• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ParityBit

OK I am trying to run from Blighttown to Firelink Shrine. I got the key for New Londo .... but do I want to go through the Vaelly of the Drakes? Sorta not seeing how I am going to get to firelink from here.

Seanspeed

Banned
You'll be ok. The damage taken from falls is a percentage based on your max HP.

Alrighty then. Think I'm ready for this.

OK I am trying to run from Blighttown to Firelink Shrine. I got the key for New Londo .... but do I want to go through the Vaelly of the Drakes? Sorta not seeing how I am going to get to firelink from here.
Once you make your way into the Valley, you're like 5-10 seconds away from the area you need to go next. Cross that little bridge.

krakov

By every boss I mean, bosses availaible to me right now, this is my first playthrough, so im not sure if i missed something or if I should just go open the door behind the flame at this point.

I actually dont really have too much str or dex, been putting everything into Vit,End, I have enough Str to weild the weapons that I like but not much after, At this point in the game though, I think I have enough vit, end for a while so maybe if you can recommend a good scaling weapon I can start focusing on that stat.

BTW I might have high STR since I remember leveling it up to be able to weild the Great Artorias Shield...

The demon great machete +15 is really good with high str. One of the highest pure physical dmg weapons in the game. It's very similar to the zweihander in moveset. For a faster weapon you could try the man serpent greatsword.

It's really hard to say what you have left to do with the little information I have. Been to painted world? Returned to the asylum? Ash lake? Dlc? Gwyndolin?

Sullichin

I'm sad at the nerfed the eagle shield got like really really sad :(

It's still good, it was perhaps too overpowered for its requirements before the nerf, compared to other greatshields. I don't like using shields, but sometimes I like to grab the eagle shield to make the O&S fight much easier.

OK thanks! But my
fire keeper is dead!?!

Lol. :) That's Dark Souls' way of saying: move on to Sen's Fortress!
check the area right outside the firekeeper's cage if you haven't already. You'll get a chance to revive her later on.

Started playin again yesterday, I was only at the Undead Burg. Now I'm at the Undead Parish, I can't decide whether I like my longsword or my spear better, Black Knigts with big shields fall like wheat in before a scythe, but Mr buckler and Estoc (? or other piercing sword type) knight reams me hard most of the time. But I need to get past them or I have to go play with the stupid forrest monsters in the basement, running past big bad demon guy. Everything is perfect until knight nr 3 or 4 counters me and stabs me the fuck death.

Playing with a bit of downsampling and not so high DoF on a 7870@1010, but I get a lot of drops from 30, especially during some vistas, but not neccessarily always in those spots, it sucks. I have to OC my i5 750 I guess, but I want an aftermarket cooler first. Any other performance tricks? I don't think my gpu should have that much trouble with 1400p. That's all for the semester break, I should be studying anyway :(

I have the same graphics card and similar processor (i52500k). I needed to crank up all of the AA settings (and choose "overwrite application settings") in Catalyst Control panel to get a good framerate, or else the GPU stays in low power mode. You'll definitely be able to do 1440p/30fps, and even 1440p/60fps most of the time.

ParityBit

I am
Trying to roll onto the ledge so I can get to the crow nest. Can this be done with the 60 FPS? I am assuming yes, I just stink, but I wanted to check. I keep falling

Sullichin

I am
Trying to roll onto the ledge so I can get to the crow nest. Can this be done with the 60 FPS? I am assuming yes, I just stink, but I wanted to check. I keep falling

It's not just you, I personally can't make that roll at 60fps for the life of me. Press backspace (I think) to toggle 30fps. It's silly, but little things like that keep me playing at 30fps. I'm too used to the game at 30fps, 60 feels weird, in a way I can't precisely articulate.

ParityBit

Lol. :) That's Dark Souls' way of saying: move on to Sen's Fortress!
check the area right outside the firekeeper's cage if you haven't already. You'll get a chance to revive her later on.

I cant kill that damn knight in the hallways! There is no room and he trounces me. I tried going into the room where I got my shield way back when, but doesn't work. Any suggestions? I am using my +7 Katana. I tried the +5 winged spear too

Sullichin

I cant kill that damn knight in the hallways! There is no room and he trounces me. I tried going into the room where I got my shield way back when, but doesn't work. Any suggestions? I am using my +7 Katana. I tried the +5 winged spear too
I'm not sure what part you're talking about. What area of the game is he in and what does he look like?

