• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

NBtoaster

Clams are assholes. Their attacks are perfectly timed so that if you're knocked down by an attack you're immediately hit when you get back up.

zkylon

zkylewd
Clams are assholes. Their attacks are perfectly timed so that if you're knocked down by an attack you're immediately hit when you get back up.
I've historically farmed them grabbing the Silver Knight Spear with both hands and just R1R1R1R1R1R1R1R1R1R1. They seem to go off balance with each hit, so they're pretty easy.

No such luck with the scythes, since they're way slower...

I really wish I understood how damage works in this game. I have the Obsidian Greatsword+5 that says 480 physical damage. My Lifehunt Scythe+5 has 270 physical, yet its actual damage is higher :/

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
I've had the PS3 version since launch, but now that the PC version is looking amazing with DSfix and everything, I'm thinking of double-dipping and getting it on Steam.
I already know the PC version obviously has a better framerate, and much higher resolutions, but how is the online play?
I've heard people complaining about the netcode, how it's hard to connect to other players. Is this true? I can't really justify getting the Steam copy if I can't really be invaded, or summon people into my world.

Edit: Forgot to ask about the prevalence of hacking as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lifehunt will stagger the clam on the first hit, and kill them on the second.

The trick is to wait for them to do one of their really long attacks, like the delayed charge or the big bite.

Or the one where they swing their heads twice.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've had the PS3 version since launch, but now that the PC version is looking amazing with DSfix and everything, I'm thinking of double-dipping and getting it on Steam.
I already know the PC version obviously has a better framerate, and much higher resolutions, but how is the online play?
I've heard people complaining about the netcode, how it's hard to connect to other players. Is this true? I can't really justify getting the Steam copy if I can't really be invaded, or summon people into my world.

Edit: Forgot to ask about the prevalence of hacking as well.
Haven't had a run in with hackers, but they're at large and unpunished, that's for sure. I mean, you can look at any of the leaderboards and the top 10 have all like 50 million humanity donated to the Fair Lady and such.

As for the rest, some's good, some isn't. Signs and bloodstains work alright, getting invaded in high traffic areas too, summoning people is wonky at best, but works, but it's all very unreliable. I've never been able to invade anyone as a Darkmoon covenanter, and sometimes I'll see no signs, bloodstains or ghosts and the next day it'll work alright.

I've tried doing the whole uPnP thing and whatnot but it didn't really help, so I reset it back to the unrecommended settings, but I guess it's not what most should do. I just don't like changing internet security stuff because of GFWL.

Lifehunt will stagger the clam on the first hit, and kill them on the second.

The trick is to wait for them to do one of their really long attacks, like the delayed charge or the big bite.

Or the one where they swing their heads twice.
Doesn't really work for me in NG+, since I try to get many to follow me at the same time. Silver Knight Spear is alright, and it's a great weapon for everyone to get, specially for when you visit The Catacombs.

Dyno

Started a new game as a Pyromancer. Ended up alive in the Undead Burg and saw a white sign. So I summoned a guy with that child's mask and a giant shield. I wonder how great the level gap can be? Anyway this guy is pounding through everything and I'm enjoying playing second fiddle. Then he drops 50 Humanity and 10 Titanite Slabs! Well okay then! We kill the Taurus boss and call it a day.

What weapons are ideal for a Pyro? I did a little bit of levelling up and now have 12 in Strength and Dexterity. I'm not sure if I should focus on Strength, on Dexterity, or just level them both up and use balanced weapons? Any thoughts?

BadWolf

Started a new game as a Pyromancer. Ended up alive in the Undead Burg and saw a white sign. So I summoned a guy with that child's mask and a giant shield. I wonder how great the level gap can be? Anyway this guy is pounding through everything and I'm enjoying playing second fiddle. Then he drops 50 Humanity and 10 Titanite Slabs! Well okay then! We kill the Taurus boss and call it a day.

What weapons are ideal for a Pyro? I did a little bit of levelling up and now have 12 in Strength and Dexterity. I'm not sure if I should focus on Strength, on Dexterity, or just level them both up and use balanced weapons? Any thoughts?

