• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Seanspeed

Banned
Anyone know where you can pick this up cheap at the moment?
You can buy the vanilla version for $20 new in most places now. Thats what I did. Heard the DLC was really short and wasn't sure whether I'd be into the game enough to really want it.

Oh I mean from killing the undead merchant for the Katana. Although I am going to try and upgrade the Iaito to see which I like better. Was going to try and upgrade the shadow armor maybe. Something to substitute my knight armor with (and then dump my pyro starter in the box)
The Iaito is quite good when upgraded to +10.

OK, well I think I need to get get some poison resist going so I can stay in the blighttown area to farm. I don't think I have seen the slugs yet.
You're going to have difficulty farming in Blighttown with the poison aspect and slow walking. You can also farm large titanite shards(and green ones) from the slimes near the bonfire in the Depths. They're really close by so you can rinse and repeat quite quickly. You may not get items as often as in Blighttown, but its less stressful and dangerous.

If you can make your way back to the Undead Asylum, there's an item there which will allow you to walk through gunky water without slowing you down, which helps enormously for running around in the Blighttown swamps.

Raide

Finally got my Black Bow. Did make the early mistake of killing the Ninja dude, who did not drop it but actually dropped something else worth getting. Really nice place to farm!

This game is fucking beautiful.

In case someone here doesn't look at the High-Res Screenshot Thread (and why wouldn't you?!):

Screenshot570670.jpg

Screenshot480550.jpg

Screenshot282042.jpg

Screenshot235818.jpg

Screenshot4356.jpg

Really glad I gave this game a second chance. I don't regret it for a second.

One funny thing that happened as I got to the end of the game is that I got about 4 Black Knight swords and 1 greatsword. Great job DS, way to go and give me some of the rarest weapons 5 minutes before I beat the game... lol.

edit: That Black Dragon on DLC is the only boss I was too scared of. I beat the game without killing him - way too tough with my current skills.

Akito

One funny thing that happened as I got to the end of the game is that I got about 4 Black Knight swords and 1 greatsword. Great job DS, way to go and give me some of the rarest weapons 5 minutes before I beat the game... lol.
The BK weapons are nowhere near being the rarest weapons/drops in the game, that's reserved for something like the Channeler's Trident, Ghost Blade or Oolacile Catalyst.

OK, well I think I need to get get some poison resist going so I can stay in the blighttown area to farm. I don't think I have seen the slugs yet.

One other question is about convent's. What is a good one for a first timer Pyro type. Although I do find myself swinging my weapon more than casting spells.

Man I love this game.
If you haven't seen the slugs yet, then you've missed a few items around the Blighttown swamp too, including a pyromancy spell. You might've also missed another useful pyromancy spell from the higher shantytown area of Blighttown
Power Within

Covenants are more about online play - either invading or co-oping, but as a Pyro you will want to join spiderlady's covenant because you get a very powerful pyro spell just for joining (and keep it even if you leave or join another covenant.
There is an illusory wall in the area with the second bell, down the stairs around there.
Furthermore, and more spoilery:
DON'T kill the guy behind the wall, he asks if you're a servant, say YES otherwise he won't let you pass.

Hi all, where should I go next in the game? I've rung the first bell, having beaten the gargoyles. Then I went to Darkroot Garden and defeated the moonlight butterfly. I went up the tower after the moonlight butterfly but there was nothing there save for a few items. I then headed back towards the blacksmith and did a bit of upgrading and such. Just wondering where to go now. Do I go to Darkroot Basin? Or back to Firelink Shrine and head down to the place with all those ghosts?

Arjen

You should have a new found key, that opens a certain door near a certain fire breathing beast. Head down there

ParityBit

If you haven't seen the slugs yet, then you've missed a few items around the Blighttown swamp too, including a pyromancy spell. You might've also missed another useful pyromancy spell from the higher shantytown area of Blighttown
Power Within

Covenants are more about online play - either invading or co-oping, but as a Pyro you will want to join spiderlady's covenant because you get a very powerful pyro spell just for joining (and keep it even if you leave or join another covenant.
There is an illusory wall in the area with the second bell, down the stairs around there.
Furthermore, and more spoilery:
DON'T kill the guy behind the wall, he asks if you're a servant, say YES otherwise he won't let you pass.

