• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Arjen

.... minimalism works great for a story in games, but not for getting info to the player on the goddamn basic mechanics. I certainly would have spent my levels quite a bit different if I knew that before I got to level 38. Fuck it, I'm deleting this character and starting over some other time.

But if you pay atention on the level up screen, you can see how gaining a level in stenght/dexterity whatever affects the rest of your stats. You can clearly see the damage output staying white after you reach a certain level of a stat.

.... minimalism works great for a story in games, but not for getting info to the player on the goddamn basic mechanics. I certainly would have spent my levels quite a bit different if I knew that before I got to level 38. Fuck it, I'm deleting this character and starting over some other time.
It means the lvl of the individual stat not your overall level. That is, raising any stat over 40 has diminishing returns, not your soul level.

oracrest

I started a SL1 character last night.

I'm not sure what weapon I will use. I see a lot of people using the hand axe, but I already stuck with that originally, so I am looking for a different weapon to use. Maybe the clubs?

Soulhouf

I'm not sure what weapon I will use. I see a lot of people using the hand axe, but I already stuck with that originally, so I am looking for a different weapon to use. Maybe the clubs?

If you're looking for efficiency, nothing beats a Reinforced Club (chaos > fire > lightning).
That weapon is a beast.

EasyMode

Lightning Reinforced Club +5 has good damage + bleed. IIRC The Balder shield has the most stability that an SL1 can equip.

The fact that you can equip a decent shield at SL1 makes things much easier than SL1 in Demon's Souls.

oracrest

Oh, cool. I played with another player that had a sick lightning reinforced club last night, and he was one hitting almost everything like a boss.

I am trying for a solo playthrough, but helping other players out in their games whenever I get summoned.

Raide

Just wanted to ask something about the Black Bow of Pharis.
Do I have to actually join the Covenant, kill the Ninja, Absolve and then I can come back?
Cheers!

Raide

does dsfix work with the newest version of dead souls? oh and fuck blighttown

I did hate Blighttown until I played it a few times, learned some of the tricks and its actually not that bad. Getting ready for the poison and toxin is the main thing, plus being careful as you roam about in case something jumps you. :D

Once the dart dudes are gone, it becomes so much easier. Also the big infected club jerks? Practise parry and riposte on them. Or poison them from range and wait for them to die. :D

ParityBit

I just got to blighttown. Well to the fire on the bridge anyways. Not looking forward to whatever is down below! especially with how you guys talk about it.

Raide

I just got to blighttown. Well to the fire on the bridge anyways. Not looking forward to whatever is down below! especially with how you guys talk about it.

Get poison resist and take it slow + shield up. If you see those darts and your poison building up, get to cover and try and pick them off.

ParityBit

Get poison resist and take it slow + shield up. If you see those darts and your poison building up, get to cover and try and pick them off.

OK I will do that! I play in 3D and man ..... don't look down! Right now I am walking around in my knight armor. I could flip back to my pyro armor if that would be better. Or the shadow armor if that is better. But I have not upgraded that yet.

Raide

OK I will do that! I play in 3D and man ..... don't look down! Right now I am walking around in my knight armor. I could flip back to my pyro armor if that would be better. Or the shadow armor if that is better. But I have not upgraded that yet.

I would favour the Poison resistance and mobility of something lighter. Also grab the Spider Shield if you can, since that will help massively. Once you down the dart guys, get to know the layout a bit more, it is not too bad. Saying that, I still get those moments where I don't pay attention and slip right off a ledge to my death. :D

I would love to try it out in 3D. I was pretty lttp for Dark Souls, even though I watched hours and hours of Epic Name Bro. Due to a friendly GAFer, I managed to grab a copy of the name and never looked back. over the 70 hour mark and still don't feel I am getting anywhere.

Do I have to actually join the Covenant, kill the Ninja, Absolve and then I can come back?
Cheers!
The question is a bit confusing, but to get the bow you just kill it's owner. You don't have to join the covenant. Kill her any way you like - she drops the bow. If she falls off the cliff (by FORCE maybe? *evil laugh* - it will be in her original spot).

Might as well do it all in one though, I kill these forest fuckers, then join the covenant right before I go to Blighttown, then get the gesture and any weapons I want, then kill the rest of them down there!

Lulubop

I'm having a weird issue, my character refuses to run or even Jog. Holding down B, he'll start to sprint but will revert back to walking immediately. I don't think it's controller related, as I have no issues with any other game. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

krakov

Cheers!