Pyro doesn't scale with your stats, its power depends on how much you upgrade the glove.

So aside from upgrading the glove you can do whatever you want with your stats and pick whatever weapon you like. Upgrade Dexterity or Strenght depending on which weapon you want to use. Focusing on one stat instead of both will yield better results.

EasyMode

A Dex build can benefit a pyro since Dex up to 45 speeds up casting speed. Also, the merchant in the undead burg drops an Unchigatana, which is a nice early Dex weapon. It requires 14 Str & Dex. You can even lure an enemy near him to do the dirty work. Just an idea!

Also seconding BadWolf about focusing on Str or Dex, but not both.

Taruranto

qrTdX.png

Ahah.

BadWolf

How did you guys find the new content in the PC version? Worth getting for?

Read somewhere that's its something like 3 hours long or so, doesn't seem like much. In terms of quality is it up to par compared to the main game? Are the new areas cool/memorable?

Haly

Read somewhere that's its something like 3 hours long or so, doesn't seem like much. In terms of quality is it up to par compared to the main game? Are the new areas cool/memorable?
1 of the best bosses in the game, 3 really cool armor sets, 5 or so awesome weapons, and 2 great areas.

I think it's well worth it.

zkylon

zkylewd

It's great, two of the best bosses in the game, the other two are decent, there's some cool equipment, a few interesting story bits and it's fucking Artorias, man.

A456B91DC81F852A921E53D88804E067EEE60BC1

I dare you to say no to this mofo...

BadWolf

^Lol, thanks guys, sounds awesome.

I've just got a couple more areas to go in the main game and will stop short of fighting the final boss, will then wait for the DLC to hit so I can jump straight into the new content.

Dyno

A Dex build can benefit a pyro since Dex up to 45 speeds up casting speed. Also, the merchant in the undead burg drops an Unchigatana, which is a nice early Dex weapon. It requires 14 Str & Dex. You can even lure an enemy near him to do the dirty work. Just an idea!

Also seconding BadWolf about focusing on Str or Dex, but not both.

Thanks! I didn't know about Dex. and casting speed. It makes sense because with my starting Dex. of 9 I was slow to cast my fire bolt. Dex. it is then!

Haly

I don't like Gough or the Guardian sets >_>

I was thinking of Ciaran, Artorias and Chester.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't like Gough or the Guardian sets >_>

I was thinking of Ciaran, Artorias and Chester.
Yup, agreed on all accounts. Ciaran's specially.

I wonder what your cool areas are. I thought Oolacile Township was pretty good, but the rest of the DLC areas felt flat for me.

Haly

Oolacile and Chasm, Royal woods was boring and homogenous. Chasm also has the same problem but THOSE ENEMIES MAN.

THOSE ENEMIES.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I can understand. It's quite an image the first time you see it.
Speaking of which, do we have any theories on what the hell happens in the DLC?

What the hell are all those "living" humanities doing in the Abyss? If we go by Frampt theory of the Age of Darkness being the Age of Man, maybe Frampt's Dark Lord is Manus, hidden in the deepest of the Abyss, spawning raw disembodied humanity, giving birth to the Age of Man/Humanity/Dark. Are you pulling a Fallout-2-return-to-the-past-to-destroy-your-own water-chip and stop the Abyss from spreading, giving Gwyn more time and prolonging the undead curse in the process?

Speculation time!

chasm of the abyss would have been more enjoyable if my framerate didn't drop sharply every time I look at the center. perhaps it's the abyss gazing back into me?

Ok friends, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

You know the one with the two guys.
O&S.

I've done this sequence of areas:

f.l.shrine -> undead burg -> undead parish -> depths -> blightown -> queelag fight -> Sen's fortress - > anor londo -> painted world -> 2nd half of anor londo.

I have decent equipment, SL 60. with 30 faith. 16 str 16 dex., anything else in vit and end

equipment and question:
a +10 halberd
a +10 uchigatana
a +3 lightning spear
a occult club
various other +5 weapons (anything I had that didnt take twinkling titanite is probably at +5).

