• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ridley327

Shit, I installed the game and used my CD key, so I tried entering the key on Steam but got an 'invalid key' error. The back of the box says 'Steam powered', though.

Did you get any Steam prompts during the installation, though? Retail Steam titles will communicate with Steam regardless, so even though you install the game, you will have it tied to your account from that point forward.

Did you get any Steam prompts during the installation, though? Retail Steam titles will communicate with Steam regardless, so even though you install the game, you will have it tied to your account from that point forward.

I know, but I got no prompts like that. Steam is installed on an external HDD, perhaps the install didn't see it?

The only thing I can think of right now is perhaps the retail copy isn't redeemable on Steam; if it was Steamworks, you'd have to install it through Steam.

Arrgh I just want to play the damn thing at the moment. You reckon GFWL will mess up my saves if I start playing now and then move them when/if I get it on Steam?

Ridley327

Arrgh I just want to play the damn thing at the moment. You reckon GFWL will mess up my saves if I start playing now and then move them when/if I get it on Steam?

I wouldn't think so, since the only Steamworks application that the game has is being able to be registered on Steam, but I would still make use of Game Save Manager just to be on the safe side.

willooi

Thanks for the replies regarding Lautrec, guys. I also wonder who his two companions were when you invaded his world...anyone get a good look at the armour they were wearing, maybe?

Edit: Looks like the caster is wearing a Crimson (Sealer's) Robe, and the spearman has generic knight armour on with the Grass Crest Shield, neither of them with headgear: http://youtu.be/7QW2093uqEU?t=55s.

All in all as far as his intentions go, I guess we'll never know for certain but that just adds to the intrigue and mystery =)

Mechanically speaking, I also really like how the Ring of Favour and Protection is clearly an item that grants much benefit, but countered by the fact that it 'breaks' if taken off and needs to permanently take up a precious ring slot. For FROM to then weave a story regarding a possessive, "fateful" Goddess who effectively abandons you if you're no longer faithful to her, is brilliant.

Hell, maybe Lautrec was just driven mad by not being able to equip the Dark Wood Grain and Cloranthy Rings at the same time...it definitely gets to me, but taking Fina's ring off leads to instant regret when you see your stats drop noticeably - totally a love/hate relationship going on there.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks for the replies regarding Lautrec, guys. I also wonder who his two companions were when you invaded his world...anyone get a good look at the armour they were wearing, maybe?

Edit: Looks like the caster is wearing a Crimson (Sealer's) Robe, and the spearman has generic knight armour on, neither of them with headgear.
I just picked up on that same thing. Very interesting that one of them has a Sealer's robe, since the idea is that there were three Sealers in New Londo and you find two of them in the game: Ingward and the corpse in Blighttown with the Remedy spell (not miracle, which is also interesting). So this is the third Sealer, then, or killed the Sealer and outfitted herself with it. I'm inclined to think it's actually one of the Sealers, since she's a spellcaster herself.

Man, the lore in this game is endless and never ceases to amaze me.

edit: the description says " two of the three forsook New Londo upon tiring of their duty", so Lautrec's Sealer could've went to the "dark side" for some reason, maybe as a consequence of the guilt of killing everyone in New Londo, specially with the Sealers being supposedly doctors or healers. They're white phantoms too, so I suppose they belong to the Way of the White covenant? I imagine that Princess Guard is unlikely since they're hunted by the Darkmoon covenant.

playing a fat character at qualaag.

I enter the room, she does the jumping vomit attack , it catches me, i then get stuck on her legs while rolling out of the lava, lava stuns me and i get aoe'd.

Twice in a row now.

i miss my Dex character. ;_;

I got the the DLC with a STR build in Ornstein's armor. I want to finish, but I went back to play NG+ with my dex character and had more fun getting back to the DLC.

willooi

I just picked up on that same thing. Very interesting that one of them has a Sealer's robe, since the idea is that there were three Sealers in New Londo and you find two of them in the game: Ingward and the corpse in Blighttown with the Remedy spell (not miracle, which is also interesting). So this is the third Sealer, then, or killed the Sealer and outfitted herself with it. I'm inclined to think it's actually one of the Sealers, since she's a spellcaster herself.

