• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

Experimenting with Magic based weapon on some of the other weapon tiers I am using, and was wondering, as I heard on some other site, there are other places to get Blue Slabs, beside grinding on Butterflies, and the one in Crystal Cave.

Any idea where these are? So far, I have found three regular slabs per game play (not counting drops), two Red slabs (one found, one through trading), two White slabs (one in the area before
you go and fight Nito, and those baby skeletons
and the Abyss via an alternative path), and that one Blue one I mentioned earlier.

Thanks again!

There's one in a chest in the new area Sanctuary Wood.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Experimenting with Magic based weapon on some of the other weapon tiers I am using, and was wondering, as I heard on some other site, there are other places to get Blue Slabs, beside grinding on Butterflies, and the one in Crystal Cave.

Any idea where these are? So far, I have found three regular slabs per game play (not counting drops), two Red slabs (one found, one through trading), two White slabs (one in the area before
you go and fight Nito, and those baby skeletons
and the Abyss via an alternative path), and that one Blue one I mentioned earlier.

Thanks again!

Those are the only ways I know of to get Blue Slabs. But on a off note be sure to save a Slab to fully upgrade a Magic Warrior's Round Shield, one of the best anti-magic shields at very low weight.

m31

That kind of random save loss or corruption is pretty common with gfwl. Even without any user input or error, the system just does it for she reason. They will never bother fixing it because they don't give a shit.

I've heard of it happening with just about every gfwl game I can think of. Hopefully it comes back, but remember to use Durante's or game save manager's backup systems.

Turned on the backup save feature in Durante's and started a new character. After a while I got curious and checked where the save files were located. Then I found out that there was actually two folders with save files in them - one of which was named with my current username and one with an old username I switched yesterday. And there it was, my lost save file. :) So, if you change your Windows Live username there is a possibility the save file won't transfer to the new username, but it is not lost forever. Praise the sun!

Raxus

Just got this baby!
UPpmBWY=.jpg
The Dark Soul
Woo woo!

Lombax

Banned
-Go to the Sen's Fortress bonfire.
-Restore Humanity
-Equip Gold Serpent Ring
-Pump 3-5 Humanity (you'll accrue more if the boss isn't dead yet, if he is pump 7 or 8)
-Kill the 2 Balder Knights near the bonfire...over and over til it drops. You'll probably get a Shield and full armor set this way too.

You can also do this at the Undead Burg but it's more annoying and not as fast in my experiences. Not to mention doing it the Sen's way will get you tons of titanite shards and a couple large too.

Thanks for the protip. I was attempting to farm in undead burg last night but got nothing.

Raxus

snip. Question was already answered.

I like how Channeler's Trident dropped for me from the very first Channeler in the game.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I had to kill around 50-100 channelers to get this damn thing with max item find.

Finalow

I had to kill around 50-100 channelers to get this damn thing with max item find.
lol but I bet you're talking about the console version, pc version has a better drop rate. (dunno how much but the % has been probably increased a lot)

Raxus

lol but I bet you're talking about the console version, pc version has a better drop rate. (dunno how much but the % has been probably increased a lot)

I am talking PC, the drop rate has increased on tons of items but I don't think the trident was one of them.

Yeah 4 kings go down quick in early game but you have to remember to stay in close and mash R1 with as much buffed stanina as you cna afford -
i.e.grass shield on back, grass if you found any, childs mask if you got it from pinwheel, cloranthy ring from the hollow....
obvioulsy if a 2nd king comes your cooked so two hadn and keep swinging...high dps low stamina cost weapons are best....I never foudn the witch useful but a couple extra hits helps if you can afford humanity to hire her.

Havels gear is great but early game you won't have it...so use the stone armour...almost the same stats as havels....found in the garden near sif.

Had all 3 of those items although I couldn't use the ring as I was wearing Balder armor/gauntlets/leggings and needed Havel's ring. Weapon was fire uchi +5 but I wasn't dealing damage quick enough before the 2nd King would come in and ruin my shit. Next time around I'll try some heavier armour and the same 2 stamina regen items + some green blossoms and summoning the NPC to do a little damage and maybe take a few hits for me.

Grief.exe

Speaking of the trident. I know it dropped for me in the depths but I can't seem to find it in my bottomless box, maybe I am mistaken.

Have about 5 humanity from Dark Wraithing, farming now in dukes.

Where would it be in my bottomless box? Weapons right?

rybrad

People who disconnect after being invaded are the worst.
As much as I dislike PvP I would agree with this sentiment. I always just suck it up when I get invaded and I have managed to kill a decent amount of invaders. Getting killed by an invader isn't really a huge deal penalty-wise either.

Ha, no way is the drop rate on Channelers Trident as low as 0.1%. In the past fortnight I've gone from NG+1 to NG+4 with the same character - and this is without farming, but still taking all the Channelers out every time I pass through/rest a bonfire, I've got 3 of the things (seriously, three of them), and I already had one from farming the first time.

I agree they're rare, but isn't it always the way you get drops when you're NOT farming?!