OK, sounds like I know what I am doing tonight. I will join that covenant, find that item Undead Asylum and update some items! I like taking it slow in games like this :)

SJRB

Gold Member
The BK weapons are nowhere near being the rarest weapons/drops in the game, that's reserved for something like the Channeler's Trident, Ghost Blade or Oolacile Catalyst.

I think he means that the BK weapons can not be farmed in the entire game until you reach the Kiln, as opposed to the weapons you mentioned.

Sullichin

Hi all, where should I go next in the game? I've rung the first bell, having beaten the gargoyles. Then I went to Darkroot Garden and defeated the moonlight butterfly. I went up the tower after the moonlight butterfly but there was nothing there save for a few items. I then headed back towards the blacksmith and did a bit of upgrading and such. Just wondering where to go now. Do I go to Darkroot Basin? Or back to Firelink Shrine and head down to the place with all those ghosts?

You want to go to lower undead burg. there's a door on the dragon bridge that leads there, if you've explored the parish you should have the key. Alternatively, there are ways to skip this area and go ring the second bell sooner if you wish, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for a first playthrough. Either way you definitely don't want to deal with the ghosts yet :p

You should have a new found key, that opens a certain door near a certain fire breathing beast. Head down there

Excellent, thanks. Also, am I par for the course on leveling so far? I'm 27 or 28 or thereabouts. Melee warrior with mostly strength (~25) and health (~20) and a bit of dexterity (~15).

Sullichin

Excellent, thanks. Also, am I par for the course on leveling so far? I'm 27 or 28 or thereabouts. Melee warrior with mostly strength (~25) and health (~20) and a bit of dexterity (~15).
Looks good, with strength that high you'd benefit most from weapons that scale with strength. You can see it in the "parambonus" section of the weapon detail screen - the icon with the fist (or arm muscle? I forget) indicates strength, and a letter next to it, like D or B indicates how much damage is added by your strength stat. S and A are the highest/best scaling. when it comes to strength weapons it's fairly obvious. Clubs and big swords will benefit from increased strength along the normal upgrade path. It's also worth mentioning that your strength stat increases 1.5x when you two hand a weapon, thus lowering the requirements to wield it in two hands.

Looks good, with strength that high you'd benefit most from weapons that scale with strength. You can see it in the "parambonus" section of the weapon detail screen - the icon with the fist (or arm muscle? I forget) indicates strength, and a letter next to it, like D or B indicates how much damage is added by your strength stat. S and A are the highest/best scaling. when it comes to strength weapons it's fairly obvious. Clubs and big swords will benefit from increased strength along the normal upgrade path.

Thanks for your help. I've been swinging the Drake sword for the past few hours of gameplay. From your knowledge, is that a decent weapon for my level? The main downside seems to be it costs so much to upgrade and you need a dragon scale too.

Sullichin

Thanks for your help. I've been swinging the Drake sword for the past few hours of gameplay. From your knowledge, is that a decent weapon for my level? The main downside seems to be it costs so much to upgrade and you need a dragon scale too.
The drake sword actually offers no scaling with your stats, so it will do the same damage with 16 strength as it would with 25, or even 50. It's decent to use while you're upgrading another weapon but that's about it. I recommend trying out the claymore (dragon bridge), zwëihander (in the graveyard), or any weapon you find that has a move set you like. You will have to upgrade it a bit to outclass the drake sword. But it will outclass it around +5 or 6 and those weapons can go all the way to +15

chunk3rvd

Scrolled past those high res pics as one was loading and it looked like a spoiler for a boss from the DLC that I haven't seen yet. Am I right or am I safe to look?

