• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Zeliard

lol, I love helping ppl with Quelaag wearing the Xanthous Crown. All of them just stand there for a minute once I appear.

Sullichin

Doesn't that path lead to the
Butterfly boss
?

Yeah, it's that way. Right when you get into the big area with the stone knights (this area is initially behind a fog door), go to the right. There
is a big tree that can be destroyed that is blocking the way to a hidden path.

gogogow

Yeah, it's that way. Right when you get into the big area with the stone knights (this area is initially behind a fog door), go to the right. There
is a big tree that can be destroyed that is blocking the way to a hidden path.

Ah okay, will try it out tomorrow. Thanks. Someone invaded me and killed me :( wearing a Xanthous Crown lol.

arit

Curse you pc resolutions, somebody at From forgot to QA the elite knight armor set

iCfB3J3Y50qNO.jpg

cannot be unseen.

*sigh* some coward invaded while I was in Anor Lando, but all he did was run away from me the entire time until finally he hid behind the giant blacksmith and tried to pyro me from behind him. After waiting for 10 minutes for him to come out, instead of showing some balls, he teleported back home...

Fight me like a man, damn you!

Grief.exe

Is there supposed to be music playing in the background?

I play with headphones and based on the camera the audio changes direction. I also never hear music except during bossfights. Just my character breathing.

Yes there is a glitch with the way sound is processed in Dark Souls, it isn't playing the ambient noises for most areas.

Really kind of sucks there is a why to fix it though.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls#Sounds_.28ambient.29_broken_by_default

Here is the video that shows the difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1ZBwB7Ghs

EDIT: I can confirm that this works. Night and day difference, I wish I had done this earlier.

I have onboard realtek though, if you have a different sound card then there are other fixes listed on the youtube video.

My onboard Realtek 889 can downmix.

Click Configure:
downmix1.png

Select the 5.1 setup:
downmix2.png

Unselect all optional speakers:
downmix3.png

To test it out, simply click on Configure again and hit the test button. You should hear the center and surround channels.

Sarcasm

Killed some poison dude in BT..but I am freaking lost....

What's this white ring thingy?

Someone cast a miracle near you and apparently it boosts your own miracles if you cast them near that area.

Its your lock on messing up. I got it a couple times. Could be the miracle thing too but I know 0 and wasn't invaded or anything. It did it for me in that tunnel with rat near shrine.

Yes there is a glitch with the way sound is processed in Dark Souls, it isn't playing the ambient noises for most areas.

Really kind of sucks there is a why to fix it though.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls#Sounds_.28ambient.29_broken_by_default

Here is the video that shows the difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1ZBwB7Ghs

EDIT: I can confirm that this works. Night and day difference, I wish I had done this earlier.

I have onboard realtek though, if you have a different sound card then there are other fixes listed on the youtube video.

I just tried it and the sound is completely different. I actually downgraded to leather armor like 5 hours ago because the clanging footsteps accounted for like 3/4s of the sound I was hearing. I just thought the game had terrible sound design. The port that keeps on giving. What a joke.

I remember during my very first playthrough, after defeating Quelaag, I had no idea how to get out Blighttown. I didn't know about
the shortcut to valley of the drakes
so I spent two hours trying to find my way back to the Depths, then back out the depths and finally back in Undead Burg. I had never felt so relieved.

Sullichin

Killed some poison dude in BT..but I am freaking lost....

Its your lock on messing up. I got it a couple times. Could be the miracle thing too but I know 0 and wasn't invaded or anything. It did it for me in that tunnel with rat near shrine.

It's not your lock on. The lock on is a different icon anyway. It doesn't mean you have any miracles or that you got invaded. It means someone on the server used a certain miracle in that area. It's letting you know that if you choose to equip a compatible miracle (there will be the same icon on the miracle scroll in the HUD) and use it in that spot, you will get a damage boost.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/miracle-synergy

I remember during my very first playthrough, after defeating Quelaag, I had no idea how to get out Blighttown. I didn't know about
the shortcut to valley of the drakes
so I spent two hours trying to find my way back to the Depths, then back out the depths and finally back in Undead Burg. I had never felt so relieved.

