• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

embalm

I'm done with this game. I unlocked the main door to the boss room as a short cut, so I went to farm painting guardians for loose humanity. I finally got one, saved at the bonfire on the bottom floor, and my plan was to run up, summon Solaire, and then take on the boss. First it was a miracle I even got to the summon spot because of the stupid giant knights that aggro, and I had to fight the silver knight archer. I get past the archer, kill him, and then summon Solaire. However, the giant knights are still aggrod, so by the time Solaire is summoned, the knights are pretty much destroying him. I run to the fog gate, and Solaire is fucking fighting the knight THROUGH THE FOG GATE while O and S whiddle down his health. He finally decides not to be a dumbass, but by that time he is at half health and easily dies, and I quickly follow.

It is just not worth the effort to backtrack and grind just to beat this stupid boss. It's like From intentionally made Anor Londo the least inconvenient place to get any items while throwing the hardest boss by a multiplier of 100 in there. The game was hard but fair at first, but now it's difficulty seems comically broken, as if it carefully crafted this scenario where you would be hopeless.

Forkball,

Usually people that struggle with S&O are a few levels or equipment upgrades shy of what I would recommend for a new player.

What's your equipment look like? They have a blacksmith right before these bosses for a reason, so upgrade your gear if you can.

Did you venture into the painted world yet? This can be a good place to cover that gap without having to grind, not to mention that you should grab some humanity and new equipment by the end.

Practice killing those Giant Knights, they are slow, but they are good practice for the S&O fight.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I figured some people might find this interesting.

Since Durante's fix allows us to pick our frame rate, I decided to try something out.

What I did was I set the frame rate to 120 and captured some video of it. Then, since most of us only have monitors with a 60hz refresh rate, I slowed them down by half.

So essentially, you can see how the animations look at half speed, while still keeping 60 frames per second.

Here are the examples. (Word of warning, it may run slow if your computer isn't up to snuff)

http://i.minus.com/ib2wOEQHIltUTn.gif

http://i.minus.com/iBVYlbTCD6Azc.gif

http://i.minus.com/iIlUowqt2Ggwq.gif

http://i.minus.com/i7f5ROEkgyrZI.gif

If anyone's interested in seeing some other animations like this feel free to let me know.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's pretty cool. Make sure to record the forward+R1 attack with Falchions/Scimitars. You know, the one she gives a crazy jump kick.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's pretty cool. Make sure to record the forward+R1 attack with Falchions/Scimitars. You know, the one she gives a crazy jump kick.

i7axchHju1ycT.gif

I did two more.

Pitch fork: http://i.minus.com/ivJfrIzpFuNQa.gif

Dark Hand: http://i.minus.com/i6LouNz6G9lzb.gif

UrbanRats

Someone need to take these animations and apply some useful info, like which frames so the parry work or (in case of the roll) when the i-frames take place, etc.
Amazing stuff anyhow.

Busta SMurk said:
Thanks! Yeah I really enjoy making them.
Fwiw, (some unasked for feedback!) they are pretty useful for bad players such as myself, and i like creative ways to handle bosses, plus (most importantly) you don't have an annoying voice or shtick, which is something far too common on youtube.
I'd say keep it natural (like it is now).

I figured some people might find this interesting.

Since Durante's fix allows us to pick our frame rate, I decided to try something out.

What I did was I set the frame rate to 120 and captured some video of it. Then, since most of us only have monitors with a 60hz refresh rate, I slowed them down by half.

So essentially, you can see how the animations look at half speed, while still keeping 60 frames per second.

Here are the examples. (Word of warning, it may run slow if your computer isn't up to snuff)

http://i.minus.com/ib2wOEQHIltUTn.gif

http://i.minus.com/iBVYlbTCD6Azc.gif

http://i.minus.com/iIlUowqt2Ggwq.gif

http://i.minus.com/i7f5ROEkgyrZI.gif

If anyone's interested in seeing some other animations like this feel free to let me know.

OMG these gifs are amazing!!!, good job, how did you get a full black background while keeping the model lit?

Also, what in the hell is this: http://i.minus.com/iIlUowqt2Ggwq.gif Dont tell me if its a spoiler of something after O&S

Also, I would like to put in a request for the Zhewehainder.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's also similar is the flow of the boss fights in this game. Once again, the dual bosses are the hardest bosses (because the Soul games can't handle group combat)

S&O worst boss fight in the game, confirmed. At least I'm not the only one that thinks having two enemies bum rush your ass is bullshit because the game can't handle it.

(Though I disagree with him and find Demon's >>>>>>> Dark. MP > cast charges. No-poise > Poise bullshit. Etc.)

