• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Orayn

Man, is anyone still having trouble summoning? I've opened all the necessary GFWL ports and still not having any luck. I can see signs, ghost and invade just fine but the success rate of invasions and summons is pretty low.

It's lower than ideal for me as well, which is weird because it seemed really high shortly after launch.

Is it obnoxious to use the "I'm sorry" carving when you invade and kill someone?

Invaded a lot (and was invaded a lot) in the DLC forest tonight. Around level 90, seems to the place to be for pvp.

Nah, sounds creative!

Sorry to interrupt with a hardware question. My system is really struggling with Blighttown:
2.9ghz Athlon II X3 435
4 gigs of DDR3 PC1600
Radeon HD4890

If I replace the Athlon with a Phenom II X4 965BE, a 3.4 ghz proc, can you tell me with certainty that Blighttown would run at 30fps, or would my graphics card still not be enough? My system drops to 15fps or less sporadically when looking over large areas or fighting some bosses, but Blighttown was absolutely terrible.

Hypron

Good old GFWL...

1347027097-data-2012-09-08-02-05-34-75.png

So I've got 40/41 achievements for this game... Sounds good so far... Except that the 41st is supposed to unlock when you've unlocked the 40 others. I've looked online for ways to solve this and nothing I tried worked... I wanted to send an email to the GFWL support but apparently the only way to contact them is to call them... And god do I hate to call hotlines. It's 2 am right now where I live so I'm probably going to go to bed and take care of that tomorrow...

How is it even possible to make such a shitty software?

Grief.exe

is anyone else getting awful performance with this game? my computer ran max payne 3 fine with near maxed out settings, and can run mirrors edge at 1080p flawlessly, but runs like utter shit on darksouls... even at 1024 x 768 i generally get like 15-20 fps.

i've got an i7 quad-core running at 2 ghz, 6 gigs of ram, geforce 540M... shouldn't i be getting better performance?

For some reason Dark Souls defaults to your integrated HD 3000 graphics rather than your dedicated gpu.

The latest DSdix should handle this issue.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=169

Good old GFWL...

So I've got 40/41 achievements for this game... Sounds good so far... Except that the 41st is supposed to unlock when you've unlocked the 40 others. I've looked online on ways to solve this and nothing I tried worked... I wanted to send an email to the GFWL support but apparently the only way to contact them is to call them... And god do I hate to call hotlines. It's 2 am right now where I live so I'm probably going to go to bed and take care of that tomorrow...

That's really bad. Sorry about that, try calling them I guess.

Speaking of achievements, its kind of lame that they didn't add any for the DLC content especially for those that have already played through on console.

EasyMode

Man, is anyone still having trouble summoning? I've opened all the necessary GFWL ports and still not having any luck. I can see signs, ghost and invade just fine but the success rate of invasions and summons is pretty low.

Same here. I spent 10 minutes trying to summon people at Blighttown and every single one of them failed. I've had mixed success before, but that was the first time I hit a brick wall trying to summon.

2 questions....

1. I completely ignored The Depths/Blightown and continued unto Darkroot Basin instead, I just found a pretty epic
Butterfly but I cant even touch it, the thing is always flying,
should I come back later in the game when I have more ranged attacks, im not a sorcerer or anything, all I have are my short range fire balls, bow and my claymore +5

2. Finally played some Co op with my brother, but I couldnt seem to backstab any enemies, im usually pretty good with them, are backstabs disabled during co op or something?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So er, where is the new content exactly? ^^;

Is it weaved into the existing map or is it separate and only available after playing through once?

Mihos

Gold Member
Same here. I spent 10 minutes trying to summon people at Blighttown and every single one of them failed. I've had mixed success before, but that was the first time I hit a brick wall trying to summon.

My summons were about 50/50. Sucks to try in pull in help for a boss for 20 minutes, finally get someone in only to get invaded and have them kill your help. At least I got revenge on them and backstabbed them off a cliff :)

Sorry for getting you caught in the middle internet dude !

EasyMode

2 questions....

1. I completely ignored The Depths/Blightown and continued unto Darkroot Basin instead, I just found a pretty epic
Butterfly but I cant even touch it, the thing is always flying,
should I come back later in the game when I have more ranged attacks, im not a sorcerer or anything, all I have are my short range fire balls, bow and my claymore +5

2. Finally played some Co op with my brother, but I couldnt seem to backstab any enemies, im usually pretty good with them, are backstabs disabled during co op or something?

If you block/dodge its attacks for a while it will come down for a rest.

2. They should work, maybe it was lag? Also, Sometimes you have to wait for certain animations to finish before you can backstab.

If you block/dodge its attacks for a while it will come down for a rest.

2. They should work, maybe it was lag? Also, Sometimes you have to wait for certain animations to finish before you can backstab.

His magic attacks kill me so fast, maybe I should equip my Blue Crest Shield instead of the Spider shield hehe.

