• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Raxus

Thanks ixix, your insight to O&S gave me a hilarious new respect for the area and the fight.

So ixix,
where does the cannibalism issue come up?

Also, why did Sif attack you after you rescued him? Did the sword's corruption drive him insane?

elohel

backstabbing is frowned upon now?

i mean obvious backstab fishing (i.e getting up close and just circling) was a nuisance, but if someone ran away and got stuck on a tree or somethign you know i sure as hell gonna punish you for it.

other than that bowing (with ample distance to see them coming) generally precedes an honorable* match. chain back stabbing is kinda of a jerk move unless you give the person a courtesy roll to get away from you. running towards enemies if your are the invader to protect yourself is also a jerky move in a duel.

my favorite jerk move is the presumed duel with honor where your opponent bows and gets into fighting stance to fool you into a false sense of security. then while you have your attention on him, his buddy who was invisible or camouflaged as a tree pops out and backstabs you.

lol if you got stuck in a tree wouldn't you want someone to cut you some slack?

c'mon

Neiteio

So what mods are people playing with that improve performance and general appearance without drastically changing the art, etc?

backstabbing is frowned upon now?

i mean obvious backstab fishing (i.e getting up close and just circling) was a nuisance, but if someone ran away and got stuck on a tree or somethign you know i sure as hell gonna punish you for it.

other than that bowing (with ample distance to see them coming) generally precedes an honorable* match. chain back stabbing is kinda of a jerk move unless you give the person a courtesy roll to get away from you. running towards enemies if your are the invader to protect yourself is also a jerky move in a duel.

my favorite jerk move is the presumed duel with honor where your opponent bows and gets into fighting stance to fool you into a false sense of security. then while you have your attention on him, his buddy who was invisible or camouflaged as a tree pops out and backstabs you.

That happened to me in Asshole Garden. Fuck that place, I'll take the Burg any day of the week for pvp'ing.

Ridley327

So what mods are people playing with that improve performance and general appearance without drastically changing the art, etc?

I don't think you need anything else other than Durante's fix; it lets you customize the appearance of the game to your liking.

Ridley327

No computer-destroying glitches in said fix?

I've been through various versions since it came out and I haven't come across a single thing that's hurt my PC.

Durante warns about possible issues because, well, it's possible something could happen, but I think that nearly everyone that's used it has had a wonderful experience like I've been having.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Smough is clearly pissed off about things. If you kill Smough first, Ornstein gently lays his hand on Smough to absorb his power. If you kill Ornstein first, Smough smashes the shit out of him with his massive hammer. Quite the contrast.

That's centuries of bottled-up envy and anger on display. Oversized Pinwheel isn't a happy camper.

Well, that's sort of a joke explanation to explain why there's a big ol' wall full of drake in Anor Londo even though it doesn't really make sense.

I've always really loved the whole O&S dynamic. From how they've got separate, differently-sized elevators leading to Gwynevere's chamber to how Smough's whole mode of attack is to run at you and smashy-smashy while Ornstein is much more measured and patient, to the difference in how they treat each other when one dies, to how Super Ornstein gains actual new attacks over regular Ornstein while Super Smough is exactly like regular Smough except his hammer and his butt are electrified.

That whole fight is great. It tells volumes about the two of them without a single spoken word. If I had to encapsulate everything I like about Dark Souls' narrative structure into a single segment that boss fight would probably be what I'd choose.

I also love the prospect of what happens if you die to Super Smough. I just sort of picture Gwyndolin saying "Oh my god, now Smough's in charge of the knights? And right when I thought this city couldn't possibly go even further to shit."

Then I picture him heaving a long-suffering sigh and taking a big swig of Southern Comfort, 'cause that's just how Gwyndolin rolls.

Yeah, but how would Smough even fit through the door, maybe Anor Londo has a secret fireman's pole for Smough hidden somewhere... Or maybe he just puts his hammer down somewhere and slides down it. But I guess Ornstein just lives in Gwynevere's chamber, obviously.