Johnas

Parry or backstab.

Good advice (backstab especially), you can also try luring him back to the stairs and keeping him above you, sometimes his attempts to hit you will go over your head, but you can still hit him in the legs. It's a little cheesy, but every little hit helps in there since the hallway is so tight.

Sullichin

I am in
Undead Asylum - revisited
He is at the end of a long ass hallway.

Oh yeah he's a fucker. You'll want the item he's guarding and he drops a red titanite chunk so he's worth killing. The parry/backstab advice is good. It's a matter of knowing their attacks. When he does the stab attack, strafe behind him, lower your shield and press R1 to backstab. It's a bit safer than trying a parry

ParityBit

Oh yeah he's a fucker. You'll want the item he's guarding and he drops a red titanite chunk so he's worth killing. The parry/backstab advice is good. It's a matter of knowing their attacks. When he does the stab attack, strafe behind him, lower your shield and press R1 to backstab. It's a bit safer than trying a parry

OK I will have to pull him into one of the rooms, even with the water because there is no room to move in that hallway!

those 'black knight sword' black knights are probably the easiest to parry because if you raise your shield, they will consistently do a shield bash followed by a single sword swing. the parry timing is very easy - step back and make them miss the bash, then parry.

Except when you mess up and try to parry the shield bash!

well you're never trying to parry the first attack. either they do the shield bash and you're good to go, or they do another set of attacks and you just block and/or roll back. as long as you're not so close that the bash actually connects...but if you keep a small amount of distance, they'll whiff on it so often that it becomes easy.

Sullichin

well you're never trying to parry the first attack. either they do the shield bash and you're good to go, or they do another set of attacks and you just block and/or roll back. as long as you're not so close that the bash actually connects...but if you keep a small amount of distance, they'll whiff on it so often that it becomes easy.
yeah, i just have a stupid habit of parrying the shield bash on the black/silver knights. It's funny because I realize my mistake immediately. How the hell are they doing shield bashes with a non-greatshield anyway? lol

Seanspeed

Banned
I never really learned to parry. I know how to do it, I've seen people do it and all, but I've never put it to practice. I'm too cautious/defensive to risk it.

I love how this game allows you to develop your own viable combat style. Its very balanced in how it doesn't really punish you for playing in a particular way.

Oh, and thanks for the advice on the
Painted World
. I used a few tricks to breeze through it and will return later on my own accord!

i have what i think is a corrupt save. program crashes every time i load. i had all 10 characters slots filled, it crashes if i load 9 of them...one slot still works. all dsfix backups do the same thing.

i do have past saves with some of the character slots free that still work. oh well.

How the hell are they doing shield bashes with a non-greatshield anyway? lol

damn, i never thought of that. ha.

2AdEPT

two days into my SL1 run.

So far I have defeated Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, Capra Demon, and Gaping Dragon.

the reinforced club is proving to be much better than my hand axe. And the animation speeds are somewhat new, so it feels a bit fresh to play with it.

I also love that the R2 attack does an automatic lunge jump swing. I am not sure how many other types of weapons work that way, but it's a great way to get past enemies trying to parry you.

So far, I am using a combination of the chain mail and leather armor for my guy, but I would appreciate any recommendations on good armor combos for SL1 characters. I should probably work on getting Havel's ring sooner than later, so that will open up some more possibilities for me.

of course armour is situational but thte highest defense bang for buck per unit weight armour for most situations is the crimson set from blighttown for early game, also good curse and average magic and poison resist...late game I have not found better than logans set. Its eaasy to choose Dingy for lightning defense situations during no upgrade runs...but if you are upgrading you will have to choose. In that case I might go Dingy as sullichin suggested simply forthe high lightning resist for battling ornstein. Its always easy to sub in the gold hemmed set early game and later for any fire situations

So I just got down to the swamps in Blighttown. Still standing safely on the wooden platform. I'm guessing that the bonfire is to my right since the level design is pretty obviously pointing me that direction. But is there anything over to the left?

