• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Man I just all around did not enjoy Tomb of the Giants. Maybe that's part of the appeal for you but having everything so dark was more frustrating for me than cool or scary. IT ended up just annoying me.

Thrakier

Put on the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring you buy from the magic dude at Firelink. That'll be enough pyro damage before NG+.

Thing about Manus is he seems to (at least from my fights) react to the players' moves better than most bosses, and he does really well with smelling blood in the water, so to speak. You just need to read his patterns and only attack his leg and ass, one or two hits at a time while he's recovering. Always stay close to him and keep strafing to the side, use the Silver Pendant to nullify his magic. Then either shield up or get ready to roll. :p

All that can really be said, the Chaos Blade +3 should be more than sufficient, especially if you have any humanity.

I have plenty but do I get it back when I die?

Sullichin, whats going on with that channel of yours? You got any further on your deprived run?

I've been madddddd busy lately and haven't been as active, around here.

First time going into ToTG was fairly early - I had decided to do Catacombs before Sens.

Killed Pin Wheel, think 'hey, what's up this ladder?' go exploring, "what....darkness?!" *creep forward* ... more darkness .... SKELETON!

Managed to kill it, think 'fuck that' and back tracked out of there so I could hold onto my souls :p

I think it's actually a pretty neat level

Mothman91

I need like two more souls to put into the lordvessel, then the door opens I think. I'm assuming that the last boss is behind those doors, and if I beat him, I am automatically put into NG+(?). Can anyone confirm that, because I'd rather explore the DLC than going into a new game.

SJRB

Gold Member
First time going into ToTG was fairly early - I had decided to do Catacombs before Sens.

Killed Pin Wheel, think 'hey, what's up this ladder?' go exploring, "what....darkness?!" *creep forward* ... more darkness .... SKELETON!

Managed to kill it, think 'fuck that' and back tracked out of there so I could hold onto my souls :p

I think it's actually a pretty neat level

Neat? More like

4F6Ha.jpg

cm osi

I need like two more souls to put into the lordvessel, then the door opens I think. I'm assuming that the last boss is behind those doors, and if I beat him, I am automatically put into NG+(?). Can anyone confirm that, because I'd rather explore the DLC than going into a new game.
yes, when you defeat the last boss you go to the ng+

2AdEPT

Well, I only have the chaos sword +3 (elemental damage) and no helpers (no summon signs appear). My flame is +15.

I have plenty but do I get it back when I die?

Yeah, I can tell you are prolly just as good a player or better than the rest of us...but it sounds like you are not maximizing the subtle tricks the game gives you to increase your damage. You should have a dusk crown in your inventory..this GREATLy increases your damge output for magic or pyro....stacked with the bellowing dragoncrest ring mentioned above your pyro shoudl maul most bosses or at least give you a huge chunk less to have to deal out...Manus tends not to buckle to elemental, but with no boost, you are simply wasting your time with pyro and I think you realized that by saying you might just leave the area. DOn't leave! When there is a will there is a way!

1.) Not sure wht you like to wear on your head, but if you have +15 pyro and wear the crown and ring you will get at least 30%. I remember testing early on in Firelink and if a fireball did ~200 damage without the crown it would do ~270 with it....with the ring added it would do ~320. The crown is better than the ring, but both are necessary if you want to maximize your pyro.

2.) Not sure what is stopping you from upgrading your chaos blade to plus 5...but as pointed out 3 is strong enough likely as long as you max humanity. IIRC its demon titanite and titanite demons CAN be pyro'd....there is a respawning one in lost izalith on the bridge past the shortcut. There is a tonne just lying around in ANor Londo as well in chests behind stairs and guarded by giants. If you are still short after knowing all this simply look up demon titanite in the wiki and it will give you all locations.

