• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

linko9

Where might I find this sweet ring!?

This is actually a cool spoiler, read at your own peril:

you get it back in the undead asylum (where you started the game), past that locked barred door you couldn't get through earlier. Key is on a rooftop in firelink, keep trying to climb firelink, and you'll find a way to get back to the asylum.

edit: damn, three identical responses :D

Hey guys I want to do a dex/magic weapon build. Planning to base it around the Balder Side Sword and Grass Crest Shield. I want to have enough stats to equip that. How should I place my states when I start? What class would be best to build like this? Also would like to roll in the Brass set when I get to it. Do I need Havels Ring and the Divine ring of protection to do this? Would love to have the ninja flip ring as well....

Any class you go you're going to want to pump End until you can roll decently in your preferred set.

As for the ninja flip ring, you must first
join the Forrest covenant, located past the door that requires the Seal that Andre of Astora sells, or you can take a very long back way past the hydra and the giant rats. Once you join the covenant, a NPC called Shiva of the East will appear outside the covenant leaders den. Talk to him a few times. After that, he will appear in Blighttown as a merchant. He sells some decently rare stuff so buy anything you want before hand! If you noticed in the Forrest behind Shiva was a almost invisible NPC in the ninja gear. He will follow him to Blighttown. Kill the ninja for his ring in Blighttown. Watch out though because Shiva will become hostile as well.

It's possible to just grab the ring without going through all of that, but you will miss out on some items.

Smash88

Banned
You need to
go back to the Asylum

Jump from one of the elevators that leads you to Undead Parish for the secret passage

By going back to the Undead Asylum. You need a key found on the roof of one of the buildings in the Firelink Shrine area to get it.

This is actually a cool spoiler, read at your own peril:

you get it back in the undead asylum (where you started the game), past that locked barred door you couldn't get through earlier. Key is on a rooftop in firelink, keep trying to climb firelink, and you'll find a way to get back to the asylum.

edit: damn, three identical responses :D

Funny enough I saw
the shiny on the roof and got the key, but how do I get back to the Undead Asylum? I curled up into a ball, but nothing happened?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Finally cleared my NG+++ at SL191, feels good, DLC included! Now I'll start my next game as a full playthrough SL1, grab everything, kill everything, using only starting equipment and starting armor/weapons (upgraded along the way). With the Calamity Ring on...which I will rush asap to retrieve early.

Wish me luck! :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Try standing up and doing it a few times. The first time, it takes a while for the crow to respond.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Try standing up and doing it a few times. The first time, it takes a while for the crow to respond.

Nah, the first time you "curl into a ball" it takes a while for the cut scene to trigger. So just stay curled up until it happens. Same for the Catacombs
Gravelord coffin

Anybody had a problem with gamepads being inverted really weird? My friend just installed the game and his gamepad, no matter what he does, moves the camera up and down when he moves the stick left and right and vice versa.

on the topic of the asylum return journey;
how the fuck am I supposed to kill the stray demon?! D:

2 hands. As soon as you drop, run as fast as you can towards his back. Stay at the back. Slash his ass after he does the fire attack, but keep a tail's length away until the reddish glow disappears.

you can walk around the area the floor collapses

but I want to kill it!

2 hands. As soon as you drop, run as fast as you can towards his back. Stay at the back. Slash his ass after he does the fire attack, but keep a tail's length away until the reddish glow disappears.

I tried that but kept getting destroyed by his AOE. maybe I'll try again with the painting guardian set which has a lot of magic resist.

Dresden

but I want to kill it!

I tried that but kept getting destroyed by his AOE. maybe I'll try again with the painting guardian set which has a lot of magic resist.

No, all you need to do is not get hit. :p

It's easier than it sounds. Just make sure you can fast roll, and stay on his butt. Basically just keep moving until he does an attack, at which point you hack a few times and then step back a bit so you don't get caught by the edges of the frontal AOE he does. When he flies up to do a buttstomp, well, move back, and then move in.

Basically, hit him in the butt. Hardest part is probably in the very beginning when you drop in.

Zeliard

Use the Painted Guardian Sword on him. You will fuck his shit up with the bleeding effect, and look like a boss doing it.

equil

I just realized you could stagger
Artorias
out of his power up move. My zweihander finally came in handy, which made the fight so much easier.

Zaptruder

Banned
I just realized you could stagger
Artorias
out of his power up move. My zweihander finally came in handy, which made the fight so much easier.

Seriously, been able to stagger him out of that BS power up is the difference between killing him and dying repeatedly.

zkylon

zkylewd
on the topic of the asylum return journey;
how the fuck am I supposed to kill the stray demon?! D:
Butt stab. It's actually really easy when you understand how, just try to stay on his back at all times and you'll be safe from both of his red burst attacks, and just spank him in the ass every time he points it at you.

edit: effing ninjas

Valygar

Is it worth to upgrade armour? I am level 40, with a weapon +6 and other +3, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade some armour as well.

I'm probably keeping the weapons the whole game, since I like their moveset, but I don't know if there are better armours as you progress (at least, I am changing them quite fast).

derwalde

Is it worth to upgrade armour? I am level 40, with a weapon +6 and other +3, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade some armour as well.

