• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Oh ok thanks guys
I also took a long time to cut off the kalameets tail
The best thing to do is bait him to do his flying charge attack. After he passes you be sure to run under his tail. 9 out of 10 times he will smash his tail down so dodge it and attack like a mad man. Doing this will get you at least two hits each time. And don't hit near the base of the tail, go for the mid part.

Smash88

Banned
I.....I.......... Holy Shit..... I can't believe I did it......

I beat the fat dude and lion man. Beat fatty first, and got the skinny guy....

ON MY 2ND TRY! I WATCHED STREAMS WHERE PEOPLE WERE STUCK FOR OVER 12+ hours! AND 2ND TRY I GOT IT! WHAT THE FUCK!?

NBtoaster

The wiki doesn't mention anything, which means that no one has found a use for it other than simply getting its souls... yet. You get three per playthrough, so having them just for souls is a possibility.

The other guardians dont give a usable guardian soul. They have much less health, only give 3000 souls, and respawn (and more opportunities for the tail).

The soul from the Sanctuary Gaurdian currently has no use, was reading on another forum that one of the people on the production team was saying 'was going to be used for a weapon that didn't make the cut, but since they had the sprite/etc for the soul in game - they left it there'

So pretty much - consume for souls. Then again, could be a lie/troll - but of everything I've read, no one has found a use for it yet.

rybrad

As of right now there has still been no use found for the guardian soul. It doesn't change any +10 weapon of any weapon class into a boss weapon. The scorpion tail whip is obtained from just cutting his tail off in the fight.

Dodge the attack where he flies straight at you and you'll end up right behind him. Block his tail slam attack and you get 1 free slash on the tail. Repeat till it's been cut.

Otherwise coop with a friend and cut it while he's breathing fire.

Keep a mid range distance from the boss and bait him into using his care bear stare gaze or fire breath so he stands on his hind legs and you can swipe at his tail. A weapon with an overhead strike helps immensely as well.
Thanks for the tips. I ended up summoning someone and it still took awhile but I got it done. Now I am trying to help as many people get it as I can so they can avoid that pain in the ass. On the plus side, I didn't realize helping people kill bosses gave so many souls so that's pretty cool.

The soul from the Sanctuary Gaurdian currently has no use, was reading on another forum that one of the people on the production team was saying 'was going to be used for a weapon that didn't make the cut, but since they had the sprite/etc for the soul in game - they left it there'

So pretty much - consume for souls. Then again, could be a lie/troll - but of everything I've read, no one has found a use for it yet.

Lol well that sucks then
They could have at least put something for it

Salsa

I feel like the only person in the world not playing this game

damn you Durante for making me change my mind after it came out considering I was alright when I passed on it knowing that the port was gonna be crap :( lol

Raxus

Hahaha. Foolish Salsa. You defeat!
Thanks for the tips. I ended up summoning someone and it still took awhile but I got it done. Now I am trying to help as many people get it as I can so they can avoid that pain in the ass. On the plus side, I didn't realize helping people kill bosses gave so many souls so that's pretty cool.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, getting his tail was a pain in the ass for me too. Luckily the boss itself isn't too bad. Co-op helps a ton. If it worked better I am certain I would be level 150 easy.

Jintor

Man it's amazing how adverse I feel to the catacombs just because the first time I played the game I wandered in there hideously underleveled without a divine weapon and was just all "OH GOD"

Like 40 hours later and I still went to go play the DLC first instead of going in that damn boneyard

ArynCrinn

Banned
I.....I.......... Holy Shit..... I can't believe I did it......

I beat the fat dude and lion man. Beat fatty first, and got the skinny guy....

ON MY 2ND TRY! I WATCHED STREAMS WHERE PEOPLE WERE STUCK FOR OVER 12+ hours! AND 2ND TRY I GOT IT! WHAT THE FUCK!?

Congratz on beating O&S first time, always feels good. Be sure to try Catman out on NG+ or further, only melee, always a fun fight.

I'll be trying out a Calamity run of O&S tonight.

antitrop

I feel like the only person in the world not playing this game

damn you Durante for making me change my mind after it came out considering I was alright when I passed on it knowing that the port was gonna be crap :( lol
Turns out the "crap" pC port is the definitive experience. Whoulda thunk.

rybrad

Hahaha. Foolish Salsa. You defeat!

Sorry I couldn't be more help, getting his tail was a pain in the ass for me too. Luckily the boss itself isn't too bad. Co-op helps a ton. If it worked better I am certain I would be level 150 easy.
Any idea why sometimes when I am summoned I see a cutscene and other times I don't?

Raxus

Wow that seems crazy to me that someone would summon help without even trying the boss first...

