• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

2AdEPT

A few days ago 2adept and I both made characters to rush Shiva/forest covenant and get the washing pole as soon as possible. I never knew until he told me that you can climb up the ladder in the darkroot basin without killing the hydra. So, unlocking shiva as a merchant can really be one of the first things you do in the game, and then you have a really nice selection of great weapons. When you know the game, there are so many ways to get strong weapons early on. Even if you're a new player it's worth trying out, if you don't mind suicide runs (I know you're not new to the game Red Liquorice, just saying in general :D)

For new players, here's a few ways to get really strong weapons early (2adept already mentioned some of these earlier in the thread):

this is an awesome post...I have long given up doing a real comprehensive job like this as I have done it a few times and if I could find my old posts I would cut and paste them....I just have trouble finding them through 4 threads.
1 shot at it. I didnt get diddly.

All i will remind is that for the black knight drops you can use either the durante fix saves or what I use, game save manager, to ensure you get the drops. After doing that washing pole run I tried getting the drops and failed on all but the sowrd...which I already used recently. So I started a new character I got the halberd and the greatsword and was prepared to use the game save manager to quickly reboot my save if it didn't drop each time...I only reloaded the first halberd knight when he didn;t drop (gave shield)...then the next round I got both the weapons in one swing with 5 humanity. I was prepared and backed up just prior to fighting both though...I suggest others do the same...starting over sucks if you don't need to.

For a Dex build, is it necessary to use a shield or to be parrying and riposting all the time? As in, are there play styles that will be forced upon you due to equipment selection based upon your stats?
Short answer is no...dex is more than adequate to enable you to find a style which allows you to two hand with no shield. Stun lock and bleed is enough.... No ripostes are necessary. If you wan tto be a lord in pvp though you may have to try a few strategies like darkmoon buff etc. A washing pole with minimum str to two hand and 40 dex with 30 faith for darkmoon or sunlight blade is mor ethan enough to lord...the 30 faith also gives you lightning bolts and emit force......you wan to to be a jedi lord in pvp ....this is more than adequte....it is hard ot have it all though...you may have to compromise you goal of having half a screen of healh and endurance with this build...but get good and you won;t need it.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Starting to feel like invading Sen's is the most efficient way to grind a ton of souls on PC. All dem hackers.

i0YON.jpg

ebOCr.jpg

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
But I already killed Teddy bear Nito, have I don' gufed?

Darkwraith is Kaathe, not Nito. But yeah, if you placed the lordvessel via Frampt then you can't join the darkwraiths unless you go via Kaathe in ng+.

God damn. So funny that they max out their SL but it doesn't really matter against someone who is actually good at the game

Eh, I'm not great at pvp or anything. I think a lot of the hackers I invade in Sen's are new to the game. I don't know how well it would go if I actually invaded a hacker who was more familiar with the game.

Roche

Eh, I'm not great at pvp or anything. I think a lot of the hackers I invade in Sen's are new to the game. I don't know how well it would go if I actually invaded a hacker who was more familiar with the game.

I don't get the point of hacking in DaS really, I mean much of the appeal of the a game lies in the challenge it provides. I understand that some people enjoy being assholes to invaders but even still that isn't nearly as satisfying as actually fighting a fair fight.

The game would be dull without difficulty.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I got killed by a Vagrant while doing PvP in the Burg, atop the Taurus Demon's tower. Had no idea it was there and it killed me with it's magic spikes (I was two handing). First one I've ever seen on PC.

chunk3rvd

After spending over 300 hours on the PS3 version I got a new laptop the other day and this was one of the first things I purchased for it. Enjoying it so far - playing Dark Souls on my lunch in work is quality

Only complaint so far is that the online isn't as good as the PS3 version. Still level 11 at the moment (pumped a few stats at the start for weapons) and just cleared out the Depths and been engaging in jolly co-operation but it seems like there are loads of invaders with OP gear like Havel's/Smough's armour and lightning weapons knocking round. Are most of these guys hackers? Bit disappointing if so :/ I also noticed a few hackers at the top of the book of the guilty. Does MS not ban any of these guys?

Definitely my strangest experience in DS online so far was 2 nights ago. Some guy (again, in OP gear) summoned me into the Undead Burg where he was battling 2 black phantom enemies. In all my time on PS3 I wasn't gravelorded once so I was a little surprised but I finished them off pretty quickly and we continued through the level. We reached 3 more BP enemies near the Black Knight and I polished them off in no time and the guy kicked me back to my own world. I just figured he was having a bit of trouble tackling them and felt happy that I'd helped someone out. I threw my summon sign back down and the same guy summons me near the bonfire again only all the BP's are back. This time there's 3 of them and despite a valiant one of them got the better of me. Just logged into the game today and I have a message off the guy linking me to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN9qV8S18NA - WHAT THE FUCK?

