• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

So I got all the souls for the vessel and opened up the door beyond it. I'm assuming I'm pretty much at the end of the game, so I went ahead and jumped into the DLC content.

How long/difficult is the new content? I heard it was around ~10 according to prerelease information but now that people have got a chance to play through it I want to know how long people actually took and how difficult it was.

2AdEPT

Oh, I'd love to do it coop instead of quitting. It's just that there are no summon anywhere close and I never got summoned so far.

Although i have not been able to meet every single player that I wanted to off this board I have met more than not.

1.) message friend on live or send friend request.
2.) chat about where to meet. who will host/drop
3,) drop sign and communicate about whether friend sees it.
4.) if not start re-dropping every 15 seconds or so to reset server
5.) finally get summoned. (if it fails simply try again....have had 2-3 fails but did not give up an usually on the 4th try it works....two different guys it never worked though...but then you just try someone else.

too tired right now...been a long week. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
So I got all the souls for the vessel and opened up the door beyond it. I'm assuming I'm pretty much at the end of the game, so I went ahead and jumped into the DLC content.

How long/difficult is the new content? I heard it was around ~10 according to prerelease information but now that people have got a chance to play through it I want to know how long people actually took and how difficult it was.
No way it'll take you ten hours. Five tops, and it's not terrible difficult but it's very much awesome.

Ridley327

The best thing about co-op is making new friends along the way; I managed to help out two guys with Manus, and we all decided to stay together throughout whatever their needs were.

Sunbros 4 lyfe

Has all the console talk moved to here for now? I assume the old thread will be brought back once the DLC has released?

Anyway, I've started my caster build, working on pretty much just INT to get some serious power behind the sorcery. I've just done the 1st Bell at the Parish and am heading down to Lower Burg now and will free blokey from the house so I can get buying some decent gear.

My STR build at over 200 hours has very item I need such as Logan's wares and his gear too. Going to enjoy doing that quest line again!

Tempted to try out a SL1 run at some point, there is a guy on YouTube doing a series at the moment and its very entertaining.

Thrakier

I'm surprised you're finding Gwyn so difficult. He's one of the easiest in the game, not even parrying.

Yeah, that's what I thought first as well when I fought him. "Oh, this is easy." And then I was dead. And died again. And again. And again. It's weird.

Regarding coop:

I'm guessing my level is just too high. It's SL 80 and therefore I can't see any summon signs around magnus.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, that's what I thought first as well when I fought him. "Oh, this is easy." And then I was dead. And died again. And again. And again. It's weird.

Regarding coop:

I'm guessing my level is just too high. It's SL 80 and therefore I can't see any summon signs around magnus.
I don't think that's too high, you can probably summon people as low as SL ~65.

Hzoltan69

Regarding coop:

He was the boss that gave me the most trouble in the game. I must have lost close to 200k souls to him. On the bright side: I collected a shitload of titanite chunks from the black knights, so I'll have no trouble upgrading stuff in NG+.

SJRB

Gold Member
I blame shitty GFWL for that. These days I don't even see signs in the floor...

Since XCom, Dishonored and the Borderlands DLC dropped I hardly ever encounter summon signs. Or even messages, for that matter. I feel so alone..

Thrakier

He was the boss that gave me the most trouble in the game. I must have lost close to 200k souls to him. On the bright side: I collected a shitload of titanite chunks from the black knights, so I'll have no trouble upgrading stuff in NG+.

I just lost 5 more times to him...what the fuck. Is there any shield I can use instead of silver shield? It's loosing to much stamina than hit. I can barely recover when he's doing is combos and those are very damaging. I parried him 2 or 3 times but that's not reliable enough.

I just lost 5 more times to him...what the fuck. Is there any shield I can use instead of silver shield? It's loosing to much stamina than hit. I can barely recover when he's doing is combos and those are very damaging. I parried him 2 or 3 times but that's not reliable enough.

