like Solaire's and allows you to be seen by almost all the good covenant players and gives you a sun medal for helping a player beat a boss in co-op.

Raxus

25 faith to do what?

It is for a covenant, it was 50 before the nerf.

The covenant (along with 2 others) prioritizes your summon sign above others making it more likely you are summoned. If you do not have online enabled you can farm sunlight medals off the chaos bugs pretty easily.

Join the Sun Bros covenant. I think they reduced or removed the requirements since then though. Basically makes your sign appear golden like Solaire's and allows you to be seen by almost all the good covenant players and gives you a sun medal for helping a player beat a boss in co-op.
Also every time you help another player successfully (beat a boss) the faith req drops by 5.

Wow, this game is really unplayable with keyboard + mouse, need to pick up a soul, can't even figure out what key it is, and the camera is so shitty with the mouse. Oh well, will have to wait 'till I get my controller back :(

The atmosphere of dread is too much for me in Blightown, as obsessed as I am with this game right now I couldn't bring myself to play for a few hours after work, I was way to tired to put myself through that punishment.

I think I will call in sick on Monday and play all day.

rybrad

Thanks for all the O&S tips, lots of good things to try out tonight. If Solaire dies during the fight I assume he is dead for good so that is a one-shot deal trying to use him, correct?

Also, is there anywhere to farm Demon Titanite? I killed all the headless things I have found but don't have enough to get my weapon to +5. I really should have tried to figure out how the crafting worked earlier as I am regretting waiting now.

EasyMode

Thanks for all the O&S tips, lots of good things to try out tonight. If Solaire dies during the fight I assume he is dead for good so that is a one-shot deal trying to use him, correct?

Also, is there anywhere to farm Demon Titanite? I killed all the headless things I have found but don't have enough to get my weapon to +5. I really should have tried to figure out how the crafting worked earlier as I am regretting waiting now.

If Solaire dies while summoned it's not permanent, and you can keep trying so long as you're human.

Have you
killed the 4 titanite demons at the bottom of Sen's Fortress? Be wary though, because 2 of them have a ton of health.

saxman717

Banned
Seriously, fuck Ornstein & Smough. I finally had two humanities to burn so I could summon people. We killed Ornstein, and then at half of Smough's health the guy I summoned died + Solaire died. Then after some hit & run I died.

Twice.

Now I don't have any humanity left. Fuuuuuuuuuu

LOL ---- -I think I was the guy you summoned ---- was it aguy who used lots of soul spears and great heavy soul arrows along w/ a few fire orbs later on?

We were pretty close............tough break having me die, then soltaire die one after the other ---- keep trying!

Jintor

I tried but nobody was picking up a party in Ando Londo :T

I am lvl 53 though so that might have something to do with it

LOL ---- -I think I was the guy you summoned ---- was it aguy who used lots of soul spears and great heavy soul arrows along w/ a few fire orbs later on?

We were pretty close............tough break having me die, then soltaire die one after the other ---- keep trying!

Nope, wasn't me!

And FUCK YES I finally killed them. I farmed for about 12 humanities so I could kindle the bonfire in Anor Londo to 15 flasks and so that I could summon people for a while. It took me one summon, but I guess you can never have enough humanity. I'm wondering where I should go next after Anor Londo.

Love that you can (Not a story spoiler)
warp between bonfires now.

Alright, what's the keyboard key for the A button on the 360 controller? Tried every key, enter, e, whatever, looked at all the commands in the options menu, but I can't pick up this damned soul in my cellar, nor open the door =/

Guess this is my first Dark Souls challenge, can't even get out of the cell I start in ;_;

Edit: Nvm, it's q, how I missed that I don't know.

For O&S Keep your equipment load low so you can fast roll, or DWGR ninja flip - either way.

Whoever you kill last is the one who's armour and soul you get, so take that into consideration for the fight. I think they're weak to fire too.

I beat them on my first character on the PC so easily it wasn't funny.

Second character / new build - I *almost* resorted to cheating, my boyfriend walks in and notices that I'm not taking damage and I felt such a wave of guilt/shame I alt-F4'd, and restored to a pre-cheat save I had from the day before. I still feel dirty about even looking up a trainer/loading it up.

Then, he asks 'want me to try?' (he had just spent 2 days stuck on them before me), calmly destroys them on his first attempt while half in the bag after a few beers and a bottle of wine....talk about humiliating :p

Was maddening, up until O&S I was /destroying/ the game with my new character/build, then total stone-wall on O&S when I had beat them easily on my character before.