Is this normal behaviour in the PC version? Kind of honoured to finally make it into a Youtube DS vid but still confused as ever. Were these gravelord BP's or is this some other bizarre hack?

Sullichin

Haha no that's not normal. Those aren't even the BPs that show up when you are grave lorded there. That's pretty cool though

EDIT: on second thought they are the normal BP enemies, I got confused because they were all grouped together

KarmaCow

Tomb of Giants is some sadistic level shit. I've had brief moments where I just wanted to ragequit.

Giant Skeleton Archers and "Dogs" + pitch black darkness is very nerve wracking but I love it. There is nothing quite like inching forward, seeing two small dots in the darkness and hearing panting from something. It might be an issue for the game in general but going through that place after learning it is never approaches how good it is the first time not knowing anything. The mystery really hides how small the area is compared other places.

En-ou

I'm thinking of killing the Black Knight in the Burg for the Black Knight Sword but given that he does not respawn, how does this work? If he doesn't drop the sword, do I reset the console and do it again? Or would the autosave system mean that I've only got one shot at this?

on pc, save and quit before you engage him. backup that save file. load game and fight him, if he doesnt drop it then quit, replace your save file with the backup. rinse/repeat till he drops what you want.

elohel

Giant Skeleton Archers and "Dogs" + pitch black darkness is very nerve wracking but I love it. There is nothing quite like inching forward, seeing two small dots in the darkness and hearing panting from something. It might be an issue for the game in general but going through that place after learning it is never approaches how good it is the first time not knowing anything. The mystery really hides how small the area is compared other places.

love TOTG

top 3 best portions of the game

Czigga

love TOTG

top 3 best portions of the game

Yeah it's a good one. I played through almost all of it raging the entire time. Didn't know how to use the light thingy until right before the very end. It seemed huge to me and took me forever to beat.

It was pretty nerve-wracking going through the pitch black areas on my first run with melee lol

and then I made a magic alt and kept up homing soulmass. I think all the dogs died before I actually saw them at that point.

It was pretty nerve-wracking going through the pitch black areas on my first run with melee lol

and then I made a magic alt and kept up homing soulmass. I think all the dogs died before I actually saw them at that point.

I had much the same experience. First time was 100% melee with no light at all (after playing magic in Demon Souls). It wasn't pretty, but hence it was pretty awesome.

Homing soulmass is more like "hmm I wonder where they are off to?" - soul counter goes up.

ParityBit

I decided to go looking around for new armor for my pyro. I walked into the basin and found some hunter armor! But I don't think it will be any better than my starter gear ..... IS this true? Even if I upgrade it? I then preceded to get beat up a few times by a knight! Ugh.

V-Gief

Thanks but I'm on PS3.
I believe you can do something similar on PS3, albeit without the save backup. Kill the mob, loot anything that drops, if its the right drop, carry on. If it is the wrong one, just exit straight to xmb. Word of caution though: it might corrupt your save game.

If you have 10 active humanity it should almost guarantee you the drop. Drops don't seem that rare off the Black Knights. Or leave them be until you get
the gold serpent ring from Sen's

There's no difference, but only Andre can ascend weapons - Ascending is done when you give him the corresponding embers (found throughout the world).

You can upgrade to +5 with your weaponbox, once you find and give the large ember Andre he can ascend weapons to +6, then you or any blacksmith can take them to +10. Then the same with very large ember to +11, then you can take it to the max +15.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

You need 9 Titanite shards to take that BSS to +5. Drake Sword is kind of a trap weapon. Very early on it will beat many un-upgraded weapons, but once out of Undead Burg and the Parish you are going to start seeing it's not all that.

That graph is very helpful, thanks. So should I stop now at +5 for any weapons that I want to make divine/magical/fire?

Sullichin

That graph is very helpful, thanks. So should I stop now at +5 for any weapons that I want to make divine/magical/fire?

Divine - only good for the catacombs, and even then not necessary. Also, you can find an occult weapon later which you can downgrade to a divine weapon and use that.
Magic - Only good if you're invested in INT and even then it still kind of sucks.
Fire - fire and chaos weapons are good, but they remove all stat scaling. Recommended if you only meet the minimum requirements for the weapon. Still, it's a good way to get a strong weapon fairly early.
Lightning - same deal as fire. Removes scaling. I think it's nice to have a lightning weapon around because they're easy to make
+10 / + 15 - the best scaling, all physical damage, can be enchanted. The way to go most of the time.

Fire and Lightning weapons are good too because a lot of people don't resist them. Black Knight shield is very popular and that blocks Fire but other than that they're very useful.

I still think it's better to go with a +15.

I have been using Frampt as a bank for souls by feeding him all the Rubish I can afford.

I know that at a certain point of the game I wont be able to get them back, what is that point???

Is it after killing Bed of chaos???