Man, the lore in this game is endless and never ceases to amaze me.

Wow, the plot thickens! The Wiki says that the Sealers were originally healers, so I really am thinking of advancing that 'resurrecting Fina with the Firekeeper Soul' theory and say that the caster was there to...revitalise the health of a mortal manifestation of her (??).

And as far as I'm aware, the Grass Crest shield held by the knight is unique and found on the corpse in Darkroot Basin, near the shortcut lifts to Valley of Drakes and the gated entrance of New Londo Ruins...but not sure what the significance of that is.

Knowing FROM, though, every little detail is surely there for a reason.

Ridley327

Wow, the plot thickens! The Wiki says that the Sealers were originally healers, so I really am thinking of advancing that 'resurrecting Fina with the Firekeeper Soul' theory and say that the caster was there to...revitalise the health of a mortal manifestation of her (??).

And as far as I'm aware, the Grass Crest shield held by the knight is unique and found on the corpse in Darkroot Basin, near the shortcut lifts to Valley of Drakes and the gated entrance of New Londo Ruins...but not sure what the significance of that is.

It's worth it to point out that the Knight Armor is found in the Basin by where you fight the Hydra. Two different corpses, sure, but possibly related all the same?

zkylon

zkylewd
I really wish there was a better compendium of story and lore tidbits.

ENB's series on lore is the best I could find, and it's actually pretty good, but I want MOAR: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4825DBA198EBE9B9

Why do you assume she's dead?

willooi

It's worth it to point out that the Knight Armor is found in the Basin by where you fight the Hydra. Two different corpses, sure, but possibly related all the same?

Ah indeed. Something else to think about.

Why do you assume she's dead?

Not so much that she's dead, but rather that she doesn't exist in physical form apart from the equipment she's given him. Lautrec seems like quite the outsider in Lordran - both in terms of his unique armour and the fact that Fina isn't related to Gwyn - who undertook an extended period of "solitude" for whatever reason, and the descriptions of his items coupled with his actions in the game hint (at least to me) towards a desire to reconnect or reunite with her somehow.

Travelling to Anor Londo, and particularly the Princess' Chamber despite his status of some kind of fugitive in these parts, just strike me as him wanting displace the giant, physical Gods in this land with that of his lover. It was all probably in vain, though, given that the entire place is essentially just a huge sham.

This is completely unrelated and a stretch, for sure, but the Talisman of Beasts in Demon's Souls came with the revelation that
"The symbol of God was nothing more than the Image of the Old One"
, and that's the sort of tragic vibe I'm getting with Fina in that the Gods of Anor Londo are just illusions, and that all that devotion was for naught, really.

Ridley327

Ah indeed. Something else to think about.

I can think of at least one humorous scenario that could explain that:

::knight fights the Hydra, gets stomped::
::adventurer comes by and notices corpse by lake and makes a break for it; only has enough time to grab the shield, which gives him the unexpected benefit of faster stamina recovery::
"I am invincible!" he proclaims, running past the Hydra's water projectiles and crystal golems, en route to safety
::forgets about the black knight, gets backed into the corner and has all sorts of horrible things happen to him before he dies::

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish Lautrec's story was longer, we really don't get much to go on from the little we have.
I really can see him killing Firekeepers to restore his goddess to Anor Londo, but it feels like really thinly grounded. And maybe Fina's a Firekeeper herself and he's looking for whoever took her soul?

willooi

I can think of at least one humorous scenario that could explain that:

::knight fights the Hydra, gets stomped::
::adventurer comes by and notices corpse by lake and makes a break for it; only has enough time to grab the shield, which gives him the unexpected benefit of faster stamina recovery::
"I am invincible!" he proclaims, running past the Hydra's water projectiles and crystal golems, en route to safety
::forgets about the black knight, gets backed into the corner and has all sorts of horrible things happen to him before he dies::

Nice one!