The npc that drops the bow is always in the forest no matter if youre a member of the covenant or not

I'm having a weird issue, my character refuses to run or even Jog. Holding down B, he'll start to sprint but will revert back to walking immediately. I don't think it's controller related, as I have no issues with any other game. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

You've probably either been cursed or are carrying too much weight.

Raide

The question is a bit confusing, but to get the bow you just kill it's owner. You don't have to join the covenant. Kill her any way you like - she drops the bow. If she falls off the cliff (by FORCE maybe? *evil laugh* - it will be in her original spot).

Might as well do it all in one though, I kill these forest fuckers, then join the covenant right before I go to Blighttown, then get the gesture and any weapons I want, then kill the rest of them down there!

I kinda joined the Covenant just to not get murdered by them. :D Maybe I should farm them a bit more. I don't have any reason to stay with the Covenant, I seem to just join the one that gets me through the game. :D

I kinda joined the Covenant just to not get murdered by them. :D Maybe I should farm them a bit more. I don't have any reason to stay with the Covenant, I seem to just join the one that gets me through the game. :D
You also have to resist backstabbing them as you walk past when in the covenant! It's always so spooky when in the forest covenant because you're not getting invaded every 5 seconds!

Sullichin

Trying to resume my base sl deprived run (naked, club +15) to kill artorias with red tearstone ring....fuuuucckk I keep coming so close. I know I can do it. I keep getting killed by his slime throwing attack, of all things.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Trying to resume my base sl deprived run (naked, club +15) to kill artorias with red tearstone ring....fuuuucckk I keep coming so close. I know I can do it. I keep getting killed by his slime throwing attack, of all things.

Yeah, that attack sucks sometimes, seems to come out of nowhere due to my inability to notice the tell. Ironically I used that same attack to activate Red Tearstone on my SL1 run just a hour ago, and finally beat him.

...seems like a +5 Occult Broadsword should do a bit more damage to Artorias (on my base Knight run).

Sullichin

Yeah, that attack sucks sometimes, seems to come out of nowhere due to my inability to notice the tell. Ironically I used that same attack to activate Red Tearstone on my SL1 run just a hour ago, and finally beat him.

...seems like a +5 Occult Broadsword should do a bit more damage to Artorias (on my base Knight run).

I use the scarecrow people and some fall damage to activate red tearstone before the fight. Maybe I should try activating it in the middle of the fight

Roche

I like the Iaito more because its R2 attack is more useful in PvP but the Uchi is just as fine, just a matter of taste really.

Yeah I'd second that, I find the Uchi's R2 is a death sentence in PvP if used in the wrong situation.

Though I prefer using the
Chaos Blade
over the other Katanas in PvP.

ParityBit

So I am kinda lost ... What should I be doing?
I killed Quelaag by chance. I went human and kindled the fire, summoned someone and ended up killing her and ringing the bell. I am debating going back into blighttown to explore more? Or should I got get some shards to upgrade my items that I got? My new Katana, some of this armor and someone invaded and I killed him! He dropped a butcher knife? Anyways ... I do not have a clue what I should do. I am SL45

TheExodu5

Banned
You can really do what you want. If you mean what you need to do to continue in the game, then
you need to go back to the bonfire near the blacksmith and the Undead Parish (the third bonfire you reach in the game). From there you can now enter the big gate at Sen's Fortress
. Besides that, feel free to explore...though you may hit a wall if you keep going in certain directions.

ParityBit

You can really do what you want. If you mean what you need to do to continue in the game, then
you need to go back to the bonfire near the blacksmith and the Undead Parish (the third bonfire you reach in the game). From there you can now enter the big gate at Sen's Fortress
. Besides that, feel free to explore...though you may hit a wall if you keep going in certain directions.

Well, I am kinda stuck because I have no more poison cures, and I have no shortcut to get anyplace that I know of. So I dont even know how I would get out of the area I am in. I will die if I walk though the poison down!

Seanspeed

Banned
Any point in buying the Crystal set? I'm at the merchant now, seems like this would be the best time to buy it.

If you've got the spare souls, its not bad stuff, but its definitely expensive for equipment that cant be repaired. Its also heavy. I got the crystal sword and shield, which served me well for a time. Depends on what you have now and what sort of build you've got going on. It could be totally crap for you, it might be decent. Just check out the stats carefully and make an educated decision.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, I am kinda stuck because I have no more poison cures, and I have no shortcut to get anyplace that I know of. So I dont even know how I would get out of the area I am in. I will die if I walk though the poison down!

