• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

NBtoaster

Its not such a big spoiler so I will jsut let people know:
you get a yes and no question...yes is two weapons iirc plus more story, no is full armour and one weapon and no story.....
but she will attack you so need need to feel guilty.

Both approaches will get you both weapons.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And
Ciaran never attacks you. If you choose not to give her the soul, she just becomes disappointed. That's when you need to attack her or else the next time you reload, she's gone.

Thrakier

This is a tough boss I have not beat solo, but some preliminary observations may help:

His magic instakill death attacks I beleive can be mitigated by the pendant you can find in an invisible wall area in the township. Baby cub SIF helps distract Manus if nothing else if you allowed alivina to show you the way to his illusory wall before the boss area...and then you click on his summon sign while in the Manus play area. The guys I hired to help me seem to stand in close and use the artorias shield that baby cub SIF gives you for finding him.

Let me know if you find any other startegies! It would be nicve to get him sdolo nest time!

Oh yeah:

PS - somebody told me he can be cheesed with
arrows if you stand on the ledge to the right before entering it is true you can see his red lights head way down there. When I was assisting as a phantom we tried shoooting him a bit
but could not tell if our shots were registering or not so we quit and beat him legitimately as a duo.

Thanks. I didnt follow alivina the first time. Can I stil do it? She's not showing up anymore...I was there as a human also but I didn't see any summon signs. :( Maybe my LVL is just too high.

Forkball

Should I kill the gold dude hanging out at Firelink Shrine? I freed him the first time and he gave me an item, but I heard he gives a pretty amazing ring if you kill him. Is it to late to get it?

SJRB

Gold Member
Should I kill the gold dude hanging out at Firelink Shrine? I freed him the first time and he gave me an item, but I heard he gives a pretty amazing ring if you kill him. Is it to late to get it?

Knight Lautrec can be summoned for two bossfights, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Other than that his ring of favor and protection is one of the best items in the game, since it boosts your hp and stamina. You can attack him head-on but he is pretty powerful. He is fast and most of his attacks cannot be blocked.

There is an easy way to get rid of him, and that is to kick him off the ledge. Just go the place he's sitting opposite the Firekeeper and kick him. He will aggro so you quickly have to kick him again to push him over. Quit the game, log back on and the ring will be there up for grabs.

Killing him early will lock out a minor sidequest later on. The window of oppertunity for kicking him over the ledge closes after you rung the second Bell of Awakening.

Thrakier

If I kill a vendor, will I get all his inventory? Thinking of killing the guy under the bridge who's selling Artorias stuff. He's annoying anyway.

Killing him early will lock out a minor sidequest later on. The window of oppertunity for kicking him over the ledge closes after you rung the second Bell of Awakening.
It should be noted that doing this sidequest is the only way to get 2 armour sets in the game, one of which is great for lightweight characters, and that you'll still get the ring afterwards. The advantage of killing him right away is just to get the ring right away if you don't want or need the armour.

New londo ruins is very annoying right now, any item that lets me engage the ghosts without having to retake the Transient Curse over and over again?

You get the ring, as well as his armour a little later on if you follow his questline to it's completition which isn't difficult, all you have to do is go to Blighttown to trigger it (ring second bell).

Getting the FAP ring early can be a nice boost, but it breaks when you take it off, which means you wear it forever or it's destroyed and your ring slots are now limited to one whilst wearing it - Personally I prefer two ring slots than a boost in HP/stam (which can be gained through other equipment any way.)

New londo ruins is very annoying right now, any item that lets me engage the ghosts without having to retake the Transient Curse over and over again?
The jagged ghost blade they drop and other cursed weapons can hit them without you being cursed yourself, but you can't block their attacks - only way to block is to be cursed or use a transitory curse. They drop the trans. curses themselves, so you really should never have to buy them (female undead merch. sells them).

cm osi

Where do I get this?
you can make it with sif soul. it's not great against elemental attacks or magic, but it has high stability, it's lighter than havel and require less str

I don't know what's so obvious about this. If anything it would make more sense IF they'd drop everything...
well even in dark souls i don't think NPC merchants are made to be killed, they are made to sell things.

Better to make the shield or sword? I heard the sword is like the best weapon in game, no/yes?

The sword IS the best weapon provided you have the stats to wield it. You have to have ridiculously high stats to get the best damage though. When the console version of the game came out I tried it with the infinite souls glitch and it did the most damage of all my weapons. Not worth leveling up that high though because then it becomes harder to summon and get invaded :/

Grief.exe

Better to make the shield or sword? I heard the sword is like the best weapon in game, no/yes?