And while I'm quoting a Souls scholar, how could From negate the detail of how inhabitants use the bathroom? Because as far as I can tell O&S and all the Silver Knights just go off the side of Anor Londo, for Gwyndolin that would explain the empty chest.

Bathroom? Haven't you seen how
Ornstein becomes gigantic after he absorbs Smough's power?
Anor Londo is clearly not a place where the law of conservation of matter is seen as anything more than a polite suggestion. In Anor Londo when somebody reads Everybody Poops they view it as satirical absurdist fantasy, not a primer on biological realities. In Gwyn's town Gwyn makes the rules, and Isaac Newton can jolly well bugger off with all that thermodynamics bullshit.

Bathrooms. Pshaw.

Thanks ixix, your insight to O&S gave me a hilarious new respect for the area and the fight.

So ixix,
where does the cannibalism issue come up?

Also, why did Sif attack you after you rescued him? Did the sword's corruption drive him insane?

I live to serve.

You know how in Jack and the Beanstalk the giant tells Jack that he'll grind Jack's bones to make his bread?
Smough took that as brilliant culinary advice.

Sif's just protecting Artorias' grave, which you're kinda sorta trying to defile. I imagine, with the new content, that he might also be concerned that if you take the Covenant of Artorias and venture into the Abyss that you'll meet the same fate as Artorias and end up going mad, and he doesn't want that.
They actually managed to make that fight more depressing, which is no small feat.

On that subject, one of my favorite things about the new stuff is how
Ciaran mourning Artorias at his grave explains why you find her ring and not his behind his tombstone. It's a really nice touch.

They do something similar with Gough, where in one of the conversations with him he idly wonders if the Anor Londo blacksmith is still hammering away, tying in to how you find Gough's ring in the blacksmith's treasure chest.

Raxus

Hahaha
Super Smough comes up the elevator with your corpse and Gwyndolin with a 'well shit' look on her face would be priceless.

I kind of wish I paid attention to the DLC story and the story behind Manus and the Abyss

rizz

Neo Member
Okay, I'm curious about something. I was fighting some skeletons in the graveyard beside the Firelink Shrine. One of the skeletons thrust his sword in my guts, and the sword got stuck! He then pulled it out with some effort. As he did, there was big splash of blood and I was knocked out.

I've been playing the game for 20 something hours and that was the first time something like that happened. So, I was curious why did that happen? Was it some kind of a weapon effect? Part of a weapon moveset? Can I do that? I saw some screenshots somewhere where someone thrust a sword in the guts of an undead soldier with blood spilling out.

Ridley327

Okay, I'm curious about something. I was fighting some skeletons in the graveyard beside the Firelink Shrine. One of the skeletons thrust his sword in my guts, and the sword got stuck! He then pulled it out with some effort. As he did, there was big splash of blood and I was knocked out.

I've been playing the game for 20 something hours and that was the first time something like that happened. So, I was curious why did that happen? Was it some kind of a weapon effect? Part of a weapon moveset? Can I do that? I saw some screenshots somewhere where someone thrust a sword in the guts of an undead soldier with blood spilling out.

He must have parried your strike, because that sounds like a classic riposte animation. There's a few other enemies that can do that, like the Balder knights, the undead thieves, and the Painting guardians.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Yeah, you got parried and riposted! Welcome to the club.

And yes, you can do that. Just use a normal shield (or no shield) and hit L2 and if you get it right hit R1 for the riposte.

Edit: Beaten.

rizz

Neo Member
He must have parried your strike, because that sounds like a classic riposte animation. There's a few other enemies that can do that, like the Balder knights, the undead thieves, and the Painting guardians.

Yeah, you got parried and riposted! Welcome to the club.

And yes, you can do that. Just use a normal shield (or no shield) and hit L2 and if you get it right hit R1 for the riposte.

Thanks for the explanation. The game continues to amaze me. I've tried parrying but couldn't get it to work. I can't even seem to get butt stab to work properly.

