• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Anteater

God damn this game is so fucking ruthless, really toying with my patience. What I don't like is that it tells you almost nothing. I bought a healing scroll (or miracle or whatever) and I can't equip it and I don't have any idea why not.

1. get a tailsman
2. attune magic at bonfire and equip the spell
3. ???
4. Profit!

God damn this game is so fucking ruthless, really toying with my patience. What I don't like is that it tells you almost nothing. I bought a healing scroll (or miracle or whatever) and I can't equip it and I don't have any idea why not.

When viewing it, do any of the numbers appear in 'Red', there is a chance you don't meet the faith requirements.

Having a red-number on an item/spell stands out as 'this number isn't like the rest...maybe it means something'.

But yeah, some of the basic mechanics / etc in the game are not very well explained in-game at all. The weapon-damage scaling is rather confusing also without going to an outside source first.

It's weird, with most games - this lack of in-game explanation would probably annoy the hell out of me, but something about the souls games - it just fits, and I think adds to the appeal.

Why is the Tomb of Giants so far away? Come ooooooon. I don't want to go through the fucking Catacombs again, such a stupid area.

Getting from the start of catacombs to Pinwheels area shouldn't take more than 2 minutes max once you have made it through once. Then the first bonfire in TotG is a warp point.

It's one of the new bonfire warp points!

Getting from the start of catacombs to Pinwheels area shouldn't take more than 2 minutes max once you have made it through once. Then the first bonfire in TotG is a warp point.

Happy_gif.gif

Thanks guys!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Why is the Tomb of Giants so far away? Come ooooooon. I don't want to go through the fucking Catacombs again, such a stupid area.
I was mentioning it earlier but I think it would be cool if there was a hidden shortcut, like maybe a branching path off the Great Hollow that lead into part of the Tomb.

Sullichin

I gotta say, the pvp community besides the few cheaters I've run into has been awesome. It's easier to send messages on PC so I'm talking to more of the random people I'm playing with. The DWGR nerf means that there's a wider variety of builds out there. Ooacile township is where it's at, my new favorite place for duels.

How should anyone know that wihtout asking in an internet forum?

Read item descriptions. But yeah, many aspects of the game are very obtuse at first

I gotta say, the pvp community besides the few cheaters I've run into has been awesome. It's easier to send messages on PC so I'm talking to more of the random people I'm playing with. The DWGR nerf means that there's a wider variety of builds out there. Ooacile township is where it's at, my new favorite place for duels.

Read item descriptions

You seem experienced so im going to ask you a question about PVP.

The other day I was engaged in Jolly cooperation with my brother, all of the sudden we get invaded by this dude wearing black knight armor.

Me and my brother are around level 30, this dude just starts spamming this red mist kind of thing that wont let us get close to him, then he just rushed us and killed us pretty much instantly with a super fast move set, his weapon seem to have some kind of buff as each hit would make us bleed super fast, it took like 3 hits (so one combo of his) to down us.

Was he cheating, he killed 2 players in a matter of seconds.

Raxus

Your mission: Hunt and kill PizzaLawyer420.
i78FA2zWghozW.png

LOL I would feel bad if the guy was actually born on 4/20, his favorite food is pizza, and he is a lawyer and all around cool dude.

He is at home wondering why so many people are invading him, "Why do so many people hate me on XBL. I don't understand?!?".

Sullichin

You seem experienced so im going to ask you a question about PVP.

The other day I was engaged in Jolly cooperation with my brother, all of the sudden we get invaded by this dude wearing black knight armor.

Me and my brother are around level 30, this dude just starts spamming this red mist kind of thing that wont let us get close to him, then he just rushed us and killed us pretty much instantly with a super fast move set, his weapon seem to have some kind of buff as each hit would make us bleed super fast, it took like 3 hits (so one combo of his) to down us.

Was he cheating, he killed 2 players in a matter of seconds.

He could be invading with an uchigatana/iato/washing pole+15 or a lightning/chaos variant (kind of dickish to invade at low levels with such a strong weapon), those inflict bleed even if you're blocking, and those weapons can pretty much take down a 40VIT HP bar in a few slashes. He could have been buffing with power within (his health would have been draining slowly and he'd have a red mist around him), which would make his stamina regenerate faster and his attacks 40% stronger. But that red cloud sounds like the acid surge pyromancy:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/acid-surge

Definitely possible he could get all that and still invade level 30 players.

Gvaz

Banned
back to blighttown, man I love this place, I just don't know why

Blighttown makes me want to kill myself.