Silver Shield is good because it has very high Fire resist. You could try Black Knight shield too. I actually switched out to Havel's shield for NG+ Gwyn. It was tough! I was running a STR though which helps.

Thrakier

Gwynn can go fuck himself, really. So annoying. I'm just not a very good player. I could do manus though but 45dmg per R1 hit is just not enough.

cm osi

he can still hit you through the stalagmite so always shield up. get close to him when he go left/right to trigger his grab/kick animation.

Forkball

Ok pretty sure I'm screwed. I am out of humanity and I'm at the double boss in Anor Londo. I killed the spear guy and the fat one was almost dead, but then all of the sudden a cutscene played and he was at full health, and pretty much one shot me with his stupid lightning hammer. I have no more humanity left so I can't summon anyone to help me. Stupid invader right before wasted one of mine. I AM DONE FOR?

Ok pretty sure I'm screwed. I am out of humanity and I'm at the double boss in Anor Londo. I killed the spear guy and the fat one was almost dead, but then all of the sudden a cutscene played and he was at full health, and pretty much one shot me with his stupid lightning hammer. I have no more humanity left so I can't summon anyone to help me. Stupid invader right before wasted one of mine. I AM DONE FOR?

You can farm humanity very easily from the rats in the dephts.

upandaway

I went into Darkroot from Undead Parish and there's this lizard snake crystal cute mascot thing that runs away on sight right?

I just shot like 60 arrows (normal and large) at him and nothing happened :( is he just invincible to arrows or something?

By the way holy hell does the game go crazy after the gargoyles. There's the door in Darkroot that I opened, kills me instantly, there's the hydra down the basin that kills me instantly, there's a way back to the Burg with a knight that kills me instantly, and there's an elevator down to some bridge with purple dragons that kill me instantly. I mean game, Dark Souls game, look, okay, that's just not cool.

Guess I'll go to the Catacombs or something.. man. I really don't wanna.

Grief.exe

I went into Darkroot from Undead Parish and there's this lizard snake crystal cute mascot thing that runs away on sight right?

I just shot like 60 arrows (normal and large) at him and nothing happened :( is he just invincible to arrows or something?

By the way holy hell does the game go crazy after the gargoyles. There's the door in Darkroot that I opened, kills me instantly, there's the hydra down the basin that kills me instantly, there's a way back to the Burg with a knight that kills me instantly, and there's an elevator down to some bridge with purple dragons that kill me instantly. I mean game, Dark Souls game, look, okay, that's just not cool.

No. Don't go there yet. You want to use the key that you got in the undead parish, go to the locked door on the bridge with the red drake, near solaire.

Forkball

You can farm humanity very easily from the rats in the dephts.

That's so far awaaaaay. I would have to retreat from Anor Londo, go out of Sen's Fortress (I know there's a shortcut but still), go past the blacksmith to the elevator to Firelink, then go through the passage to the depths. And then I would have to fight my way back again...

I will just try to fight it on my own, maybe raise up a few soul levels and see how I do. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the other boss regaining his health. If he didn't do that, I would have killed him on the first try.

Thrakier

So overall I liked this game.

PRO:
- Great atmosphere and nice details in everything
- great design
- basically the modern, westernized version of an Castlevania game
- variation in enemies and surroundings
- thrilling
- bonfire system is clever
- much to discover
- "very gamey"
- online system is great in concept just like DS
- I like the style of storytelling...

CONTRA:
- ...but it's a bit to arbitrary. I really don't think they have any story at all, they just made some stuff up around their levels. I thought Demon's Souls had more to tell.
- this game is frustrating and often not in a challenging way but more like a cheater in an online-game
- don't you dare putting a fucking bonfire minutes away from an boss encounter. It's so stupid making me run the same path over and over again, just running past the enemies which also destroys part of the immersion when you notice that enemies are dumb as fuck and you can just run past them
- problems within the combat engine like collision detection etc.
- online system SUCKS in execution
- to mystic for it's own goods. explaining SOMETHING doesn't mean you are instantly overexplaining. I'm almost a liftetime videogamer but without GAF and the DS Wiki I could've never finished this game.

