• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

2AdEPT

Thanks. I didnt follow alivina the first time. Can I stil do it? She's not showing up anymore...I was there as a human also but I didn't see any summon signs. :( Maybe my LVL is just too high.
Just find SIF on your own:

when you cross the first narrow bridge with ghosts on the right, cross and drop off the ledge left. Make your way down a corridor kill a couple ghosts. Search the opposite wall after the corridor for an ilusory wall..it should be to the right of the elevator shaft. THe path behind the illusroy wall leads to SIF.

Where do I get this?

Actually there is a new one...not sure ifits the same specs as I never got the old one...
Baby cub SIF gives it to you at the cave above.

zkylon

zkylewd
After playing Dishonored for a while, getting back to Dark Souls locked 30 FPS was pretty painful...

Nice! What was the strategy that finished the fight for you?
Basically I went with very light equipment for the fast roll, two handed my Iaito+15 (I used the fire resin against the first guy, but wasn't gonna risk doing it again mid fight), had the Grass Cress Shield on my back for fast stamina regen, plus the Dark Hand on the other slot. I basically dodged all their sword attacks, quickly switched to the Dark Hand against magic, and was pretty lucky I never got grabbed. The Ring of Favor did help in making me sustain a bit more damage, and now that I beat them it's already off again :)

It helped a lot knowing you could hit one of the Kings while he's still in his death animation, so I basically had to only kill three and a half Kings :p

So now I'm off to Lost Izalith to get my Sunlight Maggot. I'll see if I can save
Siggy
this time.

zkylon

zkylewd
For some reason every time i enter the Abyss, Iron Flesh is greyed out and i can't use it.
You can't cast it while under the effects of a Whatever Curse (the thing that lets you kill ghosts). It's very annoying and the one reason I didn't resort to the Power Within strategy :p

2AdEPT

You can't cast it while under the effects of a Whatever Curse (the thing that lets you kill ghosts). It's very annoying and the one reason I didn't resort to the Power Within strategy :p

YEah just run through without the curse on ...hardly any ghosts (2 at start and 2+1 near the door) just darkwraiths to fight and you just drw them to where the ghosts are not.....and they don't need the curse on.

UrbanRats

:O

I'll stop using transient then.
And yeah i actually skip everyone, even the Darkwraith, when i run to the 4K.

zkylon

zkylewd
The best thing I could do was use the Transient Curse at the Firelink Shrine, roll down, kill the first two ghosts (these could probably be avoided), get past the next group, kill the ghost blocking the elevator, go down, kill the two Darkwraiths there, kill the one outside and then run through the big room with two Darkwraiths and 2-3 ghosts into the fog gate. The ghosts will follow you inside, but they'll give up if you go down the stairs a bit.

That's the fastest way I found. Then you can wait there until the Transient Curse runs out, but I could never be bothered with it.

willooi

The best thing I could do was use the Transient Curse at the Firelink Shrine, roll down, kill the first two ghosts (these could probably be avoided), get past the next group, kill the ghost blocking the elevator, go down, kill the two Darkwraiths there, kill the one outside and then run through the big room with two Darkwraiths and 2-3 ghosts into the fog gate. The ghosts will follow you inside, but they'll give up if you go down the stairs a bit.

That's the fastest way I found. Then you can wait there until the Transient Curse runs out, but I could never be bothered with it.

I have a slight variation on this route, which will make the travel a bit faster still.

My method was taking the lift down, equipping Dark Wood Grain ring, and once you arrive at the bottom stand on the centre of the lift again briefly before rolling out so that it sends it back up (to save time waiting for it from up top again in case you fail the 4K).

No need to use Transient Curse when you can just bolt and flip through - and there's an even better shortcut: after the first two ghosts appear, don't go up the stairs but move to the back-right of this area where the corpse in the vase was (that previously dropped TC)...then hug the wall around on the left until you see the lower section, and drop down onto a small ledge, then down again into the watery area - taking minor damage. Here, you'll meet a Darkwraith at the top of some tiny stairs, but you can just flip past him on the left side of those stairs. Run through that room with two DW's and the ghosts, in through the fog wall, then run down to the bottom of the staircase to avoid getting hit by the ghosts from behind.