Anor Londo > Duke Archives > Painted World of Ariamis > Undead Burg > Undead Parish > Darkwood Forest > Darkwood Basin > The Catacombs > Lost Izalith > Depths > Blighttown > The Great Hollow > Ash Lake (only for a lack of content, not the atmosphere which is #1) > Tomb of the Giants > Demon Ruins > Kiln of the first flame > Sen's Fortress > Crystal Caves

He could be invading with an uchigatana/iato/washing pole+15 or a lightning/chaos variant (kind of dickish to invade at low levels with such a strong weapon), those inflict bleed even if you're blocking, and those weapons can pretty much take down a 40VIT HP bar in a few slashes. He could have been buffing with power within (his health would have been draining slowly and he'd have a red mist around him), which would make his stamina regenerate faster and his attacks 40% stronger. But that red cloud sounds like the acid surge pyromancy:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/acid-surge

Definitely possible he could get all that and still invade level 30 players.

Yeah the Acid Surge sounds like it, crazy how some players just play the game to invade others, this dude was ready, you could tell he had a strategy, me and my bro are noobs at this game hahah.

JeTmAn81

I really wish they had put the bonfire in Sen's Fortress a little further down. The enemies aren't really a problem, but the pendulums make getting up to the roof a real headache. I almost want to say they should've made it so getting knocked off by a pendulum always lets you land on a lower platform (which it does sometimes) and take some damage, rather than killing you because it's just too cruel to get to the most difficult pendulums right before the roof and just barely mistime it and die. Of course, the first time I got through all the pendulums before getting randomly firebombed by the giant on the roof.

Anteater

Blighttown makes me want to kill myself.

Anor Londo > Duke Archives > Painted World of Ariamis > Undead Burg > Undead Parish > Darkwood Forest > Darkwood Basin > The Catacombs > Lost Izalith > Depths > Blighttown > The Great Hollow > Ash Lake (only for a lack of content, not the atmosphere which is #1) > Tomb of the Giants > Demon Ruins > Kiln of the first flame > Sen's Fortress > Crystal Caves

I like Anor londo and blighttown the most, I didn't like most of the areas I explored in the second half of the game (tomb of giants, new londo ruins). I feel neutral about Crystal Caves due to how short it is, I would put lost izalith above the others if it weren't for bed of chaos.

The forest sections were ok, but I liked the bosses there, didn't like sen's fortress because I sucked at dodging those blades and I couldn't figure that place out even until now :p

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I'm seriously considering picking this up for PC even though I have the 360 SKU.

I've put about 6 hours into the 360 SKU and barely got anywhere. Now that I've been reading up on how to play, I want to give it a serious go.

Is it worth the price for the PC SKU, given it's additional content and the graphics mod fix? Is the graphics mod stable now, or does it still break a lot of the VFX in the game?

How prevalent are cheaters? That could be a serious dealbreaker for me.

Also, I have an i5 quad at 2.7 ghz with a 6850 1 gig card. Is that enough horsepower to play the game at 1080p?

Grief.exe

I really wish they had put the bonfire in Sen's Fortress a little further down. The enemies aren't really a problem, but the pendulums make getting up to the roof a real headache. I almost want to say they should've made it so getting knocked off by a pendulum always lets you land on a lower platform (which it does sometimes) and take some damage, rather than killing you because it's just too cruel to get to the most difficult pendulums right before the roof and just barely mistime it and die. Of course, the first time I got through all the pendulums before getting randomly firebombed by the giant on the roof.

Ya it would have been better for first time players to put a bonfire somewhere around where you can adjust the direction of where the rocks roll down.
Then later unlock a shortcut to the roof from there.

On my second playthrough now, I breezed through sen's because I know the enemies and the trap locations. I did it on one life in about 15 minutes I think.

zkylon

zkylewd
I guess I must be in the lonely minority that found the pendulums in Sen's to be mostly easy to dodge.

I still can't kill the headless dudes in the pit below heh.

Ridley327

I guess I must be in the lonely minority that found the pendulums in Sen's to be mostly easy to dodge.

I never had much of an issue with them myself; the hardest one is the one where the five pendulums are bunched up together, and that just requires you to run through it once you have a decent opening.

Gvaz

Banned
Ok, I'm seriously considering picking this up for PC even though I have the 360 SKU.

I've put about 6 hours into the 360 SKU and barely got anywhere. Now that I've been reading up on how to play, I want to give it a serious go.

