• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Yeah I saw that earlier about climbing the ladder before killing the Hydra but it never really sank in till now - that's a pretty swift way to get OP weapons without spending the 20,000 on the crest.

Yeah I saw that earlier about climbing the ladder before killing the Hydra but it never really sank in till now - that's a pretty swift way to get OP weapons without spending the 20,000 on the crest.

Thing is you need lots of souls to buy them... Which you could just use to get the crest and hence farm a shit load of souls.

Better from a role playing sense I suppose.

ParityBit

So I got the katana from the undead merchant, got it to +6. What is the option to make it "raw" ? I gave the blacksmith an ember I found ... but I dont know what the rest of this stuff is.

So I got the katana from the undead merchant, got it to +6. What is the option to make it "raw" ? I gave the blacksmith an ember I found ... but I dont know what the rest of this stuff is.

Raw weapons are a bit stronger but you give up stat scaling. So at low level you might go raw for extra damage and then convert to something else later on (say around 40 in a stat scaled to A or B level)

But I really don't think it is worth it at all unless you are really stuck for something to use.

ParityBit

Raw weapons are a bit stronger but you give up stat scaling. So at low level you might go raw for extra damage and then convert to something else later on (say around 40 in a stat scaled to A or B level)

But I really don't think it is worth it at all unless you are really stuck for something to use.

OK so I gave the ember, but I can only get to +6. IS there something else I need to get to +7 .. or more?

OK so I gave the ember, but I can only get to +6. IS there something else I need to get to +7 .. or more?

You start needing different materials after each ascension. 1-5 Normal is Titanite Shards, 6-10 Normal is Large Titanite Shards, 11-15 is Titanite Chunks + 1 Titanite Slab.

ParityBit

You start needing different materials after each ascension. 1-5 Normal is Titanite Shards, 6-10 Normal is Large Titanite Shards, 11-15 is Titanite Chunks + 1 Titanite Slab.

Oh I see. And how do you make magic type items? I farm too much, I'm not even far into the game probably. lol

Sullichin

Thing is you need lots of souls to buy them... Which you could just use to get the crest and hence farm a shit load of souls.

Better from a role playing sense I suppose.

20K to buy the crest of artorias and 20K to buy the washing pole, vs Just 20K to buy the washing pole. It's faster/cheaper to not use the shortcut. And depending on your starting class you won't really have to grind at all to get to the base requirements to 2H it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Where are you farming? I noticed the Darkwraiths in
the Andor Londo Ruins drop almost every time when I have humanity and the dragon ring equipped.

Same place, and I do have humanity and the covetous gold serpent ring. No luck so far. All I get are chunks.

I've managed to get 2 dark hands though, which is cool looking but they kinda suck.

zkylon

zkylewd
Same place, and I do have humanity and the covetous gold serpent ring. No luck so far. All I get are chunks.

I've managed to get 2 dark hands though, which is cool looking but they kinda suck.
Did you already get all the "story" related ones? Like from Sigmund's story and the demon back in the Asylum?

I just hate grinding in this game :p

Antiwhippy

I've got the stray demon. Don't have sigmund's yet though.

Also, is there any point in using divine weapons on the skeletons?

Antiwhippy

Do they though? Back when I'm on the PS3 they don't seem to get up with a normal weapon. Maybe I'm just misremembering.

If I kill them with a normal weapon how long does it take for them to revive?

zkylon

zkylewd
Do they though? Back when I'm on the PS3 they don't seem to get up with a normal weapon. Maybe I'm just misremembering.

If I kill them with a normal weapon how long does it take for them to revive?
If you kill the nearby necromancer they stop getting up too. The necromancers don't respawn, either, so once they're killed once, you don't have to worry about the skellies getting back up.

Ultrabum

I am trying to co op with a friend for fun, already played most of the game solo.

What are tips to deal with invaders? We can summon each other reliably, but everytime we get invaded they have super equipment with low soul level and we die, then have to farm humanity :(

Are there tactics we can use to beat them 2 v 1 or avoid them all together?

Thanks.

Quickest/easiest way to get a divine weapon for an early Catacombs run?
You get the Divine Ember from the Moonlight Butterfly, so you can do that from the start of landing in Firelink.

