• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

PrimeRib_

I can't tell if they're falling on the outline of where I should walk, or the middle of the column, or just randomly.

I settled for running where the snowflakes landed and shooting the ground in front of me to see if arrows stuck or not before moving on.

Shooting arrows works well, as do prism stones (if you have any) and in a pinch, spears to strike the floor with.

King Boo

one of the best things about the game are the blood stains and regular blue ghost visions your character sees. i just love seeing someone fall off a cliff.
i have fallen to my death a few times too

Maedhros

Just defeated the two gargoiles and ringed the first bell. Solaire gave me a little help. Got the Gargoile Helm as drop too. :)

It made the maiden set almost as good as a medium armor set. Just no poise. If you want to go elemental and have little need for armor, go ahead.

I'd rather put the levels into vitality instead.

Yeah I'll be fine thanks ;) I ran maiden with wolf ring for a long time on one character (magic focused build) but eventually switched it out for maiden skirt + some thorn armour

Just wanted to see if anyone had bothered to pimp one out :p

well, in a nutshell: fun, cool, looks great, useless.

Ridley327

At last!

4D706B3EABA31027863425599B80D749B6A43764

Also, FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU @ accidentally ascending my Zweihander to crystal rather than lightning.

Sarcasm

I got my longsword to +5....how do I upgrade it more? And what path? Also the dude at church is asking for my large ember...do I give him?

Raxus

At last!
Also, FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU @ accidentally ascending my Zweihander to crystal rather than lightning.

You can undo that. Talk to a blacksmith and click the last tab. He will downgrade it down to +10-+5 or something.
I got my longsword to +5....how do I upgrade it more? And what path? Also the dude at church is asking for my large ember...do I give him?
Yes. When you do click modify weapon and get your longsword to +6 and it will be unlocked to upgrade to +10

Smash88

Banned
I beat that big dragon thing in the sewers and entered Blighttown, I am really lost and I found a bonfire in some open space, I went left but there was nothing there. Lost 8 humanity :(

I am completely lost, I want to kill that big rat I saw, but I fell down some hole, and I could never get back up there. Made me sad.

Anyone know where the hell I'm supposed to go?

PrimeRib_

depends on the embers you have. in order to continue to upgrade to +10, you need the very large ember, found in New Londo.

you carrying round lots of humanities for that chaos pike? it will scale damage up per active humanity to a max of 10. Otherwise look into other weapons, if you can get any kinds of buffs take something to +15 and buff it. or find something with a higher base damage to upgrade that fits your stats, might have to trade reach for damage.

please tell me you didn't put any points into resistance..

No, vitality and endurance. I have been keeping a stack of 10 humanity most of the time and farm rats regularly.

PrimeRib_

I beat that big dragon thing in the sewers and entered Blighttown, I am really lost and I found a bonfire in some open space, I went left but there was nothing there. Lost 8 humanity :(

I am completely lost, I want to kill that big rat I saw, but I fell down some hole, and I could never get back up there. Made me sad.

Sorry, editing post. You're in Blighttown. You'll see a pathway of ladders going down and a giant tentacle thing on the wall. Basically, Blighttown is all about a pathway dowward to the toxic swamp in order to defeat Quelogg

Eusis

So give him the large ember? Is there more blacksmiths? If so does this go for all?
Give all embers to any willing to take them. I'm honestly not even sure why the game gives you the option, only one blacksmith can use each one and you can't carry them over to NG+ anyway.

Zeliard

From the first bonfire you just keep going straight in the same direction. Your objective is to eventually get down to the swamp at the bottom. There's another bonfire there as well.

Don't miss the ladders. They are usually marked with torches.

2real4tv

LOL..Sorry can't help but laugh at this, continue down.

PrimeRib_

So give him the large ember? Is there more blacksmiths? If so does this go for all?

The game has more than 1 blacksmith, and each "specializes" in differing ascensions. They will "ask" you for the ember outright so you can't give it to the wrong blacksmith. Always give them the ember, and you will be able to ascend different weapons (+10, Fire, Lightning, Divine, etc). Most of the embers are not in the starting zones, so you'll have to plug away for awhile - without spoiling where (locations are found easily on the numerous Wikis)

Sarcasm

So I gave but I can't do anything with my longsword..stuck @ +5....

Nvm figured it out. I got it to +8 now!

Though it gave me option for raw too...but meh I went for +8. I don't know whats good raw vs reg vs fire vs lightning >.>

You can get to the rat by going back to where the big butcher guy was and dropping down a hole near the chest where you found the large ember. There's a shortcut back to the bonfire near the blighttown enterence. As for blighttown you need to work your way down to the swamp using ladders and such. Its a bit of a maze but ladders always have torches near them to make spotting them easier.

Sarcasm

You can get to the rat by going back to where the big butcher guy was and dropping down a hole near the chest where you found the large ember. There's a shortcut back to the bonfire near the blighttown enterence. As for blighttown you need to work your way down to the swamp using ladders and such. Its a bit of a maze but ladders always have torches near them to make spotting them easier.

If you do jump down where that dog and butcher guy in kitchen was make sure to walk around and pick up the item before jumping down to the rat.

Smash88

Banned

Where is the shortcut exactly? All I saw at the beginning of Blighttown was a big open hole, and a ladder, and then wooden platform and ladder.
Detailed instructions on finding the shortcut would be awesome.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Playing this game for the first time so everything is pretty much new, save for some bosses I saw on streams.

Sarcasm

Where is the shortcut exactly? All I saw at the beginning of Blighttown was a big open hole, and a ladder, and then wooden platform and ladder.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Playing this game for the first time so everything is pretty much new, save for some bosses I saw on streams.