"With this stamina recovery shield, this black knight will be a piece of cake!"

Doesn't realise shield only has 95% physical resistance, halberd power strike breaks through guard, adventurer gets staggered, the end =p

willooi

I wish Lautrec's story was longer, we really don't get much to go on from the little we have.
I really can see him killing Firekeepers to restore his goddess to Anor Londo, but it feels like really thinly grounded. And maybe Fina's a Firekeeper herself and he's looking for whoever took her soul?

I like that! And seeing how before you even get to Lautrec in the first place you need to take out the huge heavy knight guarding the firekeeper soul in Undead Parish, in front of a statue of a mystery woman no less, could that have been hers?

The Chosen Undead, foolishly wandering into the church and pretty much just causing havoc - releasing criminals and stealing people's souls - then takes it back to Anastacia, who Lautrec then pursues. Hmm...

Sure doesn't help though that Anastacia has next to no backstory and remains a complete mystery.

zkylon

zkylewd
I like that! And seeing how before you even get to Lautrec in the first place you need to take out the huge heavy knight guarding the firekeeper soul in Undead Parish, in front of a statue of a mystery woman no less, could that have been hers?

The Chosen Undead, foolishly wandering into the church and pretty much just causing havoc - releasing criminals and stealing people's souls - then takes it back to Anastacia, who Lautrec then pursues. Hmm...

Sure doesn't help though that Anastacia has next to no backstory and remains a complete mystery.
Yeah, though I expect Fina would be of Carim, so what is her body doing there? It seems like a weird place for her to be, too. I'd be more comfortable assuming Lautrec killed that Firekeeper but didn't manage to grab her soul before getting jailed, and the Berenike Knight and the Channeler are guarding it. I always thought the Channeler being there was pretty weird, as was the one in the Depths. Those guys work for Seath, what's their business with the Depths and the Undead Parish? Maybe Seath wants something with the Firekeepers and sends his Channelers to catch them? We know he caught one, since there's a Firekeeper's Soul in the cell with BHL, but I dunno.

Pulling stuff from out of my ass, but Dark Souls makes that so much fun to do...

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Anastacia was presumably a maiden of the Way of White who became a Fire Keeper. The sulky dude at Firelink tells you that her tongue was cut out so that she couldn't profane the gods, and the description of the leg armor implies that she was maimed to prevent her escape. She seems to hate being a Fire Keeper and wants you to
succeed Gwyn to end the undead curse so that she can die as a human.

Bit of a Debbie Downer, that girl.

Yeah, though I expect Fina would be of Carim, so what is her body doing there? It seems like a weird place for her to be, too. I'd be more comfortable assuming Lautrec killed that Firekeeper but didn't manage to grab her soul before getting jailed, and the Berenike Knight and the Channeler are guarding it. I always thought the Channeler being there was pretty weird, as was the one in the Depths. Those guys work for Seath, what's their business with the Depths and the Undead Parish? Maybe Seath wants something with the Firekeepers and sends his Channelers to catch them? We know he caught one, since there's a Firekeeper's Soul in the cell with BHL, but I dunno.

Pulling stuff from out of my ass, but Dark Souls makes that so much fun to do...

The Channelers roam Lordran collecting maidens for Seath's experiments. The presence of the one in the Parish makes a lot of sense since
if you let Rhea get taken to the Duke's Archive that's where she gets kidnapped from.

willooi

Anastacia was presumably a maiden of the Way of White who became a Fire Keeper. The sulky dude at Firelink tells you that her tongue was cut out so that she couldn't profane the gods, and the description of the leg armor implies that she was maimed to prevent her escape. She seems to hate being a Fire Keeper and wants you to
succeed Gwyn to end the undead curse so that she can die as a human.

Bit of a Debbie Downer, that girl.

