• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

J-Roderton

How in the world did they fit in so many incredibly awesome enemy designs in this game? Seriously, I'm excited each time I reach a new area to find out what kind of crazy enemies I'll be fighting. It's also fascinating because they obviously put a lot of work into each one, and yet some enemies are only found in one place in the entire game.

Amazing game. Took awhile for it to click with me, but now I can't put it down.

Mushroom people are hilarious. The big ones will kick your ass, though. Seriously.

Hellcrow

Good god this game is stressfull. And is it designed that I have to look up on all the features online?

Never found a more reassuring message then "bonfire ahead".

Badgerst3

efforted through first playthrough at 160 hours+.

Damn I suck. Started ng+ to get to the DLC but just cant do it. Stuck in the depths with hours to go just to get to the DLC starting point.

Love the series and cant wait for DS2, just cant slog through more infuriating deaths to get to the DLC.

Should have done a playthrough 1 seperate save. Oh well- I imported DS1 from Korea so I feel like I hit the first game while in "cult status".

Zaventem

You don't have to look up the features online.Playing Dark Souls for the first time with so little info out was amazing.The guide books got delayed a so either you waited week+ to play it or go right in.I mean you could look at the japanese playthroughs but they didn't even discover the area hidden area in blighttown( the name escapes me) and people didn't even know gwyn could be parried.

bj00rn_

Banned
Human form is balanced by the idea that you can get invaded. You can summon 2 people to help you. The phantoms built for co-op are just as beastly as those specced for invasions. I suppose if you wish to disable invasions you still want the ability to summon phantoms?
Other than that there's nothing you can't do while hollow. You can always kindle a bonfire and then suicide - killing yourself on purpose is a trademark of the series.
Making invasions optional would ruin the game for people who want to invade, in the same way that adding an easy mode would ruin the game - it would split up the playerbase. This isn't Call of Duty, there's not 200k people playing at any given time. When invading, the game tries to find someone in the same spot of the game as you, who hasn't beaten the boss, is in human form, and near your level, spreading out from there. It would be very unlike this game to have an "invasions off" switch... they're called invasions for a reason. Maybe the next game will have a covenant or something that will minimize it, but even then I hope not. If anything I hope for a covenant that allows me to get invaded after I've beaten the boss. It's so easy to not get invaded now by just killing yourself and becoming hollow that I don't see any reason for that mechanic to change.

Isn't it a bit snobberish to try to prevent other people to experience the game to its fullest as a SP game "just because"..? With an opt out of invasions and other options there is no sacrifises having to be made to the game. I pull my plug (and I'm not the only one. .) when I play anyway, so why the hell not. I started out playing all the Kings Field games many years ago, imported them from japan even. I loved the games for its atmosphere and grinning almost unforgiving gameplay. That's what i want from "Souls", and that's what I got. I'm an old true fan, I'm the target group. So why the hell did they, to me, wrap it into an, to me, asinine pointless, to me, distracting online mode without making it optional. .

maomaoIYP

Isn't it a bit snobberish to try to prevent other people to experience the game to its fullest as a SP game "just because"..? With an opt out of invasions and other options there is no sacrifises having to be made to the game. I pull my plug (and I'm not the only one. .) when I play anyway, so why the hell not. I started out playing all the Kings Field games many years ago, imported them from japan even. I loved the games for its atmosphere and grinning almost unforgiving gameplay. That's what i want from "Souls", and that's what I got. I'm an old true fan, I'm the target group. So why the hell did they, to me, wrap it into an, to me, asinine pointless, to me, distracting online mode without making it optional. .

It is optional, just play offline. I don't see what's the problem. As a true old fan of Kings Field there should be no problem playing solo isn't it? The PvE is hardly balanced as it is for coop.

Soulhouf

I really want them to make a new King's Field/Shadow Tower with the same difficulty and unforgiving gameplay as the old ones but also I want them to continue the Souls formula because it works so well IMO.