3.) Fianlly, YES get that ticker up to 10 humanity. Chaos weapons always suck wrose than straight physical, or even plain fire, unless you max ou tthe humaity ticker to 10. I realize the chaos blade is a speacial weopon and may not show the fire animation even (never used it as my main) but I can gurantee it will be near useless without any humanity in the ticker. Losing humanity is never an issue, especially in the DLC as those ghosts you see there drop a tonne of humanity prolly the best drop rate in the game consideriung they give twins. Never store or save humanity thinking that you should not use it...burn those babaies...a quick re-stock in the depths using the special ring (covetous gold serpent) and 5-6 humanity in the ticker gets you 30 humanity in 30 minutes....plus its fun to try new weapons or pyro on rats...rats stink....but so do those black ghost fucks in the abyss.

zkylon

zkylewd
You can open the door, enter the last map and go back, no problem, though. The enemies there drop pretty good upgrade materials so you might want to do that.

Thrakier

I don't know which version you guys are playing but I got the "no you don't get your humanity back" version. Stacked 10 humanity, run towards Magnus, a fucking mage threw a magicball in my back and I fell down. Humanity gone.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't know which version you guys are playing but I got the "no you don't get your humanity back" version. Stacked 10 humanity, run towards Magnus, a fucking mage threw a magicball in my back and I fell down. Humanity gone.
Your Humanity will be on your bloodstain, along with your souls.

Thrakier

Your Humanity will be on your bloodstain, along with your souls.

I got back my souls and it said "retrieval" but I didn't get back any humanity. So far I never got it back. All in all I just wasted 30 humanity. It also made no difference whatsoever, I hit him for only 54 damage with one normal hit anway. Also I don't own any of these pyro enhancing items. He's just destroying me.

zkylon

zkylewd
I got back my souls and it said "retrieval" but I didn't get back any humanity. So far I never got it back. All in all I just wasted 30 humanity. It also made no difference whatsoever, I hit him for only 54 damage with one normal hit anway. Also I don't own any of these pyro enhancing items. He's just destroying me.
Well dude, to be honest, you can leave Magnus for NG+ if you're too stuck. He won't be any easier, but at least you'll be better oufitted and better learned. And I think Kalameet is much easier than Magnus, and it's a lot less annoying walk, so you might at least do that one in NG.

As for the Humanity not showing up, I dunno what to tell you dude, if you died with soft Humanity you should be get it back (again in soft form, not in your inventory) with your souls it in your bloodstain, provided you didn't leave a new bloodstain, obviously. If that isn't working for you, it's probably a very very weird bug.

Spoilers marked for first-timers:

Episode 39 is up, where I take on
Priscilla in the Painted World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fhseLDxmaU&list=PLFBBDE8FD663440DB&index=39&feature=plpp_video

Calk walk.
lol the throwing daggers technique is great. Might try it if I choose to kill her in NG+.

Thrakier

Well dude, to be honest, you can leave Magnus for NG+ if you're too stuck. He won't be any easier, but at least you'll be better oufitted and better learned. And I think Kalameet is much easier than Magnus, and it's a lot less annoying walk, so you might at least do that one in NG.

As for the Humanity not showing up, I dunno what to tell you dude, if you died with soft Humanity you should be get it back (again in soft form, not in your inventory) with your souls it in your bloodstain, provided you didn't leave a new bloodstain, obviously. If that isn't working for you, it's probably a very very weird bug.

lol the throwing daggers technique is great. Might try it if I choose to kill her in NG+.

Yeah, isnt working. Anyway, I'll just finish the game and watch the rest on YOUtube. Fougt Magnus like 10 minutes and did quite good and still just 50% of it's health gone when he suddenly did some sort of super ocmbo and well...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, isnt working. Anyway, I'll just finish the game and watch the rest on YOUtube. Fougt Magnus like 10 minutes and did quite good and still just 50% of it's health gone when he suddenly did some sort of super ocmbo and well...

Alright lets get this totally straight.

The big number at the top left of the screen right next to your health and stamina, that's your humanity counter. It shows you how much soft humanity you have. If you go into your inventory, you have items called "Humanity" as well. Those two aren't the same thing. When you use one of the items, it gets consumed and increases the number in the top left of the screen. If that number is at "01" when you die, it resets back to "00". If you get back that exact same bloodstain without dying again, then that number should go to "01" again.

When you retrieve your bloodstain, the humanity doesn't go back into your inventory, it goes back into that number on the top left of the screen. When you get your bloodstain back, it also doesn't make you human again, it just gives you back your souls and soft humanity.

Now, are you sure that if you died with "01" soft humanity and went back and grabbed your bloodstain, your humanity counter doesn't go back up to "01"?