Thanks for that, I hadn't read up on the description for the skirt. Brutal. Any guesses as to who would've done that to her? Petrus? Gwyn himself? Bloody hell that Way of White covenant is filled with such muddy morality, all these firekeeper women are miserable.

And just with that description:

It is thought to have once been the white skirt of a maiden, but its true origin is lost in patches of blood.

The localisation team have done such an outstanding job with the in-game text (link to a great EDGE interview if anyone missed it).

zkylon

zkylewd
Was trying to remember how to get the Very Large Ember and looked up this video and it shows a crazy good shortcut to get to the 4 Kings. OMG I WISH I KNEW THIS BEFORE

On topic, seems like Anastasia had enough of Firekeeping and wanted out, so Gwyn and co. crushed her legs, cut off her tong and imprisoned her below the bonfire she had to keep?

On Lautrec, I've just talked to Patches and he says
" [Lautrec] wouldn't think twice about cutting somebody down. So watch out for him, especially if you've humanity to spare.". Sounds like he doesn't really target Firekeepers themselves, just humanity, and Firekeeper Souls are just a lot of humanity bundled together, so that's why he kills Anastacia.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Was trying to remember how to get the Very Large Ember and looked up this video and it shows a crazy good shortcut to get to the 4 Kings. OMG I WISH I KNEW THIS BEFORE

Oh man I totally figured this one out on my own before! That feels awesome. Just gotta make sure you keep your eyes out for any extra ghosts you kited though.

NBtoaster

I'm thankful they've decreased the agro radius of the enemies in New Londo by a lot since launch.You don't get anywhere near as much trouble after dropping down.

willooi

On topic, seems like Anastasia had enough of Firekeeping and wanted out, so Gwyn and co. crushed her legs, cut off her tong and imprisoned her below the bonfire she had to keep?

On Lautrec, I've just talked to Patches and he says
" [Lautrec] wouldn't think twice about cutting somebody down. So watch out for him, especially if you've humanity to spare.". Sounds like he doesn't really target Firekeepers themselves, just humanity, and Firekeeper Souls are just a lot of humanity bundled together, so that's why he kills Anastacia.

If Solaire really is Gwyn's firstborn, glad he turned out to be a likeable bloke. The rest of them seem like a bunch of ....

Re: Lautrec, cool, thanks for that. As to what he plans to do with all that humanity, I might try and come up with some more lore theories later on =)

On another note, came across this Forest Trolling video last night. I love that collection of pretty, sparkling prism stones to attract invaders to the edge of that cliff. Genius!

For some reason it makes me want to invade other players, kill them, and then drop a few Dung Pies as mementos for when they go back to collect their bloodstains...

zkylon

zkylewd
Good day for me today. Apparently, the Undead Parish bonfire now decided to work, so that's pretty great, and I beat Nito and the Garden Guardian. Nito was ridiculously easy, and the Guardian took me a few tries, mostly because I was trying to cut off its tail.

So it's Seath, Bed of Chaos, DLC, and I'm through NG+. Still gotta do a couple more playthroughs if I want to get all the cheevos.

Ridley327

Thanks for that, I hadn't read up on the description for the skirt. Brutal. Any guesses as to who would've done that to her? Petrus? Gwyn himself? Bloody hell that Way of White covenant is filled with such muddy morality, all these firekeeper women are miserable.

And just with that description:

The localisation team have done such an outstanding job with the in-game text (link to a great EDGE interview if anyone missed it).

Frognation asks developers to be open-handed, and allow for creative licence as opposed to pushing for a strictly literal translation. Given how dear the Souls games are to you do you struggle with ceding that control?
HM I have these ideas that are very dear to me, but I don’t feel like projecting them onto a game would necessarily even be the most ideal way to present them. The creation of a game is a collaborative effort, so not only do I appreciate the input of Frognation, but also the programmers and designers that work on the game. One of the things I enjoy most about making games is seeing how it will all come out after everybody’s had their input. I really enjoy the process of having the English come back and seeing how it turned out and what parts were decorated in certain ways. There are even cases where the localised draft would come back and I’d adjust the Japanese script to reflect the parts that I feel are effective in English. So there are things that are core to me, but it’s not the goal to keep some sort of purity once the game is completely finished.