Another question, playing co op with my brother trying to defeat this boss has depleted me of Humanity pretty fast as you need to be Human to summon people :(, where can I find more Humanity so I can continue to play this game in co op, I dont want to use the save game editor.

equil

His magic attacks kill me so fast, maybe I should equip my Blue Crest Shield instead of the Spider shield hehe.

Another question, playing co op with my brother trying to defeat this boss has depleted me of Humanity pretty fast as you need to be Human to summon people :(, where can I find more Humanity so I can continue to play this game in co op, I dont want to use the save game editor.

Put on light armor and just lock on to it, and right before it shoots anything just dodge the attack. It's really easy.

Orayn

Is it weaved into the existing map or is it separate and only available after playing through once?

It's a new chapter that tells the story of Artorias of the Abyss, including four bosses, new areas, and new items, and and new characters. You access it about 70% of the way through the game. (Duke's Archives)

Put on light armor and just lock on to it, and right before it shoots anything just dodge the attack. It's really easy.

Cool will do :)

As a newbie though, should I continue this path? The forest is way more inviting than the Depths but maybe im breaking the game or something going down this way so early.

theta11

Early in the game though rat enemies in the Depths have a good chance to drop humanity items.

Haunted

A portal to the new content is placed in the world, it's optional content and not needed to finish the game. You can access it roughly 60% through a first playthrough.

specific instructions:
1) Kill Hydra in the lake in Darkroot Basin
2) Kill Golden Golem past the lake in Darkroot Basin
3) Kill new Crystal Golem appearing at the beginning of Duke's Archive
4) Return to where the Golden Golem was past the lake in Darkroot Basin

Raxus

Good old GFWL...

So I've got 40/41 achievements for this game... Sounds good so far... Except that the 41st is supposed to unlock when you've unlocked the 40 others. I've looked online for ways to solve this and nothing I tried worked... I wanted to send an email to the GFWL support but apparently the only way to contact them is to call them... And god do I hate to call hotlines. It's 2 am right now where I live so I'm probably going to go to bed and take care of that tomorrow...

Ha. I played through Batman:AC three friggin' times and they never game me a story based achievement in the game. Drove me up the wall. Good luck man.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It's a new chapter that tells the story of Artorias of the Abyss, including four bosses, new areas, and new items, and and new characters. You access it about 70% of the way through the game. (Duke's Archives)

Ah, interesting. Thanks.

theta11

Cool will do :)

As a newbie though, should I continue this path? The forest is way more inviting than the Depths but maybe im breaking the game or something going down this way so early.

Moonlight Butterfly is really easy. If you have having trouble you can always summon the NPC phantom.
The sign is hidden behind some brush under the stairs

EasyMode

Like equil said, dodging works best. But the crest shield doesn't hurt either.

Edit: (Had something here about humanity, but it wont work.)

rybrad

For Humanity, when you get to the Depths there is a really good spot to farm rats for Humanity after the bonfire. You can also kill slimes on the same route to get Green Titanite and Large Titanite shards. I have spent a couple hours there building my humanity up and it is easy enough with a decent drop rate.

Raxus

In the depths there are rats that have a ~20% rate of humanity dropping with max item find. There is a bonfire smack dab in the middle of the level (that you can warp to later on) that allows you farm the rats (humanity), slimes (large and green titanite), and frogs (eye of death).

I've had crap-luck with summons for a long time, then last night/this morning I had 3 work and 0 fail, which is a much better rate than my last attempt at co-op of about 30 attempts, 1 work (of which the guy throws down an 'I'm sorry' and goes back to his world).

I had some jolly co-op in Ano, killed 2 invaders and O&S. This game is so much more fun with some co-op.

Hypron

Ha. I played through Batman:AC three friggin' times and they never game me a story based achievement in the game. Drove me up the wall. Good luck man.

Thanks, I'll need it.

I managed to send them an email. I found something called "gamertag inquiries" (or something along those lines) and it seemed to fit my problem quite well so I sent a mail there. Let's hope someone helpful answers my query...

In the depths there are rats that have a ~20% rate of humanity dropping with max item find. There is a bonfire smack dab in the middle of the level (that you can warp to later on) that allows you farm the rats (humanity), slimes (large and green titanite), and frogs (eye of death).

How can I get max item find this early in the game, I dont have access to the rings you get later in the game.

theta11

How can I get max item find this early in the game, I dont have access to the rings you get later in the game.

You can't and it's really no necessary. Just clear the Depths as per normal and as you get the Humanity drops use them until you have 10 stored up. Once you unlock the shortcut you can kill 5-6 rats repeatedly until you feel you have enough. Try not to overdo it though since it's easy to get carried away and overfarm in this game.

Zeth

I started a new sorcerer, but I know nothing about good gear/items for them. I'm looking for a nice 100% physical dmg shield that's fairly light. Is there any good caster armor before the gold-hemmed or should I just go for that and upgrade it? Anything else I should prioritize? I've played a few level 60+ melee characters but never ranged only.