Switch to the Covenant of Abyss, take a deep breath, and good luck.

UrbanRats

I have a slight variation on this route, which will make the travel a bit faster still.

My method was taking the lift down, equipping Dark Wood Grain ring, and once you arrive at the bottom stand on the centre of the lift again briefly before rolling out so that it sends it back up (to save time waiting for it from up top again in case you fail the 4K).

No need to use Transient Curse when you can just bolt and flip through - and there's an even better shortcut: after the first two ghosts appear, don't go up the stairs but move to the back-right of this area where the corpse in the vase was (that previously dropped TC)...then hug the wall around on the left until you see the lower section, and drop down onto a small ledge, then down again into the watery area - taking minor damage. Here, you'll meet a Darkwraith at the top of some tiny stairs, but you can just flip past him on the left side of those stairs. Run through that room with two DW's and the ghosts, in through the fog wall, then run down to the bottom of the staircase to avoid getting hit by the ghosts from behind.

Switch to the Covenant of Abyss, take a deep breath, and good luck.

This is the route i take, though i didn't think about the lift trick, will use it from now on.
Dead times between one try and the next are the more frustrating things. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
Well you wouldn't believe the effort I just did to save
Siegmeyer
in Lost Izalith. I hurt the three monsters down in the pit and left the other one half dead so he can go down and kill them, and he does, but then another comes in and I try to help him and end up hitting him instead. He went aggro on me so I quickly quit and loaded, to see if he had cooled down. He didn't, so I popped a Homeward Bone, ran to Oswald and had myself acquitted from sin, then traveled all the way back to Lost Izalith. I was scared the guy would've died by the poison in the pit but fortunately he was standing there in the best of shapes, and didn't
kill himself
like the last time.

Phew...

That settled, I'm in The Duke's Archives now, but can't get the Golem to drop the Pendant. I think it may be because I haven't rescued Dusk yet (I tried once and got killed by the Golden Golem lol)

but then another comes in and I try to help him and end up hitting him instead.
Haha, I've done that before, swinging my sword and didn't notice him.

It can be annoying on NG+ onwards since they hit harder too - from reading the wikis there is a health percentage that if Seigmeyer drops below the questline can't finish properly, so you have to be quick, but careful. Taking 3 out and leaving one with a sliver of health before talking to him is definately the right strategy.

zkylon

zkylewd
NG was so depressing. I had the following people die as a consequence of my actions:
Siegmeyer, Laurentis, Griggs, Big Hat Logan (although I hear there's not really much you can do), Reah, Patches, Anastacia (although I revived her later).
I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

This time I'm saving everybody! And then maybe killing them for humanity!

Edit: forgot about
the fire keeper in Anor Londo

NBtoaster

NG was so depressing. I had the following people die as a consequence of my actions:
Siegmeyer, Laurentis, Griggs, Big Hat Logan (although I hear there's not really much you can do), Reah, Patches, Anastacia (although I revived her later).

Siegmeyer, Laurentis, Griggs, BHL, and Reah all have death/hollowing as the natural end to their stories.
Depressing.

willooi

I couldn't live with myself after running into
hollowed Solaire
in Lost Izalith, and decided to spend NG+ to prevent that from happening. And when
Siegmeyer jumped down into the pit
, I wasn't thinking and threw Chaos Fireballs down there which took out everything. "Imminent sorrow", indeed.

Managed to make amends for both of them in NG+, but stupidly used
Anastacia's
firekeeper soul to upgrade my flask instead of doing what you're supposed to, which made my repeated Four Kings failure even more painful because I had to keep on warping to Firelink each time.

Sigh. I guess NG++ will be when I finally do everything correctly, but not sure how keen I am to go through everything again at the moment.