Oh my god, another Japanese dev that seeks to improve localizations for Western audiences, rather than forcing the Japanese-ness to make shit painful for everyone. That makes him, like, the fourth one.

UrbanRats

Well ofcourse a translation has to take up on the intention and the meaning, rather than a literal translation, though if the adaptation takes place to "adapt" elements of the characters or the story to another culture, then i'm not really ok with it.
For example if elements such as sexism (or whatever, really) are present in the original script because of the different culture, i don't want them changed just to appease to mine, i like to experience foreign stuff as unfiltered as i can.

Again, if those liberties are to better channel the original vision in a new language, then by all means do it, though.

UrbanRats

My favorite DkS characters would be:

Laurentius > Sieglinde > GiantBlacksmith > André > Hawkeye Gough > Siegmeyer > Solaire > rest of the bunch in no specific order.

Grief.exe

I always use that one now. What shortcut were you using?

There's a cool one where you ride the lift down from dark root basin, run through the drakes in valley of the drakes, make a hard jump over this mound of bodies in new Londo, and then run through to 4 kings.

I used to use this one. The problem is if you miss the jump over the mound of bodies, you have drakes and a dark wraith chasing you and have to deal with them.
I figure its probably faster to go the other way from firelink. If you miss that first jump, than its going to he slower.

There's a cool one where you ride the lift down from dark root basin, run through the drakes in valley of the drakes, make a hard jump over this mound of bodies in new Londo, and then run through to 4 kings.

I used to use this one. The problem is if you miss the jump over the mound of bodies, you have drakes and a dark wraith chasing you and have to deal with them.
I figure its probably faster to go the other way from firelink. If you miss that first jump, than its going to he slower.

I'd like to see that shortcut! I usually come from Valley of the Drakes myself, but that was before I realized you can drop off a ledge by the 'ghost house' that Ingward stands on, and enter the fog gate there. I came from Firelink this time.

Always remembering to send the lift back up, is a nice time saver too.

Ridley327

Well ofcourse a translation has to take up on the intention and the meaning, rather than a literal translation, though if the adaptation takes place to "adapt" elements of the characters or the story to another culture, then i'm not really ok with it.
For example if elements such as sexism (or whatever, really) are present in the original script because of the different culture, i don't want them changed just to appease to mine, i like to experience foreign stuff as unfiltered as i can.

Again, if those liberties are to better channel the original vision in a new language, then by all means do it, though.

That's a big reason why Nier had such a great localization; the guys over at Cavia gave 8-4 free reign on changing stuff around, and it was all the better for it. Suda 51 has also practiced this policy for a long time now, as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Continuing to experiment with Dark Souls image quality, I decided to render some shots at 3240p (9x as many pixels as 1080p).

Album:http://minus.com/mOjmcxDmeqA9A

Here's an example shot.

And just as an interesting note, I rendered the image at both console resolution, and 3240p to compare the details lost when rendering at the default resolution.

I recommend you open them both in different tabs, zoom in, and switch tabs to look at the differences.

1024x720: http://i.minus.com/iba5FZ29ZqDRdz.png

5760x3240: http://i.minus.com/iDTrnY5MXY4tt.png

At default res, you can't notice the etching in the chest plate at all, and the skirt at the bottom looks like it's cloth while at high res you can see that it's actually chain mail. There's a ton of detail in the sword as well that's completely hidden. This game can really look quite stunning.

zkylon

zkylewd

I just ran there from Firelink Shrine taking the elevator in New Londo and killing three or four darkwraiths in the way. This would save me two darkwraiths and a ghost, plus a lot of walking/waiting for the elevator.