Many a times I saw enemies standing with their backs toward me. I'd sneak behind them and hit with the light attack like I'm supposed to (or so I hear). But it would cause normal damage instead of a critical hit. I reckon I need more practice.

Ridley327

Thanks for the explanation. The game continues to amaze me. I've tried parrying but couldn't get it to work. I can't even seem to get butt stab to work properly.

Many a times I saw enemies standing with their backs toward me. I'd sneak behind them and hit with the light attack like I'm supposed to (or so I hear). But it would cause normal damage instead of a critical hit. I reckon I need more practice.

Quick tip on making backstabs work: you can't have your shield up when attempting to do it.

rizz

Neo Member
Quick tip on making backstabs work: you can't have your shield up when attempting to do it.

Hm, Okay. I didn't know that. A friend of mine even told me that I have to hit from a certain angle to make it work. And I've actually been trying to hit from all sorts of angles. But this. This never occurred to me.

ixix

I don't think that elevator factoid has ever been posted without somebody's mind being blown.

As long as we're on the subject of easily missed things that kind of make you do a bit of a double take when you realize them:

In the Undead Burg
if you look down from the bridge where you get cooked by the Hellkite Dragon you'll notice that it runs directly over the Valley of Drakes. It ain't like the guy flew all the way there just to cook you alive undead because he's got some sort of personal vendetta or something, you and all the rest of the peeps up there are more like his noisy upstairs neighbors and he's finally gotten tired of you tromping around making a racket while he's trying to sleep. And when he's flying off it's not because you valiantly drove him into hiding or anything, he's basically just heading home to watch some TV seeing as how the noise has finally died down. But the next time you go making an awful racket up there... hoo boy, there will be consequences and repercussions. If the landlord won't make you stop, he will.

In Blighttown
if you put on the Old Witch's Ring and talk to Quelaag's sister she'll drop the mute act and actually talk to you because she thinks you're Quelaag. Feed her enough Humanity and eventually she'll tell you that she's finally starting to feel better and that it's all thanks to you, her dear sister. The obvious implication is that the whole reason Quelaag attacked you was to get your Humanity to feed to her sister to ease her suffering, and that she's set up shop in front of the Bell of Awakening to have a steady supply of Humanity-laden would-be successors to Gwyn ferrying in for her to harvest. All she wanted to do was save her sister from a lingering and agonizing death.

And you killed her. You monster.

And one of the most easily-missed things that's also one of my favorites ties into the game's recurring motif of failed knightly expeditions to Lordran. If you pay attention,
you'll notice there are three recurring types of knights: the Black Knights are the most obvious, but there are also the Balder knights that everybody farms for their precious, precious swords, and the knights of Berenike, those big guys in steel armor with tower shields and either a mace or greatsword. If you pay attention to the item descriptions you learn that the Balder Knights came to Lordran with Knight King Rendal, and that Balder was the location of one of the earliest Undead outbreaks. And if you look at the Balder Knights, you can clearly see that their armor has seen better days and their capes are in tatters. They've clearly been there for a while. The knights of Berenike are clearly more recent; their armor is still shiny and in good repair, though they've all clearly gone hollow. In all, they're the remnants of two clearly failed expeditions to Lordran. If you talk to the merchant in Sen's Fortress he clearly mentions them as having tried and failed to reach Anor Londo.

There's one little twist to the whole thing, though. If you
make Anor Londo go dark all the enemies vanish, save three. One is the Darkmoon Knightess, who shows up near the giant stairway elevator. The other two spawn in the main room of the cathedral, where the giant sentinels were before. If you look at them, one is a knight of Balder and one is a knight of Berenike. And they're not hollow. In other words, they're the last sane members of, respectively, Rendal and Berenike's expeditions to Lordran, who successfully reached Anor Londo and became Blades of the Darkmoon.

And people thought that all they were good for was farming souls.

Hahaha
Super Smough comes up the elevator with your corpse and Gwyndolin with a 'well shit' look on her face would be priceless.