With that said, making online optional is pointless to me. When you do something, you do it right. I don't want the game to be split because of the optional online. It's already bad when you try to invade and it fails every time.
Here is a good example: they added an arena with matchmaking in the PTDE and it didn't work. That alone is bad IMO and today nobody is using it because it was a bad idea. At first it split the online and split the players levels.
The strong point of Dark Souls online is that it's well integrated into the core game.

I wish for the next game they punish people who disconnect when they get invaded like being cursed or something. You know, when you get invaded, it's not the end of the world, if you die, it's a normal death and you don't lose anything to the invader.
Like you, I used to hate invaders, but I got used to it and now I enjoy it because it's well thought.

I hope they improve whips in the next game if they keep them. I just picked up the one in Blighttown for the first time in ages and wanted to use it, but it's pretty useless unless I'm missing something. A nice choke animation similar to the hollow thieves in lower Undead Burg would be great for a ripost, and maybe some sort of tripping up ability?

Sullichin

No I don't think I'm being "snobberish" whatever that means, FROM obviously intended it to be this way, I just happen to agree with how it currently works and you want to change it. You're preventing yourself from experiencing the full game by pulling the plug, missing out on invasions but also ghosts, messages, vagrants, co-op...things this game is famous for. If you don't want to get invaded, you can just go hollow. It sounds like exactly what you want, but you don't need to disconnect the plug. So why not just do that? I've done playthroughs of this game without getting invaded and I didn't disconnect my internet to do it. Being able to opt out of invasions would make it harder for people to invade, like I said you have to be in the same area, the host has to be human, the host has to be around the same level or higher than the invader, and the boss has to be alive in the host's world. I don't think there should be another condition added to that list. Like Soulhouf said, sometimes it takes a long time to invade already.

oracrest

I finally got my platinum this weekend.

Now I guess I will have to start challenge runs to keep on enjoying it...

4DA69E4C-696B-40F6-85B6-C82411978747-51107-00000E84E98B4590-2.jpg

I also encountered the queen of Khezu whelps.

44CE766F-5769-4C9C-AA5E-38BE3AF9238C-2467-000000A85C8A5294.jpg

Beat Manus by myself - no Sif - on the first go. I used Havel Armour, Crest Shield +5 and Uchigatana +15. It was also a nice surprise to go back to the beginning of the DLC and have to fight TWO sanctuary guardians at the same time.

I think I'm just about done this playthrough. All there is left to do is kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin (meh) and Gwyn himself. Don't know if I want to go NG+ with this character. May just keep it the way it is for the odd invasion.

Ah fuck you just spoiled me the 2 sanctuary guardians part, oh well, thats what I get for reading this board lol.

Just had a happy little 'glitch' when killing Shiva in Blighttown. I killed him, picked up his loot and just as I was bashing his invisible mate, but hadn't killed him, I got summoned. When I got back to my world Shivas items were on the ground again, except the humanity, so I got two of his shield and sword!

SJRB

Gold Member
Never really bothered with pvp, but I joined the Darkmoon Covenant and invaded a couple of sinners. Sen's Fortress is an awesome place to invade, people get nervous and make mistakes.

The guilty pay the price.

It is unfortunate that victory doesn't reward humanity.

Never really bothered with pvp, but I joined the Darkmoon Covenant and invaded a couple of sinners. Sen's Fortress is an awesome place to invade, people get nervous and make mistakes.

That stone never works for me :(, so sad, I have tried so many times and it doesnt connect me to anyone, what level are you on, I really want to punish the guilty.

I always try in ANor Londo BTW.

oracrest

Nice! I'll watch any challenge run you do, I love your barbarian DeS run. For those who haven't seen it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7yGUTnFhfA

Aww, thanks man! :D

When I did those originally, I had no idea that other players out there would do these kinds of challenge runs. Now there are whole "OneBros" communities of people that are playing through Dark Souls without leveling up. (Not to take any credit for this. I think it's only a reaction by fans to a greatly designed fighting system to do runs like these, and I know other players were doing them at the same time and surely before mine.)