Thrakier

Alright lets get this totally straight.

The big number at the top left of the screen right next to your health and stamina, that's your humanity counter. It shows you how much soft humanity you have. If you go into your inventory, you have items called "Humanity" as well. Those two aren't the same thing. When you use one of the items, it gets consumed and increases the number in the top left of the screen. If that number is at "01" when you die, it resets back to "00". If you get back that exact same bloodstain without dying again, then that number should go to "01" again.

When you retrieve your bloodstain, the humanity doesn't go back into your inventory, it goes back into that number on the top left of the screen. When you get your bloodstain back, it also doesn't make you human again, it just gives you back your souls and soft humanity.

Now, are you sure that if you died with "01" soft humanity and went back and grabbed your bloodstain, your humanity counter doesn't go back up to "01"?

I did understand the system before, yep. ;) I didn't get it back. Maybe because it was in a boss room? I don't know.

Anyhow, I thought I'd finish the game tonight. Turned out I wouldn't. Last boss is too hard as well. Proble with him is, that in this fight I always get to a point where stamina is depleted, I can't block anymore and because he's constantly attacking with a lot of dmg,I can't heal anymore.

2AdEPT

Anyway man..I think you lasted longer than me solo......solo I last about a minute and a half even with strong attack power my defense sucks (by design becuase I'm cocky) you seem to be a much better player than me..able to last 10 minutes with Manus should be a win...especially if you hire help. ALSO i can confirm that I got a helath bar when
shooting arrows at Manus from the ledge! I had to wear the hawk ring from the giant blacksmith and used a longbow +10 with poison arrows, poison did not work, and had ot aim by trail an error.......but his health started coming down 7 or 8 health at a time!!
You can whittle him down if nothing else and then go in for an easier if not completely cheesed kill.

I guess if you didn't get the dusk crown from the Dusk of Oolacile chick that sucks, but she drops it if you either kill her or buy everything in her inventory and then exhaust her dialogue. She drops where the entrance to the new content is. I never tried killing her becuise she is the star of the new content and I did not want to screw it up...can anyone confirm if they tried killing her and still got the new content? WIll her summon sign still be on the ground? If THrakier didn't even save her originally she will be gone for good right?

You can get the ring from griggs of vinhiem at firelink for 20000 as long as you saved him from the the lower undead burg.

My personal advice is that you seem to be a very good player but just end up bringing insufficient gear to the party! You could have a bug if you are not getting your humanity boost from the chaos blade...but you know how it works right? the circle top left shows your count for the weapons...not your inventory. THis is also where you can see that you get your humanity back by acquiring the bloodstain. Regardless, if a weapon does not work for you it takes minutes in late game to grind a few souls to completely change your weapon to a more powerful one. Obviously you may have burned your SLAB but if you get +15 anything you should still be able to do 250-300 damage and 300-400 with a buff. Instead of scrapping your playthrough why not get sunlight blade from killing gwyndolin (darkmoon is better if you join the covenenat if you didn[t kill him), put it on a +15 washing pole raise yourself to 30 faith and just mash the enemy!!!

I did understand the system before, yep. ;) I didn't get it back. Maybe because it was in a boss room? I don't know.

Anyhow, I thought I'd finish the game tonight. Turned out I wouldn't. Last boss is too hard as well. Proble with him is, that in this fight I always get to a point where stamina is depleted, I can't block anymore and because he's constantly attacking with a lot of dmg,I can't heal anymore.

I assume you are talking about Gwynn now right? Yeah he is only easy if you can get a set up that allows you to parrry. If you really suck at parrying like me though you shoudl still be able to get one in if not the 3-4 that re required with a good damage set up (you can use hornet ring for better criticals etc.) Again having SOlaire for this fight wa sthe only way I could do it solo, although others who could parry with their eyes shut were disappointed in how easy it was. The run back isn't htat bad there. and you can practice parying the silver and black knights on the way.

After all you have endured Mr. Thrakier, you would ne my ultimate heor if you walked in there with stacked red tearstone ring (and hence only a sliver of health), hornet ring, Chaos rickards rapier or whatever rapier is the best parrying/critical damge nowadays....actually chaos blade would be decvent as gwynn is weak to fire.....and beat him in one parry. THe anti-ring guy finally buckles and smears Gwynn in one hit!!!! I gott try myself now..just gotta. What's the record nowadays? used to be 2-3 hits in the old days right?