LOL, awful.

RedSwirl

So I assume it's already been posted how the Steam page for this game has been updated. New title image and a message "strongly" recommending a 360 pad.

Mupod

Where on earth is the cave behind the hydra in Darkroot Basin?

Behind the hydra.

Seriously though stick to the left along the wall, there's a path you can walk along without falling in. There's a way up to dickstab forest from there but if you're looking for the cave don't go up it.

From the Wiki:

The droprate of this item seems to be extremely low. After several tests with 400 drop chance it took about 250~300 channelers before this dropped, making it probably the rarest weapon drop in the game, with a chance to drop well below 1% (maybe even as low as 0.1%)!

What the fuck wow.

surely that cannae be right, i have like 3 or 4 of the bastards and the most channelers i've ever had to kill to get one was ~30

finally had a proper invasion duel last night in anor londo. was fighting sentinels (poorly) when he spawned so he sat back and waited until I was done, we bowed then got into it. got my butt handed to me pretty badly but it was nice to actually feel like I'm playing online.

slapped an indictment on the guy, so perhaps I'll get a chance to seek vengeance as a darkmoon assassin.

ArynCrinn

Banned
finally had a proper invasion duel last night in anor londo. was fighting sentinels (poorly) when he spawned so he sat back and waited until I was done, we bowed then got into it. got my butt handed to me pretty badly but it was nice to actually feel like I'm playing online.

slapped an indictment on the guy, so perhaps I'll get a chance to seek vengeance as a darkmoon assassin.

I need to dig into the Darkmoon stuff myself on one of these characters, I always seem to go and kick Gwyndolin's ass promptly.

I need to dig into the Darkmoon stuff myself on one of these characters, I always seem to go and kick Gwyndolin's ass promptly.

the darkmoon seance ring you need to speak with her is actually pretty nice for a caster too since it adds a free attunement slot, but actually getting it out of the catacombs was more painful than I would have liked it to be.

Problem with the Chaos Covenant:
I've given 39 humanity, yet the shortcut to Lost Izalith remains closed... am I doing something wrong? I had already given her 31 humanity before I killed the Demon Firesage

Also regarding Solaire:
There's a fog door below, after the Demon Firesage and his summon sign is placed before it. Do I need to get the Sunlight Maggot before I summon him to continue his story line?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Problem with the Chaos Covenant:
I've given 39 humanity, yet the shortcut to Lost Izalith remains closed... am I doing something wrong? I had already given her 31 humanity before I killed the Demon Firesage

Be sure you're not expecting the door directly left of her to open, because that isn't the shortcut.
It's in the right hand path directly before the Demon Firesage.

Also regarding Solaire:
There's a fog door below, after the Demon Firesage and his summon sign is placed before it. Do I need to get the Sunlight Maggot before I summon him to continue his story line?

Go ahead and summon him, getting the Maggot early makes no difference here.

Sarcasm

Man I log in where I quit in BT..than I don't want to play..I just see items, ladders, walkways, and drop offs..I don't want to miss a thing >.>

Anteater

Man I log in where I quit in BT..than I don't want to play..I just see items, ladders, walkways, and drop offs..I don't want to miss a thing >.>

I actually really liked Blighttown looking through the area for all the items, there were other maps I liked less in the game.

Does any of the glitches work in the PC version?

Dragon head? Item dupe?

I'm playing offline, so I won't bother anyone with duped out characters.

Nope, neither one works.

Kinda bummed that the Bottomless Box glitch doesn't work anymore so I can't start a character fresh with two Gold Tracers. Doing it through NG+ AKA the land of no co-op isn't nearly as fun.

Sullichin

Nope, neither one works.

Kinda bummed that the Bottomless Box glitch doesn't work anymore so I can't start a character fresh with two Gold Tracers. Doing it through NG+ AKA the land of no co-op isn't nearly as fun.