I kind of wish I paid attention to the DLC story and the story behind Manus and the Abyss

The funny thing about the the DLC story is that it's pretty much making fun of the whole absurd Pendant fascination that the fanbase developed for no readily apparent reason. There was this ludicrous rumor, once upon a time, that with the Pendant you could spare Sif and then Sif and Priscilla would join a Covenant with you and then you would meet the Pygmy and then Aeris would come back to life and she and Zack would join your party. And so would Sephiroth because, hey, why not, right?

Now look at what happens in the DLC.
You get a Broken Pendant. The Broken Pendant belongs to Manus, a Primordial Human who went mad because he couldn't find his Pendant and man, he just can't live without that freakin' pendant. And so you fight the Pygmy Manus, Father of the Abyss alongside Sif, and the only way you can protect yourself from some of Manus' attacks is with... yeah, another pendant.

Meanwhile, the Pendant, the actual item that people obsessed over for no explicable reason, continues its proud tradition of doing absolutely nothing whatsoever.

I kind of love the plot of the DLC a little. Okay, more than a little.

jim-jam's tips for in combat butt-stabbing:

- lock-on to your enemy
- circle the enemy with your shield down, only bringing it up if they take a swing
- when you're behind them tap the light attack button
- BUTT STAB

if you pull off the butt-stab they will stand up facing you, so run around and stand on the other side next to where their head landed and you'll probably get another one in before they fully recover.

Zeliard

Well, that's sort of a joke explanation to explain why there's a big ol' wall full of drake in Anor Londo even though it doesn't really make sense.

Of course, but I do think there has to be envy there. Smough is your classic fated second fiddle - inferior in every imaginable way to Ornstein, and desperately yearning to hold a position that is destined to be far above him.

Plus his armor is roughly 20x uglier. The guy can't do anything right.

Eusis

make Anor Londo go dark all the enemies vanish, save three. One is the Darkmoon Knightess, who shows up near the giant stairway elevator. The other two spawn in the main room of the cathedral, where the giant sentinels were before. If you look at them, one is a knight of Balder and one is a knight of Berenike. And they're not hollow. In other words, they're the last sane members of, respectively, Rendal and Berenike's expeditions to Lordran, who successfully reached Anor Londo and became Blades of the Darkmoon.
But
there's still the Silver Knights, though that's interesting to know too.

Vaporak

And one of the most easily-missed things that's also one of my favorites ties into the game's recurring motif of failed knightly expeditions to Lordran. If you pay attention,
you'll notice there are three recurring types of knights: the Black Knights are the most obvious, but there are also the Balder knights that everybody farms for their precious, precious swords, and the knights of Berenike, those big guys in steel armor with tower shields and either a mace or greatsword. If you pay attention to the item descriptions you learn that the Balder Knights came to Lordran with Knight King Rendal, and that Balder was the location of one of the earliest Undead outbreaks. And if you look at the Balder Knights, you can clearly see that their armor has seen better days and their capes are in tatters. They've clearly been there for a while. The knights of Berenike are clearly more recent; their armor is still shiny and in good repair, though they've all clearly gone hollow. In all, they're the remnants of two clearly failed expeditions to Lordran. If you talk to the merchant in Sen's Fortress he clearly mentions them as having tried and failed to reach Anor Londo.

And people thought that all they were good for was farming souls.

Yup, and it seems that
you're not really "chosen", you're just the undead guy who happened to make it to the end. You find the bodies of all sorts of other heroes along your journey. For example you find the body of Iron Tarkus in Anor Londo implying that he made it past Sens Fortress and into Anor Londo as well.

Another bit of environmental storytelling that they don't thrust in your face, but is kind of obvious once you see it: The game takes place in "the city of the gods", and from what we can tell was the crown of human civilization, where what are basically the founding gods of the human age live. But by the start of the game it's abandoned and overrun by the undead. So while the game doesn't come out and say it, it's pretty obvious that the whole world has gone to shit and there's almost no human civilization left.

edit: Another one in Anor Londo, if you look go around looking at all the statues you'll eventually find one section with space for 3 statues, but only 2 are there. Gwyn and Gwenever are depicted, but the statue that must have been one of Gwyns other children was torn down long before you got there.