Is it worth the price for the PC SKU, given it's additional content and the graphics mod fix? Is the graphics mod stable now, or does it still break a lot of the VFX in the game?

How prevalent are cheaters? That could be a serious dealbreaker for me.

Also, I have an i5 quad at 2.7 ghz with a 6850 1 gig card. Is that enough horsepower to play the game at 1080p?
Cheaters are hit or miss. I cheat materials/items because I hate grinding but never cheat in pvp.

That cpu might be enough, idk.

Pc has become the definitive version now IMO...

Eusis

The secret, I think, is to aim the camera downwards when you're reasonably safe from interference. This might also be a case where stereoscopic 3D helps a lot, but once you can really SEE the spacing you can then learn it and easily dodge them.

zkylon

zkylewd
I never had much of an issue with them myself; the hardest one is the one where the five pendulums are bunched up together, and that just requires you to run through it once you have a decent opening.
And if you get to the top, you have a bonfire and a shortcut so you don't have to go through it ever again.

The only pendulums that gave me an issue were the second set with the lizard chucking lightening at me, took me awhile to get that worked out, even on my second play-through.

Anteater

Titanite Demons? I skipped 1 of them down there, I hate fighting those things in tight areas.

JeTmAn81

The only pendulums that gave me an issue were the second set with the lizard chucking lightening at me, took me awhile to get that worked out, even on my second play-through.

I was able to kill that guy with my pyro glove so that made it a lot easier. The timing to get past that last set of pendulums is pretty tight though. I also find it pretty annoying to get past one of the earlier pendulum areas where the lizard guy is directly behind them throwing lightning at you the whole way. I tend to just block and advance forward, which is fine as long as the blocked lightning doesn't end up bumping me into a pendulum.

zkylon

zkylewd
Titanite Demons? I skipped 1 of them down there, I hate fighting those things in tight areas.
Yup, those, Titanite Demons.

I killed one, but there's still two on the other side of the pit I can't seem to kill, since they're pretty tough to fight in numbers. And these guys are a little smarter than the one in Anor Londo, so I can't arrow them to death from safety :p

Anteater

I killed one, but there's still two on the other side of the pit I can't seem to kill, since they're pretty tough to fight in numbers. And these guys are a little smarter than the one in Anor Londo, so I can't arrow them to death from safety :p

oh yeah! I just remember there were 2 together in that space, I skipped them both too, those things take forever to kill for some reason.

Try to get on their side between the front and back leg and sidestep while locked on as they turn. Only way they will hit you is with a jump attack that's avoidable with one backflip.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I always just sniped the lizards with my bow and arrow before going on the platforms. The swinging blades are easy to get past if you just tilt the camera up a bit as you are running forward and most of them can be sprinted or rolled past.

Sen's is a great area, easily in the top 3.

Anor Londo

Painted World of Ariamis

Sen's Fortress

ArjanN

The pendulums are pretty easy, you can just turn the camera sideways.

You can always come back later to kill the titanite demons below when you're more powerful.

Grief.exe

The trick to those guys is always dodging to the right, whenever they attack dodge or walk to your right and you will be in a safe zone.

The rusted iron ring is a requirement for down there as well.

Sen's is amazing level design, one of the best from either Souls game, I always enjoy the trip through.

You can run through most of the first set of blades, I always run non-stop from before the double set, but I think you can actually run non-stop from the one before.

I found the second set much trickier for a long time, but I just stopped trying to take chances - you can run through the first double set and then straight through the next with a little step off the run button on to the floor trap, although I see a lot of people walking slowly inbetween each axe blade, so whichever way makes you happy.

JeTmAn81

Sen's is amazing level design, one of the best from either Souls game, I always enjoy the trip through.

You can run through most of the first set of blades, I always run non-stop from before the double set, but I think you can actually run non-stop from the one before.

I found the second set much trickier for a long time, but I just stopped trying to take chances - you can run through the first double set and then straight through the next with a little step off the run button on to the floor trap, although I see a lot of people walking slowly inbetween each axe blade, so whichever way makes you happy.

Honestly, most of the pendulums were not a problem for me. It just drives me crazy a little bit to get almost to the part where I can get to the bonfire and have to go through the only set of them that actually is difficult to traverse, at least for me, and then having to do that whole run again if I mess it up.

Ridley327

Just finish some good stuff O and S were brutal.

After you kill a boss can you b e summoned to fight it in someone else' world?

Technically, I think you can actually do it before then, as well, but having the experience of fighting them is obviously quite valuable for another player.

Top Bottom