• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sarcasm

whats good about shadow armor? poison defense?

I used all three of those.

The armor makes the poison bar slightly longer which is enough time to run through the poison swamp. If you don't have the ring you can't run - you actually like creep through very slow with out it. Spider Shield comes handy especially vs the snipers that shoot poison darts. Makes it not poison if your blocking them.

I feel completely lost in sens...haha kinda fun. But I have this naggign feeling I am missing a lot of items.

Also finally got balder side sword...so now I have iato +10 and a balder side sword +10

The iato has higher base damage while having less dmg on the heavy.
BSS is less base but higher dmg on thrust...dunno what to use lol.

I looooove the balder side sword

I thought I would be underwhelmed since I grabbed the katana of the undead merchant and loved it. felt bad for killing him though LOL and decided to roll a new character, especially since I found out there is a nice katana for free in blight town

but wow, the range and damage of 2 handed thrust is insane - dont need to use my halberd any more.

Sarcasm

I thought I would be underwhelmed since I grabbed the katana of the undead merchant and loved it. felt bad for killing him though LOL and decided to roll a new character, especially since I found out there is a nice katana for free in blight town

but wow, the range and damage of 2 handed thrust is insane - dont need to use my halberd any more.

Yeah but I just got the lightning spear..seems really good in sens fortress. Though I have high feeling I am gonna go back to balder..I still need my flame equipped when I need it. Barely use it might as well equip sword & spear.

kodt

Banned
I know most of you won't approve but I was messing around with a Trainer to see what it could do. Then I tried invading.

Surprisingly the trainer works in multiplayer as well. I had infinite HP on, which seemed to make you invincible online as long as you don't get hit by an attack that would drain all of your HP.

I only did one invasion this way and then messaged the guy telling him I was just testing.

Of course I don't condone this, it removes challenge and fun from the game, and is also hacking. Pretty bad that single player cheats work in MP though, this game has zero cheat protection it seems.

Grief.exe

I know most of you won't approve but I was messing around with a Trainer to see what it could do. Then I tried invading.

Surprisingly the trainer works in multiplayer as well. I had infinite HP on, which seemed to make you invincible online as long as you don't get hit by an attack that would drain all of your HP.

I only did one invasion this way and then messaged the guy telling him I was just testing.

Of course I don't condone this, it removes challenge and fun from the game, and is also hacking. Pretty bad that single player cheats work in MP though, this game has zero cheat protection it seems.

Yep, its easy to tell when someone is using the infinite HP cheat in multiplayer.

When you hit them the damage will say 63000 or something along those lines, its really just them healing the attack.

Haunted

I have nothing against using trainers in SP. If that's how people want to play their game, that's their prerogative.

As soon as you take it online (not you, I mean in general), it's just a dick move.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
As far as the pendant thing goes I was fooled by that as well. I though it lead to an extra cutscene or boss fight or had some kind of impact. Turns out From's director was just trolling the whole time by getting players to pick a useless item to make their playthrough harder because it does absolutely nothing.

Is there a way to avoid being parried by an enemy? I find that I can battle through hoards of dirty undeads and knights and junk without getting hit, but if they parry me, I'm dead with one of their strikes. Is there something I can press or something I can do with timing to avoid being parried? It's kinda bumming out my combat skills, lol. It only happens on average once an hour but always at the worst time :/

Jumping R2 attacks can't be parried, also you can always tell when an NPC is going to parry because they slow down and raise their weapon differently (Skeletons hold their blade horizontally and Balder Knights hold thier straight out in front of them in a parry pose).

what a great time to play PC RPG's

I put buying GW2 on hold thanks to being addicted to Dark Souls waiting for the greenman to have digital sold (for the 25%) but they made some in stock, only deluxe edition but with 25% off coupon came to the same $60 price as regular would have been. so I bought that.

then borderlands 2 coming out next week looks really good.

At this rate I will still be playing dark souls...I havent got further than blight town, been having fun creating new character types. Will probably keep going with my current lightweight < 25% EL, magic wielding, Balder SS (and future katana) wielding pyromancer.

Ashler

Oh wow... Btw, DLC and normal game spoilers!

Just headed back to the Sif boss battle (after beating the DLC and saved baby Sif) and noticed that FROM changed the Sif cutscene before you fight him. What a gut wrenching moment, I couldn't bring myself to kill Sif.