You can't and it's really no necessary. Just clear the Depths as per normal and as you get the Humanity drops use them until you have 10 stored up. Once you unlock the shortcut you can kill 5-6 rats repeatedly until you feel you have enough. Try not to overdo it though since it's easy to get carried away and overfarm in this game.

Do I still get the drops if I already defeated the boss in this area?

I've heard drop rate is a bit less if you defeat the boss of an area but people might just be unlucky.

I ask because I spent like 15 minutes killing slimes and didnt get a single Large Shard, havent been able to upgrade my Claymore past +5 in a while.

edit: then again, I wasnt human, and had 0 humanity plus area boss killed...

rybrad

Hmmm I'm level 70 and I just finished Anor Londo. I'm way too high level, right? :(
I am 45 and finishing it up so 70 seems a tad high but a victory is a victory either way!
I ask because I spent like 15 minutes killing slimes and didnt get a single Large Shard, havent been able to upgrade my Claymore past +5 in a while.

They definitely still drop, I have been farming the area after the boss kill and have gotten several drops of the shards. The drop rate seems much lower than humanity on the rats but that is purely anecdotal on my part.

Zeliard

I have been engaged in jolly co-operation fighting the terror twins for a few hours now. Fun as hell, but I've died or the summoner have died like 5 times. Co-op is great though cos you don't have to bother about corpse running or shit and you still get delicious rewards AND you have ridiculously high damage output with allies.

I generally have great success helping people in that fight. In co-op it tends to always be a question of whether or not the hosts get themselves killed.

One of the trickier ones can actually be Quelaag. About 90% of the time I'm likely helping out someone who is facing her for the very first time, since I get her opening cutscene. In some cases it's possible that they're just replaying the game, but odds are most of those people haven't seen her before. It then becomes a question of whether or not they get away from her when she does her AOE attack. I should probably message those players beforehand, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. :p She can be killed fairly quickly so it usually isn't an issue.

With O&S, most people just stay the hell away from the second part of that fight, lol. That fight tends to go super quickly when the host summons two human players instead of Solaire.

And yeah, co-op is by far my favorite way to "farm" in this game. It doesn't feel like some empty grind and it's much more fun. You're helping other people progress through the game and getting humanity and massive amounts of souls from it.

I'm mostly worried about being able to summon people for the later fights. Will this affect it?

It should be totally fine for the later stages.

Hmmm I'm level 70 and I just finished Anor Londo. I'm way too high level, right? :(

I usually seem to finish Anor in around my 60s/70s, mostly because I get a huge influx of souls from depths / blight town / ceaseless discharge and want to round-out my build to get the setup of armor / items I want. Every time I say 'I'm going to try and do a lower soul-level run', I end up still in that level range. Once I hit that point, tend to focus more on spending souls on upgrades / spells / etc.

meh, go at your own pace and what is fun for you.

Drops from slimes are VERY common with the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring on and 10 Humanity.

Sullichin

27STR:
Reinforced Club+15 vs Chaos Demon's Great Machete+5 (w/ 10 humanity, natch)
Reinforced Club is better in most PVE situations. DGM has a much higher AR but much of it is fire damage. The new stone giants in the DLC only take like 150something damage from a DGM strike and over 300 from the tiny reinforced club. They can be taken out with two 2HR2 attacks from the reinforced club, or 3 or 4 much slower swings of the DGM.

It's no surprise really. But if you decided to go +15 and you're concerned about a low AR compared to a lightning/chaos path, don't be. Having more physical damage is better, then add the elemental damage on top of that if you want.

Dukes Archives, Lost Izalith and the new areas laugh at elemental damage. Physical damage is much more effective.

Sarcasm

While kicking snipers off and trying not to get too many hickies I
stumbled upon a detour (I did kill the octopus thing - picked up sword and eagle shield)..where does this detour go? I don't want to miss items.

TTOOLL

So, I'm level 30 and I can't kill the boss in the Depths. Where should I go to get some nice armor? Or just upgrade what I have (knight starter kit) to +5?

Zeth

Opening up shortcuts in this game is one of those "AHA" moments that I missed about videogames for a long time.

Absolutely. When I first opened the gate in the burg and pieced together how all those early areas are webbed together I said "wow"

Zzoram

So, I'm level 30 and I can't kill the boss in the Depths. Where should I go to get some nice armor? Or just upgrade what I have (knight starter kit) to +5?

You need patience for that fight but it's actually pretty easy at any level with any gear.

Just keep your distance and always run around it to get to the tail. After it does a running charge, it stays still for maybe 7 seconds, during which time you should swing at the tail to eventually cut it off. Once the tail is gone, the fight is much easier because it can't whip you with its tail. Continue doing the same thing, waiting for it to charge then bumrushing it and backing off before it does an attack.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm starting Anor Lando at about 55.
Yup, same here.

I'm actually pretty stupidly stuck in the beginning of Anor Londo.
I've killed the gargoyle (and got a helm out of it :D) but the bridge seems to lead nowhere and the only other route I found leads to a locked orange misty gate.

Top Bottom