Sarcasm

I like some of the cheap methods they use to make this game supposedly hard.

Swinging axes..its not hard but if you don't really work the camera you can get knocked off.

Oh and super speed snipers in Anor Londo. Not hard per say just annoying. roll roll hit knock back and your getting arrows on both sides. I died by falling due to knock back. I did what people said was to run and roll..but lol rolling only evades soo much than your characters is all ugh must do slow motion matrix recovering move by the time you recover you got arrow in your chest and one behind you. Any tips getting past this cheap tactic?

Also says beware of dark wraith..I haven't seen one for hours yet...what it mean? Watch out for Human invaders or NPC?

web01

Regarding the dragon legs that were probably placed after the area was created like the rest of the enemies in the game.We know this from interviews.

Some guy probably made a giant lava field then they realised they didn't have a reasonable way to fill it up with enemies. So they just used the giant dragon legs.

Best way to go through this area is to simply use the ring of fog you can casually follow the path around the left side then across the two islands to the bonfire without getting aggro from any of the enemies. Then if you want to kill them for souls just get a bow and stay on the high ground above the bonfire.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is going to keep me awake for the next few nights...

Kirk:
He is actually a member of the Chaos Covenant. He was originally in the the Dark Wraiths, but he abandoned the Covenant, and uses his powers to collect humanity in order to help Quelaag's Sister.

So that's why
his body and armour can be found at the end of that tunnel near Quelaag's Sister.
Fuuuuu...

The implications ridden throughout the game's item descriptions, and even the corpses of NPCs strewn across the land are so deliciously devised. I can't wait to jump into the DLC when it hits consoles, as I really want to learn more and click the rest of the spoiler tags on ixix's posts xD

Quite sad to hear that the Pendant still doesn't do anything though. I hope I find it as funny when I get round to finishing the new content...

Ledsen

Why is the Tomb of Giants so far away? Come ooooooon. I don't want to go through the fucking Catacombs again, such a stupid area.

From the outdoor bridges in the Catacombs, you can easily fall down all the way down to the wheel skeleton chamber just outside the boss room. The bridge I fall from is the first one you reach after you start from the bonfire. From that one, you can fall on to a lower bridge, and from that one you can fall down to a ledge in the bottom chamber. Shouldn't take more than a couple of mins to get there from the start of the catacombs.

Ok, I'm seriously considering picking this up for PC even though I have the 360 SKU.

I've put about 6 hours into the 360 SKU and barely got anywhere. Now that I've been reading up on how to play, I want to give it a serious go.

Is it worth the price for the PC SKU, given it's additional content and the graphics mod fix? Is the graphics mod stable now, or does it still break a lot of the VFX in the game?

How prevalent are cheaters? That could be a serious dealbreaker for me.

Also, I have an i5 quad at 2.7 ghz with a 6850 1 gig card. Is that enough horsepower to play the game at 1080p?

I don't think Durante's mod ever broke "a lot of the VFX". It was always stable. The first or maybe second version had some sort of minor problem as I recall, but he's released like 10 more version after that and they've all been perfect and added more and more features. And yes, the game looks about 100000x better on PC.

I don't think Durante's mod ever broke "a lot of the VFX". The first or maybe second version had some sort of minor problem as I recall, but he's released like 10 more version after that and they've all been perfect and added more and more features. And yes, the game looks about 100000x better on PC.

he probably means the fact that you have to turn off the shitty aa and use supersampling instead.

quelle horreur!

Eusis

Hell, the only thing I'd say it really broke beyond the AA are some of the logos and menus, and that apparently has to do with the fact they're distinct textures stuck together. Guess the way it was rendered before hid the seams.