Keep in mind (new content aside) most people have played through this game once or twice on the consoles. No excuses for the new content. Solo Artorias=best-orias

rybrad

Keep in mind (new content aside) most people have played through this game once or twice on the consoles. No excuses for the new content. Solo Artorias=best-orias
I have just been doing the DLC areas since summoning here seems pretty fast. I guess that explains the varying levels of skill I have noticed.

joe2187

Banned
Finally got some good co-op work tonight!

Not many problems summoning but man did I have fun and got a lot accomplished, I 100% the DLC.

Manus? defeated
Kalameet? Defeated w/tail weapon
Artorias? summoned to defeat 5 times
Sunlight Covenennt? Joined

praise the sun!

rizz

Neo Member
Faced a large cat at the darkroot basin. Got rolled over to death the first time. Second time I tried to stay close and got bitten to death. Third time I reckon I stayed a bit too close and it LITERALLY chewed me to death.

Okay, that has to be a record or something: thrice getting killed by the same enemy in three completely different ways. Bastards are creative, I'll give em that.

Ridley327

Finally got Super Smough put down; I also dealt with an invader who really had no idea what they were doing. It's hard to believe that at SL116, there are players that are that bad trying to invade me.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
try jumping
Haha, my favourite is simply "jumping off"...

When trolls can't even be bothered to form a full sentence. I like to imagine that they write it just before doing that, just to let everyone know xD

Can everyone playing on PC please do me a favour and write "Up" just after you enter the Asylum Demon's hall? Would like to eventually look back on a newbie Let's Play and see them have a freak out.

Faced a large cat at the darkroot basin. Got rolled over to death the first time. Second time I tried to stay close and got bitten to death. Third time I reckon I stayed a bit too close and it LITERALLY chewed me to death.

Okay, that has to be a record or something: thrice getting killed by the same enemy in three completely different ways. Bastards are creative, I'll give em that.
This was, probably, what killed me the most in the entire game, alongside Bed of Chaos.

I overleveled so much in order to beat them and Sif, when I got to Quelaag she didn't stand a chance.

Thrakier

You seem troubled by this...

I don't have fraps on, no dsfix screenshot enabled, prntscrn doesn't work. This isn't the screenshot thread.

And its not a monitor.

image.php

Shinjica

Boss weapons. Good for good times and achievements.

Edit: If you mean a Fire Keeper Soul, you use it to upgrade your Estus Flask or gain 5 Humanity.

No i mean the first DLC boss soul. Probably is an item who didnt have any use, like the pendant.

Add in game but the developer didnt have the time for add his weapon.

Like the Black Orb for Shiva who exist in game but you can't get it.

Truant

I'm nearly done with my Dex guy.

I want to do something else for my next playthrough.

Should I go greatsword/strength, or spellcaster with a magic sword?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I don't want to deal with the fatties and swamp >_>

*sigh* Guess I'll move..

You can skirt around the fatties no prob, and if you can make yourself look pathetic enough after the trek through the swamp sometimes hosts will give you a Purple Moss Clump to cure your poison.

And then if you're like me you happily take the moss and then refuse to use it because you're a miser and you'd prefer to fight Q-cat while poisoned rather than use a consumable.

Maedhros

Dude, you are massively missing out. Do it, your retinas will thank you. Seriously it's like a 200kb download.

Actually, the mod didn't even worked here. I disabled AA, put the files there and got just a black screen. Without the mod, the game runs alright.

Back to the topic, just got everything I could get in Blighttown. Invaded some guys there just for fun and killed then very easily.

Where's the best place to farm titanite shards? Or is it better to farm souls and buy them on the blacksmith?

Haunted

The other guardians dont give a usable guardian soul. They have much less health, only give 3000 souls, and respawn (and more opportunities for the tail).
Oh, I didn't know that.

Hm. Is there any other boss soul that isn't used for anything?

Catacombs, anyone know how to get up there?
I think there's a series of jumps/falls you can make from quite early in the Catacombs to end up there. Think I've seen that in the WR speedrun, but I'm not sure.

I play the game at 720p

No need to use DSFix, at all.
;_;

Dude. Dude. Please, give it another try. Do it for From's artists. They don't deserve people playing their game like that. They don't.

What level should I try to stay to help people with Quelaag? Im 45 right now.

Also yesterday I met the Iron Golem at Sens fortress for the first time. I was so proud I was able to take one of his hits with my shield without staggering but the impact pushed me off the level hahaha YOU DIED anyways....

Haunted

People played the game for a year like this in PS3.
Including me.

I can only imagine how torturous this must've been for the artists, knowing that all their gorgeous art was in there, but hidden from view.

Just try it once more with the newest version (1.4; or 1.3 with the GUI if you want it to be really simple), it takes basically no effort and is configured in like 2 minutes. Surely you plan on playing the game for a while, so a 3 minute investment to improve the game is worth it.

Top Bottom