• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

Well the new stone greataxe sucks. That's a shame. Way less powerful than the Demon's Greataxe, requires 2 more strength to wield, and it weighs more. I see no benefit to using it. The 2HR2 attack, like many special heavy attacks, seems pretty useless. The R1 swing seems slower than Demon Greataxe.

Jintor

Man, I totally forgot that From released unkillable black phantoms into the worlds of anybody who broke street date until the game officially released. lolololol

Gvaz

Banned
isdvBc4IemKqy.jpg

8)

ijed

It's fun. You can use it as a weapon to punch fools and suck humanity from various NPCs without aggro'ing them, and it has high defensive values as a shield with everything but physical.

only 30 stability though so one block is going to drain pretty much all your stamina.

Interesting note about the 4kings tho - will have to try that

Thrakier

I equipped my guy with new armor and a battle axe and now he's slow as hell. Where do I see the stats related to this feature? Game is seriously confusing me with thousands of numbers and info screens, I don't remember Demon's Souls to be that complicated.

Leezard

I equipped my guy with new armor and a battle axe and now he's slow as hell. Where do I see the stats related to this feature? Game is seriously confusing me with thousands of numbers and info screens, I don't remember Demon's Souls to be that complicated.

How quick you attack with the weapon is determined by the weapon. How fast you move is determined by your totalt equipment weight. stay under 50% for decent movement.

Thrakier

And where do I see that weight? I clicked through the menus and I didn't find anything. :( It should tell you right away when you equip a weapon.

And if my wonderer normally is using "axes", does it make a difference when I'm using f.e. a morningstar?

Ruuppa

According to the wikis Iaito also gets rank A for +14 and +15. And it has bleeding as an extra.
Balder has a much better strong attack imo. Repeated strong stabs with low cooldown versus one strong horizontal slash with a step-in. Depends on what you're looking for.
Does Iaito do only vertical normal attacks, or does it do horizontal when two-handed?
And where do I see that weight? I clicked through the menus and I didn't find anything. :( It should tell you right away when you equip a weapon.

And if my wonderer normally is using "axes", does it make a difference when I'm using f.e. a morningstar?
As long as you have the stats for it, you can use it. No difference.

Your weight is the Equip Load in the stat-screen, but it doesn't show the % -load that you currently have. Better find that calculator!

FtHTiny

In the Menu under the axe you see a bunch of numbers. The left one is the normal dmg. Then there are 3 (i think) numbers with the elemental dmg (0 if it´s a normal axe) and the right number is always the weight. For armor too. There is a little symbol besides it that looks kinda like a coal.
In your stats screen you can look up how heavy your gear is that you are wearing. If it´s 20/90 you run fast and have the fastest roll and so on.

No you can use whatever weapon you find the coolest/best. The starting gear doesn´t say anything.

Ruuppa

In the Menu under the axe you see a bunch of numbers. The left one is the normal dmg. Then there are 3 (i think) numbers with the elemental dmg (0 if it´s a normal axe) and the right number is always the weight. For armor too. There is a little symbol besides it that looks kinda like a coal.
In your stats screen you can look up how heavy your gear is that you are wearing. If it´s 20/90 you run fast and have the fastest roll and so on.

No you can use whatever weapon you find the coolest/best. The starting gear doesn´t say anything.

20/80(25% load) I believe. But after that you can still get faster, if the wikis are to be believed. You're the fastest at under 8% Load, iirc.

Peagles

Is there a way to avoid being parried by an enemy? I find that I can battle through hoards of dirty undeads and knights and junk without getting hit, but if they parry me, I'm dead with one of their strikes. Is there something I can press or something I can do with timing to avoid being parried? It's kinda bumming out my combat skills, lol. It only happens on average once an hour but always at the worst time :/

Ledsen

So how much did you guys spoil yourselves during your first run? I wanted to go in completely blind, but in the end... well that didn't work out. Things I spoiled:

Locations
- All the location names (through reading this thread) and many of their features
- How to get to The Great Hollow
- How to get to the secret area behind the tree in Darkroot Garden
- How to get to the Darkmoon Covenant
- How to get to the Blacksmith in the Catacombs

Enemies
- Use Divine Weapons against the skeletons, or kill their necromancer
- You can cut off bosses tails
- Most of the names of the bosses and many of their special features (such as the timer on 4K)