Overall I think it has great potential and I'm sure From Software doesn't even know what they are on to. They are kinda a clunky developer who hired some great artists and got lucky then. The whole "over the top" difficulty needs to go, challenge needs to stay. Get rid of all frustrating and tedious elements, polish the story and the combat system more, explain a tiny bit more and fix online and BAM, you got the game of the forever. Otherwise I'd rate it an 8-9/10 I guess. It's still a great game with lots to offer.

zkylon

zkylewd
You're not screwed, but it'll be difficult. If you kill Smough (the fat guy) first you'll get better items after the fight but if you kill the skinny guy first, fighting Smough is really easy, so if you don't particularily care about achievements, focus on the skinny guy and just keep trying. The road to the boss is pretty short, you only have to kill two silver knights (maybe not even those), so you can try and try quickly.

You can quit and load your save and the lizard will respawn in the same spot, so you can kill it easy with normal arms before it runs away.

There's more in Undead Burg for you to explore, keep looking :)

It is done.
Congrats dude, not the most satisfying of endings, right? lol

Am I too high leveled at SL 69 for the Four Kings? I felt a little bad for them because they went down so easily.
Nah, it's ok. How much damage you do depends more on your weapon anyways.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yes, I'm in Lost Izalith. What is this item and how can does one obtain it before him?

Thanks.

sunlight maggot.

you get it by being a spiderbro and leveling chaos servant to +2, allowing you to kill the maggot before solaire finds it.

The story continues with my Sorcery build (PS3 ver.)

Lv 25 now and mostly gone into INT.

I have Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow which are both reasonably powerful, if a little slow to fire off for some enemies. I've got the Ember from The Depths (not going any further in, don't need anything from there as I can go back way into Blighttown) and I am rocking Crimson Armour which is pretty rad (from a suicide run into Blighttown previously).

Going to start playing with some co-op now in the Burg to build up some souls.

I want Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring and lots of souls for sorcery.

Getting close to one years play from the game, amazing.

Ridley327

sunlight maggot.

you get it by being a spiderbro and leveling chaos servant to +2, allowing you to kill the maggot before solaire finds it.

It's actually possible to do it without having to rank up Chaos Servant to +2;
since the Chaos Bug is right by the shortcut door, you can use Poison or Toxic Mist to kill it. You run the risk of losing the Sunlight Maggot for good, but it can be done for the sake of Solaire.

Ridley327

I really like Duke's Archives, but the crystal undead archers are one of the worst enemies in the game and they are all over the place with insane range.

zkylon

zkylewd
I really like Duke's Archives, but the crystal undead archers are one of the worst enemies in the game and they are all over the place with insane range.
Yeah, I really like The Duke's Archives too, it looks amazing and the haunting music in the dungeon is beautifully disturbing. The Crystal Cave is terribad tho.

I got summoned to help in new londo and we made it to the four kings. Never fought them before so I was pretty excited. Made the jump....and died. Lol forgot to equip the ring.

Hey, any tech heads help me out with a problem/issue?

My computer is acting really bad lately, and I cant seem to fix it, and I decided I'm just going to reformat.

I'm afraid my game saves will be corrupt or broken when I reformat, considering Dark Souls has a GFWL based DRM system, right?

And we all know about how those DRM issues go with GFWL.

I've heard horror stories about this kind of stuff.

So if I back up my save, reformat, will I be cursed? Or is the game save tied to my gamer tag/login information? (hopefully?)

Holy fuck at
Knight Artorias.
He gave me huge vibes of False King Allant from Demon's Souls, in that it's a long, hard battle of attrition and not losing your cool. Was the only boss in the entire game that I had to retry like 6 times before beating it.

Was excited to see all the online PVP stuff right after him, but nobody was playing :( Is the game pretty much dead on PC or wtf?

Top Bottom