Edit: Whoops, meant to post this in the original thread.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
OMG these gifs are amazing!!!, good job, how did you get a full black background while keeping the model lit?

Also, what in the hell is this: http://i.minus.com/iIlUowqt2Ggwq.gif Dont tell me if its a spoiler of something after O&S

Also, I would like to put in a request for the Zhewehainder.

You'll figure out the all black background.

And here's the Zhewehainder.

ibxVAjeEETQZhL.gif

Here's two more I did. I think these three are probably some of the coolest looking ones.

Dagger: http://i.minus.com/itr7RB4eYP2kJ.gif

Fire: http://i.minus.com/ibdq4fGcBXVThL.gif

ArynCrinn

Banned
What's also similar is the flow of the boss fights in this game. Once again, the dual bosses are the hardest bosses (because the Soul games can't handle group combat)

S&O worst boss fight in the game, confirmed. At least I'm not the only one that thinks having two enemies bum rush your ass is bullshit because the game can't handle it.

(Though I disagree with him and find Demon's >>>>>>> Dark. MP > cast charges. No-poise > Poise bullshit. Etc.)

Except the Souls games CAN handle group combat, in the hands of a decent player. There is no mechanical or design deficiency, it just about being the master of the space around you and mastering the systems. Selective use and lock-on and off, or no lock on makes O&S more than doable.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alright I've got one more to post.

Tarkus: http://i.minus.com/ibcRlzRGAYOdNr.gif

I'll hold off on them now. If anybodys got requests I'll try and do them, but I don't wanna clog the thread.

ElFly

What.

O&S is one of the best boss fights this gen. Hell, I have like 6 saves abandoned in the princess chamber, cause I know the rest of the game cannot top it.

Ridley327

Who is Sarumarine and why should I care about his bad opinion?

Grief.exe

Who is Sarumarine and why should I care about his bad opinion?

Just sounds like an overall bad player who is mad

I remember in Dark Souls unlocking the final Pyromancy spell and finding how utterly useless it was (even though it's an area attack spell). I missed Seath the Scaleless with it, a three story tall crystal dragon.

He obviously thinks this game isn't worth playing.

I was surprised to find lots of people still playing this game well after its release date, as levels were littered with bloodstains and messages.

Ridley327

I don't understand what's wrong about the poise system, either; it makes a shitload of sense when you get down to it. If you're using light armor, you're giving it in up lieu of the added mobility and invincibility frames of the fast roll. If you're using heavier armor, you get to take a few hits and keep on going, but you move like a slug when you're not attacking. Seems to me that's a pretty balanced system.

WOOOOOOO, just beat DLC boss
MANUS
without getting hit, level 18, base vitality. I feel like that's an achievement. I have it on video, I'll try to get it up on YouTube overnight.

Ridley327

For a first time playthrough, what would you recommend? Playing blind? What about build? Anything else?

Playing blind is definitely the most memorable way to play the game initially, but don't be afraid to call on help when you need it in-game; the summoning system isn't there for show, despite how the netcode can be at times.

Kwixotik

Playing blind is definitely the most memorable way to play the game initially, but don't be afraid to call on help when you need it in-game; the summoning system isn't there for show, despite how the netcode can be at times.

What about build? Stat distribution is the main concern right now. And should I go out of my way to level up?

For a first time playthrough, what would you recommend? Playing blind? What about build? Anything else?

Blind. My first play-through was like 90 hours. Having to find everything out on my own, is what made me truly appreciate this game. I did get stuck a couple times, and had to seek help, but it was minimal.

What about build? Stat distribution is the main concern right now. And should I go out of my way to level up?

You can't really mess up your build, that bad anyways. Usually, putting more than 40-50 points into an attribute has diminishing returns, so those points are better spent elsewhere.

A tip though: if you like a weapons moveset, and like the way it feels, just stick with it. There will be opportunities in the game where you can upgrade your weapon.

The cool thing about Dark Souls, is that, in general no weapon is superior than the next. Once upgraded, they are all pretty bad ass, assuming the person wielding it has good control. Hence, if you find something you like, stick with it.

Put stats into they category it scales with.

Today I learned:

- That enemies poisoned in Sen's Fortress will still give souls even though you've gone to Anor Londo before they die.

- If you rescue Rhea before going to the Parish (or have gone there but haven't killed it?...), the Heavy Knight will not be at the altar (don't know yet if he will appear once Rhea is dead.)

- You can kill Capra Demon from outside the fog gate with Dung Pies - it will take a bit of trial and error to get the trajectory right, stand under the little archway and position the camera very low so your throws go over the top of the fog gate wall. It took 3 to toxic him I think (don't forget blooming moss!)

Sarumarine bad player confirmed.

O&S is the best fight in the game, with Bed of Chaos being the worst.