Weapons
- How to get the Drake Sword (although I didn't)
- The fact that the Balder Side Sword is amazing
- Other names of particularly good weapons
- The different upgrade paths and their strengths/weaknesses

Gameplay (not actually spoilers at all but still, I was aiming for a blind run)
- How humanity works
- How invasions work
- Which stats to focus on
- How equipment load affects your speed and roll
- Kindling

and some other smaller things I think... some of these are feelsbadman.jpg

Although strong attacks R2 can be parried, I don't think the AI does parry them. You can also kick (Forward R1) that definitely can't be parried. You can tell the AI is going for a parry as the change their stance.

Ruuppa

Is there a way to avoid being parried by an enemy? I find that I can battle through hoards of dirty undeads and knights and junk without getting hit, but if they parry me, I'm dead with one of their strikes. Is there something I can press or something I can do with timing to avoid being parried? It's kinda bumming out my combat skills, lol. It only happens on average once an hour but always at the worst time :/
The ones with Rapiers are horrid if they get you. If you have the speed, circle around them close range and wait for them to lunge and get them with a backstab. Parrying them back is also effective. But if you can finish them off in one two-handed strong attack, you can Jump-attack them when they're doing their initial rush. They almost always pull their guard down in mid-jump, trying to attack you, so they die instantly. Sometimes the Rapier guys can block it, so be ready to roll out of the way.
i think r2 jumping attacks cant be parried ?_?
They can't. They're great for taking out any enemy you can take out in one hit.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So how much did you guys spoil yourselves during your first run? I wanted to go in completely blind, but in the end... well that didn't work out. Things I spoiled:

One of the nice things about playing the game right when it came out was that there wasn't much information available and half of what was available was basically wild speculation or lurid fanfiction about the pendant. Even if you wanted to spoil yourself it was pretty hard, and what you did manage to spoil had a 50/50 chance of not actually being a spoiler at all.

So I didn't get much spoiled for me at all. I learned about the
Drake Sword
right around the time that it ceased to be useful, but other than that I didn't really see much of anything mentioned before I'd already seen it for myself. And I learned about the
Drake Sword
when it was still considered to be the obvious Only Weapon You Will Ever Need Ever, so it kinda falls into the total bullshit spoiler territory as well.

I imagine it's way, way harder to pull off a spoiler-free playthrough nowadays. When I first played there weren't any wikis with remotely consistently reliable content, so I ended up having to compile my own lists of equipment stats and such. You can still find some of them that I posted in the early OTs if you look. It was kind of like being a kid again and having a little notepad in front of the TV that I used to write down things I found in games so I'd remember them.

Ah, memories.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but when I hear "Strength/Faith build" I hear "Grant build." It's pretty much the only weapon in the game that needs a whole build customized just for it that's actually somewhat worth the trouble, so if you're pumping the two stats it needs anyhow... well, why not, right? You need at least 34 Strength for Grant, though, which means making some sacrifices from that build you posted. If you're willing to give up Avelyn and switch to Cleric as a starting class you can get 34 Strength at SL106, leaving you 6 more points to free up if you're dead-set on hitching your wagon to SL100.

If you've got no interest in Grant then the Obsidian Greatsword and Avelyn combo is basically the new Claymore and Avelyn combo. Can't really go wrong with it.

FtHTiny

Has anyone confirmed that the arena works via brackets and not the standard 10 + 15%?

On the console right now that´s maybe the case. Or you ask them where to pvp right now on pc with that sl. I´m sl120 for over a week now and the pvp sucks.

I've talked to quite a few high level PVPers who have been doing this since ps3/360 days and they still say 120/125 is still the way to go.

If i plant my sl120 char into the arena there aren´t even circles of other players. If i stand my sl100 onto it he gets matched constantly and there are always red circles around.

so you're saying the game requires both strategic thinking and a small amount of manual dexterity?

Well I'm certainly ok with this.

Is there something I can press or something I can do with timing to avoid being parried? It's kinda bumming out my combat skills, lol. It only happens on average once an hour but always at the worst time :/

before an enemy will parry you they will change stance. eg. you can tell when one of the balder knights is going to parry by how they hold their shield.

