• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

The only pendulums that gave me an issue were the second set with the lizard chucking lightening at me, took me awhile to get that worked out, even on my second play-through.

I always hated that part too, until I realized the lizard is too slow to actually hit you. Just run past the first two blades, stop, wait for the opening, then run past the next two. The lizard will be too slow to react.

I hate the swinging blades that come before, on that short walkway where you have to run past all four at once. It always seems impossible to make the run.

Thrakier

When am I supposed to do this belltower demon? When I'm in his area the first time? I would've brought down the first one but then the second one chimed in...yeah.

Also, why should I do reverse hollow besides the online stuff?

mxgt

Banned
I wish there was more to do in Dark Anor Londo, it's such a great atmosphere.

Can't even soul farm those 2 respawning mobs by O&S door any more :(

antitrop

When am I supposed to do this belltower demon? When I'm in his area the first time? I would've brought down the first one but then the second one chimed in...yeah.

Being in human form increases the item drop rate.

Human form + Covetous Serpent Ring = Enemies drop shit all over the fucking place.

Ridley327

Being human means you can kindle bonfires, so that the Estus Flask is replenished with more charges. Bonfires start at restoring 5 charges, and will gain an additional 5 for every humanity you offer to it, for a maximum of 20 charges (keep in mind that to get a bonfire past 10, you'll need an item from later on in the game).

I actually did discover something about that; if you got a bonfire to +15 before you beat the game, you won't need the Rite of Kindling to make it go up to +20 in NG+.

Raxus

Human form + Covetous Serpent Ring = Enemies drop shit all over the fucking place.

No it doesn't Having 10 soft humanity does but being human only raises resistances slightly, gives you the ability to summon and invade (and get invaded) and kindle bonfires.

Zeliard

One of the nice things about playing the game right when it came out was that there wasn't much information available and half of what was available was basically wild speculation or lurid fanfiction about the pendant. Even if you wanted to spoil yourself it was pretty hard, and what you did manage to spoil had a 50/50 chance of not actually being a spoiler at all.

So I didn't get much spoiled for me at all. I learned about the
Drake Sword
right around the time that it ceased to be useful, but other than that I didn't really see much of anything mentioned before I'd already seen it for myself. And I learned about the
Drake Sword
when it was still considered to be the obvious Only Weapon You Will Ever Need Ever, so it kinda falls into the total bullshit spoiler territory as well.

I imagine it's way, way harder to pull off a spoiler-free playthrough nowadays. When I first played there weren't any wikis with remotely consistently reliable content, so I ended up having to compile my own lists of equipment stats and such. You can still find some of them that I posted in the early OTs if you look. It was kind of like being a kid again and having a little notepad in front of the TV that I used to write down things I found in games so I'd remember them.

Ah, memories.

The game was quite a thing in those early days. So much mystery. I played with the Master Key in my very first playthrough on release, back when relatively little info was available, and I've rarely played a game that felt so adventurous and mysterious. Had no idea what could possibly be around the next corner and it was so much fun venturing into new areas.

I visited places like Blighttown, Darkroot, and Valley of the Drakes at the start of the game, before ever messing with the Gargoyles. Saw the
Hydra
and said "NOPE." Killed Havel in a very intense fight, bled some Drakes out with my Bandit's Knife, and danced with the Titanite Demon who hangs out with Andre.

Them's were the days. It's also why I always shake my head at people who tell others never to pick the Master Key their first go-around. It makes it a much truer open-world experience.

Holding humanity is what increases item drop rate.

Having 10 humanity + the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring gives you an item discovery of 410, which is the maximum.

Dresden

Saw the
Hydra
and said "NOPE."
Nothing like venturing through that area and seeing that
sinuous writhing shape in the distance.

Welp, time to go elsewhere.
Of course it turns out to be a pretty easy boss when you actually fight him, but shit was foreboding as fuck.

Zeliard

Nothing like venturing through that area and seeing that
sinuous writhing shape in the distance.

Welp, time to go elsewhere.
Of course it turns out to be a pretty easy boss when you actually fight him, but shit was foreboding as fuck.

Haha yeah. Shades of the Gaping Dragon. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
I've spoiled myself a couple minor things but I agree, the not knowing is an incredible feeling that makes you go back to your NES days and it's arguably the strongest aspect of Dark Souls.