What level are you, I have a level 92 or so with one I won't use

Ridley327

To whomever was the invader I summoned to sneak attack upon from the rear: I apologize for nothing.

To whomever was the invader that didn't think I'd notice that the entrance to the rest of Darkroot Garden was a spawn point for invaders: you, too, are not immune to a Tebowing.

Man, PvP is a lot of fun when you're playing with legit players.

Ridley327

Also, the Reach Anor Londo achievement finally stopped glitching on me, and I have it now!

GFWL is so bad when it comes to glitched achievements, as any Batman owner will tell you.

Woah, something happened today that scared the hell out of me.....I was running through Sen's fortress, about to cross one of the bridges with the swinging axes, when I see a boss life gauge slowly scroll across the bottom of my screen with the words: Gwyn, Lord of Cinder above the bar....and then the piano kicked in.....IN SENS FORTRESS!!!!

I had a mini-freak out for about 10 seconds before I realized this was obviously a glitch and Gwyn wasn't actually stalking me through the dungeon....but my heart literally skipped a beat when I first saw it lol.

Shinjica

To whomever was the invader I summoned to sneak attack upon from the rear: I apologize for nothing.

To whomever was the invader that didn't think I'd notice that the entrance to the rest of Darkroot Garden was a spawn point for invaders: you, too, are not immune to a Tebowing.

Man, PvP is a lot of fun when you're playing with legit players.

I dont think Dark Souls can have a "legit" PVP. When you invade someone, you mission is to kill him. Of course you can be honorable but sometime i love use cheap trick like poison knife, bomb, etc to be the most badass.

Ridley327

I dont think Dark Souls can have a "legit" PVP. When you invade someone, you mission is to kill him. Of course you can be honorable but sometime i love use cheap trick like poison knife, bomb, etc to be the most badass.

Well, the idea that their health went down and they didn't one-shot me with a Broken Sword is what I'm getting more at, really.

One guy bowed to me while he was on top of a ledge in the Duke's Archives, and I made sure he understood where I was coming from by shooting an arrow at him. You are in my game.

What level are you, I have a level 92 or so with one I won't use

Oh, I have two now. What I meant was that I'd like to be able to use them in a fresh, original NG situation where the co-op is aplenty. As opposed to NG+ and so on where at my SL co-op seems to be completely ignored.

Thumbs up to Ridley, no fucking mercy for invaders. Make them rue the day they decided to try and gank you.

Smash88

Banned
Hey guys, me again.... sigh .... I traveled all the way back up from Blighttown to the Bell Tower near the first big boss there. Got the damn soulstone, cured my curse, bought one extra just in case. Traveled all the way back down, pain in the ass, now I'm using the shortcut near the big rat I faced earlier (instead of going through those
stupid googley eyed fucks)
, and I'm finally back in Blighttown where I left off.

Now I need to figure out a way to effectively move through the water without dying to the poison effects. Oh well, that will wait another day.

I still fucking hate this game.... just so you know....

Hey guys I want to do a dex/magic weapon build. Planning to base it around the Balder Side Sword and Grass Crest Shield. I want to have enough stats to equip that. How should I place my states when I start? What class would be best to build like this? Also would like to roll in the Brass set when I get to it. Do I need Havels Ring and the Divine ring of protection to do this? Would love to have the ninja flip ring as well....

Ridley327

Hey guys, me again.... sigh .... I traveled all the way back up from Blighttown to the Bell Tower near the first big boss there. Got the damn soulstone, cured my curse, bought one extra just in case. Traveled all the way back down, pain in the ass, now I'm using the shortcut near the big rat I faced earlier (instead of going through those
stupid googley eyed fucks)
, and I'm finally back in Blighttown where I left off.

Now I need to figure out a way to effectively move through the water without dying to the poison effects. Oh well, that will wait another day.

I still fucking hate this game.... just so you know....

There's a ring you can find that makes it so that your movement isn't affected by waist-high liquids like the Blighttown swamp.

Top Bottom