UrbanRats

Oh man, the only way to NOt have a depressing outcome is to not do shit. :(
Aside from
Solaire
, i guess.

zkylon

zkylewd
Siegmeyer, Laurentis, Griggs, BHL, and Reah all have death/hollowing as the natural end to their stories.
Depressing.
You can tell Laurentis you don't know what he's talking about when he asks you about your special Pyromancy and I'm keeping him alive that way, Siegmeyer can be saved, and I think I just did. I'm thinking you can save Reah if you just kill Petrus and don't buy all her stuff. Similar thing with Logan, just don't buy all his stuff and he'll only be insane, but at least not THAT insane. As for Griggs, I screwed up, I actually had him live in NG but I have no idea how I convinced him of not leaving searching for Logan.

I couldn't live with myself after running into
hollowed Solaire
in Lost Izalith, and decided to spend NG+ to prevent that from happening. And when
Siegmeyer jumped down into the pit
, I wasn't thinking and threw Chaos Fireballs down there which took out everything. "Imminent sorrow", indeed.

Managed to make amends for both of them in NG+, but stupidly used
Anastacia's
firekeeper soul to upgrade my flask instead of doing what you're supposed to, which made my repeated Four Kings failure even more painful because I had to keep on warping to Firelink each time.

Sigh. I guess NG++ will be when I finally do everything correctly, but not sure how keen I am to go through everything again at the moment.
You're telling me you're doing 4Ks without the Firelink Shrine bonfire? Oh man, that's a fuckload of suck, that's terrible :(

willooi

The good thing is that you can still warp there. So it's not a COMPLETE nightmare.

Yeah, it wasn't all that bad really, just an extra loading screen to warp there. Just annoying because it was really stupid to use that Firekeeper Soul so recklessly. If, say, I had to run all the way down to 4K from Sunlight Altar or something each and every time, that would've been it for me.

UrbanRats

I don't think you can
save Siegmeyer in any way
, unless you
consider not helping him ever = saving him.

Also willooi, why didn't you use the one from DarkrootBasin through VAlley of the Drakes? It's trickier (more tough enemies on the way) but closer.
EDIT: oh right you can still warp, i guess an extra loading screen was worth it. :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think you can
save Siegmeyer in any way
, unless you
consider not helping him ever = saving him.

You can.
Take out 3 of the 4 Squid monsters and let him kill the last one. If he has over 50% health at the end, he'll move on and live.

Grief.exe

Yeah, it wasn't all that bad really, just an extra loading screen to warp there. Just annoying because it was really stupid to use that Firekeeper Soul so recklessly. If, say, I had to run all the way down to 4K from Sunlight Altar or something each and every time, that would've been it for me.

You can run there from dark root basin in almost the same amount of time if you know where to jump.

NBtoaster

You can tell Laurentis you don't know what he's talking about when he asks you about your special Pyromancy and I'm keeping him alive that way, Siegmeyer can be saved, and I think I just did. I'm thinking you can save Reah if you just kill Petrus and don't buy all her stuff. Similar thing with Logan, just don't buy all his stuff and he'll only be insane, but at least not THAT insane. As for Griggs, I screwed up, I actually had him live in NG but I have no idea how I convinced him of not leaving searching for Logan.

Well that's not really the end of their stories, you're just chosing to not progress them :p

2AdEPT

God damn Manus. I can't summon anyone either, no Sif and no other human player, no signs are howing up (SL 80). :( I'm thinking about just finishing the game off and don't finish the DLC. What's with the place where you get burned by the dragon?

Im on right now if you want help - message AdEPTErik

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Well that's not really the end of their stories, you're just chosing to not progress them :p

When you get right down to it the player is the cause of most of the unfortunate fates that befall the game's NPCs. When you think of it that way ignoring them isn't choosing not to progress them, it's just being responsible and not inciting their self-destructive tendencies. The game doesn't slap any light side points or nothin' in your face, but just not talking to people is about the nicest thing you can do for all your Firelink Peeps.

It's a noble thing, really, isolating yourself socially from the undead.

zkylon

zkylewd
Gotta love how easy everything feels after 4K. Fire Centipede? Easy. Flamelurker? LOL. Let's try Seath now...

I'd be pretty annoyed I think if I had had to do it as many times as I did (15+). Just the normal walk there is pretty unbearable.

