• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

HdBGu.jpg

undead parish

Tomb of giants is pure evil :(. Can't see shit.

Edit: I've a lantern, just realised. Damnit!

Yeah, I finally beat that area tonight. Yesterday I just wasn't in the mood for the frustration, but I'm glad FROM had the audacity to make a level like that. In recent memory, I can't recall a level of a game that will test your patience like TOG.

For those of you who have beat the game, when is it a good time to tackle the additional content on the DLC. I went there right after beating Nito afraid that I might be too overleveled... and boy was I wrong.

Anyone else have catastrophic framerate drops in front of Quelaag's boss door and right inside her room? The screen literally froze for a few seconds and the game booted me out to the menu and kicked me offline. The rest of Blighttown ran at 28-30FPS and I haven't had any significant drops anywhere else.

Raide

Did some good adventuring in Blighttown but managed to get utterly lost when I got right to the top Fire. Died shortly after and spent about 2 hours trying to figure out how to get down. :D

SJRB

Gold Member
I need to look into a solid pvp setup for my character. As of yet it is 100% pve-oriented but it's getting harder and harder to ignore the pvp aspect.

The guilty pay the price.

ParityBit

So why didnt you stay hollow?

I did. But I went human to kindle. IMmeditaly got invaded. But got the kindle. Then I stayed Hallow.

So .... I have my starting armor (Pyro), Leather, black leather and balders. Which would be the best to upgrade? I upgraded my pyro but I figured something new would be nice. Or do I stick with this for a while longer?

And just got some knights armor

Aguirre

Why don't you go to the forest to punish these gankers instead of ruining players games who just started playing?

yeah, was thinking this. i myself have experienced getting killed over and over (maybe from this guy??!) at the start of the game from phantoms and it really sucks. im the opposite, i try to help as much people as possible.

SJRB

Gold Member
I did. But I went human to kindle. IMmeditaly got invaded. But got the kindle. Then I stayed Hallow.

So .... I have my starting armor (Pyro), Leather, black leather and balders. Which would be the best to upgrade? I upgraded my pyro but I figured something new would be nice. Or do I stick with this for a while longer?

And just got some knights armor

Armor is a very personal thing. The most suitable armor is totally dependant on your playstyle, what weapons you're using, what your stats are.

In the end a lot of armor sets are "good", but as always the higher the defensive stats, the heavier they are. It's all about balancing it out and upgrading accordingly.

maomaoIYP

Why don't you go to the forest to punish these gankers instead of ruining players games who just started playing?

Exactly. Where's the satisfaction in bullying players who don't stand a chance against you? Punishing gankers is infinitely more satisfying. And when they send you hate messages after you beat their 2:1 situation, you know you've succeeded.

ParityBit

Armor is a very personal thing. The most suitable armor is totally dependant on your playstyle, what weapons you're using, what your stats are.

In the end a lot of armor sets are "good", but as always the higher the defensive stats, the heavier they are. It's all about balancing it out and upgrading accordingly.

Well, Wearing the knights armor, plus some ring I got I am at 35.4/100.5 so I am under weight. I was planning on carrying around my pyro stuff in case I need more resistance. Seems like this armor does not resist as well :(

It just takes a while to grind shards to upgrade stuff, so I can't really "try" various types...

Man, I'm really loving this game. Took me awhile before it really clicked, but now I can't put it down. I've played about 30 hours and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Also, I'm a complete noob and have no idea how to do half the things in the game, but I love it regardless.

ParityBit

Man, I'm really loving this game. Took me awhile before it really clicked, but now I can't put it down. I've played about 30 hours and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Also, I'm a complete noob and have no idea how to do half the things in the game, but I love it regardless.

Me too! I am a pyro with knight armor and a katana. I don't really know what I am doing. I just upgrade everything I think I may use .... working on my armor right now. I got sick of seeing tattered robes :(

krakov

Well, Wearing the knights armor, plus some ring I got I am at 35.4/100.5 so I am under weight. I was planning on carrying around my pyro stuff in case I need more resistance. Seems like this armor does not resist as well :(

It just takes a while to grind shards to upgrade stuff, so I can't really "try" various types...

Resistances are pretty useless honestly. The stats you should be worrying about are the defensive ones and poise, which the knight armor has for example. It will let you take hits without getting staggered which is very useful.

Just took down the
Gaping Dragon
and earlier I went into the
Darkroot Basin
and got a Black Knight Halberd from the Black Knight down there.

I'm definitely addicted right now, I just hope it isn't 300 hours addicted like with Fallout: New Vegas.

ParityBit

Resistances are pretty useless honestly. The stats you should be worrying about are the defensive ones and poise, which the knight armor has for example. It will let you take hits without getting staggered which is very useful.

I was keeping it for the place where there is a ton of posion (So I hear) .... Although I have not been there yet.

Just took down the
Gaping Dragon
and earlier I went into the
Darkroot Basin
and got a Black Knight Halberd from the Black Knight down there.

I'm definitely addicted right now, I just hope it isn't 300 hours addicted like with Fallout: New Vegas.

I have not gotten a single special drop from a knight :( Killed him and 2 others. No nothing....

Firebrand

Hmm, a bit frustrated at the moment. I had a look on the wiki and I could be wrong, but looks like I missed out on some rare story exposition by not having
either Frampt or Kaathe
in my game? I hope they fill in the missing details later, it's a bit odd that you can accidentally
place the Lordvessel before talking to either if you were "supposed" to pick a side. I still have no idea why am I doing anything at this point but I'm guessing the guy I want to kill is on the other side of that door in the shrine and somehow these Lord souls are required to open it? Then again, maybe not so different from the whole "ring bells because of reasons" in the early game so maybe I'm expecting too much, hehe.