Peagles

Thanks all for the parry tips. I haven't seen them change stance enough to be able to identify it from memory yet, but I'll work on it.

I was hoping I might be able to parry a parry or something, hehe.

Now to take on this dragon...

Ruuppa

I had never lost a lot of souls in the 50 hours I've played, but today I've lost 91k souls and 5 humanity. It hurts.
16 Humanity, 60k souls. Capra Demon. First times I've ever lost to it. Painful and humiliating. At least it wasn't because I jumped off a cliff by pressing the dodge by accident.

Is there a consensus on what weapons you should make Lightning/Fire? Anything with bad scaling, I suppose? Having some elemental damage would be immensely helpful on some bosses.

Zaventem

Why 50 END? Anything beyond 40 END doesn't increase the stamina bar.

There are builds that go beyond 40 END to increase equip load.Remember endurance also boost equip weight.No idea what the guy you quoted plans are but i have a build with 59 endurance so i can fast roll and wear the hornet's ring with brass armor.

I had never lost a lot of souls in the 50 hours I've played, but today I've lost 91k souls and 5 humanity. It hurts.

On consoles we didn't have the arena so people went to the burg and kiln and made those hot spots for duels.I remember getting shot in the head by the crossbow archer at the burg near the steps and the hit made me fall off.... lost 99 humanity and 10 million+ souls

There are builds that go beyond 40 END to increase equip load.Remember endurance also boost equip weight.No idea what the guy you quoted plans are but i have a build with 59 endurance so i can fast roll and wear the hornet's ring with brass armor.

On consoles we didn't have the arena so people went to the burg and kiln and made those hot spots for duels.I remember getting shot in the head by the crossbow archer at the burg near the steps and the hit made me fall off.... lost 99 humanity and 10 million+ souls

Reading this makes me curious and a little confused at how you accumulated so much. Does the end of the game or new game + increase the amounts of souls and humanity you earn or are you just amazing at not dying? (or maybe PVP?)

Most humanity I've ever had was about 4 (not counting the items) and then I usually spend 2-3 on the next bonfire regaining humanity and kindling the flame, it seems that humanity is earnes really slowly.

Anyhow, just beat Ornstein and Smough (and you know who just before that room) tonight with one human summon and the funny sunlight guy. Feels good but I would like to go back and see how I do in one on one combat since Ornstein slaughtered me on my first attempt.

Leezard

Reading this makes me curious and a little confused at how you accumulated so much. Does the end of the game or new game + increase the amounts of souls and humanity you earn or are you just amazing at not dying? (or maybe PVP?)

Most humanity I've ever had was about 4 (not counting the items) and then I usually spend 2-3 on the next bonfire regaining humanity and kindling the flame, it seems that humanity is earnes really slowly.

Anyhow, just beat Ornstein and Smough (and you know who just before that room) tonight with one human summon and the funny sunlight guy. Feels good but I would like to go back and see how I do in one on one combat since Ornstein slaughtered me on my first attempt.
NG+ makes you gain about twice (or was it three times?) the souls you gain from NG.

Zaventem

PvP, because like i said, Dark Souls on consoles didn't have an arena so the community made PvP hotspots(skip kill Taurus Demon to fight in the burg section, not killing moonlight butterfly, not killing the last boss to fight at kiln etc etc).When you invade or you're invaded and kill someone you get 1 humanity and some souls based off their level, you can see how this adds up for people who are addicted to PvP.Also i've played countless hours in this game and still die to trash mobs sometimes when i want to speed run to build a character.

Robot Pants

lost 99 humanity and 10 million+ souls
The real Dark Souls begins here.

16 Humanity, 60k souls. Capra Demon. First times I've ever lost to it. Painful and humiliating. At least it wasn't because I jumped off a cliff by pressing the dodge by accident.

Is there a consensus on what weapons you should make Lightning/Fire? Anything with bad scaling, I suppose? Having some elemental damage would be immensely helpful on some bosses.
Lightning pretty much destroys everything. Fire is good too. But I'd go for lightning.

equil

He probably used the dragon head glitch.

Soulhouf

You gain so much souls and humanity if you play online (PvP/co-op).
One of my characters was in NG+5, SL120 with 30 million souls and 99 humanities. If you don't level up anymore, you end up accumulating souls without using them.

Top Bottom