TheExodu5

Banned

I've started using a Silver Knight Sword now. Range and R2 not quite as good as Balder's Side Sword, but it has 263 damage at +5, which is a fair bit more than Balder.

I'll switch back to Balder when I can get it to +15.

JeTmAn81

Sen's Fortress is tougher than I thought it would be. Spent a couple of hours on it last night and still haven't gotten past the roof. Those pendulum traps make everything a lot trickier. It seems like there should be a bonfire somewhere in the fortress too, but as far as I can tell there isn't. Not sure about going into the pit to try tackling those Titanite Demons, either. Lightning spear rocks the house though.

For those Raging at Capra demon + dogs, which I HATED before learning good tactics, I killed him first time with my new character.

First Grab the Wolf Ring which gives you great poise (+40) and prevents capra knocking you down, for example while you are estus healing. Its easy to get from the darkroot place, go right of the glowing door (next to the bonfire behind the invisible wall) and then when you enter the large open area take an immediate right and destory the tree that kinda blocks the path. Then down there, explore to find the wolf ring.
Second, get a nice shield with good stability. I used hollow shield.
Then get a nice weapon and get some resin, eg the lightning damage, 3 can be grabbed for free in undead burg area. Estoc is probably best since you can use behind shield, and you can grab one beginning of game going down from firelink. I used balder side sword since I had one, but nice thing with estoc is with resin you get one hit kills on the dogs.
Apply resin before walking through white doorway, focus on taking out dogs, using stairs to get away from capra, and also doing side rolls to evade his dual blade attack which is unblockable.
Remember once the first estus triggers you can trigger a second without waiting for the first to end. You can also grab +2 upgrade very early in game. I also like to have faith healing so I can heal without using my 10 estus before a boss fight. Remember humanity can heal too if you dont have faith healing, so you may want a few in your quickbar in case you run out.

Sen's Fortress is tougher than I thought it would be. Spent a couple of hours on it last night and still haven't gotten past the roof. Those pendulum traps make everything a lot trickier. It seems like there should be a bonfire somewhere in the fortress too, but as far as I can tell there isn't. Not sure about going into the pit to try tackling those Titanite Demons, either. Lightning spear rocks the house though.

Since im a wuss at this game, I usually put down summon signs in any new areas I visit so I can learn the layout/hazards etc without the risk of losing souls.

Yesterday while helping some random dude he showed me where the Bonfire is at the top, its really well hidden. He promptly booted me off his game so that he could use this bonfire. I havent been able to reach it by myself since then :(

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
After ignoring the dragon on the bridge for like 20 hours I just ran through his legs and he disappeared. Kind of a letdown.
Haha. He flies off into the distance since he can't get you once you are in the Sunlight Chapel.

But if you think he's gone you are sorely mistaken.

If you feel brave enough come back through via Undead Burgh or the bridge and he will return to roast you once again.

Sullichin

Hmm I'm guessing this is for co-op?
I feel like that armor combination would look fairly ugly. That's subjective of course. But black iron armor with such a tiny weapon might look a little silly.
Your sorcery is going to be very underwhelming with only 16 INT if you aren't using dusk crown + bellowing dragoncrest, and even still. If the main purpose is to just use great magic weapon, you could start with a class like wanderer that only has one attunement slot, and you'd be able to squeeze in more vit/end if you wanted.

He probably used the dragon head glitch.

Or you just stop leveling. Having millions of souls and 99 humanity on a pvp character isn't abnormal.

JeTmAn81

Does the bridge dragon regenerate health if you don't kill him in a single encounter? Or can you just keep dying, reloading and hacking away at him some more?

Does the bridge dragon regenerate health if you don't kill him in a single encounter? Or can you just keep dying, reloading and hacking away at him some more?

I think he heals during the encounter if you aren't fast enough, which stops you from picking away at him with a bow from a distance.

Shouldn't the thread title say "Durante does in 23 minutes what Hijinx can't" ?

Yeah, I keep hearing that Hijinx developed this port, but I can't find any solid info, just tidbits on forums from when the port was announced. Perhaps they were initially until FROM got wind of the SHHD scenario :p

cjsnapp

Neo Member
well i finally got invaded for the first time yesterday and took them out with ease. just block/stab/block/stab.

i also made some decent progress. finished up Blighttown, snagged up the claymore and upgraded it to +6, upgraded my halberd to +9.