Booshka

of course armour is situational but thte highest defense bang for buck per unit weight armour for most situations is the crimson set from blighttown for early game, also good curse and average magic and poison resist...late game I have not found better than logans set. Its eaasy to choose Dingy for lightning defense situations during no upgrade runs...but if you are upgrading you will have to choose. In that case I might go Dingy as sullichin suggested simply forthe high lightning resist for battling ornstein. Its always easy to sub in the gold hemmed set early game and later for any fire situations

Dingy also has bonkers Magic Resist, the Dingy Robe and Blood Stained skirt have a ton of magic resist. Helps a lot against 4 Kings, Moonlight Butterfly, and surviving Soul spears to the back from Channelers.

Raide

I never really learned to parry. I know how to do it, I've seen people do it and all, but I've never put it to practice. I'm too cautious/defensive to risk it.

I love how this game allows you to develop your own viable combat style. Its very balanced in how it doesn't really punish you for playing in a particular way.

For safety, just practice on the basic grunts in Firelink. Timing is the key, since they have different attacks you have to learn but making a mistake won't murder you. Also try some different shields. If you want to make it easier, go for the smaller Buckler-type but then you do loose the 100% physical block.

It does come in handy for certain higher hp monsters. Try the Blighttown Ogres if you want a bit more practice that might actually kill you. :D

So I just got down to the swamps in Blighttown. Still standing safely on the wooden platform. I'm guessing that the bonfire is to my right since the level design is pretty obviously pointing me that direction. But is there anything over to the left?

There is one in the swamps just to the right of the Waterwheel and there is another way up high. I think they are the main two.

There is stuff all over the swamp, so take a nice loop and collect all the stuff. Just watch the leeches and fat dudes with rocks. :D

Soulhouf

yeah, i just have a stupid habit of parrying the shield bash on the black/silver knights. It's funny because I realize my mistake immediately. How the hell are they doing shield bashes with a non-greatshield anyway? lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one! BK who bash with a non great shields, Darkwraiths who do the humanity sucking animation with Dark Hand in left hand...
BTW in Demon's Souls you can even parry the shield bash which is funny.

Arjen

The crystal dude near Seath can parry with his crystal great shield, scared the bejebus out of me, 80% of my health gone in one riposte.

Bit confused by left and right given there are two entrances and it depends which way you are facing. But yes there are things to find in both directions. If you stay along the edge where the walkway is first you will hit the bonfire and then you are safe.

Did anybody else think with the area behind the bonfire that
something really bad was going to happen when you opened the chest? Kind of cool that it was nothing

i need advice:
i have only the final boss left to kill (i haven't entered
Kiln of the First Flame

do you have any tips on things i should do/know before i beat him eventually and start NG+ ?

here's what i've done:
- the only NPCs i haven't killed are
quelaag's sister, anastacia the fire keeper and patches (and some other merchants that would only be worth 1000 souls if killed)
i plan on killing them too once i'm sure i wont need them or their bonfire anymore

- i started kindling bonfires of places i often go to so i'll have 20 estus flasks on NG+, right ?

- i traded stuff with snuggly the crow

- im in the process of improving my weapons/equipment.
any advice on which weapons i should upgrade ? (i got lightning utchigatana +5 i think and some other like claymore +10 etc...). is it worth upgrading the armor (i only wear the light ones)

is there anything else i should do before NG+ starts ?

Arjen

i need advice:
i have only the final boss left to kill (i haven't entered
Kiln of the First Flame

do you have any tips on things i should do/know before i beat him eventually and start NG+ ?

here's what i've done:
- the only NPCs i haven't killed are
quelaag's sister, anastacia the fire keeper and patches (and some other merchants that would only be worth 1000 souls if killed)
i plan on killing them too once i'm sure i wont need them or their bonfire anymore

- i started kindling bonfires of places i often go to so i'll have 20 estus flasks on NG+, right ?

- i traded stuff with snuggly the crow

- im in the process of improving my weapons/equipment.
any advice on which weapons i should upgrade ? (i got lightning utchigatana +5 i think and some other like claymore +10 etc...). is it worth upgrading the armor (i only wear the light ones)

is there anything else i should do before NG+ starts ?