Grief.exe

Ha, no way is the drop rate on Channelers Trident as low as 0.1%. In the past fortnight I've gone from NG+1 to NG+4 with the same character - and this is without farming, but still taking all the Channelers out every time I pass through/rest a bonfire, I've got 3 of the things (seriously, three of them), and I already had one from farming the first time.

I agree they're rare, but isn't always the way you get drops when you're NOT farming?!

Want to drop one for me?

Damn. Sorry, I know I'm in the PC thread - it's just the most active atm and lots of questions that us old timers can answer.

Edit - if anyone else on PS3 wants one, I'm happy to drop it for you, I can easily make a new character and BB glitch if you aren't that high a SL.

Truant

Does any of the glitches work in the PC version?

Dragon head? Item dupe?

I'm playing offline, so I won't bother anyone with duped out characters.

butts

I got a trident on my second character on Xbox from the church. I knew it was rare but I guess that was pretty lucky!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

I agree they're rare, but isn't it always the way you get drops when you're NOT farming?!

0.1% was the original drop rate I believe. They buffed drop rates pretty hard in a patch. It's still not an incredibly common drop, though. At least it never has been for me. I've always had to spend a half hour farming it.

zkylon

zkylewd
To the guy asking if it was safe to back up your saves using GameSave Manager, I've just restored mine (along with my GFWL user) after a formatting and it worked perfectly.

Ledsen

So I'm confused about weapons. How am I supposed to know which ones are good? For example, I was going through Sen's Fortress and got a Balder Side Sword from some knight, and apparently it's one of the best weapons in the game. But to me it looks like any normal sword, except I guess the Dex scaling. Also with other weapons it's really hard to know how good they really are... I'm ~SL37 and still rocking a Broad Sword +9 because I have no idea what I would replace it with and I don't have the money or shards to upgrade other weapons to see if they get better. Is it all just trial and error?

Zeliard

Weapons aren't only about their scaling and general stats, but also their move sets and other properties.

The reason the Balder Side Sword is viewed as such a good weapon isn't just because it does good damage and scales well with DEX (which it does), but also because of its relative low stamina drain on swings, its low weight, its solid range, its excellent and immensely useful R2 thrust attack, and its general ability to be very effective both 1H and 2H.

Ledsen

So basically it's really hard to know unless you check a wiki, so just pick a weapon that seems cool to you and upgrade it fully?

Zeliard

So basically it's really hard to know unless you check a wiki, so just pick a weapon that seems cool to you and upgrade it fully?

The move set is the most important thing, outside of making sure you aren't using some weapon in a situation where a boss has immunity to it (i.e. some fire-based sword vs Quelaag).

Certain bosses and enemies will be stronger/weaker to some weapon types than others - not just elementals but stuff like bleed effects - but generally just look for a weapon that has a move set that appeals to you.

I got a trident on my second character on Xbox from the church. I knew it was rare but I guess that was pretty lucky!

I started a new run and got two tridents from the two channelers in the
Undead Parish and the Depths
first try with only a couple humanity both times. After spending an hour or two on another character trying to farm it. Luck of the draw.

KarmaCow

I have mixed feelings on Ash Lake.
The atmosphere is amazing (partially because it's one of the few areas where the sound isn't missing for me), but there almost nothing to do down there. But how barren it looks and feels ties back into the atmosphere of the place. One of the last remaining dragon (if that merchant is to be trusted at least), all alone in the middle of a lake, miles underground.

Though I'm glad I went down there after I got the ability to warp. Going down the Great Hallow was a pain, I can't imagine going up.

Gvaz

Banned
Is there supposed to be music playing in the background?

I play with headphones and based on the camera the audio changes direction. I also never hear music except during bossfights. Just my character breathing.

Leezard

I like how Channeler's Trident dropped for me from the very first Channeler in the game.

I got one from the first Channeler for my first character as well. I've never gotten one since. Granted, I already got the weapon trophy for the first character so it's all good.

edgefusion

I have a little question about an unusual enemy encounter. On top of the tower next to the Taurus Demon with the two snipers there was a little reddish-white blob that fired spikes, what was it? The first time I saw it I got one-shotted by its spikes then upon returning to retrieve my souls I managed to lay a few attacks into it. I didn't do much damage, then I died. Every time I've been to that location since it's never shown up and I never saw it anywhere else.

Jintor

I have a little question about an unusual enemy encounter. On top of the tower next to the Taurus Demon with the two snipers there was a little reddish-white blob that fired spikes, what was it? The first time I saw it I got one-shotted by its spikes then upon returning to retrieve my souls I managed to lay a few attacks into it. I didn't do much damage, then I died. Every time I've been to that location since it's never shown up and I never saw it anywhere else.

Saw this the other day, sounds like it

Orayn

That unusual little creature was a Vagrant. When you die in a certain area, there's a chance it'll spawn one of them in someone else's game, and they supposedly drop pretty good stuff depending on how strong the dying player is.

Hypron

I always drop all my unnecessary items on the ground, just to spawn these vagrants in other people's worlds, you should all do that, we'd see more of them around. In more than 200 hours of gameplay I only saw one (in the Chasm Of The Abyss)... They're very rare.

Anyone know how to get up there?

Continue following the path, you'll get to a place with a locked door in front of you and a path on the right, follow the path until the end and you'll get there.

Top Bottom