I wouldn't bother with a divine weapon though, unless you want to go through the whole of the Catacombs. Or do you just want to kill Pinwheel early? If the latter, it's easy to just run down there, use the shortcuts (youtube has examples, basically just drop off the ledge near the doorway with the second necromancer), summon Leeroy and homebone out when Pinwheel is dust.

chunk3rvd

Tbh I was also hoping to grab the Great Scythe, Darkmoon Seance Ring and TWOP (since this is my first ever faith build). I might just start with suicide runs to take out the necromancers and take it from there

I often do an early run like that just for Lucerne, it's certainly doable. The only stumbling block I'd say was the second Necromancer, he tends to run away so you have to be on point with dodging the 3 Skeletons in the room where he is and fast killing of him. If he runs further back you're going to have half a dozen skellies on your tail. Once he's dead it's just turning the first bridge and more running/dropping down.

Same thing happened to me in the Tomb of the Giants (fucking worst place for it to happen!).

Can be a real pain in the ass since they're so rare and likely to take you completely by surprise.

can top that story!

I was in anor londo at THE archers....so I begin my run up to the one on the right. I stop behind the initial cover at the split in the beam, at this point I'm running head down just to make it to archer on the right and kill him. All the sudden I notice I'm not advancing. I look and say "...what the hell is this?" It takes long enough to realize what it is, a vagrant and long enough for the next thing to happen of course is to cleaned out by arrows. soooooo troll, vagrant on narrow path to archers, couldnt get around it, and any delay gave archers the time to pick me off. classic dark souls multiplayer!!

6for8

I am trying to co op with a friend for fun, already played most of the game solo.

What are tips to deal with invaders? We can summon each other reliably, but everytime we get invaded they have super equipment with low soul level and we die, then have to farm humanity :(

Are there tactics we can use to beat them 2 v 1 or avoid them all together?

Thanks.

General advice like using the Gargoyle Halberd, Claymore or similar weapon and keeping your weight under 25%.

2vs1
Host concentrates on defence, don’t engage the invader. If the host is the target, keep rolling and let the coop partner take shots at them. If the invader is attacking the phantom, use your flask to heal them. Pepper the invader with throwing knives and fire bombs. The invader will run away when you get the upper hand so you both will need to chase it down and kill it.

Consider summoning a 3rd phantom. They will have the gear to remove the invader from your world. Use the black crystal to send the phantom home if it’s one of the clowns who runs ahead to clear the level.

95% of invaders will use the backstab exploit. When the invader doesn’t attack you and tries to get close, they are a backstabber. Use a large weapon like a halberd and don’t lock on. When the invader is close, start your swing and change its direction to your side or rear. This will often stun the invader and you can finish it off. If there is high lag, they will still warp behind you but the no lock on method usually kills 75% of the backstabbers.

For the fire surge gang, cast flashsweat and two-hand send them home.

If you want to continue cooping with your friend, stay low level. If you stay under 10 the final 80% of the game will be invader free.

Facism

had a guy invade me in the Duke's Archives so i did the old "afk by the bonfire" trick. Guy stood about for a minute seeing if i was going to move, then decided to come at me. As soon as he was in range, i smashed him with 2 heavy attacks with the manserpent greatsword and finished him lol.

Sullichin

I'm new. What do you recommend? Thief class and just got Astoras Sword through a suicide run.

Check my massive post a page or so back for some powerful weapons you can get early on

Astora's Straight Sword, the ASS sword if you will, is a good choice. It won't be so powerful later on though, but you should have a lot of weapons to choose from by then.

If you started as a thief to up your dexterity, good weapons for that are balder side sword, uchigatana, winged spear, washing pole, iaito, great scythe.. really there's tons of options, if you like a weapon's move set that is the most important thing. Just remember that most weapons are pretty shitty until you upgrade them

I often do an early run like that just for Lucerne, it's certainly doable. The only stumbling block I'd say was the second Necromancer, he tends to run away so you have to be on point with dodging the 3 Skeletons in the room where he is and fast killing of him. If he runs further back you're going to have half a dozen skellies on your tail. Once he's dead it's just turning the first bridge and more running/dropping down.

Just realized I never used the Lucerne...
had a guy invade me in the Duke's Archives so i did the old "afk by the bonfire" trick. Guy stood about for a minute seeing if i was going to move, then decided to come at me. As soon as he was in range, i smashed him with 2 heavy attacks with the manserpent greatsword and finished him lol.

Several times I've invaded in Painted World where the host was AFK. I toxic them with dung pies, then I run through the level and open all of the shortcuts for them. I'd like to think they come back from the bathroom or whatever confused as hell.

Sullichin

For a person who hadn't played Demon Souls which class is the most beginner friendly?