Sen's Fortress is however whooping my ass as I think I should go find a bow somewhere and stock up on arrows to take care of the lightning shooting snake bastards. Are there any prerequisites for using a bow? Dexterity or anything?

Is there a consensus on what weapons you should make Lightning/Fire? Anything with bad scaling, I suppose? Having some elemental damage would be immensely helpful on some bosses.

dunno about consensus ha. a fair amount of things are weak to fire, so chaos weapons are pretty good and the fire damage scales with your humanity. make both types (fire and lightning) if you can.

For weapons I like the great scythe, gargoyles halberd (or similar), bastard swords. but you're right, just pick something with low stat scaling but good base damage (as this will determine the end result) and has moves that you like.

dunno about consensus ha. a fair amount of things are weak to fire, so chaos weapons are pretty good and the fire damage scales with your humanity. make both types (fire and lightning) if you can.

For weapons I like the great scythe, gargoyles halberd (or similar), bastard swords. but you're right, just pick something with low stat scaling but good base damage (as this will determine the end result) and has moves that you like.

Fire Scythe's are awesome.

EasyMode

well i finally got invaded for the first time yesterday and took them out with ease. just block/stab/block/stab.

i also made some decent progress. finished up Blighttown, snagged up the claymore and upgraded it to +6, upgraded my halberd to +9.

Sen's Fortress is however whooping my ass as I think I should go find a bow somewhere and stock up on arrows to take care of the lightning shooting snake bastards. Are there any prerequisites for using a bow? Dexterity or anything?

Minimum 12 dexterity for the short bow.

Grief.exe

You're the second guy to mention that From didn't actually port this, but where is that info from?

I think they are just making fun of hijinx since silent hill HD was probably the worst port ever.

There are issues with dark souls, but they are easily fixable. And at least the extra content from added is amazing.
With silent hill, it seems like they fundamentally made the games worse. From everything they added in (new textures, and sounds), to all the sound glitches and replacements, to the horrible performance. They really messed up.

From definitely did the dark souls port though.

There is a bonfire on the roof,
On one of the platforms/terraces, look for part of the edge of the roof that is missing - you can then drop down and use a bonfire there

There is also a short-cut that you can that takes you up from the first pendulum walk-way to the roof.

You're pushing the stick around and in once while juggling other things. Obviously you know that. Against Capra and Smough, running is quite necessary because staying in close range while you haven't take care of their companions doesn't work. Being close of course makes them easier to hit you, but you also have the problem of close camera angles making it difficult to see their companions. Maybe it does for you and you're awesome.

If you stay in close, some of their attacks will go over your head. You can also pay attention and know when to run, step to the side, or unlock and try and dart through their legs.

You can block once against Smough, but twice? Then you need to chug a flask. Or maybe you have high enough poise, which is another concept that can be oblivious to new players.

Better yet - try not to get hit. If you do block, but still take damage - wait for the right time to chug a flask. Hell, this is still a mistake I make of 'oh shit, chug!' the moment I take damage, but really - you should re-position yourself, pay attention and wait for the right time to chug.

They're not unblockable, but blocking them prevents you from counterattacking effectively. Smough's attacks are of course heavy, Ornstein's attacks usually push you back or stun you enough that avoiding them are better to get more hits in.

- avoid getting hit and manually dodge out of the way
- or, have enough poise
- or, use a great shield
- and/or, use grass to regen stamina which can help loads

O&S is hellofafight, I still have a hard time with it if trying it solo, it's even harder if you are trying to kill a specific one first to get their soul/armor.

One thing I have noticed with O&S though, is some times their AI can get very 'streaky' --- I'll get like 5 attempts in a row where they are super aggressive and I go splat before I even manage to get a hit in, then I'll get sort of like, the 'easy-mode-AI set' of which for some reason - they are not nearly as aggressive and I get a bit more breathing room.

By time you get to O&S though, you have already cleared about half of the game - how much more gradual of an increase do you want? For me, it's one of those fights where I tend to know exactly what to do, it's just my skill in being able to execute it near perfectly that tends to be the problem. Every death, I can almost pinpoint exactly where I fucked up -- either getting cocky and going in for an attack when I shouldn't of, or getting panicked and trying to chug a flask instead of dodging/rolling out of the way.

One of the biggest keys to the fight (especially if you are trying to kill fatty first), is positioning yourself so fatty is in-between you and the other guy. Need some spatial awareness, and often may need to give up some opportunities to attack/heal just to ensure they stay positioned the optimal way.