Anyone know the badger song? For some reason I started to hear it in my head when I read this, but replaced 'badger' with 'dodge it.'

Anyways, you can roll/dodge a lot of the attack, and parry some of them too. Make stamina management a lot easier.

Thrakier

Anyway man..I think you lasted longer than me solo......solo I last about a minute and a half even with strong attack power my defense sucks (by design becuase I'm cocky) you seem to be a much better player than me..able to last 10 minutes with Manus should be a win...especially if you hire help. ALSO i can confirm that I got a helath bar when
shooting arrows at Manus from the ledge! I had to wear the hawk ring from the giant blacksmith and used a longbow +10 with poison arrows, poison did not work, and had ot aim by trail an error.......but his health started coming down 7 or 8 health at a time!!
You can whittle him down if nothing else and then go in for an easier if not completely cheesed kill.

I guess if you didn't get the dusk crown from the Dusk of Oolacile chick that sucks, but she drops it if you either kill her or buy everything in her inventory and then exhaust her dialogue. She drops where the entrance to the new content is. I never tried killing her becuise she is the star of the new content and I did not want to screw it up...can anyone confirm if they tried killing her and still got the new content? WIll her summon sign still be on the ground? If THrakier didn't even save her originally she will be gone for good right?

You can get the ring from griggs of vinhiem at firelink for 20000 as long as you saved him from the the lower undead burg.

My personal advice is that you seem to be a very good player but just end up bringing insufficient gear to the party! You could have a bug if you are not getting your humanity boost from the chaos blade...but you know how it works right? the circle top left shows your count for the weapons...not your inventory. THis is also where you can see that you get your humanity back by acquiring the bloodstain. Regardless, if a weapon does not work for you it takes minutes in late game to grind a few souls to completely change your weapon to a more powerful one. Obviously you may have burned your SLAB but if you get +15 anything you should still be able to do 250-300 damage and 300-400 with a buff. Instead of scrapping your playthrough why not get sunlight blade from killing gwyndolin (darkmoon is better if you join the covenenat if you didn[t kill him), put it on a +15 washing pole raise yourself to 30 faith and just mash the enemy!!!

One fireball does about 194. Anyway, thanks for your tips but it sounds like I'd need to invest many more hours to do that. Getting faith to 30 alone would need quite an ammount of grinding. I don't wanna do this and I'll probably never do NG+ as well. Got my money out of it, enjoyed it for the most time. It's time to close the case now. If it wasn't for Gwen...

2AdEPT

Seriously though THrakier...allowing yourself a fully planned wiki fed run where you do everything right based on your intended path would only take 8-10 hours if you skip the fluff. ALso, I would highly suggest allowing ME ( I suck solo but I know how to help as a phantom and stay alive long enough to ensure a good shot at victory) or any ofhte players on this board to assist you in the final bosses of kalameet, Manus , and gwynn....it is superior to just quitting isn't it? I have put over 1000 hours into souls and never done a whole playthorugh solo...it just is too lonely and less fun to me for some reason!!! ;P

One fireball does about 194. ..

I meant your sword could do that damage at +15..your fireball might only be able to get to 350 maxed with crown and rings and fully upgraded queelana +5 glove...just guessing based on the idea he is resistent to elemental...I never tried fire yet as i was a magic and faith user respectively.

With respect to your gringing souls comment it took me a minute and half to throw my sign down for a friend who knew it was coming in front of Artorias for me to assist him and grab ~50,000 souls. It took an additional half hour for me to escort him through the whole township, and we finally got him through Manus after two attempts...I had 130,000 after 45 miutes or so. Even at SL 80 that's still a good 3-4 levels and you don[t have to choose faith..whatever you have the most of already just max it out as good as you can for a str/dex weapon get the stat bonus then throw on pine or charcoal resin if you have to (not as good as faith or magic buffs but still close enough to make a difference.)