I'm getting creamed by O&S, my weapon of choice is the halberd, but I find it is too slow vs. these 2. I can barely get hits off and they dont do much damage. Should I grind up another weapon to +10? Convert something to lightning? The giant blacksmith wont let me convert anything to fire, i must not have an item.
Stick with O&S (want that teleport) or backtrack to an area I skipped/planned on doing later and get a key item?

Advice?

<3

Haly

Use Uchi, take your time, summon Solaire and another phantom.

Or if you insist on soloing it, go for Ornstein first.

willooi

O&S.

f.l.shrine -> undead burg -> undead parish -> depths -> blightown -> queelag fight -> Sen's fortress - > anor londo -> painted world -> 2nd half of anor londo.

I have decent equipment, SL 60. with 30 faith. 16 str 16 dex., anything else in vit and end

equipment and question:
a +10 halberd
a +10 uchigatana
a +3 lightning spear
a occult club
various other +5 weapons (anything I had that didnt take twinkling titanite is probably at +5).

I'm getting creamed by O&S, my weapon of choice is the halberd, but I find it is too slow vs. these 2. I can barely get hits off and they dont do much damage. Should I grind up another weapon to +10? Convert something to lightning? The giant blacksmith wont let me convert anything to fire, i must not have an item.
Stick with O&S (want that teleport) or backtrack to an area I skipped/planned on doing later and get a key item?

Advice?

<3

Do you have any Charcoal Pine Resin on you? You could add that to your +10 Uchi as these guys are weak to fire. Doesn't sound like you're a pyro build, but if you happened to find the glove in Blighttown and have a few corresponding spells, worth switching up just for this part. Otherwise, if you've got any firebombs or black firebombs, now's the time to use them.

Do you have the Thunder Stoneplate Ring from the merchant hidden away in Sen's? Well worth equipping or making the trip back to grab it - the electricity defense boost helps a lot if you're caught in their butt-stomp radius.

The fire blacksmith is located all the way in the Catacombs, so not really practical to travel back down there without the warp ability, and plus it's hell trying to get back out of there manually.

willooi

Speaking of which, do we have any theories on what the hell happens in the DLC?

What the hell are all those "living" humanities doing in the Abyss? If we go by Frampt theory of the Age of Darkness being the Age of Man, maybe Frampt's Dark Lord is Manus, hidden in the deepest of the Abyss, spawning raw disembodied humanity, giving birth to the Age of Man/Humanity/Dark. Are you pulling a Fallout-2-return-to-the-past-to-destroy-your-own water-chip and stop the Abyss from spreading, giving Gwyn more time and prolonging the undead curse in the process?

Speculation time!

In a word - yes. I think you've got it spot on.

So Gwyn and Manus are the polar opposite gods in this universe, e.g. Sunlight vs Darkness, with neither of them really being 'good' or 'bad'; if anything they're just as bad as each other and, doing what a power-obsessed god does, I suppose: wanting complete and utter dominance. And the reason why Lordran has been turned into the living hellhole it's become is because of this war these gods waged against one another to determine whether it was the Age of Darkness (go humanity!) or the Age of Fire (boo gods!) prevailing.

But then you - the Chosen Undead- come along, where in the main story not only do you get to pick an ending to this conflict, but thanks to the time-travelling events of the DLC,
the context of the main story ending changes now in that you're essentially finishing off what you started, or at least had a huge hand in influencing..and in the process, destroying both gods and taking the place of one or the other.

Seems to me that by going back in time, you're at about the halfway point or thereabouts of this 'Great War', right after Artorias failed in his mission. What I want to know is what Hawkeye Gough is doing down there...I assumed that he was sent down there with Artorias to defeat Manus, but upon Artorias getting corrupted he became demoralised and abandoned his post, ala Oscar of Astora in the Asylum?

The prologue to the game mentions the 'the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten' - and I'm guessing that, not only was this previous pygmy NOT another person, but that it was actually YOU, given your presence in both past and present. So in effect, rather than waiting for this Chosen Undead to 'return' to Lordran...you actually just went back to set all these events in place to begin with.

koryuken

The prologue to the game mentions the 'the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten' - and I'm guessing that, not only was this previous pygmy NOT another person, but that it was actually YOU, given your presence in both past and present. So in effect, rather than waiting for this Chosen Undead to 'return' to Lordran...you actually just went back to set all these events in place to begin with.