The wiki has a great check list for that.
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Game+Plus

chunk3rvd

In the middle of my first build with both strength and faith so I'm wondering where I should be aiming for level wise

What are considered to be the best enchantable strength scaling weapons. Happy to go 2H if I can use something crazy without meeting the requirements. Only ever used the dex weapons so looking forwar to trying out some new stuff with a different feel and play style

Also, where should I be aiming for with faith? I'll never make the 50 needed for Sunlight Spear so it seems like the highest I need is 30 for the weapon buffs. Is it worth the extra 10 going to 40 if I can afford it? Does it provide much of a damage increase above 30 faith?

Soulhouf

In the middle of my first build with both strength and faith so I'm wondering where I should be aiming for level wise

What are considered to be the best enchantable strength scaling weapons. Happy to go 2H if I can use something crazy without meeting the requirements. Only ever used the dex weapons so looking forwar to trying out some new stuff with a different feel and play style

Also, where should I be aiming for with faith? I'll never make the 50 needed for Sunlight Spear so it seems like the highest I need is 30 for the weapon buffs. Is it worth the extra 10 going to 40 if I can afford it? Does it provide much of a damage increase above 30 faith?

Yep, it's worth rising faith to 50 because the Darkmoon Talisman starts to be superior at 41 or 42 and past that the magic adjust keeps increasing significantly until 50.
A Demon Great Machete buffed with Darkmoon Blade (strongest buff spell in the game) at 50 faith and 27 str 2H is a scary murderous weapon.

ParityBit

For safety, just practice on the basic grunts in Firelink. Timing is the key, since they have different attacks you have to learn but making a mistake won't murder you. Also try some different shields. If you want to make it easier, go for the smaller Buckler-type but then you do loose the 100% physical block.

It does come in handy for certain higher hp monsters. Try the Blighttown Ogres if you want a bit more practice that might actually kill you. :D

So by Parry, do you mean hitting the left trigger (XBOX 360 controller) to swipe with your shield, then attack? Or do you mean holding your shield up? The latter did not work so well, he keeps pummeling you.

I am going to give him another try tonight.

Did anybody else think with the area behind the bonfire that
something really bad was going to happen when you opened the chest? Kind of cool that it was nothing

Haha. Totally. I would take a step and bring up my shield and spin circles, then repeat!
Once I opened the chest I spun and ran up the ladder! Nothing happened though. Was funny, I felt like a fool.

Raide

So by Parry, do you mean hitting the left trigger (XBOX 360 controller) to swipe with your shield, then attack? Or do you mean holding your shield up? The latter did not work so well, he keeps pummeling you.

I am going to give him another try tonight.

[/SPOILER]

Yes, left trigger for Parry. Shields have different timing, as do some of the weapons that cna parry. So just find one you can get along with. Like I said, the small Bucklers have a larger window for parrying, so its gives you a bit more time to get it right. After that tapping the Right Bumper will Riposte and cause damage. Depending on the weapon, will depend on how much you damage them. The front stab is always fun. :D

Also, the closer you are, the easier it can be to Parry+Riposte. You can catch them even before they fully swing and get them. This can be a bit scarier since if you mess up, you can end up hurt. Just Parry and run if you need some space to heal up.

chunk3rvd

Yep, it's worth rising faith to 50 because the Darkmoon Talisman starts to be superior at 41 or 42 and past that the magic adjust keeps increasing significantly until 50.
A Demon Great Machete buffed with Darkmoon Blade (strongest buff spell in the game) at 50 faith and 27 str 2H is a scary murderous weapon.

Cheers for the advice. How does this look for a final build then if I'm aiming for SL120:

VIT - 26
ATT - 19
END - 40
STR - 27
DEX - 20
RES - 10
INT - 9
FAI - 50

Was thinking of taking ATT to 19 for the 5 spell slots and DEX to 20 as I didn't have the strength to wield the Dragon Slayer Bow on my previous dex build and it looks fun to try out

How does that look? Any suggestions for where I might be going wrong? I may drop VIT to 25 and take INT to 10 so I can buy spells from Griggs and clear all the achievements in one build

ParityBit

Yes, left trigger for Parry. Shields have different timing, as do some of the weapons that cna parry. So just find one you can get along with. Like I said, the small Bucklers have a larger window for parrying, so its gives you a bit more time to get it right. After that tapping the Right Bumper will Riposte and cause damage. Depending on the weapon, will depend on how much you damage them. The front stab is always fun. :D

Also, the closer you are, the easier it can be to Parry+Riposte. You can catch them even before they fully swing and get them. This can be a bit scarier since if you mess up, you can end up hurt. Just Parry and run if you need some space to heal up.