Some fun OP choices:

Washing pole - STR/DEX hybrid ( I just suffer the hit in total damage and two hadn it keeping STR low.) I haven't even raised dex this playthourgh in order to stay lower for coop! Darkmoon and 30 reprisals is enough!
Great Scythe - dex
Lifehunt Scythe - dex
Dragon Great axe - requires 36 STR to two hand - yes you can still buff it even though its dragon!!! THink I got 800 damage off it on a 96 level faith character with sunlight blade.
Demon great machete
Zweihander

many, many others

zkylon

zkylewd
One fireball does about 194. Anyway, thanks for your tips but it sounds like I'd need to invest many more hours to do that. Getting faith to 30 alone would need quite an ammount of grinding. I don't wanna do this and I'll probably never do NG+ as well. Got my money out of it, enjoyed it for the most time. It's time to close the case now. If it wasn't for Gwen...
Just last suggestion for easy grinding.
Go to the Painted World (make sure you unlocked the big door shortcut), equip Symbol of Avarice and/or Silver Ring, grab a hard hitting greatsword/lance/whatever and kill the slimes in the path to Priscilla. It takes 2 minutes to kill them all and you'll get about 10k per run.

Never say I can't take this!

Thrakier

Seriously though THrakier...allowing yourself a fully planned wiki fed run where you do everything right based on your intended path would only take 8-10 hours if you skip the fluff. ALso, I would highly suggest allowing ME ( I suck solo but I know how to help as a phantom and stay alive long enough to ensure a good shot at victory) or any ofhte players on this board to assist you in the final bosses of kalameet, Manus , and gwynn....it is superior to just quitting isn't it? I have put over 1000 hours into souls and never done a whole playthorugh solo...it just is too lonely and less fun to me for some reason!!! ;P

I meant your sword could do that damage at +15..your fireball might only be able to get to 350 maxed with crown and rings and fully upgraded queelana +5 glove...just guessing based on the idea he is resistent to elemental...I never tried fire yet as i was a magic and faith user respectively.

Oh, I'd love to do it coop instead of quitting. It's just that there are no summon anywhere close and I never got summoned so far.

@zyklon

Yeah, I know that place. But even that would take me too much time in comparison to the outcome. I just want to finish it now. Enough Souls for a few years. I love the game and the setting and the mood, but it also has tons of issues. From is a rather clunky dev and they are lucky that they got into a niche imo. But they also excelled at some things, it's not just luck, don't get me wrong.

Ridley327

Now Thrakier understands why it was a bad idea to kill Solaire, since he can be used as a summon for the fight against the final boss.

Not to mention the poetic justice of squaring those two off against each other!

Thrakier

Now Thrakier understands why it was a bad idea to kill Solaire, since he can be used as a summon for the fight against the final boss.

Not to mention the poetic justice of squaring those two off against each other!

Pah. I'll parry him to death tomorrow. The thing is, with 4 fireballs I can get rid of 50% of his health in a few seconds but I can't get enough hits in after that. If I block his hits 50% of my stamina is gone. I understand I'm supposed to use the black knight shield but I don't have neough STR for that so I'm stuck with silver sword...

zkylon

zkylewd
Pah. I'll parry him to death tomorrow. The thing is, with 4 fireballs I can get rid of 50% of his health in a few seconds but I can't get enough hits in after that. If I block his hits 50% of my stamina is gone. I understand I'm supposed to use the black knight shield but I don't have neough STR for that so I'm stuck with silver sword...
I'm surprised you're finding Gwyn so difficult. He's one of the easiest in the game, not even parrying.

zkylon

zkylewd
You're right guys, there's no way of saving
Siegmeyer
T_T

With that said, half The Duke's Archives' done, let's have fun with Pinwheel now lol (Catacombs are really easy with
a Divine Uchi+10
)

Ridley327

You're right guys, there's no way of saving
Siegmeyer
T_T

With that said, half The Duke's Archives' done, let's have fun with Pinwheel now lol (Catacombs are really easy with
a Divine Uchi+10
)

To be fair, following that storyline to its conclusion does give you definite closure, and a free Titanite Slab for your troubles.

Also, Sieglinde has such a cute voice.

So, could someone tell me what makes NG+ different than normal game? I'm almost there and want some incentive. Does it have a higher challenge? Essentially, what's the hook?