The general consensus is that Manus (the father of the abyss) is the Pygmy. he helped Gwyn kill the dragons and kindle the first flame. Your character never goes THAT far back in time.

dani_dc

The general consensus is that Manus (the father of the abyss) is the Pygmy. he helped Gwyn kill the dragons and kindle the first flame. Your character never goes THAT far back in time.

Until the next DLC/sequel!

The only thing I can think of right now is perhaps the retail copy isn't redeemable on Steam; if it was Steamworks, you'd have to install it through Steam.

The retail copy is redeemable on Steam. Though it's an optional activation, which is why he didn't had to install it via Steam.

No idea why PairOfFilthySocks is failing to register it though, my best guess would be that he's mistyping the code when inputting it on Steam. If all else fails I suppose try to contact Steam support and see if they can sort it out.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I never found the Painted World on my first playthrough. Since I want to discover it for myself, I just want to know if it's easy to find, or do you have to do some obscure BS to get to it? I'm in Anor Londo now. I assume that to enter this level you gotta find a mysterious looking painting or something near the Duke's Archives. Am I hot or cold?

zkylon

zkylewd
The Pigmy is a clever bit by FROM that I really like. He's not mentioned in the game by name after the intro, and even then the narrator says "he's easily forgotten", and I really like that double meaning.

I really like the idea of humanity being some sort of poison that corrupts the gods and their creations.

O&S.

equipment and question:
a +10 halberd
a +10 uchigatana
a +3 lightning spear
a occult club

Advice?

<3
I find the best tactic against S&O is to always make sure you're staring at both at the same time and try to set a column in between you and them. They'll get stuck in it and allow you to get a free hit or two, then back up again. Don't be too close to the columns, as Orstein can hit you from the other side.

And it's much easier if you kill Ornstein first (you should use a fast weapon, the Uchigatana is a good choice) since Super Saiyan Smough is much much easier.

2AdEPT

I never found the Painted World on my first playthrough. Since I want to discover it for myself, I just want to know if it's easy to find, or do you have to do some obscure BS to get to it? I'm in Anor Londo now. I assume that to enter this level you gotta find a mysterious looking painting or something near the Duke's Archives. Am I hot or cold?

Yes its easy to find, and yes there is BS involved.

you're not too far off....but it is really really obvious where the painted world is ....when you start fighting painted guardians is it possible they are guarding a painting??? Just a guess? The hard part is knowing what object you need to have with you in order to enter...if you already found it then its easy...if you don't have it...... its hard! ;P best to check a wiki if you don't...the game is too large to be fooling around trying to guess.

yes I realize that you don't know the name of them until AFTER you go through the world and collect their Armour....but I couldn't resist...in a very sarcastic mood tonight ...sorry if its taken as offensive.

If you really want to find it yourself examine all paintings in Anor Londo and one will be a little different than the others....but good luck on your own if you don't have the item already......wiki is your only hope at that point as there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the item being linked to what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure that FROM likes to get people using the wikis instead of putting things in their own manual (although I traveled to a different country on launch just to get the hardcover guide)...increases community questions like we are experiencing here right now!

2AdEPT

Holy Crap! I just realized only now that I never figured out how to do a foot sweep like shown in that original P2D trailer?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

WTF did I miss it and am a huge fool or did it never make the final cut???

I just tried kicking with the
Lords armour
on and that did not work...or is it
chesters
? Nope didn't work either.

Haly

Chester does the kick but i'm not sure if his armor lets you do that.

O&S.

equipment and question:
a +10 halberd
a +10 uchigatana
a +3 lightning spear
a occult club
O&S is less about equipment and more about your equipment load. Fire weapons are good, but it's all about speed.

Get equip. load down to 25% either through less armour or use of rings etc. So you can fast roll basically (or ninja flip). Also they're so big there is no reason to ever really lock on. A good thing to learn in general actually is not to lock on all the time.