The sword IS the best weapon provided you have the stats to wield it. You have to have ridiculously high stats to get the best damage though. When the console version of the game came out I tried it with the infinite souls glitch and it did the most damage of all my weapons. Not worth leveling up that high though because then it becomes harder to summon and get invaded :/

What sword are you guys talking about?

If its artorias' swords, they aren't very good. Yes they scale with a lot of stats, but no one is going to be sl250 for the sword to become relevant.

The best swords in the game are mostly subjective, what build you have, what situation you are in, what move set you needs determines the best weapons most of the time.

krakov

The true greatsword of artorias will only net around 650 AR at 40 str/dex/int/fai. That's a lot of investment. Some of the str weapons will give you similar output at only 27 str and that AR is full physical rather than split. A weapon with high base damage will get even higher AR if taken the elemental path.

I would rather use a claymore, black knight sword, bastard sword, man serpent gs, moonlight gs or gwyns sword. They all have similar R1 moves.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anor Londo is wearing me down, I feel like my +10 uchigatana isn't cutting it against the silver and black knights [no pun intended].

I feel that my best bet is to upgrade a sword and create the Furysword. Or Chaos Blade since I already have the +10 katana.

What do you guys recommend? I'm using an end/dex build character.

zkylon

zkylewd
Anor Londo is wearing me down, I feel like my +10 uchigatana isn't cutting it against the silver and black knights [no pun intended].

I feel that my best bet is to upgrade a sword and create the Furysword. Or Chaos Blade since I already have the +10 katana.

Really? I beat Anor Londo using the +10 Iaito and I never felt it wasn't up to the task. From my own experience, the Furysword is cool but useless, so I'd go for the Chaos Blade.

SJRB

Gold Member
Really? I beat Anor Londo using the +10 Iaito and I never felt it wasn't up to the task. From my own experience, the Furysword is cool but useless, so I'd go for the Chaos Blade.

It might be a defense problem too, I was using a +2 Crest Shield up until now which got ripped to shreds by the Knights. But I just upgraded the Eagle Shield to +5 for more stability and enemy knockback.

I just reached the Giant Blacksmith, I'll think about what to use the Soul of Quelaag on.

UrbanRats

ANorLondo was the worst part in the no shield build, with a Uchi +10.
The boss was ok, but the silver knight without a shield were a pain in the ass, Black Knights were easier to face, since they're slower.

Anyway, hit the 4kings wall in NG+, gonna take a break for the moment.
I deal little damage and they start piling up.

Along with Bed of Chaos is my least favorite boss.

zkylon

zkylewd
It might be a defense problem too, I was using a +2 Crest Shield up until now which got ripped to shreds by the Knights. But I just upgraded the Eagle Shield to +5 for more stability and enemy knockback.

I just reached the Giant Blacksmith, I'll think about what to use the Soul of Quelaag on.
If you feel half-way confident, try parrying the Silver Knights, they're really easy to and it deals loads of damage and it feels awesome. You'll be all like FUCK YOU SILVER KNIGHTS IN YO FACE EAT MAH EASTERN BLADE!

The boss was ok, but the silver knight without a shield were a pain in the ass, Black Knights were easier to face, since they're slower.

Yeah, I'm so demoralized about having to tread back yet again to the 4K I'm feeling like dropping the save entirely.

I hate them, I can't dodge the grab for the life of me and I don't like playing quick DPS, I make too many mistakes or get nervous or whatever.

krakov

What is your dex level? Backstab and/or parry the silver knights.

UrbanRats

Yeah, I'm so demoralized about having to tread back yet again to the 4K I'm feeling like dropping the save entirely.

I hate them, I can't dodge the grab for the life of me and I don't like playing quick DPS, I make too many mistakes or get nervous or whatever.
I know the feel.
I'm not good at i-frame dodging or anything, but i can usually manage to dodge Capra and other bosses, the 4K though start to pile up and it becomes messy, i start failing one dodge after the other. :(
The video of that Japanese guy, well he nails every dodge, good for him. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
I know the feel.
I'm not good at i-frame dodging or anything, but i can usually manage to dodge Capra and other bosses, the 4K though start to pile up and it becomes messy, i start failing one dodge after the other. :(
The video of that Japanese guy, well he nails every dodge, good for him. :p
I'm leveling up for some VIT to have a little more breathing room, and I might put some points into STR to wield a heavier sword or something. I just want them out of my life right now lol...

How long does it take to beat the DLC content? I'm waiting for it on consoles
A couple hours? It's a bit longer than a regular map.