ParityBit

Does the Iaito scale with dex or anything? Right now as a Pyro I have put points in Stamina (30ish), Str (16ish) and dex (16ish) but I need a 19 or something to wield it correctly.

Also, I have a 19 Attunment. Think that's enough? 5 slots.

The dragon
on the DLC was the hardest boss in the entire game for me. Sad to say it was also the only one I didn't beat, even after trying. I just got tired to having to go all the way from the bonfire to his area and being one-shot every time.
I looked at some youtube videos of people beating him and they seemed way overleveled with single hits from them taking almost a quarter of his hp.

EasyMode

Does the Iaito scale with dex or anything? Right now as a Pyro I have put points in Stamina (30ish), Str (16ish) and dex (16ish) but I need a 19 or something to wield it correctly.

Also, I have a 19 Attunment. Think that's enough? 5 slots.

Iaito does scale with dex and requires 20 to wield. One benefit of higher dex as a Pyro is that it makes your spells cast faster. Also, 16 is a good stopping point for strength if you want to go the dex route since you can equip the best standard shields at that point.

5 Slots is plenty, I would stop at that point.

oracrest

two days into my SL1 run.

So far I have defeated Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, Capra Demon, and Gaping Dragon.

the reinforced club is proving to be much better than my hand axe. And the animation speeds are somewhat new, so it feels a bit fresh to play with it.

I also love that the R2 attack does an automatic lunge jump swing. I am not sure how many other types of weapons work that way, but it's a great way to get past enemies trying to parry you.

So far, I am using a combination of the chain mail and leather armor for my guy, but I would appreciate any recommendations on good armor combos for SL1 characters. I should probably work on getting Havel's ring sooner than later, so that will open up some more possibilities for me.

F-cking 4 Kings. I tried taking them out @ SL28 which isn't the lowest ever I know, but I haven't rung the second bell yet, so it feels early. I took Beatrice in with me and was doing OK until I realised I couldn't use Iron Flesh whilst a transient curse was active, which I had to use so that Beatrice would f-cking follow me instead of constantly soul arrowing a ghost. F-cking Beatrice!

ParityBit

Iaito does scale with dex and requires 20 to wield. One benefit of higher dex as a Pyro is that it makes your spells cast faster. Also, 16 is a good stopping point for strength if you want to go the dex route since you can equip the best standard shields at that point.

5 Slots is plenty, I would stop at that point.

Wow thanks, that's just what I needed to know. I was going to try and raise my vitality some. I have yet to raise it at all. Or should I just concentrate on end and dex?

EasyMode

So far, I am using a combination of the chain mail and leather armor for my guy, but I would appreciate any recommendations on good armor combos for SL1 characters. I should probably work on getting Havel's ring sooner than later, so that will open up some more possibilities for me.

When I attempted this I remember trying all kinds of armor combinations, but I kept coming back to Pyro gear. I was limited though because I wanted fast roll and was using the Ring of Favor instead of Havel's.

Sullichin

two days into my SL1 run.

So far I have defeated Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, Capra Demon, and Gaping Dragon.

the reinforced club is proving to be much better than my hand axe. And the animation speeds are somewhat new, so it feels a bit fresh to play with it.

I also love that the R2 attack does an automatic lunge jump swing. I am not sure how many other types of weapons work that way, but it's a great way to get past enemies trying to parry you.

Dingy set, wanderer's. I only used heavy armor on Nito and Four Kings

EasyMode

Wow thanks, that's just what I needed to know. I was going to try and raise my vitality some. I have yet to raise it at all. Or should I just concentrate on end and dex?

Vitality is always nice to have. 27 Vit is a nice mid-game goal, since that will get you to 1000 HP. You can push beyond that of course (I often stop at around 35.) Vit, End, and Dex looks like a solid plan to me.

My basement flooded during the weekend and I cant play any of my games, I miss Dark Souls so much, this thread has me on life support.

Maybe I will take this chance to ask a few questions.