I'm probably keeping the weapons the whole game, since I like their moveset, but I don't know if there are better armours as you progress (at least, I am changing them quite fast).

depends on what armor you have ;)

Fistwell

It's tricky to figure out which one to settle on for how long on a first playthrough. Depends in what order you tackle the content and what's your playstyle (along the dex-tank spectrum). At SL40 i'm guessing you're around anor londo. How much physical protect do you have? I usually aim for 200ish at that point in time.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Trying to do the Kaathe, Solaire, and Siegmeyer plotlines unlike when I first played the game certainly makes for an interesting re-shuffle of how I approach this shit. Had forgotten how massive this game is, just dont feel like I'm anywhere near the DLC yet.

Also fukken Four Kings.

somesplace

Neo Member
is anyone else getting awful performance with this game? my computer ran max payne 3 fine with near maxed out settings, and can run mirrors edge at 1080p flawlessly, but runs like utter shit on darksouls... even at 1024 x 768 i generally get like 15-20 fps.

i've got an i7 quad-core running at 2 ghz, 6 gigs of ram, geforce 540M... shouldn't i be getting better performance?

dsk1210

is anyone else getting awful performance with this game? my computer ran max payne 3 fine with near maxed out settings, and can run mirrors edge at 1080p flawlessly, but runs like utter shit on darksouls... even at 1024 x 768 i generally get like 15-20 fps.

i've got an i7 quad-core running at 2 ghz, 6 gigs of ram, geforce 540M... shouldn't i be getting better performance?

Make sure to have power usage set to maximum in nvidia control panel.

Did you try DSfix

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=169

Jintor

I have been engaged in jolly co-operation fighting the terror twins for a few hours now. Fun as hell, but I've died or the summoner have died like 5 times. Co-op is great though cos you don't have to bother about corpse running or shit and you still get delicious rewards AND you have ridiculously high damage output with allies.

IoCaster

Holy crap, I failed so many times that I lost count, seriously. I mean I finally beat Smough and Ornstein, but it was just brutal and I gave up a couple of times in total frustration. I kept coming back and trying cause I hate to give up. It paid off in the end and I'm a better player for it, but shit my brain is fried right now from the stress of the battles. Anyway, it's time for another break before I try to figure out what to do next. A hell of a game.

Tilian

Banned
Couple questions about invaders:

Why do I sometimes get lightening shocks when I backstab? Are they glitching or is this a game bug?

And why do so many invaders point to the ground? Is this supposed to be a taunt?

dsk1210

I have said it before and I will say it again, this is an epic game, in my top 5 games from the last 10 years.

Super Mario galaxy 2
Dark souls
Trials evo
Geometry wars 2
Shadow of the colossus.

Shinjica

Couple questions about invaders:

Why do I sometimes get lightening shocks when I backstab? Are they glitching or is this a game bug?

And why do so many invaders point to the ground? Is this supposed to be a taunt?

You have a lightning weapon?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

It's one of the few people use as 'insulting'. I guess it's like "stay down" or something? I only use it if someone runs forever and I end up killing them haha.

Yeah, so it's a bug then?

It's not a bug, just a lightning weapon effect. Same as flames being produced if you have a fire or chaos weapon.

Tilian

Banned
It's one of the few people use as 'insulting'. I guess it's like "stay down" or something? I only use it if someone runs forever and I end up killing them haha.

It's not a bug, just a lightning weapon effect. Same as flames being produced if you have a fire or chaos weapon.

-Figured so, thanks. Only these guys are pointing down at the start of the duel (while I'm bowing I might add) which makes them look foolish when I destroy them.

-Yeah, but I'm the one being shocked by my own weapon during the backstab animation. Kinda weird.

Shinjica

-Figured so, thanks. Only these guys are pointing down at the start of the duel (while I'm bowing I might add) which makes them look foolish when I destroy them.

-Yeah, but I'm the one being shocked by my own weapon during the backstab animation. Kinda weird.

maybe they have a lightning weapon too

theta11

Man, is anyone still having trouble summoning? I've opened all the necessary GFWL ports and still not having any luck. I can see signs, ghost and invade just fine but the success rate of invasions and summons is pretty low.

robin2

So the bonefire in the beginning area is spent, it says that the fire-something is missing so it can't be lit again on. I found this Black Eye Orb which I need to use for invade the world of the fire-something killer and bring back the bonefire.. but I can't do it even if I'm human. Am I missing something? I'd like my fire back.

Shinjica

So the bonefire in the beginning area is spent, it says that the fire-something is missing so it can't be lit again on. I found this Black Eye Orb which I need to use for invade the world of the fire-something killer and bring back the bonefire.. but I can't do it even if I'm human. Am I missing something? I'd like my fire back.

When you reach a certain area it will pop up a message saying the black orb in resonating or something like that. That mean you can invade the firekeeper killer.

kodt

Banned

Knight Laurtec of Carim (the guy in the gold armor), who you freed earlier, killed the firekeeper so that bonfire has gone out. You can retrieve her soul and revive her later on in the game using the black eye orb. It will "pulse" and give you a message when you are able to do so. Make sure you don't use her firekeeper soul to reinforce your estus flask, or you won't be able to revive her.

nOoblet16

yea this one time I got killed just like this, I managed to backstab the invader atleast 3 times only for me to get shocked back in return, I didn't knew what was going on back then nor do I know now.

If someone has an elemental effect on their shield and they have their shield on their backs (by two handing their weapon), would I get damaged from it if I try to backstab them?

NBtoaster

Is it obnoxious to use the "I'm sorry" carving when you invade and kill someone?

Invaded a lot (and was invaded a lot) in the DLC forest tonight. Around level 90, seems to the place to be for pvp.

Top Bottom