The barbarian run was an even greater challenge than a normal SL1 playthrough, but there's something that sounds great about saying "soul Level 1" playthrough.

Other players have raised the bar on challenges I think, like this guy who does SL1, fist only weapons battles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuXkSTNtg-c

I haven't given much thought to what kind of challenge run would be difficult, but also new and interesting (whip barbarian maybe?) Any ideas?

I really want them to make a new King's Field/Shadow Tower with the same difficulty and unforgiving gameplay as the old ones but also I want them to continue the Souls formula because it works so well IMO.

With that said, making online optional is pointless to me. When you do something, you do it right. I don't want the game to be split because of the optional online. It's already bad when you try to invade and it fails every time.
Here is a good example: they added an arena with matchmaking in the PTDE and it didn't work. That alone is bad IMO and today nobody is using it because it was a bad idea. At first it split the online and split the players levels.
The strong point of Dark Souls online is that it's well integrated into the core game.

I wish for the next game they punish people who disconnect when they get invaded like being cursed or something. You know, when you get invaded, it's not the end of the world, if you die, it's a normal death and you don't lose anything to the invader.
Like you, I used to hate invaders, but I got used to it and now I enjoy it because it's well thought.

Agreed, I actually won against an invader last night, it was a first for me. But yeah, it's just like dying any other way. I purposely lured him near the bonfire so I wouldn't have to run far if I died heh.

I'm about 5-6 hours in, running around undead parish - had a quick question about Humanity, and I can't seem to find an answer I fully understand anywhere. Basically I notice the number in the upper left seems to increase on its own once in a while...highest I got it is to "02". I know what humanity can do for the most part, and how it's helpful, but what causes that number to increase? Is it from killing things a certain way or something?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Agreed, I actually won against an invader last night, it was a first for me. But yeah, it's just like dying any other way. I purposely lured him near the bonfire so I wouldn't have to run far if I died heh.

I'm about 5-6 hours in, running around undead parish - had a quick question about Humanity, and I can't seem to find an answer I fully understand anywhere. Basically I notice the number in the upper left seems to increase on its own once in a while...highest I got it is to "02". I know what humanity can do for the most part, and how it's helpful, but what causes that number to increase? Is it from killing things a certain way or something?

That number is just your "soft humanity ticker". It increases from killing certain types of enemies while the boss of that area is still alive. There are probably other ways to have it increase but they escape me right now. So in other words, try to do your farming while the boss is alive! :p

Humanity can only be gained by killing enemies while the boss in the area is still alive, from humanity items (occasionally dropped by rats and skeleton babies, which is by far the most optimal way to farm humanity), and from killing invaders/the host in the world you're invading (but only, AFAIK, if you're using a red eye orb/cracked orb).

I personally managed to farm almost 200 humanity in the space of two and a half hours just killing skeleton babies. You have to pay attention to not get killed in the most humiliating manner, so it wasn't too boring (but it sure helps to put up some good music - Diablo's soundtrack works particularly well here). I don't recommend it, though, because I did manage to lose 90+ soft humanity after I died twice (and it was really, really humiliating)...

How exactly does a SL1 run work?

You don't level up at all?! That's crazy. I would imagine the gear available is all pretty crappy, and the bosses would take forever.

Also if you are farming humanity try to use the humanity in your inventory to raise the number for your soft humanity up to 10. At 10 you will have the highest drop rate so it will pay for itself. At 30 you have the highest resistance to being cursed.

I was able to farm for humanity pretty easy at the bonfire in the depths. There's a section right next to the bonfire with 9 rats, so with 10 in soft humanity I was able to farm up 50 humanity in an hour and the area is completely safe to do it in. There is pretty much zero chance that someone would die farming in that area.