Do you know where the bonfire is that is near the like 8 slimes? Well if you go back up to where that giant pool was that had two dogs and a zombie..go up the small stairs and you should see the kitchen with the chest that has that Large Ember you got. If you destroy the boxes to the right of the chest there is a hole..jump down there..get item and than jump down and fight the rat.

The shortcut is just to the left of the door coming back to the depths from blighttown. It goes to the bonfire at the beginning of the depths where you can backtrack to the butcher area.

Smash88

Banned
DUDE WTF! I killed the rat, and now those big eyed assholes cursed me! AND MY HP IS HALVED! WHAT THE HELL!?

I dont have a purge stone, nor do I know where Londo is. THIS IS LAME.... I might as well make a new character, half health I can't do anything anymore.....

So they essentially make it you can't win if you get cursed, this is bullshit.

I can't believe I have to start all over again.

Actually I quit because this is just terrible gameplay and design decisions. I do not know how people hail this, when you have design decisions that are on par with NES era.

Ledsen

So has anyone ever found (secret area spoiler)
The Great Hollow
without being told by someone/reading about it? Seems to me like it's akin to kneeling for 10 minutes in Simon's Quest, impossible to find out on your own. I happened to read about it and now I know, but if I hadn't I would've missed it since I was already at the entrance without knowing.

DUDE WTF! I killed the rat, and now those big eyed assholes cursed me! AND MY HP IS HALVED! WHAT THE HELL!?

I dont have a purge stone, nor do I know where Londo is. THIS IS LAME.... I might as well make a new character, half health I can't do anything anymore.....

Actually I quit because this is just terrible gameplay and design decisions. I do not know how people hail this, when you have design decisions that are on par with NES era.

Huh? You don't have to go to Londo, I bought quite a few before going to The Depths... you can get them from the mage guy in the Parish or the zombie woman in the Burg. No need to start over at all. Calm down.

Eusis

It's a slow grind with half HP, but once you get 3000 souls you can go back up to the belltower and buy a purge stone, or just buy one from the undead female merchant for double the price. So you don't HAVE to start over, just that this is one of those instances where it's more unfair bullshit design then a good challenge.

EDIT: Beaten, but it's good to know the price to expect.

You can buy purging stones from the NPC that appears in the bell tower after you ring the first bell for 3K souls

Beaten...twice!

The Great Hollow
without being told by someone/reading about it? Seems to me like it's akin to kneeling for 10 minutes in Simon's Quest, impossible to find out on your own. I happened to read about it and now I know, but if I hadn't I would've missed it since I was already at the entrance without knowing.

I actually looked it up
because I figured the path leading up to the tree had to be of some significance

ArynCrinn

Banned
The Great Hollow

Same here, found both secrets via the message system. Barring that or watching/reading any walkthroughs, or forums I probably would have missed it. Same goes for the Fair Lady.

Huh? You don't have to go to Londo, I bought quite a few before going to The Depths... you can get them from the mage guy in the Parish or the zombie woman in the Burg. No need to start over at all. Calm down.

Not to mention he could just go conquer New Londo Ruins purely Demon's Souls style!!!

Smash88

Banned
I think I broke my controller...... sigh One of the buttons doesn't properly bounce back and the left stick is harder to push in now.

Throwing it against the wall doesn't help....

This game is ruining me.

derFeef

I think I broke my controller...... sigh One of the buttons doesn't properly bounce back and the left stick is harder to push in now.

Throwing it against the wall doesn't help....

This game is ruining me.

People are really doing this? Control yourself!

Ceebs

I could not see myself hurling a controller while playing PC games. big expensive monitor a foot away plus whatever else you may have on your desk could be easy targets for a throw gone wrong.

At least with the consoles you are probably in a living room with couches or something you can throw at.

Ashler

I could not see myself hurling a controller while playing PC games. big expensive monitor a foot away plus whatever else you may have on your desk could be easy targets for a throw gone wrong.

At least with the consoles you are probably in a living room with couches or something you can throw at.

I don't think it matters all that much when/if you get blinded by a flash of rage. I've literally punched my controller a few times playing on the PS3 (and once on the PC playing through the DLC) when died 2x without being able to retrieve my souls. :D

Still, love the game <3.

The Great Hollow

Yep,
swung
by chance, I did that recurrently, after finding the first secret area in the game. :)

Vaporak

The Great Hollow
without being told by someone/reading about it? Seems to me like it's akin to kneeling for 10 minutes in Simon's Quest, impossible to find out on your own. I happened to read about it and now I know, but if I hadn't I would've missed it since I was already at the entrance without knowing

I did.
I remember going up the tree path and finding the obvious chest and thinking "that's it?", and I had seen an illusionary wall before by this point so I just started smacking everything.

Sarcasm

Yea the curse stuff is lame but it doesn't ruin your character..well maybe if you keep going back and getting cursed. If you have 3000 souls and have killed the gargoyles head back up there to talk to the merchant. Also be patient when killing don't be greedy.

Anteater

Yeah just buy the purge stones from the merchant near the gargoyles, that was my least favorite part of the game and it was after I killed quite a few of those frogs thinking they were harmless, when it does the attack I decided to just be lazy and stand there and take the hit, resulting in having to run around getting that shit fixed
KuGsj.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You can buy Purging Stones from the NPC at the top of Undead Parish.

Dresden

Hahaha.

NBtoaster

The Great Hollow

It's hard to find an illusiory wall without a player message in front of it ;)

Ledsen

It's hard to find an illusiory wall without a player message in front of it ;)

Yeah, the first time I encountered one, the
secret bonfire in Darkroot
, it had "illusory wall ahead" written in front of it :p At this one though, the only player message was "secret ahead" and I assumed I'd already found the secret so I left.

Top Bottom