From the bonfire there, you need to hang a right and follow the wall around til you get to the water wheel and go up that way. You should be able to get to it without being poisoned if you're careful. If you do get poisoned by mistake, you can turn around and go back to the bonfire which gets rid of it and then try again but its really quite close.

I had the exact same problem but its pretty simple now that I've gone up and down a few times.

EDIT: Ah, meant to cut and paste this into my other post, sorry.

ParityBit

From the bonfire there, you need to hang a right and follow the wall around til you get to the water wheel and go up that way. You should be able to get to it without being poisoned if you're careful. If you do get poisoned by mistake, you can turn around and go back to the bonfire which gets rid of it and then try again but its really quite close.

I had the exact same problem but its pretty simple now that I've gone up and down a few times.

EDIT: Ah, meant to cut and paste this into my other post, sorry.

Oh, where does doing up the water wheel bring me to?

Boken

Banned
So I recently created a new windows partition on my computer. Running windows from this new partition (Steam was installed in another directory), Dark Soul starts fine, but when I load the game, it crashes during the loading screen. Anybody know what's up?

2AdEPT

Aww, thanks man! :D

When I did those originally, I had no idea that other players out there would do these kinds of challenge runs. Now there are whole "OneBros" communities of people that are playing through Dark Souls without leveling up. (Not to take any credit for this. I think it's only a reaction by fans to a greatly designed fighting system to do runs like these, and I know other players were doing them at the same time and surely before mine.)

The barbarian run was an even greater challenge than a normal SL1 playthrough, but there's something that sounds great about saying "soul Level 1" playthrough.

Other players have raised the bar on challenges I think, like this guy who does SL1, fist only weapons battles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuXkSTNtg-c

I haven't given much thought to what kind of challenge run would be difficult, but also new and interesting (whip barbarian maybe?) Any ideas?
no way man full props for you and others like the original demon's gaffers like indigo cyclops, astroturfing, yoshichan, and others...I came here and was a new read only member at launch ...just for demons souls as I picked up my "own"choice when my son asked for dragon age for christmas that year...so I know you all but you don't know me...notwithstanding you all increased the community at the time and helped make the series what it is at least amoungst this community...which appears to have influence...all props are deserved.

although I am sure others did it first...I knew I had to try a no upgrades SL1....it was the most memorable of all playthroughs....using the tearstone stacked with dusk ring and fireballs (to maximize uses over power) and farming mushrooms for pine resin....all decked out in stone armour....and the most memorable experience....no upgrades run into TOG with no light until getting the lantern....running by all enemies and making it to the far bonfire...only to realize that the sanctus would not appear because i didn't have the lordvessel yet....then it hit....i triggered the bonfire, i got no way out of here!?!?!?!? I had never tried getting out before...just pushed forward in the past. Realized i had not enough estus and pyro to blast my way out. Was teh most terrifying 3 hours ever..but got out using ingenious tricks like aggroing the giant skellies at teh top fo teh ladder and then going half way down the ladder so they would jump down and they do not climb back up! then the pinwheels...there is no friggin bonfire until the very top of the catacombs. Learnd how to aggro each boneskelly and position in my self in the tunnel waiting for them and dodging at the right time as to miss them then back stab them near the far wall. Died on the black knight then all the way back down to the tomb. made it out after one more screw up on a regular skelly in combs.....simply terrifying but when there is a will there is way. Epitomized the feeling I got day one from demon's.

anyway...huge fan and lots of props for helping perpetuate the old school gamer mentality this game is strong in catering to.

Oh, cool. I played with another player that had a sick lightning reinforced club last night, and he was one hitting almost everything like a boss.

I am trying for a solo playthrough, but helping other players out in their games whenever I get summoned.

I suggest doing no upgrades SL1....it limits the damage you can do without tactics....forces you to use dusk ring, tearstone, power withn etc. i like the reinforced club but also allowed myself to down grade the occult club to divine...it is actually a bit more damage without having to buff to get higher rates...no bleed but most use reinforced R2 and don;t trigger bleed doing that anyway...i prefer two quick r1's which outdamages the r2. You can choose whether to allow yourself the lightning hammer from the giant blacksmith...didn't even know it existed during my run or I would have used it on smough. it is clealry the most powerful weapon you can get with no upgrades.