No,
he'll go hollow and get killed by his daughter in Ash Lake
, i just did that in my NG.
Aw man, that sucks. This fucking game...

You're too narrow minded, my friend. The choice not to take an action is also deciding the end of their stories, and I decide to keep them safe from themselves :)

Thrakier

Sif doesn't really help at all.

Idk if it raises his health or not because usually summoning an NPC does.

Keep practicing. Manus is tough.

Worst thing is that the swamp pyro isn't there and I can't level up my fireball to +20. That would help. Is the optional dragon boss easier?

Forkball

I just got to Sen's Fortress and it's like a damn Japanese game show.

Also I freed some guy in a vase in the depths, does he show up any time?

Sen's is when the game got real for me, amazing place, try to play it with someone over co op first if you get frustrated.

Worst thing is that the swamp pyro isn't there and I can't level up my fireball to +20. That would help. Is the optional dragon boss easier?
Quelaana only shows up after you upgrade your flame to +10 I think. Upgrade it through laurentius (firelink) or eingyi (daughter of chaos) first. If you've already beaten the bed of chaos though then it's too late.

cm osi

Quelaana only shows up after you upgrade your flame to +10 I think. Upgrade it through laurentius (firelink) or eingyi (daughter of chaos) first. If you've already beaten the bed of chaos though then it's too late.
i met her yesterday for the first time in my ng+ but i don't have the +10 flame.

Forkball

Ok so I found a peculiar sign that said "Sign of the Gravelord Servant." I looked it up an apparently someone was trying to infect my world with monsters? I didn't activate it, but I thought it was fairly odd because it was in the middle of Sen's Fortress which doesn't seem like an ideal place to invade.

Grief.exe

Sen's is when the game got real for me, amazing place, try to play it with someone over co op first if you get frustrated.

This is good advice.

The place is actually incredibly easy once you know its secrets, but your first time through I can see how it can be frustrating.

The place literally takes me a couple minutes now, and my first time through took me hours.

Ok so I found a peculiar sign that said "Sign of the Gravelord Servant." I looked it up an apparently someone was trying to infect my world with monsters? I didn't activate it, but I thought it was fairly odd because it was in the middle of Sen's Fortress which doesn't seem like an ideal place to invade.

Sen's is awesome for invading, makes it like a little game of cat and mouse.

krakov

The gravelord sign moves around with the player that is gravelording which may explain if it's found in an odd location.

2AdEPT

There is a way to actually save him. It involves talking to his daughter after certain encounters.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Siegmeyer+of+Catarina
well you can get the SLAB and that is all that has ever mattered for me ...but my intuition tells me there is no way to have this man live if you exhaust all dialogue. I felt sad the first time I went through the whole process with his daughter etc....but then killed her also to put her out oif her misery...worth an extra humanity...meh.

BUt you still have Einygi right? It takes a couple seconds to warp to the daughter of chaos and warp back no?

THat said I doubt your problem is pyro oriented...the difference between attack power is greater with use of rings and the dusk crown so if you don[t use those while pyroing you will see a greater boost in damage than if you upgrasde your flame, I mena you are plus 10 or 12 at least right? I found that Manus went down pretty quick with regualr steel weapons more so than elemental stuff...lightning in particualr seemed useless and magic was dampened for sure, but still did better than lightning. I really can't speak highly enough about the washing pole...if you use the running r1 you can run in from a LONG way out while he is distracted by SIF or a phantom and get your damge in rinse and repeat and get a buff on like darkmoon blade still helps a lot even with the magic resist...no armour, no shield, perhaps just pendant if he does that wierd magic shit...but he didn't do it at all th time I completed him...guess that makes sense and perhaps I was really lucky as I have failed on subsequent attempts and all but one attempt as a helper....he is a tough boss for sure.

I killed the dragon pretty easily once my help figured out what to do...if you can avoid his OHK shit then its just a matter of suing ranged stuff and hitting his ass and legs with your sword....but I got no tail...after watching videos I may have a chance next time but there is only one animation attack he does that will expose his tail properly and even with that you have ot be in perfect position to get it. I would say Kalameet is easier than Manus as there are less varied attacks to learn.