Edit:
Another classic quote
SARUMARINE said:
But that's just me. I also think the Capra Demon is the hardest boss in the Souls franchise with his two dogs and his narrow alley where he can just beat the snot out of you when you're early level without any cool armor. And the camera is stuck in a building or a tree leaving you blind while he chops you up with his pair of machetes. That guy... he left me scarred.

Grief.exe

SARUMARINE said:
But that's just me. I also think the Capra Demon is the hardest boss in the Souls franchise with his two dogs and his narrow alley where he can just beat the snot out of you when you're early level without any cool armor. And the camera is stuck in a building or a tree leaving you blind while he chops you up with his pair of machetes. That guy... he left me scarred.

lol

One of the easier bosses in the game?

Oh U

bj0G4.jpg

Dark Souls Thread: Prepare to be undermined

He is a boss only in the most technical sense. He only has like 3 (ludicrously telegraphed and easily avoidable) moves and appears as a normal enemy later. The only thing that could possibly make the fight hard is how cramped the area is - but they give you stairs. Just run up the stairs, kill the dogs - fight done.

That's all in hindsight. Capra is surely the toughest section of the game thus far as long as you're sticking to the beaten path.

Even once you are familiar with the fight it can sometimes throw you a curve ball because of the dogs. I find poise is most important here and a weapon that doesn't have any dodgy hitboxes because the dogs can jump about or you can miss then with certain weapons. If the dogs jump at you with poise you can just tank through it and kill them, but without poise they can stagger you mid-attack animation, then Capra gets a hit in and you're scrambling to heal with all 3 of them gunning for you.

Getting the wolf ring early is what I do if I have no poise. Grass crest shield for stamina regen and kill the dogs first. I agree though, Capra itself is a boss only in name, it's no more difficult to face alone than say one of the butchers in the Depths.

I think anyone who had problems with Capra after dying to him once or twice isn't thinking smart - this game is so free and easy with how you approach it and it almost always gives you the tools to get the job done easier - if you're not using them, that's your own fault.

willooi

Are there any resident DS lore experts here able to help out with a couple of questions I have about Lautrec? Huge spoilers so please don't read if you haven't finished the game or gone through the Lautrec subplot previously.

When you first meet him, he's been
imprisoned in Undead Parish with his cell guarded by Balder Knights - and given that these Knights also guard Sen's Fortress, the one remaining pathway to Anor Londo, which also happens to be where you find him later on for your Spirit of Vengeance invasion...why was he seen as such a threat, and just what was he up to with Anastacia's Firekeeper Soul?

The Ring of Favour and Protection he drops, along with his armour set, describe him as being utterly devoted to and smitten with the Goddess Fina, so was he on a mission to break into Anor Londo to - time for some speculation - perhaps kill Gwynevere and in her place somehow revive or make corporeal his one true love with that Soul? And judging by his corpse on the top floor of the cathedral past the elevators on the opposite side of the Princess' Chamber - he probably came this close to his goal (well, not taking into account how Gwynevere may not be what she seems...) before maybe Ornstein & Smough got to him in a previous 'life' or 'parallel universe' in Lordran.

Reading the description of his stuff was a real shock; I mean, "Armour of Lautrec the Embraced"...it seemed to be quite a neat twist to discover that he was simply acting out of love, as misplaced or deluded as it may have been.

In other words, as the Chosen Undead, we totally just ruined the guy's date.

Thrakier

That's all in hindsight. Capra is surely the toughest section of the game thus far as long as you're sticking to the beaten path.

Even once you are familiar with the fight it can sometimes throw you a curve ball because of the dogs. I find poise is most important here and a weapon that doesn't have any dodgy hitboxes because the dogs can jump about or you can miss then with certain weapons. If the dogs jump at you with poise you can just tank through it and kill them, but without poise they can stagger you mid-attack animation, then Capra gets a hit in and you're scrambling to heal with all 3 of them gunning for you.

Getting the wolf ring early is what I do if I have no poise. Grass crest shield for stamina regen and kill the dogs first. I agree though, Capra itself is a boss only in name, it's no more difficult to face alone than say one of the butchers in the Depths.

I think anyone who had problems with Capra after dying to him once or twice isn't thinking smart - this game is so free and easy with how you approach it and it almost always gives you the tools to get the job done easier - if you're not using them, that's your own fault.

Please leave thread.

2AdEPT

You do get loose humanity from Silver Knights, I've farmed up 10 SL's killing every one of them during the routine, and eventually you'll get some.
Silver knights don't drop humanity....you get the loose humanity from other players who die where you are standing in their game....pvp hotspots are the best places to get loose humanity like anor londo and undead burg.
FX1VC.png

This is true, happened to me in Sen's and Anor Londo. It's pretty annoying.