No class is going to give you a crazy advantage, but pyromancers start with the pyro flame and fireball which you can't normally get right away, which is nice. They are also level 1 so your first few level upgrades will cost less souls (the cost increases as you level up)

No class is going to give you a crazy advantage, but pyromancers start with the pyro flame and fireball which you can't normally get right away, which is nice. They are also level 1 so your first few level upgrades will cost less souls (the cost increases as you level up)

I wasn't looking for an advantage per se, but just a class that is going to allow me more flexibility in surviving and learning the mechanics before I get so frustrated I stop playing all together. I figured I'd start a Knight as having more defense and ability to cast healing spells would let me recover from stupid mistakes.

KarmaCow

It really doesn't matter outside of the tutorial area and a little bit after that. Healing spells and extra armour is nice, but honestly it's not that much of a crutch. Deaths don't usually come from a series of small hits over time, it's usually from full or near full health.

It really doesn't matter outside of the tutorial area and a little bit after that. Healing spells and extra armour is nice, but honestly it's not that much of a crutch. Deaths don't usually come from a series of small hits over time, it's usually from full or near full health.

Oh, well I'll see how it goes then. Also, if I die and then die again before I can recover my souls do I lose them all? Or can I go recover both "corpses"?

KarmaCow

Oh, well I'll see how it goes then. Also, if I die and then die again before I can recover my souls do I lose them all? Or can I go recover both "corpses"?

There will only be one blood stain active at a time so no, only the most recent one will be there.

And as long as you spend souls gained from beating bosses asap, it's not a big deal. It's fairly easy to build up souls just from beating enemies.

There will only be one blood stain active at a time so no, only the most recent one will be there.

And as long as you spend souls gained from beating bosses asap, it's not a big deal. It's fairly easy to build up souls just from beating enemies.

I was in the beginning level and had to fight those skeletons after the giant bird dropped me off. I was having trouble getting my amulet to work so I could damage the skellies and ended up dieing twice and now I've lost my souls. Probably isn't that much to worry about but its bugging me something awful.

I tried the Balder side sword out and while I love it's move set, especially the reach and speed on its right-click attack, it's still not better than the Drake sword that ohk's most opponents.

How should I go about upgrading the Balder Side Sword? I have all this.

17 Titanite shard
4 titanite chunk
2 twinkling titanite

But I'm also at a bonfire right next to a blacksmith. Ant difference between using him or upgrading this stuff myself?

ElyrionX

I'm thinking of killing the Black Knight in the Burg for the Black Knight Sword but given that he does not respawn, how does this work? If he doesn't drop the sword, do I reset the console and do it again? Or would the autosave system mean that I've only got one shot at this?

Antiwhippy

I tried the Balder side sword out and while I love it's move set, especially the reach and speed on its right-click attack, it's still not better than the Drake sword that ohk's most opponents.

17 Titanite shard
4 titanite chunk
2 twinkling titanite

But I'm also at a bonfire right next to a blacksmith. Ant difference between using him or upgrading this stuff myself?

You can upgrade but you can't ascend weapons, which means you can't convert them to, say, a fire weapon, or turn it to +6.

Yeah, at some point weapon buffs and stat buffs makes the drake sword useless.

I'm thinking of killing the Black Knight in the Burg for the Black Knight Sword but given that he does not respawn, how does this work? If he doesn't drop the sword, do I reset the console and do it again? Or would the autosave system mean that I've only got one shot at this?

1 shot at it. I didnt get diddly.

I was in the beginning level and had to fight those skeletons after the giant bird dropped me off. I was having trouble getting my amulet to work so I could damage the skellies and ended up dieing twice and now I've lost my souls. Probably isn't that much to worry about but its bugging me something awful.
The skeletons are kind of tough for now, there are a couple of other ways to go from Firelink Shrine. The general "first area" is Undead Burg which is by way of the viaduct you can see upwards in the other direction from the Firelink bonfire.

Don't worry, this is a very common "mistake" - I didn't even see the viaduct when I first started playing, I thought the skeletons were the first enemies and this was how hardcore Dark Souls was going to be!

17 Titanite shard
4 titanite chunk
2 twinkling titanite

There's no difference, but only Andre can ascend weapons - Ascending is done when you give him the corresponding embers (found throughout the world).

You can upgrade to +5 with your weaponbox, once you find and give the large ember Andre he can ascend weapons to +6, then you or any blacksmith can take them to +10. Then the same with very large ember to +11, then you can take it to the max +15.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

You need 9 Titanite shards to take that BSS to +5. Drake Sword is kind of a trap weapon. Very early on it will beat many un-upgraded weapons, but once out of Undead Burg and the Parish you are going to start seeing it's not all that.

ElyrionX

For a Dex build, is it necessary to use a shield or to be parrying and riposting all the time? As in, are there play styles that will be forced upon you due to equipment selection based upon your stats?

Top Bottom