Soulhouf

Aww, thanks man! :D

When I did those originally, I had no idea that other players out there would do these kinds of challenge runs. Now there are whole "OneBros" communities of people that are playing through Dark Souls without leveling up. (Not to take any credit for this. I think it's only a reaction by fans to a greatly designed fighting system to do runs like these, and I know other players were doing them at the same time and surely before mine.)

The barbarian run was an even greater challenge than a normal SL1 playthrough, but there's something that sounds great about saying "soul Level 1" playthrough.

Other players have raised the bar on challenges I think, like this guy who does SL1, fist only weapons battles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuXkSTNtg-c

I haven't given much thought to what kind of challenge run would be difficult, but also new and interesting (whip barbarian maybe?) Any ideas?

I watched your barbarian run, great stuff man.

There are even a harder challenge than the SL1 fist only. You do a SL1 run without upgrading anything. I did it and the 4K fight was by far the hardest one since the damage you do is so low. I was constantly fighting 4 Kings at the same time. Big time!

ArynCrinn

Banned
I've actually been killed by baby skeletons before... :(

You don't level up at all?! That's crazy. I would imagine the gear available is all pretty crappy, and the bosses would take forever.

Gear isn't that bad once you know what weapon+ring combo's to use. Blacksmith Giant Hammer is actually pretty OP for a no-upgrade SL1 run. And bosses don't tend to take too long because most of the time the methods used can end them relatively quickly, some exceptions.

I'd actually say a few classes like the Thief and maybe Deprived would be harder than a SL1 Pyro playthrough. Just due to stat and weapon restrictions.

There are even a harder challenge than the SL1 fist only. You do a SL1 run without upgrading anything. I did it and the 4K fight was by far the hardest one since the damage you do is so low. I was constantly fighting 4 Kings at the same time. Big time!

A Sorcerer starting class, no upgrades, melee only, no shields, naked, bare fists only, no rings except Favor. And beat bosses in ridiculous ways (like leaving the boulder throwing giant alive for the Iron Golem fight). That would probably be the hardest Souls run ever!

So which entrance is the best entrance to take into blighttown? I think there is one at firelink shrine? Or should I take the one from the Depths?

KarmaCow

So which entrance is the best entrance to take into blighttown? I think there is one at firelink shrine? Or should I take the one from the Depths?

The the non-Depths one is far easier, though you'll maybe have to go out your way to get okay-ish items.

At the same time, I think you should do it from the Depths side if it's your first time.

So if it's my first time make sure to go the harder way. Gotcha. : |

Really as long as the way I'm going has decent access to bonfires I'm ok with that. Theres a merchant in the depths
that is selling some pretty nice armor that is curse resistant. Together with my ring of poison(?), 30 humanity, and spider shield I should be pretty poison and curse resistant

oracrest

Yes, you start as a pyromancer, I believe the only class that begins at level 1 to start (It was the Royal class in Demon's Souls)

Like you guessed, the biggest restriction is equipment, but after leveling up even the lower grade armors and weapons, they are still pretty powerful for a competent player. The key is really being good at the combat, and good with rolling, as it forces you to become much tighter with these systems.

There are also items such as havel's ring which will increase your equipment load, allowing you to use better armor and still maintain the fast roll. Even though you are a pyromancer, many prefer to go all melee, and avoid using magic of any kind altogether. The more hardcore challenges will have you beating everything by yourself, with no assistance from NPC's or other players. As you can imagine, the further you get in the game, the fewer potential players are even available to help you, as most are way beyond your level range later on.

Thanks! I'm glad it still gets some love every now and again. :)

Man, Four Kings gives me the most anxiety, thinking about doing challenge runs against them :/ Demon's Souls also had the advantage of allowing you to carry hundreds of healing items with you at a time. Or at least, it was much easier to obtain them. I suppose you could stock up on humanity. You don't need those souls for leveling anyways ;P

ParityBit

So I went to kill the
Gaping Dragon
for the first time. Had 2 saints helping me from a summon and took him out :) He dropped a
Dragon King Greataxe
but I can not use it. Too much str requirements. Is it good anyways?