Thrakier

well you can get the SLAB and that is all that has ever mattered for me ...but my intuition tells me there is no way to have this man live if you exhaust all dialogue. I felt sad the first time I went through the whole process with his daughter etc....but then killed her also to put her out oif her misery...worth an extra humanity...meh.

BUt you still have Einygi right? It takes a couple seconds to warp to the daughter of chaos and warp back no?

THat said I doubt your problem is pyro oriented...the difference between attack power is greater with use of rings and the dusk crown so if you don[t use those while pyroing you will see a greater boost in damage than if you upgrasde your flame, I mena you are plus 10 or 12 at least right? I found that Manus went down pretty quick with regualr steel weapons more so than elemental stuff...lightning in particualr seemed useless and magic was dampened for sure, but still did better than lightning. I really can't speak highly enough about the washing pole...if you use the running r1 you can run in from a LONG way out while he is distracted by SIF or a phantom and get your damge in rinse and repeat and get a buff on like darkmoon blade still helps a lot even with the magic resist...no armour, no shield, perhaps just pendant if he does that wierd magic shit...but he didn't do it at all th time I completed him...guess that makes sense and perhaps I was really lucky as I have failed on subsequent attempts and all but one attempt as a helper....he is a tough boss for sure.

I killed the dragon pretty easily once my help figured out what to do...if you can avoid his OHK shit then its just a matter of suing ranged stuff and hitting his ass and legs with your sword....but I got no tail...after watching videos I may have a chance next time but there is only one animation attack he does that will expose his tail properly and even with that you have ot be in perfect position to get it. I would say Kalameet is easier than Manus as there are less varied attacks to learn.

Well, I only have the chaos sword +3 (elemental damage) and no helpers (no summon signs appear). My flame is +15.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Well, I only have the chaos sword +3 (elemental damage) and no helpers (no summon signs appear). My flame is +15.

Put on the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring you buy from the magic dude at Firelink. That'll be enough pyro damage before NG+.

Thing about Manus is he seems to (at least from my fights) react to the players' moves better than most bosses, and he does really well with smelling blood in the water, so to speak. You just need to read his patterns and only attack his leg and ass, one or two hits at a time while he's recovering. Always stay close to him and keep strafing to the side, use the Silver Pendant to nullify his magic. Then either shield up or get ready to roll. :p

All that can really be said, the Chaos Blade +3 should be more than sufficient, especially if you have any humanity.

zkylon

zkylewd

Sen's Fortress is great. Loved everything about that map and suffered so much pain too :p

I think in my opinion it's:

Tomb of Giants > Undead Burg/Parish > Sen's Fortress > Anor Londo > The Duke's Archives > The Catacombs > Blighttown > Darkroot Garden/Basin > New Londo Ruins > Depths > Demon Ruins > Lost Izalith

Forkball

There are places worse than Blighttown? Oh god.

I just reached Anor Londo. I also suffered my first invasion in Sen's Fortress. I was about halfway to the boss gate when I had an idea. I summoned Iron Tarkus, surely with two of us I would have the advantage. We met right at the gate and Tarkus got some nice shots in. They fought across the narrow beam, with the golem hurling fireballs. He was taking quite a bit of damage, and I tried to get some chaos fireballs in, but they either did no damage or somehow missed. Anyways, it seemed like victory was imminent, but he pulled be back towards a giant enemy which either me or Tarkus aggro'd, and so the enemy pretty much murdered Tarkus almost instantly. I decide to try to get to the boss gate, but the invader catches up to me and one hits me from behind. He later sent me a message saying he regretted killing Tarkus. Fortunately, on the next life, I actually managed to beat the Iron Golem boss (a lot of people seem to say he's easy, but I had real trouble with him).

I'm surprised how much I enjoy this game. I typically hate frustratingly hard games, but I feel Dark Souls is challenging but fair. Of course, there are some "that was BS" moments, but all games have those.

Top Bottom