OK I will try that. I will train on the knight! Probably not the best place to try that, but I have 2k souls I can spend on repairs as needed. I am not very good with backstabbing for some reason. I was going to try that way too. I think maybe I keep my shield up when I try to stab or something.

Soulhouf

Cheers for the advice. How does this look for a final build then if I'm aiming for SL120:

VIT - 26
ATT - 19
END - 40
STR - 27
DEX - 20
RES - 10
INT - 9
FAI - 50

Was thinking of taking ATT to 19 for the 5 spell slots and DEX to 20 as I didn't have the strength to wield the Dragon Slayer Bow on my previous dex build and it looks fun to try out

How does that look? Any suggestions for where I might be going wrong? I may drop VIT to 25 and take INT to 10 so I can buy spells from Griggs and clear all the achievements in one build

I would put more points into vitality because you will need it especially in PvP.

VIT - 36
ATT - 16
END - 33
STR - 27
DEX - 20
RES - 10
INT - 9
FAI - 50

moop1167

Anyone have any suggestions on a weapon for a str build? I was thinking adding some faith later on too. I'm only like SL20 now and am just getting lower burg. Been using the zweihander for now (can only wield two handed at the moment) but I know it doesn't scale with stats well so I am not sure whether to move onto something else eventually.

What's a good target for STR to be? And why should my target SL be for doing pvp?

My only other character before this was a dex build with 40 dex and 40 end using a balder side sword. I started putting points into INT for weapon buffs but at around SL 95 I decided to scrap him and start fresh.

Facism

Anyone have any suggestions on a weapon for a str build? I was thinking adding some faith later on too. I'm only like SL20 now and am just getting lower burg. Been using the zweihander for now (can only wield two handed at the moment) but I know it doesn't scale with stats well so I am not sure whether to move onto something else eventually.

What's a good target for STR to be? And why should my target SL be for doing pvp?

My only other character before this was a dex build with 40 dex and 40 end using a balder side sword. I started putting points into INT for weapon buffs but at around SL 95 I decided to scrap him and start fresh.

I started with strength and the Man Serpent Greatsword has literally been the weapon of choice for me during the first playthrough. Large Club is also good, if slow, but has a deceptively quick heavy attack. Both weapons have A scaling in STR when upgraded.

Dyno

After finishing a great Dex/Pyro run I put the game down for a few days, looked at my other games, and then jumped right back into Dark Souls. I no longer play video games, just one!

I got an idea. I wanted to be a character that uses the Greatsword of Artorias, so I need both Intelligence and Faith. In fact I wanted my pick of all the good Intelligence and Faith based weapons, plus the very best of Miracles and Sorcery, if only one or two of each. I started as a Deprived and will level my Str., Dex., Int., and Fai. into the 20's at least. I picked the Master Key (which I haven't done in previous playthroughs.)

Right off the bat the game plays very different. Deprived is tough even through the tutorial. I gathered all the free loot at Firelink and with the Master Key got into the Valley of Drakes. The Astora Straight Sword and the Dragoncrest Shield can be used even before you enter the Undead Burg. That sword is amazing for a character that is not even Level 10. I'm doing around 170 damage total, which allows me to one-shot or two-shot everything in Undead Burg! Who needs the Drake Sword?

This will be a fun playthough. Anyone ever go this route? What were your go-to weapons and armour? Also what do you think are the very best talismans and catalysts?

Defuser

Ugh, trying to get the BKGA early in the catacombs for my 20 level build but the damn wheel skellies and the black knight is taking a long time for me to clear out. I summon Leeroy to help me quicken but it still too long. I already restarted my character 5 times already and the bloody knight still won't drop it. