• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Gough is blind, what's he going to do? He retired after his handicap.

Except he freaking
shoots a dragon out of the sky in spite of being blind. Dude does not need to see to ruin the shit of a giant lizard.

It also doesn't actually seem to be a handicap. The description of his helmet says the eye holes were packed with tree resin by those who dismissed Gough as a brutish giant. So it's not that he doesn't have eyes, he just seems to refuse to use them to show up all the haters.
Truly an inspirational fellow.

NBtoaster

Is there a story behind Ariamis and Crossbreed Priscilla?

And why does she say the land is kind when there are just murderous hollows, bird people and an undead dragon?

Eusis

I'm convinced griggs killed that guy and put him in the barrel. The whole "help I'm stuck" is just a deception.

Edit: although, that doesn't explain who stuck all the other people in barrels..
Maybe that was his friend that he was locked up with, who died first so he put him in a barrel as a sort of burial until he could leave and provide a better one. Of course the psychopath that frees him rolls into the barrel and steals his clothes before Griggs can say anything, and he's too meek to protest.

Actually, do they even need to eat or anything as undead? You have that magician blacksmith locked up and perfectly content being there.

Eusis

According to that reddit link Ingward moves to firelink shrine if you talk to him after beating four kings. News to me!
Too bad that by then you're probably not in serious need of his aid, and he'd just move back in NG+ (naturally) anyway. I suppose anyone who's crazy and manages to get to the Darkwraith covenant near the start could benefit though.

NBtoaster

Too bad that by then you're probably not in serious need of his aid, and he'd just move back in NG+ (naturally) anyway. I suppose anyone who's crazy and manages to get to the Darkwraith covenant near the start could benefit though.

To do that without the lordvessel you need to kill him though.

krakov

And why is adding restrictions a good thing? a big part of the 'spirit of the game' is that it is so open, why change that by making certain things class-limited?

The souls games offer such a wide range of play-styles and the ability to 'create your own challenge', do you want to face-roll with a strong build? challenge yourself by refusing to use shields? Then that is up to you.

What makes your character in the game is the stats you spend, the abilities you use, and the items you equip - and the synergy between stats / spells / gear defines your class and build. I find this much more interesting, and adds much more re-play value then a more restricted class system.

Do you want to be a pure mage? a mage/dex build? a mage/str build? There are various items to accommodate that - the new talisman scales dark magics up with strength and not int, this is where they can add 'replay and diversity' to the game. No need to slap on artificial class restrictions.

It's not like that at all.
Right now you have essentially one class. If there were ten of them, that is not a restriction in any way. I'm not saying make mages be the only ones to cast magic but rather give them a small perk that make them differ from other classes. You can still do everything but also have a personal touch worth investing in. Also, chosing a specific class is still "up to you" no? only choices after the character creator counts as free choice?

Thrakier

I can't kill those fucking belltwoer gargoyles. The second is fucking me up with his fire. I don't even know if I'm supposed to fight them yet.

Gregorn

Since you're discussing the lore, what exactly do each endings mean? I've finished the game countless times but I have never known what exactly I'm doing.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
In order to sate my hunger for the DLC without spoiling myself with these tempting spoiler tags, can someone please answer these questions - in as non-spoiler-y way as possible?

1. Is it easy to happen across the new content during the course of a regular playthrough?
2. Is it possible to head straight to the new content on an endgame or NG+ character? If so, is this recommended? (It's been hinted that some different stuff can happen if certain things aren't done/bosses aren't dead...)
3. What has been the general approach for people who've played the main game extensively and wanted to go into the new content "blind"?

Just like with the full game, I was a month late to the proceedings and got away with only accidentally seeing a few screenshots of areas/bosses without having a clue where they'd be or at which point. I'm basically in the same position now of teasing myself, and would like to go in as un-clued-in as possible. Thanks!

Gvaz

Banned
Just defeated
Ceaseless Discharge
LEGIT. MANO Y MANO. Eyes locked(she has way more eyes which is unfair, but you see where I'm going) while we fought to one of our respective deaths(mostly mine, but I only have to win once). And now I'm officially further than I was my 360 locked up last year.

Lost Izalith is lame. The enemy layout looks like it took someone 45 seconds to click around a bit

EDIT: Durante's ambient occlusion is fucking grand. It looks so good in motion and has no perceivable effect on performance for me(at medium quality).
Ceaseless discharge is male, actually.

FtHTiny

1. Is it easy to happen across the new content during the course of a regular playthrough?

2. Is it possible to head straight to the new content on an endgame or NG+ character? If so, is this recommended? (It's been hinted that some different stuff can happen if certain things aren't done/bosses aren't dead...)

3. What has been the general approach for people who've played the main game extensively and wanted to go into the new content "blind"?!

1. It´s possible but it´s not really a normal route you would go. But if you have played it before you will see one obvious addition that is part of the way to get to the dlc.