Im currently rocking a mix of Guardian set and Stone set, I see these can be upgraded at all, is this the best set in the game? is there something better even if it means I have to upgrade them to hell.

Also, right now im in the Bed of Chaos fight, I think I have defeated every boss im supposed to before him, whats next for me?

Also im getting bored of my Zhweheinder, its completed maxxed out with lightning, can someone recommend me another beastly weapon with maybe a faster move set than the Zhwei, something that deals more damage too :D

krakov

My basement flooded during the weekend and I cant play any of my games, I miss Dark Souls so much, this thread has me on life support.

Maybe I will take this chance to ask a few questions.

Im currently rocking a mix of Guardian set and Stone set, I see these can be upgraded at all, is this the best set in the game? is there something better even if it means I have to upgrade them to hell.

Also, right now im in the Bed of Chaos fight, I think I have defeated every boss im supposed to before him, whats next for me?

Also im getting bored of my Zhweheinder, its completed maxxed out with lightning, can someone recommend me another beastly weapon with maybe a faster move set than the Zhwei, something that deals more damage too :D

Black iron, giants, elite knight and cleric set are all very good when upgraded. Smough and havel are also good but can't be reinforced. Maybe you should try something lighter though? Fast rolling is a lot better than high defense imho.

If you've defeated the other end game bosses you are pretty much done. May be some optional stuff left.

If you want more damage than lightning zwei you would need a good scaling weapon. Do you have high str or dex?

EasyMode

Alright I'm stuck...

I'm in Anor Lando, can't get through the orange smoke gate and the the elevator leads me to a bridge to nowhere.

The bridge is the correct path, and the orange gate doesn't open until a certain event (you will know when it happens.) When you get to the bridge, look to your left towards the cathedral. Look for a way to reach it.

EasyMode

I wont be able to die very much, though. I stopped just a short ways in, but I've already used like 3 toxin cures. Dont have very many more. Once I run out, I'm screwed.

Do you have any fire weapons or pyro spells? If you kill those bloated head guys with fire it prevents the toxic explosion when they die.

I wont be able to die very much, though. I stopped just a short ways in, but I've already used like 3 toxin cures. Dont have very many more. Once I run out, I'm screwed.

Slow and steady. Do you have any spears or other long range weapons. You can kill the toxic enemies without getting that effect, you just have to be quick enough to get out there and avoid being hit. You could also try getting gear that increases toxic resistance. I think I found a shield in that area that does that.

EasyMode

No fire weapons. Dont think I have any fire spells. I've ignored magic entirely so far.

Hmmm. Firebombs should also do the trick, but your unlikely to have many. If your weapon is fast enough, you may be able to roll back immediately after the killing blow but I don't think it works 100%.

Here's what I'd do: you know that big locked gate near the beginning? Make a mad dash for the other side, because once it's open you no longer have to deal with those guys to reach the end of the level.

Seanspeed

Banned
Slow and steady. Do you have any spears or other long range weapons. You can kill the toxic enemies without getting that effect, you just have to be quick enough to get out there and avoid being hit. You could also try getting gear that increases toxic resistance. I think I found a shield in that area that does that.
Was using a Halberd and rolling away wasn't getting me far enough.

Is toxic resistance the same as poison resistance? I've got some good poison defense stuff.

Hmmm. Firebombs should also do the trick, but your unlikely to have many. If your weapon is fast enough, you may be able to roll back immediately after the killing blow but I don't think it works 100%.

Here's what I'd do: you know that big locked gate near the beginning? Make a mad dash for the other side, because once it's open you no longer have to deal with those guys to reach the end of the level.
Ah hell yea, hadn't thought of firebombs. I actually fully stocked up on them not too long ago for enemies just 'slightly' out of reach since I dont use ranged weapons or magic.

SJRB

Gold Member
No fire weapons. Dont think I have any fire spells. I've ignored magic entirely so far.

There's a super-useful shortcut, check this video.