J-Roderton

Best covenant. Punish them!

Done. More than a year after buying DS for Dark souls on release day to only quit after 14 hours in. More than six months after buying the pc version on release date only to quit after 15 hours in. I finally beat Dark Souls. Took me about 5 weeks, and what a ride. It currently sits as my most played game on Steam at 86 hours.

maomaoIYP

That stone never works for me :(, so sad, I have tried so many times and it doesnt connect me to anyone, what level are you on, I really want to punish the guilty.

I always try in ANor Londo BTW.

What SL are you? Your SL has to be close to the person you are invading. Stick to normal PvP rules and keep to a max of 125. Best areas I had as a Darkmoon have been Oolacile township, Kiln, and the forest.

Best covenant. Punish them!
I agree, but it's SO HARD to find someone to connect to. I wish they'd change this covenant so that you could invade them even if they had beaten the boss.

Sullichin

It's not as crazy as it sounds. You can take a reinforced club, hand axe, or a few other weapons to chaos +5, lightning +5, fire +10, damage output isn't really a problem. Also pyromancy is very powerful. Even at SL1, almost nothing in the game will kill you in one shot if you have full health (unless it's a counter hit or something). Now, no upgrade SL1 runs... that's crazy. craziest i've done is no elemental upgrades deprived (naked, club +15, deprived starting stats), but I'm stuck on four kings and artorias.

Back entrance is far easier and allows you to skip nearly the entire area. If you want to get all of the items, you want to go from the depths. There's not really any curse threat in blighttown, but there's lots of threat of getting toxified. Blooming purple moss, spider shield, and certain armors can help.

krakov

What SL are you? Your SL has to be close to the person you are invading. Stick to normal PvP rules and keep to a max of 125. Best areas I had as a Darkmoon have been Oolacile township, Kiln, and the...

My understanding is that there are no sl restriction for darkmoons. I've been invaded by guys that are 200 sl above me. Still almost never works.

SJRB

Gold Member
My understanding is that there are no sl restriction for darkmoons. I've been invaded by guys that are 200 sl above me. Still almost never works.

Darkmoon invading can be done in two ways:

- darkmoon ring, sets you up with sinners in Dark Anor Londo, no SL restrictions
- blue eye orb, can be used in any area, searches for same-level sinners

krakov

- blue eye orb, can be used in any area, searches for same-level sinners

I would argue this is not true. I've been invaded in the butterfly part of darkroot by a SL 300+ when I was around sl 50. Also in parish by a 200+ SL darkmoon while being around SL100. I could take half and hour and do some experiments.

I friend mentioned something about a "soft" level cap at level 40 last night. Didnt get a chance to find out what he was talking about because I fell through a hold in the depths right after he said it. Whats this all about?

Soulhouf

I friend mentioned something about a "soft" level cap at level 40 last night. Didnt get a chance to find out what he was talking about because I fell through a hold in the depths right after he said it. Whats this all about?

Perhaps he was talking about the individual stats?
str, dex and end for example will suffer a big decrease in return past 40.

.... minimalism works great for a story in games, but not for getting info to the player on the goddamn basic mechanics. I certainly would have spent my levels quite a bit different if I knew that before I got to level 38. Fuck it, I'm deleting this character and starting over some other time.

ParityBit

Perhaps he was talking about the individual stats?
str, dex and end for example will suffer a big decrease in return past 40.

This is what I think was meant ...

.... minimalism works great for a story in games, but not for getting info to the player on the goddamn basic mechanics. I certainly would have spent my levels quite a bit different if I knew that before I got to level 38. Fuck it, I'm deleting this character and starting over some other time.

Gah. Don't do that!

Top Bottom