2. Hard to say because noone had a char on pc but i guess you could. But i wouldn´t take a super highlevel badass char because it could be to easy then.

3. I looked up the way to get there and made it kinda hard for myself. (lowlevel, no rite of kindling and so on)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is there a story behind Ariamis and Crossbreed Priscilla?

And why does she say the land is kind when there are just murderous hollows, bird people and an undead dragon?

Not much of one.
Priscilla is trapped inside the painting because the gods were afraid of her. She's half dragon and half something else, presumably the other half is either a god or a human, but the game never says one way or the other. The painting guardians have guarded the painting for so long that they no longer even remember just why it is that they're guarding it. The description of the Peculiar Doll hints a bit that Priscilla isn't an entirely unwilling prisoner, and all the descriptions of items pertaining to her imply quite heavily that she was not the least bit popular when she lived outside the painting. She also shows no desire to leave when you talk to her in the game.

Everything beyond that is speculation.
She seems to be albino like Seath, which quite a few people think implies he's her father. The Painted World itself contains a lot of items related to Velka, like Velka's Rapier, the Black Cleric armor, and the Vow of Silence Miracle, which might imply some sort of connection. I've seen it occasionally stated that Gwynevere is her mother, but there is absolutely nothing in the game that implies any such thing.

All that's in the game about Ariamis is
the name of the Painted World itself and what little Priscilla says about him. So basically nothing. Priscilla doesn't express any sort of antipathy for him, which seems to lend a bit more credence to the idea that she stays in the Painted World of her own volition.

Maybe that was his friend that he was locked up with, who died first so he put him in a barrel as a sort of burial until he could leave and provide a better one. Of course the psychopath that frees him rolls into the barrel and steals his clothes before Griggs can say anything, and he's too meek to protest.

Actually, do they even need to eat or anything as undead? You have that magician blacksmith locked up and perfectly content being there.

Funny thing about Griggs is,
he's probably not anywhere near the guileless apprentice he makes himself out to be. The Black Sorcerer clothes that he wears are described as belonging to the secret sorcerers of Vinheim, who never reveal themselves. The Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring and Hush spell that he drops if you kill him are stated to belong to a surreptitious sorcerer of Vinheim, who uses them secretly.

Add to that how you first meet him in a locked room with another dead Vinheim sorcerer and suddenly he doesn't look nearly so much like a bumbling lackwit anymore.

Since you're discussing the lore, what exactly do each endings mean? I've finished the game countless times but I have never know what exactly I'm doing.

This has always been a can of worms. The new stuff actually clarifies a bit about the endings.

Fundamentally you're making a choice between two things: kindling the first flame and perpetuating the Age of Fire, or allowing the flame to go out and ushering in the Age of Dark. Frampt wants you to succeed Gwyn and kindle the flame, Kaathe wants you to let it go out. Which is the "good" ending and which is the "bad" ending depends pretty heavily on what exactly you think the Age of Dark entails, and whether it's a good or bad thing.

There's three main bits of dialogue in the new content that are relevant to the endings. I'll just go ahead and transcribe them here, since some of them are timing-sensitive and can be missed:

The first is from Gough, who says:

"I suspect thou hast taken a gander at it, but the Dark of the Abyss, which swallowed poor Artorias, threatens to devour our entire land of Oolacile.
It seems that this dire fate is unavoidable.
But, seduced by a Dark serpent or no, they awoke that thing themselves, and drove it mad.
... One's demise is always of one's own making."

The second is Gough again:

"If thine wish is to succeed poor Artorias, and challenge the spread of the Dark, then thou must face Manus, Father of the Abyss.
The Dark emanates from Manus himself.
Even if this land shall expire, thou may be able to prevent further corrosion.
...But even so, one day the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain.
And even a legend such as thineself can do nothing to stop that."

He's a bit of a Debbie Downer, that guy.

The third bit is from Marvelous Chester:

"Fooled by that toothy serpent, they upturned the grave of primeval man, and incited his ornery wrath.
What could they have been thinking?
But to you and I, it's all ancient history.
You have to ask yourself. Does it really matter?"

He then laughs evilly, because Marvelous Chester has some issues with conducting effective interpersonal communication without coming off as a total creeper.

Basically, what all this means is that
Kaathe is probably the reason that Dusk woke up Manus, who is stated to be the source of the Abyss and of the Dark, and who is quite likely also the Pygmy, given how he's referred to as a primeval man with a connection to the Dark, just like the Pygmy. If you look at the tomb in Manus' area in the Chasm of the Abyss it's human-sized, so Manus probably wasn't always that big.

That has some pretty big implications for the endings, but dang I'm tired of typing and don't really like how much ambiguity they dispelled anyhow so I'll just let you draw your own conclusions.

Dascu

According to the interview in the Design Works artbook, Crossbreed Priscilla was originally supposed to be a friendly NPC in Firelink Shrine, similar to that blind maiden from Demon's Souls.