There should've been a covenant that prevents you getting invaded. But in return you can't invade either. So you could only summon or be summoned. Something like that.

Actually, several of the covenants decrease your likelihood of invasion...way of the white and several other faith based ones iirc.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Silver knights don't drop humanity....you get the loose humanity from other players who die where you are standing in their game....pvp hotspots are the best places to get loose humanity like anor londo and undead burg.

Alright cool, I was mistaken then. All I really remembered was getting my Humanity ticker up and up during those routines. Was probably doing it for like three hours.

Learn something new about Dark Souls every week! So I guess the best spot would be the Painting room for Anor Londo (offline).

Grief.exe

Are there any resident DS lore experts here able to help out with a couple of questions I have about Lautrec? Huge spoilers so please don't read if you haven't finished the game or gone through the Lautrec subplot previously.

When you first meet him, he's been
imprisoned in Undead Parish with his cell guarded by Balder Knights - and given that these Knights also guard Sen's Fortress, the one remaining pathway to Anor Londo, which also happens to be where you find him later on for your Spirit of Vengeance invasion...why was he seen as such a threat, and just what was he up to with Anastacia's Firekeeper Soul?

The Ring of Favour and Protection he drops, along with his armour set, describe him as being utterly devoted to and smitten with the Goddess Fina, so was he on a mission to break into Anor Londo to - time for some speculation - perhaps kill Gwynevere and in her place somehow revive or make corporeal his one true love with that Soul? And judging by his corpse on the top floor of the cathedral past the elevators on the opposite side of the Princess' Chamber - he probably came this close to his goal (well, not taking into account how Gwynevere may not be what she seems...) before maybe Ornstein & Smough got to him in a previous 'life' or 'parallel universe' in Lordran.

Reading the description of his stuff was a real shock; I mean, "Armour of Lautrec the Embraced"...it seemed to be quite a neat twist to discover that he was simply acting out of love, as misplaced or deluded as it may have been.

In other words, as the Chosen Undead, we totally just ruined the guy's date.

Its mostly just speculation because not too much is known about this.

But the real gwynevere left anor Londo a long time ago. Gwyndolin is projecting an illusion of gwynevere to keep appearances.

Fina could be gwynevere. And lautrec could have come on mission for her to help usher in the age of dark (killing the fire keeper) and destroying her illusion.

Ridley327

But the real gwynevere left anor Londo a long time ago. Gwyndolin is projecting an illusion of gwynevere to keep appearances.

Fina could be gwynevere. And lautrec could have come on mission for her to help usher in the age of dark (killing the fire keeper) and destroying her illusion.

I think it's important to point out that Lautrec's Anor Londo is already dark when you invade him, which suggests that he's already killed his "Gwynevere."

zkylon

zkylewd

Spoiler tag that shit man!

I think it's important to point out that Lautrec's Anor Londo is already dark when you invade him, which suggests that he's already killed his "Gwynevere."
You sure about that?
I don't remember Lautrec's "world" looking as it did when I killed Gwynevere. See in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QW2093uqEU. But notice that you spawn as a blue phantom, possibly as a "contracted Darkmoon agent", so he most likely killed his own fake Gwynevere, out of love, madness, whatever, probably after you freed him like the fool good for nothing chosen undead you are.

i'm going to 1K/1K this game for a second time. then i'll start a SL1 run with no spells and no summons. i have an unhealthy obsession with this game right now. Durante's fix is godly.

my first time through this game on 360, i didn't realize that you could quickly switch to the covetous serpent ring and symbol of avarice right after beating a boss and still get the bonus souls. ...nice.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
playing a fat character at qualaag.

I enter the room, she does the jumping vomit attack , it catches me, i then get stuck on her legs while rolling out of the lava, lava stuns me and i get aoe'd.

Twice in a row now.

i miss my Dex character. ;_;

i'm going to 1K/1K this game for a second time. then i'll start a SL1 run with no spells and no summons. i have an unhealthy obsession with this game right now. Durante's fix is godly.

my first time through this game on 360, i didn't realize that you could quickly switch to the covetous serpent ring and symbol of avarice right after beating a boss and still get the bonus souls. ...nice.

oh wow, thanks for the tip! finally a use for my soa.

playing a fat character at qualaag.

I enter the room, she does the jumping vomit attack , it catches me, i then get stuck on her legs while rolling out of the lava, lava stuns me and i get aoe'd.

Twice in a row now.

i miss my Dex character. ;_;

so far I've only managed to get a slow character to Blighty before I get annoyed and go back to light armour. to be honest that's my usual style in arpgs anyway, I didn't use block once in the 110 hours I spent playing the witcher 2.

Top Bottom