Right now I have open: Darkroot Garden and Basin, The Catacombs, the Painting World, Valley of the Drakes, the lava places past Queelag's, and probably three or four more places I've forgotten about. I have no idea what to do next besides killing more demons. It's exhilarating...

Zeliard

The menu screens contain tons of info. You just have to navigate them properly with various presses of Square/X and Triangle/Y.

Hitting select also gives you tool tips.

mxgt

Banned
And where is equip burden listed?

I2l58.jpg

Cmon, it's not like it's hidden away or anything, it's right there in the stat screen

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I hope the next Souls game has a more rigid class system so bosses can act differently depending on what class you are using. Four-shotting bosses with sorcery while not having to get close in NG+ is a little ridiculous.

Even though I spoiled myself on a lot of things, nothing beats the unknown in this game. I got the Drake Sword without looking up anything online, the Hydra was a total surprise and fighting both Gravelord Nito and the Four Kings without knowing anything about them was great.

I hope the next Souls game has a more rigid class system so bosses can act differently depending on what class you are using. Four-shotting bosses with sorcery while not having to get close in NG+ is a little ridiculous.

No..... no.... I love the free-form nature of the classes in Dark Souls and the vararity of builds that you can come up with. Don't like 4-shotting stuff? stop using sorceries.

They could address this with balance tweaks such as increasing magic resist on enemies, AI changes like being able to detect and dodge out of the way of projectiles, or charging in for a dash-attack to interrupt a cast/etc.

Going with a 'more rigid class system' would be the last way I'd want to see this addressed.

JeTmAn81

Even though I spoiled myself on a lot of things, nothing beats the unknown in this game. I got the Drake Sword without looking up anything online, the Hydra was a total surprise and fighting both Gravelord Nito and the Four Kings without knowing anything about them was great.

How did you end up doing that? It seems like such a random thing to stumble onto without any foreknowledge. Who would think to sit around taking potshots at his tail? Or I guess you get it if you just out and out kill him, too.

got bored with filling the lordvessel on my sl72 sorcerer so I started a pyromancer who I want to make a low level darkwraith. so far I've made it to the muff dragon without leveling at all, but he's a bit of a dps check so I need to do some farming and then ascend the crap out of my flame.

I want the opposite actually, I'd like to create my own whacky classes.

Zaventem

How did you end up doing that? It seems like such a random thing to stumble onto without any foreknowledge. Who would think to sit around taking potshots at his tail? Or I guess you get it if you just out and out kill him, too.

When i bought it for consoles the guide book was delayed.I got it by trying to kill the drake, ran under him and attacked him and hit his tail and it dropped off.To this day i still think running under the drake and cutting off his tail is easier and shooting a zillion arrows.

I saw the tail there, was mad because he had killed me a couple of times, so decided to shoot it. Since it obviously did damage I decided to continue in case I could kill him.

2AdEPT

O&S, Capra Demon are unavoidable and cannot be backstabbed/riptosed. How many people have had trouble with those? Plus melee are the ones that are having the most problems with multiple enemies.

Look, if you can spend most of your time in the game fighting only one enemy or setting up the situation for you to do that, then suddenly you force the players to fight multiple enemies and having them to be forced to learn how to lock/unlock and handle the camera at the same time, obviously players will hit a brick wall. It's not a gradual learning curve but a sudden jump. Yes, people can eventually learn how to do it, but you can't argue it's a good game design.

Of course its good to great game design based on the idea that multiplayer/community play is supposed to be the norm from the developers perspective...that was what their focus was and although I have no link I have herad it enough times in interviews to be sure I am not mistaken. It is simple cross contamination with the "norm" of first person video games nowadays to assume that soloing was the developers intent...it was not.

THink about it?? The bosses would be too easy if they made the bosses for soloing...they have to be somehwat of a challenge for up to three comrades. If you are having trouble dropa sign, help on bosses, learn the ropes, than hire your own help and do it.

I am over a 1000 hours in for souls games since 2009 and although I can hold my own and likely could "solo O&S" for example...I don't think I ever have (uness incompetnat helper death early an dme finishing solo counts) for the simple reason that I find it more fun to colaborate. THose that want to get macho and say that the design was for the whole game to be solo'd are mistaken.....clearly, with NPC helpers for many bosses that have multiple enemies (maneaters were the origianl demon's variety with no offline help but did have the arrow job which got rid of one and was unlikley to be a glitch) O&S, Gargoyles; Capra does not but is obviously a doable and intended solo trek using the stairs and drop theme.