Thrakier

I brought Faith to 12 but I still can't use the heal scroll. Any idea why?

Also, I'm kinda happy when my character is hollow. Is butt ugly otherwise.

Trickster

Uhm, got a question here that is probably a repeat question.

Just bought the pc version. And when i started the game up it told me that it would be doing so in offline mode, because I don't have an xbl gold membership. Does this mean that I will not see messages on the floor that ppl have left behind?

Uhm, got a question here that is probably a repeat question.

Just bought the pc version. And when i started the game up it told me that it would be doing so in offline mode, because I don't have an xbl gold membership. Does this mean that I will not see messages on the floor that ppl have left behind?

You don't need a gold membership, you just need a live account. Just go to www.xbox.com and make one. Then you'll be able to see the messages and the summons, etc. :)

Well I've been on a break lately, so progress has been slow, but I got part 25 up, where I face
Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo.
Running around at SL 18 still, trying to see just how far I can push myself on this run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eR8HR86wuk

I think I'm going to head over to New Londo next, and finish that area up now that I have
the Lord Vessel.

derwalde

Well I've been on a break lately, so progress has been slow, but I got part 25 up, where I face
Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo.
Running around at SL 18 still, trying to see just how far I can push myself on this run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eR8HR86wuk

I think I'm going to head over to New Londo next, and finish that area up now that I have
the Lord Vessel.

nice channel. watching few videos <3

So I have a Large ember, several Large titanate, 8 small titanate and some green slabs. Is this enough to make a fire weapon out of my +5 balder side sword or do I need some other kind of special material?

edit

Blacksmith Vamos upgrades +5 weapons into Fire weapons which can be upgraded to +10 if you get the Large Flame Ember from Demon's Ruins. He can be found in the bottom of the catacombs, if you go down a staircase until you reach a broken dead end. You can then jump to a ledge, and then the other, and then reach the bottom. He will be at the end of the corridor.

Hmm is this something I can reach easily? I have master key and have reached blight town

FtHTiny

I can't be the only one who could just keep reading those bits of Dark Souls lore until ixix went hollow.

It's gonna make a new playthrough much, much cooler.

The lore and the npc-stories in dark souls are really. To bad most of the first time players will miss out on most on the npc´s and the little stories because they are pretty well hidden.

So I've been trying to play co-op with my friend by spamming summon signs but it's not working, he's not seeing my summon sign and and I'm not seeing his. Are there level caps, region restrictions, etc.?

Sarcasm

So I've been trying to play Co-Op with my friend but it's not working, he's not seeing my summon sign and and I'm not seeing his. Are there level caps, region restrictions, etc.?

Just post your lvls and region and map here..save the trouble for further posts =p

I'm level 36, he's 16. Location is near the bonfire in Undead Burg (the place with the archer right in front and the spearmen leading to the merchant). I'm in India, he's in Sweden.

Shinjica

I'm level 36, he's 16. Location is near the bonfire in Undead Burg (the place with the archer right in front and the spearmen leading to the merchant). I'm in India, he's in Sweden.

you must be 10% level above or belove your for see his summon sign. Safe for you

IoCaster

Well, I beat the game. I have no idea what linking the fire accomplished, but it's done. The game had a strange effect on me. I enjoyed the challenge up to a point, but it is so relentlessly grim that the later levels (Catacombs, Crystal Cave, Tomb of the Giants, etc,.) had me gritting my teeth and wanting to be done with it. Let me single out Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos for really driving me toward the exit with all haste. Good game but it just wore out it's welcome for me.

I took a quick glance at the wiki and boy did I miss a ton of content. Apparently there's a blacksmith in the Catacombs that I never found. I didn't do any of the DLC content and screwed up by giving all of the boss souls to the Lordvessel so I didn't craft any of the weapons. I did accidentally spoil myself on some content but it was mostly minor stuff. The end result was that I flat out played it blind and that was probably for the best.

In any case, I'm glad I played the game, but at this point I don't know if I'll ever try NG+ because I don't have any driving ambition to do it. Maybe after some time has passed I might be drawn back to it. Never say never, I guess. *shrug*

Sarcasm

I am getting horrible input lag..what is up with this.

Has to be this morning I was fine not getting toxicated by the fire bug head dues but now I am. Stuff like I press and it rolls a few seconds later.

It takes awhile and you should choose somewhere not so common. Both have to be human.

It's not like that at all.
Right now you have essentially one class. If there were ten of them, that is not a restriction in any way. I'm not saying make mages be the only ones to cast magic but rather give them a small perk that make them differ from other classes. You can still do everything but also have a personal touch worth investing in. Also, chosing a specific class is still "up to you" no? only choices after the character creator counts as free choice?

I still don't see the need to do this, or the real benefit. I'm just a fan of the style of RPG where starting class means next to nothing, but the 'how you play / skills you use / items you use define what you are'.

I think that distinction can come in other ways, and just dont think saying 'only X class can use Y' is a good thing for this series.

Top Bottom