Ridley327

Where exactly is that shortcut?

As you make your way up the roof, you'll come across a room that has a pair of cages that you can safely walk up to. Once you open one up and enter it, you'll establish the shortcut that leads to the first pendulum walkway (right next to the snake man warrior) that will open from that point forward.

Ruuppa

As you make your way up the roof, you'll come across a room that has a pair of cages that you can safely walk up to. Once you open one up and enter it, you'll establish the shortcut that leads to the first pendulum walkway (right next to the snake man warrior) that will open from that point forward.
Damn, that will save me from so much aggravation, I though there were no shortcuts there. Thanks.

I'm thinking of making a pyromancer with like 7 attunement slots and pumping the rest into end and dex for increased cast speed. Main method of attack would be various pyromancies with a dex weapon as a backup. On a scale of 1 to 10, how terrible of an idea is this?

I was thinking of raising end so that I can roll around under 25% equipment weight and maybe rock the red tearstone, although since pyromancies don't use up stamina maybe I should just raise vit and wear super light gear.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
back to blighttown, man I love this place, I just don't know why
Blighttown is probably my favorite area too after 7 playthroughs on consoles and 3 on pc. It just has a level of design and charm that none of the other areas have. Also quelana is sitting down there in the swamp, one of my favorite characters.

I'm thinking of making a pyromancer with like 7 attunement slots and pumping the rest into end and dex for increased cast speed. Main method of attack would be various pyromancies with a dex weapon as a backup. On a scale of 1 to 10, how terrible of an idea is this?

I was thinking of raising end so that I can roll around under 25% equipment weight and maybe rock the red tearstone, although since pyromancies don't use up stamina maybe I should just raise vit and wear super light gear.

I find the range of pyromancy too limiting given how powerful you can be at melee with low cost weapons like balder side sword (low requirements, low stamina cost, low weight)

I started my character planning on being primarily pyro based with melee dex weapons, but the lack of range of pyro meant that I changed my mind and am moving to sorcery for better range.

However, bow use would also be very practical for dealing with ranged attacks.

Note that dex doesnt make a HUGE different to casting speed. You'll still be much quicker attacking (multiple times) with fast weapons like BSS or katanas than waiting for pyro to cast.

Hzoltan69

Is that room with the cages past the bonfire? My problem is getting to the bonfire in the first place...

Blighttown is probably my favorite area too after 7 playthroughs on consoles and 3 on pc. It just has a level of design and charm that none of the other areas have. Also quelana is sitting down there in the swamp, one of my favorite characters.

I actually really like Blighttown also, my initial impression of it was 'what the hell!?$', but after knowing how to prepare for it / navigate it - I think it's a rather excellent level.

Anteater

Yea I really like the layout, spent so much time exploring and grabbing everything, it's great, it's one of the maps that just kind of clicked with me

Edit: and man the enemies falls to their death a lot, it's funny
KuGsj.gif

Gotta say that they got the dragon fight right with the DLC - I've generally found the Dragon/Drake fights in the Souls games to be rather under-whelming. For a game that does boss-encounters so well, the Dragons/Drakes kinda sucked.

The DLC - such a good fight, great epic feeling to it - loved the move set. Took me quite a few tries to finally take him down (and ended up eating up 2 of my Elizabeth Mushrooms in the process), sorta wished I had backed up a save right before the boss gate so I could do it again, but I suppose there is always NG+ :p

Ridley327

Kalameet was a lot of fun, but man, his tail is one of the hardest to sever. You really are better off with a co-op partner to get that taken care of.

Thrakier

God damn this game is so fucking ruthless, really toying with my patience. What I don't like is that it tells you almost nothing. I bought a healing scroll (or miracle or whatever) and I can't equip it and I don't have any idea why not.

God damn this game is so fucking ruthless, really toying with my patience. What I don't like is that it tells you almost nothing. I bought a healing scroll (or miracle or whatever) and I can't equip it and I don't have any idea why not.

you need a talisman to equip it and enough faith to cast it

you can get a free talisman by walking up the stairs behind the guy you bought the miracle from, and roll down where the 2 elevators would be later (ie right now its just 2 doors leading to drops)

you'll then drop down and can open chests to pick one up for free

you'll need enough faith to cast the spell, and to use equip the talisman to one of your quick slots, and use bonfire to attune magic - and assign the heal miracle to a free slot

Top Bottom