Lombax

Banned
Nope, wasn't me!

And FUCK YES I finally killed them. I farmed for about 12 humanities so I could kindle the bonfire in Anor Londo to 15 flasks and so that I could summon people for a while. It took me one summon, but I guess you can never have enough humanity. I'm wondering where I should go next after Anor Londo.

Love that you can (Not a story spoiler)
warp between bonfires now.

Perhaps try the new content

Sarcasm

Alright, what's the keyboard key for the A button on the 360 controller? Tried every key, enter, e, whatever, looked at all the commands in the options menu, but I can't pick up this damned soul in my cellar, nor open the door =/

Guess this is my first Dark Souls challenge, can't even get out of the cell I start in ;_;

Edit: Nvm, it's q, how I missed that I don't know.

ibzWdFfDB9xnSY.jpg

For a larger image: http://i.minus.com/i7fM1uEhRMkHx.jpg

KarmaCow

What the fuck at the Tomb of Giants. Am I missing something or
am I suppose to inch forward in the dark while being pelted with giant arrows?

What the fuck at the Tomb of Giants. Am I missing something or
am I suppose to inch forward in the dark while being pelted with giant arrows?

You can use the Light sorcery (you get it from the girl trapped inside a Gold Golem where the first Hydra was), use one of those Sunlight Maggots as a helmet (the bugs in the Lost Izalith shortcut) or use that lantern thingie of the Necromancers.

Sanic

Is being summoned the best way to grind for souls? Is there any point in the game where ill probably NEED to grind? Just sorta doing it for fun now.

Is being summoned the best way to grind for souls? Is there any point in the game where ill probably NEED to grind? Just sorta doing it for fun now.

Gotta do a rough calculation on souls/minute. There's a spot in darkroot which may be better.

Hosting in invasion hotspots is generally best, if you're good at PvP.

rybrad

If Solaire dies while summoned it's not permanent, and you can keep trying so long as you're human.

Have you
killed the 4 titanite demons at the bottom of Sen's Fortress? Be wary though, because 2 of them have a ton of health.
Well that is good news about Solaire, I will give him a chance for glory.

For the tianite demons, I did indeed kill all of them in Sen's which was super fun with the muck killing your movement speed

Considering that people can beat the game at SL1, the 'need to grind' comes down to player skill. I've often found that simply grinding levels doesn't yield that drastic of a power-increase.

I've generally done grinding to get souls to buy upgrade mats/etc, or if I'm a few stat points behind using a specific item.

Darkroot / Painted World have some decent grinding spots, Darkroot is really fast at lower levels, and available fairly early on (need 20k souls to open the door, you can regain those souls in a matter of minutes).

If you can find an active area where you get summoned quickly -- it may be the more fun route than throwing enemies off of a cliff for hours on end.

Dascu

DLC stuff:

Just beat Knight Artorias, after just shy of a dozen tries. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this battle (over and over). It was a straight-forward, no-nonsense fight where at the end of it you can easily read all his moves and dodge or block accordingly. Also helps that you can run over there from the Oolacile bonfire rather quickly.

TAlso, is there anywhere to farm Demon Titanite? I killed all the headless things I have found but don't have enough to get my weapon to +5. I really should have tried to figure out how the crafting worked earlier as I am regretting waiting now.
The Titanite Demon on the bridge between Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins is farmable since it spawns back unlike all the others. The run isn't that far from the
secret
Izalith bonfire and you can hit up the tentacle monsters on your way if you're doing a farming run - they drop red chunks and slabs.

PrimeRib_

I believe I was quite overleveled, but I never really had much trouble with Ornstein and Smough.

If you want to kill Ornstein first (he's the skinny guy), just keep backing up, letting him approach you and hit him a couple of times while Smough is still far away. It takes a bit, but it's relatively safe depending on how well you can deal with Ornstein. Using a crossbow is a very slow but very easy way to do this.

If you want to kill Smough first, I definitely recommend summoning Solaire. He'd tank Ornstein and you can kill Smough relatively easy.

Actually, I was watching a video from ENB (the guy's a god at this game) and he was up close in Ornstein's grill, bascially hacking into his crotch. At this distance, the overhead slash he performs cannot hit you, leaving only his butt slam move (which is avoidable by rolling away). Made it look super easy this way.

KarmaCow

You can use the Light sorcery (you get it from the girl trapped inside a Gold Golem where the first Hydra was), use one of those Sunlight Maggots as a helmet (the bugs in the Lost Izalith shortcut) or use that lantern thingie of the Necromancers.