UrbanRats

I'm leveling up for some VIT to have a little more breathing room, and I might put some points into STR to wield a heavier sword or something. I just want them out of my life right now lol...

Yeah, i need to do them quickly because i just want that darkwraith armor.
I'm too high for multiplayer anyway and i'm literally rushing through the game (did S&O without even killing ONE single silver knight or anything else) i don't even know what for.
That's why i said i'll take a break from the game and come back when i can enjoy the simple act of playing it.

koryuken

Chaos Blade, trust me, you will thank me later.

Furysword moveset sucks unless you use it 2h.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, i need to do them quickly because i just want that darkwraith armor.
I'm too high for multiplayer anyway and i'm literally rushing through the game (did S&O without even killing ONE single silver knight or anything else) i don't even know what for.
That's why i said i'll take a break from the game and come back when i can enjoy the simple act of playing it.
I think I'm gonna pop the ring of Favor instead of Havel's and change my Elite Knight Leggings for the Blood-Stained Skirt. That'll leave me with 30 less physical def but almost 40 more magical def, and also 20% more HP and stamina. Seems like a decent tradeoff, I can still roll fast. I gotta think if I use Mask of the Mother or the Child now. I'm thinking child, seems I'm pretty sure 10% more health matters little when you die in three hits :p

This'd be my build: link

Thrakier

God damn Manus. I can't summon anyone either, no Sif and no other human player, no signs are howing up (SL 80). :( I'm thinking about just finishing the game off and don't finish the DLC. What's with the place where you get burned by the dragon?

cm osi

I think I'm gonna pop the ring of Favor instead of Havel's and change my Elite Knight Leggings for the Blood-Stained Skirt. That'll leave me with 30 less physical def but almost 40 more magical def, and also 20% more HP and stamina. Seems like a decent tradeoff, I can still roll fast. I gotta think if I use Mask of the Mother or the Child now. I'm thinking child, seems I'm pretty sure 10% more health matters little when you die in three hits :p

This'd be my build: link
hm i was wearing catarina +5 so i still had some decent def and didn't need to roll. i just let him hit me if they were normal attack, and defended against the heavy and magical attacks.
do you use power within and resin?
if you have light equip you need to dodge but it will be hard, and there the risk to aggro the other kings. Good Luck!

Grief.exe

If you feel half-way confident, try parrying the Silver Knights, they're really easy to and it deals loads of damage and it feels awesome. You'll be all like FUCK YOU SILVER KNIGHTS IN YO FACE EAT MAH EASTERN BLADE!

You pretty much have to start using power within and some type of weapon buff at ng+ for 4k.
Hornet ring really helps too for DPS because it would be so easy to catch them in an attack animation. I've never used this though.

willooi

Finally finished off the Four Kings in NG+. After many attempts with Power Within, Dark Hand, and trying to maneuver round their attacks and that awful grab attack...

...managed to tank them easily with Iron Flesh, Mask of the Child, and continuous two-handed swings with Uchi +15 & Charcoal Resin. Turned the fight into a joke, but I'm just so relieved to have finally gotten past them.

A big thanks to everyone who helped over the last couple of pages of this thread.

NBtoaster

God damn Manus. I can't summon anyone either, no Sif and no other human player, no signs are howing up (SL 80). :( I'm thinking about just finishing the game off and don't finish the DLC. What's with the place where you get burned by the dragon?

You need to find Gough (in the coloseum, requires a key found in town) first, tell him you want to fight the dragon and he'll bring it down. It's an optional boss.

zkylon

zkylewd
Weakness: Despair

B55FF96F4D7392CF789FC791A12436D3E87DC005

YEAHHHHHHHHH

Sullichin

So when your using a shield (because obviously you can't be rolling around) how many attacks can you take before your stamina gets depleted?
I never use a shield in the four kings fight unless I am blocking their magic attack -crest shield or dark hand is good for this. Just cast iron flesh, two hand your weapon, get in close, and walk around the king to the left. You can still avoid many of the attacks by walking and you can tank many more hits without healing/getting staggered.
without iron flesh my strategy is similar, except I fast roll through attacks instead of tanking.

I never use a shield in the four kings fight unless I am blocking their magic attack -crest shield or dark hand is good for this. Just cast iron flesh, two hand your weapon, get in close, and walk around the king to the left. You can still avoid many of the attacks by walking and you can tank many more hits without healing/getting staggered.
without iron flesh my strategy is similar, except I fast roll through attacks instead of tanking.

I might try that on my NG+ run. The console version was easy but having From increase the difficulty of the fight by spawning the kings faster really is going to make that boss fight annoying.

Top Bottom