THere is absolutely zero impetus from a developer perspective for all these macho types on here to be "forced" to solo through this game when it was obviously designed to be multiplayer focused (several non-summonable, non-NPC-help areas excepted.) THat said, the largest complaint I have with the PC version is the poor rate of summons and invasion rate fails etc. THis is unacceptable from the perspective of the developers as it is was their intent ot have proper help....the NPC offline was a way to apease that a bit in the console verisons, but the PC version is worse still than consoles for PVP hits!!

zkylon

zkylewd
You're so alone in this dude :p

theta11

It was pretty much the same in Demon's Souls as well. Actually, much worse since casting was based on MP and 1 Firestorm took down almost every boss. The only reason I don't that would work or rather more trouble than it's worth would be the implications it would have with coop. I think giving bosses faster and longer range attacks as well as a way to defend themselves (blocking) would go a long way.

Ok guys, I need to have something to light up the Tomb of Giants. I've heard about the "Sunlight maggot", but I can only kill 5 bugs, and supposedly there are 9.

So what else can I use? The spell to light up everything sold by that chick in Darkroot Basin can't be bought at the moment because she's in the DLC.

So I guess the only thing I can get is a skull lantern or something? Where do I find that?

Ok guys, I need to have something to light up the Tomb of Giants. I've heard about the "Sunlight maggot", but I can only kill 5 bugs, and supposedly there are 9.

So what else can I use? The spell to light up everything sold by that chick in Darkroot Basin can't be bought at the moment because she's in the DLC.

So I guess the only thing I can get is a skull lantern or something? Where do I find that?

Necromancers have a low chance to drop it, and there's also a chest near the first bonfire of the Tomb that has it.

Ridley327

If you haven't killed them already, the necromancers in the Catacombs drop them. Otherwise, there's a Skull Lantern in a chest in the Tomb.

Sullichin

I agree with 2adept, if you're struggling with O&S summon a phantom or two, even if it's just Solaire. If there's ever a boss in this game to co-op it's this one. You can always save beating them solo on subsequent playthroughs.

There's one bug that drops the sunlight maggot, it is on the izalith side of the shortcut door, the one closest to the door I believe.

Cast light can be bought from Elizabeth (mushroom) in the DLC

Or you can go through the beginning of the level with nothing and get the skull lantern right after the first bonfire. The way TOTG was meant to be experienced!

If you haven't killed them already, the necromancers in the Catacombs drop them. Otherwise, there's a Skull Lantern in a chest in the Tomb.

Chest? It's just lying on the floor. Is there another one?

theta11

You can find the latern inside the Tomb of Giants
in the pit Patches kicks you into
. The Sunlight Maggot is on the red-eyed bug but
you need complete Solaire's quest line make sure he doesn't go hollow and for that you need to be a level 2 Chaos Servant.

theta11

Is it just lying on the floor? Maybe I'm mixing my items up.

Fun fact: there are actually no chests at all in the Catacombs or Tomb of Giants. Probably because every item is on some dead person or grave. lol I think it's a nice detail that alot of people miss.

Ridley327

Fun fact: there are actually no chests at all in the Catacombs or Tomb of Giants. Probably because every item is on some dead person or grave. lol I think it's a nice detail that alot of people miss.

That's pretty cool, actually. I can't think of a lot of games that would bother to sweat details like that, but Dark Souls does it all the time, especially in Anor Londo.

krakov

You're so alone in this dude :p

Which is stupid. Really don't see why adding more variety would be a bad thing?
You can pretty much just skip the character creator as it doesn't really matter what class you choose or what (horrible) starting gift you chose. Class specific traits would be pretty awesome IMHO, another reason to keep playing and try new stuff. I think someone else mentioned Origin-style starting locations for classes which would also be pretty cool. I want a super depraved class that starts out at the bottom of Blight town with low health and shitty gear. (and 1 fps)

Vaporak

THink about it?? The bosses would be too easy if they made the bosses for soloing...they have to be somehwat of a challenge for up to three comrades. If you are having trouble dropa sign, help on bosses, learn the ropes, than hire your own help and do it.

Uhh, the bosses are really easy if you are co-oping for them. The fact that the bosses don't change behavior when you summon people is also more evidence that the encounters were designed for playing solo and then just had their HP buffed for when you add a phantom. Summoning is there essentially as the easy mode for the game.

Top Bottom