Firebrand

I've just been sticking with physical upgrades (still rocking a +15 claymore, plus a +13ish great scythe because I just love how it handles) mostly because I can't readily see how the different branches and their upgrades compare, once I'm past the branching point. Similar thing with armors, I've found a bunch of newer sets but it's difficult to compare them to my old set that has some levels into it. Also it seems it won't even show some upgrades at the blacksmith unless I have the base weapon at the right level? I've been waiting to use all these boss souls for something and I assumed I just needed the right smith / ember. If go past +10 with a weapon, will the boss soul option still show?

If it's one thing I'd like to see in Dark Souls II it's them doing a better job of describing the game mechanics and what options you have without having to consult FAQs and wikis (and risk spoilers). Hell, I still have no good idea what Divine / Occult is, I understand the change in attribute bonuses, but not what the status effects are (like "100 divine" on the silver sword).

Speaking of Frampt, screw that guy.
The princess tells me to go talk to Frampt, Frampt calls me a "sorry fool" and disappears. Real helpful!

Sullichin

I disagree.!
I made some enchanted weapons for my last magic build and they rock! Lightning weapons aren't even close when you have 40 int or more.

True, of course I'll go with enchanted weapons when I have 40+ int. It doesn't compare to how good crescent weapons are in Demon's Souls though :(

I've just been sticking with physical upgrades (still rocking a +15 claymore, plus a +13ish great scythe because I just love how it handles) mostly because I don't can't readily see how the different branches and their upgrades compare, once I'm past the branching point. Similar thing with armors, I've found a bunch of newer sets but it's difficult to compare them to my old set that has some levels into it. Also it seems it won't even show some upgrades at the blacksmith unless I have the base weapon at the right level? I've been waiting to use all these boss souls for something and I assumed I just needed the right smith / ember. If go past +10 with a weapon, will the boss soul option still show?

If it's one thing I'd like to see in Dark Souls II it's them doing a better job of describing the game mechanics and what options you have without having to consult FAQs and wikis (and risk spoilers). Hell, I still have no good idea what Divine / Occult is, I understand the change in attribute bonuses, but not what the status effects are (like "100 divine" on the silver sword).

Speaking of Frampt, screw that guy.
The princess tells me to go talk to Frampt, Frampt calls me a "sorry fool" and disappears. Real helpful!

You can only make boss weapons at the blacksmith in Anor Londo. They will show up even if your weapon isn't +10 but you usually need +10 to actually make them.

Frampt
says that to you if you already visited kaathe or placed the lordvessel

KarmaCow

Dont I need divine weapons to kill skeletons? Or will I just find some eventually?

You don't need one. The necromancers are pretty out in the open and even if you can't find them, the skeletons get knocked out easily (if you're going there after getting the lordvessel-ish) and aren't densely packed.

I have been using Frampt as a bank for souls by feeding him all the Rubish I can afford.

I know that at a certain point of the game I wont be able to get them back, what is that point???

Is it after killing Bed of chaos???
You keep all your items (including ones in the BB) to NG+ except event-specific things like the Lord Vessel, embers and the lava ring.

Feeding something to Frampt is akin to selling them for souls, they're gone for good once he chomps them down, nom nom!

KarmaCow

About the ring of favor and protection, does it mean it will break if I equip it and remove it once or is it death? And how good is the ring?

It breaks once you remove it, you can die as many times as you want with it on.

As for how good it is, I don't think the flexibility of having a second slot is worth losing.

Soulhouf

True, of course I'll go with enchanted weapons when I have 40+ int. It doesn't compare to how good crescent weapons are in Demon's Souls though :(

That's even better with bows. An Enchanted Long Bow has S-scaling with int and since the scaling is applied to both the bow magic AR + the arrow magic AR, if you use it with Moonlight Arrows, it becomes very powerful.

cj_iwakura

Decimated Kalameet with two awesome(and persistent) helpers yesterday. Even got his tail!
(NG++.)

Is that R2 attack as awesome as it looks?

Dont I need divine weapons to kill skeletons? Or will I just find some eventually?

Eh. Giant Skeletons and the Giant Skeleton Dogs are the tough ones and they don't respawn. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble to find the Necromancers anyways.

The only time they might be problematic is the battle against Nito, and he'll almost always kill his own skeletons in every attack he makes. That way you can use a Fire weapon against him, since he's weak against it.

Decimated Kalameet with two awesome(and persistent) helpers yesterday. Even got his tail!
(NG++.)

Is that R2 attack as awesome as it looks?

Very strong but you can only use it a couple of times before having to repair it.

Akito

Well, geez, I mean, they don't respawn constantly like normal skeletons. You kill them once and they don't come back till you go to a bonfire.
Alright, I misunderstood that. But yeah, the fight against Nito might pose some trouble for new players without a divine weapon. You may not need one but it's definitely nice to have one.

Top Bottom