My favorite DkS characters would be:

Laurentius > Sieglinde > GiantBlacksmith > André > Hawkeye Gough > Siegmeyer > Solaire > rest of the bunch in no specific order.
Hmm, bound to change but: My Fair Lady > Solaire > Ziggy > Gwynevere > Andre > The Anor Londo Firekeeper > Lautrec > Patches > Oswald.

kinggroin

Banned
What.

O&S is one of the best boss fights this gen. Hell, I have like 6 saves abandoned in the princess chamber, cause I know the rest of the game cannot top it.

The smartest and rightest man in the world.

No boss fight prior or after comes near the genius and beauty of this fight. Everything you've learned in this game in regards to combat techniques, culminates here. And hell if it isn't taking place against the most epic nerdgasm enducing theme this generation.

Maaaybe Gwyn comes close as far as needing to be on your weapon mastery A game.

Don't really use pyro much so I don't know, but do the bellowing ring and dusk crown etc boost pyro as well as sorcery?

Recently started using power within to rip through bosses like hot butter and realised I can probably boost it even more.

ElFly

Maaaybe Gwyn comes close as far as needing to be on your weapon mastery A game.

Gwyn is cool in that you can either use a similar strategy than with four kings, or you can go with the parry route.

I am not that good with the parries. so I generally Iron Flesh him.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
On my first new game +, I've been moping the floor with all bosses so far. Just finished ringing the second bell.

My lighting Zweinhander is just ridiculous.

Just beat Manus with the help of Sif on my first ever try. Took 13 charges of Estus, but it wasn't really hard since he telegraphs his attacks a lot. Actually had way more trouble with the Artorias battle, which took me at least 5 tries.

Only Gwyn left now.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's a big reason why Nier had such a great localization; the guys over at Cavia gave 8-4 free reign on changing stuff around, and it was all the better for it.
Didn't know this, but it tells. Nier is fantastic.

Anyways, made more progress today, got Artorias and Seath down. Artorias wasn't too hard, took me only two tries but it was pretty great anyways. I also killed
his girlfriend :3
. Seath was easier still, just stacked curse resist and hacked through him. I made the mistake of thinking I could run past the Oysters so they too decided to join in, crazyness ensued and it made for a very interesting start of the fight. Fortunately Seath took care of them for me, but for a second I was really scared of having to do the effing Crystal Cave again.

A6938C382CBD66A9870CCDDD8D2E487962890382

lol

god the name MAN-CLAMS makes me lol

anyway, I finally was happy enough with my build post O&S that I stuck with it instead of rerolling! downed the four kings for the first time last night, next up is demon ruins and lost izalith. honestly it was tfk which frustrated me enough to reroll, I never seemed to have enough dps to get them down before the fight became unmanageable. this time I made sure I got the crystal versions of logan's spells and they were cake.

according to steam I've played for 240 hours already...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait why are the clams inside the seath room???

zkylon

zkylewd
god the name MAN-CLAMS makes me lol

anyway, I finally was happy enough with my build post O&S that I stuck with it instead of rerolling! downed the four kings for the first time last night, next up is demon ruins and lost izalith. honestly it was tfk which frustrated me enough to reroll, I never seemed to have enough dps to get them down before the fight became unmanageable. this time I made sure I got the crystal versions of logan's spells and they were cake.

according to steam I've played for 240 hours already...
240, wow. I'm at 140 right now, not even close to New Vegas, but just passed Mount & Blade and it sits at the number four spot, almost about to beat Rusty Hearts (lol).

Wait why are the clams inside the seath room???
What jim-jam said. It got pretty hectic for a second, so if anyone wants some extra challenge, clams it is :)

Seath is still really easy, since he almost always allows you to heal and his moveset isn't too hard to dodge.

----

I just realized the image quality on that pic is terrible. I shouldn't play in windowed mode, but by now I'm not as "immersed" as I was on the first playthrough (by the way, Nier's soundtrack makes a great companion for Dark Souls NG+).

Top Bottom