So I am kinda lost ... What should I be doing?
I killed Quelaag by chance. I went human and kindled the fire, summoned someone and ended up killing her and ringing the bell. I am debating going back into blighttown to explore more? Or should I got get some shards to upgrade my items that I got? My new Katana, some of this armor and someone invaded and I killed him! He dropped a butcher knife? Anyways ... I do not have a clue what I should do. I am SL45
There should've been a cutscene clue where to go next when you rang the second bell. Somewhere that was closed off before.

btw, that invader was Maneater Mildred, an NPC invader.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So I recently created a new windows partition on my computer. Running windows from this new partition (Steam was installed in another directory), Dark Soul starts fine, but when I load the game, it crashes during the loading screen. Anybody know what's up?
Is this with dsfix?

ParityBit

Whoever designed Blighttown is a goddamn sadist.

I agree! Of course, I must enjoy it because I am at work, yet want to go home and play in the green gasses of Blighttown.

Its basically a shortcut back to Firelink Shrine, but you'll very briefly enter two other areas on the way.

Oh, thanks! I will give that a try. I want to try and upgrade some of my stuff. I still have the worst time locking down on a weapon/armor choice.

There should've been a cutscene clue where to go next when you rang the second bell. Somewhere that was closed off before.

btw, that invader was Maneater Mildred, an NPC invader.

I saw the cut scene and know where that is, but at the same time the game dumped me into a new area (all I did was start the fire and run back into Blighttown.

Damn! Stupid NPC. I thought I actually killed an invader. I should probably remove my sins at some point ....

Speaking of which .... was the town
The catwalk area when you first come there? Crappy town if so!

I saw the cut scene and know where that is, but at the same time the game dumped me into a new area (all I did was start the fire and run back into Blighttown.

Damn! Stupid NPC. I thought I actually killed an invader. I should probably remove my sins at some point ....

Speaking of which .... was the town
The catwalk area when you first come there? Crappy town if so!
Ha, yeah that's the town. But look who lives there, they're not that nice looking either!

You don't have to remove your sins for killing NPC invaders, they're exactly like human red phantoms, but their invasions are set pieces as part of the game, even if you're offline (you still have to be human of course). Her Butcher's Knife is a pretty cool weapon if you have the STR to use it.

That area after Quelaag's lair is the Demon Ruins which you will want to come back to later, but for now probably best to head on to Sen's Fortress, a real highlight of the game IMO.

ParityBit

Ha, yeah that's the town. But look who lives there, they're not that nice looking either!

You don't have to remove your sins for killing NPC invaders, they're exactly like human red phantoms, but their invasions are set pieces as part of the game, even if you're offline (you still have to be human of course). Her Butcher's Knife is a pretty cool weapon if you have the STR to use it.

That area after Quelaag's lair is the Demon Ruins which you will want to come back to later, but for now probably best to head on to Sen's Fortress, a real highlight of the game IMO.

Oh I mean from killing the undead merchant for the Katana. Although I am going to try and upgrade the Iaito to see which I like better. Was going to try and upgrade the shadow armor maybe. Something to substitute my knight armor with (and then dump my pyro starter in the box)

I am getting to the point I need large shards though. Good farming place for those? I thought it was in blighttown, but I did not see any drop.

Oh I mean from killing the undead merchant for the Katana.
Ahh I see. Unless you're flush with souls I wouldn't bother though, there's no downside really since he's a merchant not a covenant guy or anything.

I am getting to the point I need large shards though. Good farming place for those? I thought it was in blighttown, but I did not see any drop.
The big slugs in Blighttown yes. They drop either 1xLarge Titanite or 5xGreen Titanite. I farm there a lot, each run should net you between 4-8 drops if you have 10 humanity, more if you're using a very helpful item you are about to come across in Sen's.

J-Roderton

Should be quite a few in Sen's in chests and drops I think. And the slug things in Blighttown drop them I think. I'm searching for Demon Titanite at the moment so I'll have to check to make sure.

ParityBit

The big slugs in Blighttown yes. They drop either 1xLarge Titanite or 5xGreen Titanite. I farm there a lot, each run should net you between 4-8 drops if you have 10 humanity, more if you're using a very helpful item you are about to come across in Sen's.

Should be quite a few in Sen's in chests and drops I think. And the slug things in Blighttown drop them I think. I'm searching for Demon Titanite at the moment so I'll have to check to make sure.

OK, well I think I need to get get some poison resist going so I can stay in the blighttown area to farm. I don't think I have seen the slugs yet.

One other question is about convent's. What is a good one for a first timer Pyro type. Although I do find myself swinging my weapon more than casting spells.

Man I love this game.

got 600k+ souls from invading a dude in full havel armor in Sen's. I guess he was cheating... used the souls to buy loads of materials from the Giant blacksmith.

Top Bottom