That's a fair point. I forget about them sometimes.
Just like Gwyn did.
I wonder if
he left a small group to watch over Anor Londo under Gwyndolin's command, or what. Seems to make the most sense, or at least the command of whoever was there. Also makes me wonder if the Smough and Ornstein you face are even real, it seems sort of odd to let one of the four knights be killed in a test (though I can see them doing that for Smough because no one likes him.)

d0c_zaius

man 4 kings NG+ is really rough. I can barely get to finish killing one before they are all on me and its dead time.

and this is at SL 110. now ive been sitting in front of the boss fog gate for 40 minutes praying for a summon sign.

oh im using a fire halbard maxed and maxed pyro glove.

equil

man 4 kings NG+ is really rough. I can barely get to finish killing one before they are all on me and its dead time.

and this is at SL 110. now ive been sitting in front of the boss fog gate for 40 minutes praying for a summon sign.

Try using the full havel armor set. It made a huge difference for me. And if you have any of those stamina plant things use those aswell.

Lusankya

I usually found summon signs right at the beginning of the area, where all those red undeads are chilling.

Dascu

Yes every character should have the heal spell, small investment and essential if you want to co op with people.

But if he's not planning to play co-op, then it's really not needed. Estus flask is plenty of healing and those stat points can be invested better in other stats.

I'm convinced griggs killed that guy and put him in the barrel. The whole "help I'm stuck" is just a deception.

Edit: although, that doesn't explain who stuck all the other people in barrels..

ixix

And some people don't think Dark Souls has much of a story

In a way that demonstrates how well it works as a video game story. Someone not inclined to care much for the story and just wants some damn PvP can basically pretend it doesn't even exist without ever being forced to so much as skip a long-winded cutscene. But if you're inclined towards figuring the whole thing out well, hey, look at all this stuff. It's there if you want it, but if all you care about are the mechanical bits and the hot violent undead-on-undead action the game ain't going to say fie.

It's kind of strange because an almost entirely experiential narrative structure like what Dark Souls employs is an incredibly effective use of the medium, but you almost never see it. It's kind of a shame, really.

This is going to keep me awake for the next few nights...

Kirk:
He is actually a member of the Chaos Covenant. He was originally in the the Dark Wraiths, but he abandoned the Covenant, and uses his powers to collect humanity in order to help Quelaag's Sister.

So that's why
his body and armour can be found at the end of that tunnel near Quelaag's Sister.
Fuuuuu...

The implications ridden throughout the game's item descriptions, and even the corpses of NPCs strewn across the land are so deliciously devised. I can't wait to jump into the DLC when it hits consoles, as I really want to learn more and click the rest of the spoiler tags on ixix's posts xD

Quite sad to hear that the Pendant still doesn't do anything though. I hope I find it as funny when I get round to finishing the new content...

The new stuff's great on the whole, the only real reservation I have about it is that it goes a little too far in some ways in terms of dispelling the game's ambiguity.

Yup, and it seems that
you're not really "chosen", you're just the undead guy who happened to make it to the end. You find the bodies of all sorts of other heroes along your journey. For example you find the body of Iron Tarkus in Anor Londo implying that he made it past Sens Fortress and into Anor Londo as well.

Another bit of environmental storytelling that they don't thrust in your face, but is kind of obvious once you see it: The game takes place in "the city of the gods", and from what we can tell was the crown of human civilization, where what are basically the founding gods of the human age live. But by the start of the game it's abandoned and overrun by the undead. So while the game doesn't come out and say it, it's pretty obvious that the whole world has gone to shit and there's almost no human civilization left.

edit: Another one in Anor Londo, if you look go around looking at all the statues you'll eventually find one section with space for 3 statues, but only 2 are there. Gwyn and Gwenever are depicted, but the statue that must have been one of Gwyns other children was torn down long before you got there.