And you probably knew, but you can only kill one of them before the other supersizes, it's impossible to kill both in their smaller size, even if you managed to take them both out simultaneously, one will supersize. Whoever you kill last is the one who's armour you can buy from Domnhall under the viaduct, so take that into consideration. Ornstein also drops a ring.

Forkball

Ok, bit the bullet and trekked from Anor Londo back to Firelink. I went to the depths for a bit and got two humanity from the rats. I don't want to trek back to Anor and lose again to O+S, so I am trying to do some other stuff. I beat the titanite demon next to the Undead Burg blacksmith and it leads too a new area. Could I do it at SL46? Also, how do I get back to the asylum? I found a key on a roof in Firelink. ALSO, how do I get to the merchant in Undead Burg without going through all of it again. What's the fastest way from Firelink? Any other recommendations about places I should go or loot I should get to prep up for O+S?

kinggroin

Banned
Ok, bit the bullet and trekked from Anor Londo back to Firelink. I went to the depths for a bit and got two humanity from the rats. I don't want to trek back to Anor and lose again to O+S, so I am trying to do some other stuff. I beat the titanite demon next to the Undead Burg blacksmith and it leads too a new area. Could I do it at SL46? Also, how do I get back to the asylum? I found a key on a roof in Firelink. ALSO, how do I get to the merchant in Undead Burg without going through all of it again. What's the fastest way from Firelink? Any other recommendations about places I should go or loot I should get to prep up for O+S?

To get to the asylum, use the elevator shortcut in fire link that takes you to undead burg, but jump off early and make your way to the right. Then jump towards a buttress and climb up the spiral staircase and make your way to the nest. interacting with it in your character will curl up into a ball, wait about 20 seconds and the crow will take you back to the asylum area.

to help save you some headache, I highly recommend equipping or using an item that will mitigate long falls, when you arrive at the asylum.

Your level is fine for Darkroot - the area after the Titanite Demon under the Parish, although I might save the boss Sif for after O&S, but you can certainly do the Moonlight Butterfly boss, it's one of the easiest.

Once you beat O&S you get the ability to warp between bonfires, but before that have you opened the cage lift in Sen's Fortress? It takes you from top to bottom, so it literally takes a minute or two to get from Firelink to Anor Londo.

The key on the roof of Firelink is for a door back at the Asylum for a very useful item - a word of warning about the Asylum
be careful when you walk through the room where you fought the original Asylum demon boss, the floor gives way and you face a stronger version of the same boss - best to avoid the center of the room until you have gone to one of the bonfires at the Asylum to save you going all the way back there in case you die. Well worth killing the boss though as it drops a slab!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Your level is fine for Darkroot - the area after the Titanite Demon under the Parish, although I might save the boss Sif for after O&S, but you can certainly do the Moonlight Butterfly boss, it's one of the easiest.

Once you beat O&S you get the ability to warp between bonfires, but before that have you opened the cage lift in Sen's Fortress? It takes you from top to bottom, so it literally takes a minute or two to get from Firelink to Anor Londo.

The key on the roof of Firelink is for a door back at the Asylum for a very useful item - a word of warning about the Asylum
be careful when you walk through the room where you fought the original Asylum demon boss, the floor gives way and you face a stronger version of the same boss - best to avoid the center of the room until you have gone to one of the bonfires at the Asylum to save you going all the way back there in case you die. Well worth killing the boss though as it drops a slab!

Wait wait wait... what cage lift..?

God damn it From

Fuck Blight Town.

Not because of the framerate.
Not because the level design is so tricky.
Not because of the blow darts.

But because of that annoying howling. I HEAR howling, but I don't know WHERE they're coming from. I thought it 100% means I aggro'd something but apparently not. I saw an enemy that wasn't aggro'd but I hear the howl whenever he gets closer to me while he's doing patrol. It's so nerve-wrecking. I very often end up standing for a long time waiting for SOMETHING to get near me.

Please don't tell me Tomb of the Giants and New Anor Londo and that ghost town below Firelink are mandatory.

Top Bottom