I'll check out that first thing but I don't know what you mean by the second and I haven't found a lantern anywhere.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
how the fuck do you kill the last boss

Parry him.

Just block him (dodge the kick and grab) until he starts a specific chain of attacks that starts with a really quick downward slash that he swings down from his left shoulder. He'll always, always follow this up with a 2nd attack. The 2nd attack is raelly easy to parry

I'll check out that first thing but I don't know what you mean by the second and I haven't found a lantern anywhere.

Did you complete Lost Izalith? If so, there's a path blocked by a respawnable Titanite Demon that leads to a shortcut to Demon's Ruins (can only be opened the other way by being a Chaos Servant +2), full of little bugs. Those bugs can drop a helmet that illuminates the entire area.

The lantern is dropped by Necromancers, not a high rate to do so though.

TheMixta43

Neo Member
Just realised how easy
farming humanity in the Chasm of the Abyss is. Had my Symbol of Avarice and 10 Humanity on hand from farming for Red and Blue Slabs and couldn't believe how often those spirits drop Humanity/Twin Humanities. You could easily get 10 Humanity a run really quickly if you Homeward Bone to the bonfire. Just a much quicker way to get humanity than the Duke's Archives or Tomb of Giants methods, I guess you don't get many souls this way though.

Anteater

The Necromancers in the Catacombs drop the skull lantern I think, if not you could find one in one of the chests in tomb of the giants.

KarmaCow

I'm guessing Lost Izalith is an area after Demon Ruins then because I only just peeked in there.

And Necromancers don't seem to respawn as far as I can tell and I didn't get a lantern from any of them. Maybe I missed one but I got lost in the Catacombs so I spent a lot of time running around that area and it seems like I can kill all the skeletons without them reforming.

I'm guessing Lost Izalith is an area after Demon Ruins then because I only just peeked in there.

And Necromancers don't seem to respawn as far as I can tell and I didn't get a lantern from any of them. Maybe I missed one but I got lost in the Catacombs so I spent a lot of time running around that area and it seems like I can kill all the skeletons without them reforming.
You might be able to find the lantern in a chest in the Tomb, but if you can't find it, definitely the best bet is going back to Darkroot Basin, kill the Gold Golem, talk to the girl who was inside, and then buy the Cast Light sorcery.

The Necromancers don't respawn but you can get a skull lantern off a body in ToG
in the pit right where you land after your chat with Patches!

You hold it up like a shield though, so if you've been Lost Izalith already, it's worth going back to get the Sunlight Maggot and then homeboning back to where you were.

Eusis

For the tianite demons, I did indeed kill all of them in Sen's which was super fun with the muck killing your movement speed
There's a ring to fix movement speed for times like that, it's
in the Undead Asylum, that one corpse you couldn't reach past a locked door. You need a key though, it's one the roof of a building at Firelink Shrine, you should be able to see it on the stairway up to the next.

Oh man, rage induced mistakes! I for once avoided throwing controllers... in favor of straight up deleting my save files. I immediately had a mixture of regret and morbid fascination with seeing if they could be recovered, and used Recuva to get them back. If I hadn't been making backups they'd be corrupted, but as it was I was able to get back a slightly older save. At least that served to sober me up and be calmer and slow down!

I beat the boss in the depths after a whole bunch of tries and before I could pick up whatever the hell he dropped GFWL disconnected itself and I was immediately booted back to the menu. Guess I'm done for the day.

Also, I kept summoning Solaire, but forgot that he was an npc. I was like "this guy sucks, but props for being patient enough to help me like 9 times in a row."

Raide

Just wondering...

Is Stealth an option here? Dagger wielding, stealthing around and backstabbing stuff, or is the Sword/Shield combo king?

What about ranged combat? Worth playing with bows or are they a secondary weapon to just snipe a few things?

Is heavily armoured with low roll mobility feasible, or will I get my ass kicked over and over?

Just wondering...

Is Stealth an option here? Dagger wielding, stealthing around and backstabbing stuff, or is the Sword/Shield combo king?

What about ranged combat? Worth playing with bows or are they a secondary weapon to just snipe a few things?

Is heavily armoured with low roll mobility feasible, or will I get my ass kicked over and over?

Aiming the bows is janky as hell. I keep one with a grip of arrows because occasionally you can take out a powerful enemy from safety, but you don't want to use it as a primary weapon.

Top Bottom