Actually I think enemies feel a lot more aggressive.

Anyhow, I think one of my secret achievements broke :/

Your sir, are correct! According to the wiki: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/new-game-plus

"Enemy differences

(Add different enemy types, positions, movement sets, etc. here)

Enemies that carry shields have a much higher poise value, so getting down their guard is harder (e.g., the spear-wielding Undead Soldier take more than just one kick against the shield for them to drop down their guard);
Overall, enemies have 3x the amount of health, 3x the amount of damage dealt, and 3x the amount of aggression towards the player; it seems some of the earlier enemies don't do much more damage in the undead burg, but it doesn't take long to find much harder-hitting enemies.
See individual boss pages for more information on NG+ strategies. "

zkylon

zkylewd
I also think they may have a few extra attacks, but I'm not sure about that. Specifically, I noticed the Spear Silver Knights in Anor Londo have a "new" thrust attack that damages through your shield, but that may have been in NG and I didn't see it.

Anyways, lol Pinwheel, saved
Patches by not calling myself a cleric
and ToG is so much easier with the Sunlight Maggot...

Don't notice any difference in AI on NG+, they just hit harder.

I think it's mental, you expect them to be tougher on NG+ and so you don't go into battle with the same swagger and the attitude of "yeah, I can take these punks, bring it".

It's all about swag in the Souls games. Enemies can smell a player without swag, like a shark smells blood. That's when they pounce.

I think it's mental, you expect them to be tougher on NG+ and so you don't go into battle with the same swagger and the attitude of "yeah, I can take these punks, bring it".

It's all about swag in the Souls games. Enemies can smell a player without swag, like a shark smells blood. That's when they pounce.

Hahahahaha, this is true.

But to comment on the 'new attacks.' Now that I think about it, I think I remember hearing somewhere, that the 'rare' attacks that enemies/bosses normally only do once in a while, come out more in NG+.

But, I can't source this, this is just of memory, probably from a youtube video, so take it with a grain. If I bump into it, I'll post it.

ElFly

Hahahahaha, this is true.

But to comment on the 'new attacks.' Now that I think about it, I think I remember hearing somewhere, that the 'rare' attacks that enemies/bosses normally only do once in a while, come out more in NG+.

But, I can't source this, this is just of memory, probably from a youtube video, so take it with a grain. If I bump into it, I'll post it.

Well I just discovered that titanite statues can grab you with their lance/fork thingie and rise you in the air then smash you into the ground.

First time in like five playthroughs and it was in NG+.

zkylon

zkylewd

If thou be calling me swagless, sir, then I challenge thee to a duel. Weapons? Scythes >:D

I could use some help with some potential builds. I have a tendency to use the same few pieces of armour and rings (RoFaP especially, though it almost feels necessary at 100,) so input from some more knowledgeable or creative people would be appreciated.

Int builds: MBH / MLGS

Obsidian Greatsword: Int/Vit / Faith
This is the one I'm the most curious about. Is it worth it to get as much buff damage as possible or should I stop at 30 faith and pump into str/vit? Can it be reasonably 2H or should it be used 1H?

Str/Int: Strength/Abyss Magic

Dex: Scythes/SKSS / Murakumo / Pyro

Eusis

Tried the FPS unlock and I think I actually prefer it locked at 30 FPS. Has that weird soap opera look to it, like the 120hz TVs have as an option, and combined with various issues (I need my ladder sliding!) I disabled it. I'd attribute it to being too used to how Dark Souls normally is, but I just got off of Dishonored so I don't think it's just that. However if the kinks get ironed out and the reports of bans turn out to be BS (anyone here use it and get banned?) I may enable it just to lock at 30 FPS and kill those stupidly huge dips.

I know I'm getting better at the game, but it really feels like for PvE strength builds are so much more OP. Using Ornstein's Armor and a BK Halberd vs maxed wanderer's set and a +15 Uchi just isn't fair. But I still like the dex builds more.

Washing pole - STR/DEX hybrid ( I just suffer the hit in total damage and two hadn it keeping STR low.) I haven't even raised dex this playthourgh in order to stay lower for coop! Darkmoon and 30 reprisals is enough!

This is so mean. And I really want to do it.

Top Bottom