Also, the Painted World was almost a gamebreaker for me too, I really hated the place and I didn't want to continue playing. I looked up some walkthroughs of the area on youtube to get a general feel of the area and what items it holds.

It might be a bit spoilerific of course, but it will show you that the area itself is very small and you can get out in 10 minutes if you know where to go.

Seanspeed

Banned
That appears to be the case according to this:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/toxic
Ok cool. Will be doing that definitely.

There's a super-useful shortcut, check this video.

Also, the Painted World was almost a gamebreaker for me too, I really hated the place and I didn't want to continue playing. I looked up some walkthroughs of the area on youtube to get a general feel of the area and what items it holds.

It might be a bit spoilerific of course, but it will show you that the area itself is very small and you can get out in 10 minutes if you know where to go.
Looks like that fall might kill me. I'll try and push on for now as I haven't died yet. If I do, I'll be sure to try it, though.

Binabik15

Started playin again yesterday, I was only at the Undead Burg. Now I'm at the Undead Parish, I can't decide whether I like my longsword or my spear better, Black Knigts with big shields fall like wheat in before a scythe, but Mr buckler and Estoc (? or other piercing sword type) knight reams me hard most of the time. But I need to get past them or I have to go play with the stupid forrest monsters in the basement, running past big bad demon guy. Everything is perfect until knight nr 3 or 4 counters me and stabs me the fuck death.

Playing with a bit of downsampling and not so high DoF on a 7870@1010, but I get a lot of drops from 30, especially during some vistas, but not neccessarily always in those spots, it sucks. I have to OC my i5 750 I guess, but I want an aftermarket cooler first. Any other performance tricks? I don't think my gpu should have that much trouble with 1400p. That's all for the semester break, I should be studying anyway :(

SJRB

Gold Member
You'll be ok. The damage taken from falls is a percentage based on your max HP.

Alternatively you can jump from one floor lower, but it might take a few tries since you have to aim the jump just perfect to be able to jump over the spikes.

Raide

Started playin again yesterday, I was only at the Undead Burg. Now I'm at the Undead Parish, I can't decide whether I like my longsword or my spear better, Black Knigts with big shields fall like wheat in before a scythe, but Mr buckler and Estoc (? or other piercing sword type) knight reams me hard most of the time. But I need to get past them or I have to go play with the stupid forrest monsters in the basement, running past big bad demon guy. Everything is perfect until knight nr 3 or 4 counters me and stabs me the fuck death.

Playing with a bit of downsampling and not so high DoF on a 7870@1010, but I get a lot of drops from 30, especially during some vistas, but not neccessarily always in those spots, it sucks. I have to OC my i5 750 I guess, but I want an aftermarket cooler first. Any other performance tricks? I don't think my gpu should have that much trouble with 1400p. That's all for the semester break, I should be studying anyway :(

Best advice for these is to bait them into attacking. Stay a short distance from them, get them to attack and batter them. To be honest, once you have a decently powered weapon, they go down pretty fast. Just keep an eye out when they door their parry stance, since it can get messy. I light to step back and shoot them with arrows. :D Also, they are good practice for parrying.

Black iron, giants, elite knight and cleric set are all very good when upgraded. Smough and havel are also good but can't be reinforced. Maybe you should try something lighter though? Fast rolling is a lot better than high defense imho.

If you've defeated the other end game bosses you are pretty much done. May be some optional stuff left.

If you want more damage than lightning zwei you would need a good scaling weapon. Do you have high str or dex?

By every boss I mean, bosses availaible to me right now, this is my first playthrough, so im not sure if i missed something or if I should just go open the door behind the flame at this point.

I actually dont really have too much str or dex, been putting everything into Vit,End, I have enough Str to weild the weapons that I like but not much after, At this point in the game though, I think I have enough vit, end for a while so maybe if you can recommend a good scaling weapon I can start focusing on that stat.

BTW I might have high STR since I remember leveling it up to be able to weild the Great Artorias Shield...

Top Bottom