I don't think the whole world has gone to shit, so much as it is very noticeably in the process of going to shit at the time of the game. Lordran's in a pretty terrible state, obviously, but for the most part you meet individual representatives of all sorts of places who don't speak of their homeland as having been wiped out. The game mentions that Catarina has lots of proud knights, for example, but only two of them actually appear in Lordran and one of 'em ain't even undead. Presumably the rest are all off chilling and being all onion-y in Catarina. Rhea is the latest in a long line of people sent to Lordran on missions by the Way of White, and nothing she says ever implies that the Way of White isn't still active out there, waiting to send more hapless knights and maidens to play the pyromaniac. Griggs and Rickert don't talk about Vinheim in the past tense, Lautrec makes no mention of Carim having been wiped out, and so on. Balder is the only place outside of Lordran that I recall off-hand that's expressly stated to have been eradicated. Things seem to be heading south in a hurry, but I don't get the impression that the world is supposed to have gone to hell just yet.

The empty dais' in Anor Londo presumably once held statues of
Gwyn's Firstborn, who lost the annals and was exiled for being such an irredeemable dumbass. It's kind of implied that Gwyndolin was basically Gwyn's secret child that nobody knew about, seeing as how there aren't even any stands for Gwyndolin statues in Anor Londo. Gwyn's Firstborn was well-known and celebrated but ultimately forcibly removed from history Soviet-style, whereas everybody just pretended Gwyndolin didn't exist from the word go. That little detail has always lent credence to the interpretation of Gwyndolin being a noble-yet-tragic figure, and not a conniving schemer and the game's real antagonist to me.

I wonder if
he left a small group to watch over Anor Londo under Gwyndolin's command, or what. Seems to make the most sense, or at least the command of whoever was there. Also makes me wonder if the Smough and Ornstein you face are even real, it seems sort of odd to let one of the four knights be killed in a test (though I can see them doing that for Smough because no one likes him.)

I like how
Smough being Ornstein's right-hand man shows how badly Anor Londo has declined. Once upon a time Gwyn had four noble knights, now only one of them remains and the best he can muster up to help him guard the most important place in Anor Londo is a cannibal executioner who seems to pretty much hate him.

The new stuff adds a bit of a twist to it in a way, what with
Gough and Ciaran not meeting any end that we know of and instead pretty much just seemingly abandoning their positions. Ciaran obviously gives up as a direct result of Artorias' death, but Gough's got a real nihilistic streak to him if you exhaust his dialogue. He's pretty wistful and nostalgic in general and at one point he pretty much says flat-out that eventually the Abyss is going to consume everything. Like he'd been losing his faith in things for a long time and the death of Artorias was just the final straw.

Kind of adds to the pathos a bit.
Ornstein being the last surviving member of the four knights is sad enough. Being abandoned by the other two surviving knights and left with Smough as the best he can muster is even worse. Who the hell leaves somebody alone with Smough? I mean really.

Poor fella.

KSai

Being abandoned by the other two surviving knights and left with Smough as the best he can muster is even worse.

Gough is blind, what's he going to do? He retired after his handicap.

I don't think the whole world has gone to shit, so much as it is very noticeably in the process of going to shit at the time of the game.
Lordran might not even exist. Time has been distorted so badly that if you clear the time rift there could be nothing there.

dino1980

For anyone who has stuttering problems that occours in two-three seconds intervalls or 5-10 seconds try this.

1. Go to your Steam Library
2. Right click on Dark souls
3. Click Properties
4. Uncheck Enable Steam Community Ingame
5. Launch game and enjoy!

The stuttering is now gone for me after I did this and it seems im getting better FPS (can be maybe Durantes v1.2 that is bether optimized).

Read afterwards on the internet that one other person had the same problem with DS (why didnt I search "DS stuttering" before I started testing alot of stuff to fix it). He had every ten seconds stuttering. He checked his CPU and also there every ten seconds steam was hogging 40% of his CPU. After he unchecked steam community ingame it was gone.

For me I can now have the following with only slowdowns at firelinks and no stuttering what so ever.

Res 3840*2160
SMAA Ultra
DOF 1080
DOF Blur 1
SSAO 2

Top Bottom