I'm currently exploring the Archives and the crystal area beyond, so I'm assuming I'll find the missing ingredients there. Though, there was a third orange fog dissolving in a stone wall that I didn't recognize, I suspect it's the Catacombs area but didn't see one when I went down to kill Pinwheel. Will have to go back and make sure I didn't miss anything, I need to see the blacksmith anyway.

V-Gief

Exactly. Where's the satisfaction in bullying players who don't stand a chance against you? Punishing gankers is infinitely more satisfying. And when they send you hate messages after you beat their 2:1 situation, you know you've succeeded.
I invade every so often (lv8 at the moment at S&O), usually in Undead Parish, Sen's or Anor Londo to farm humanity/hoping to catch a soulduper or two for easy souls. Although it could be conceived as bullying, that is not my intent. It is simply a lot more fun than farming npcs :)

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't think Black Knights respawn, not 100% sure about that though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about the game will be able to give you a better answer.

There will be an area in the later parts of the game where Black Knights will respawn.

Hmm, a bit frustrated at the moment. I had a look on the wiki and I could be wrong, but looks like I missed out on some rare story exposition by not having
either Frampt or Kaathe
in my game? I hope they fill in the missing details later, it's a bit odd that you can accidentally
place the Lordvessel before talking to either if you were "supposed" to pick a side. I still have no idea why am I doing anything at this point but I'm guessing the guy I want to kill is on the other side of that door in the shrine and somehow these Lord souls are required to open it? Then again, maybe not so different from the whole "ring bells because of reasons" in the early game so maybe I'm expecting too much, hehe.

I'm currently exploring the Archives and the crystal area beyond, so I'm assuming I'll find the missing ingredients there. Though, there was a third orange fog dissolving in a stone wall that I didn't recognize, I suspect it's the Catacombs area but didn't see one when I went down to kill Pinwheel. Will have to go back and make sure I didn't miss anything, I need to see the blacksmith anyway.
While you do "pick a side" between the primordials it doesn't actually change your ending choices, it doesn't lock you into anything either way. You're just functionally giving up one or both of their uses, Frampt's being to "sell" items through eating and breaking down titanite, Kaathe allowing you into the Darkwraith covenant. Though the game makes it really easy to accidentally go with Frampt before even knowing there is a choice because talking to him after getting the Lordvessel will make him take you to the altar, whereas you need to kill one of the lord soul bosses and not have sided with Frampt yet in order to get to talk to Kaathe.

I wouldn't fret it either way, he wasn't going to bust out any meaningful exposition there anyway.

either Frampt or Kaathe

How did you manage that? Did you kill both of them?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to say that so far my favorite boss is Artorias. I had a big smile in my face when he killed me the first few times for some reason. My reaction was I finally meet the legend. He killed me probably 15 times. Weird thing is that I wasn't frustrated at all because he looks cool as fuck. When I finally beat him I yelled out loud "ARTORIAS!"

edit: Another question, can I have warp back to the non-DLC areas of the game? I haven't tried that.

Later parts .... well I guess I wont be there anytime soon. lol

Where is a good place to farm large titantite shards? Near that start areas anyways.
If you haven't gotten to the second bell yet you can get them as rare drops from the slimes in The Depths or regular drops from the giant leeches in Blighttown.

Firebrand

I wouldn't fret it either way, he wasn't going to bust out any meaningful exposition there anyway.
Cheers, I'll just keep on exploring forward then and youtube whatever I missed after I'm done.

How did you manage that? Did you kill both of them?

Frampt was asleep. I didn't know how to go about waking him without him turning hostile, so I thought I'd try a gentle bump by rolling into him, resulting in me falling down the pit and discovering the shrine. Down there the only thing I could do was to place the vessel (or use a homeward bone I guess) so I assumed that was I meant to do. And since I already placed the vessel by the time I got into the Abyss, Kaathe didn't appear either.

The curse slimes?!! Ugh. I have yet to go to blighttown. Should I try top head that way (whichever way that is?)
Blighttown is directly after Depths, so you'll be there soon enough. What are you trying to upgrade anyway? If it's not a weapon I wouldn't really bother with the farming as it is, you'll be able to buy them off a blacksmith you'll come across later.

ParityBit

Blighttown is directly after Depths, so you'll be there soon enough. What are you trying to upgrade anyway? If it's not a weapon I wouldn't really bother with the farming as it is, you'll be able to buy them off a blacksmith you'll come across later.

I was going to upgrade my armors and my Katana (The one from the undead guy when I killed him!)

I was keeping it for the place where there is a ton of posion (So I hear) .... Although I have not been there yet.

I have not gotten a single special drop from a knight :( Killed him and 2 others. No nothing....

Just killed my 3rd too and still havent gotten anything. I know your pain.

Raide

Phew! Sens down! The scale of Anor Londo is really amazing. With the DSfix setting, the damn place looking amazing. It is so empty, it feels a little worrying wandering around. :D

Firebrand

Will casting a temporary enchant spell on weapon and shield lower the bonus from str/dex similar to ascending a weapon to a Magic weapon?

Been thinking of doing something with that 9 int and get some spells, but maybe I'm better off just dropping those levels into strength instead (currently str 34, with end at 42-44 and vit at 30-35).

Sullichin

Will casting a temporary enchant spell on weapon and shield lower the bonus from str/dex similar to ascending a weapon to a Magic weapon?

Been thinking of doing something with that 9 int and get some spells, but maybe I'm better off just dropping those levels into strength instead (currently str 34, with end at 42-44 and vit at 30-35).

Nope. You'll still get the same str/dex scaling. I think you need 10 INT for magic weapon, 15 for great magic weapon and 30 for crystal magic weapon. Just depends on how much you want to invest in int/if you want to use other spells.

Top Bottom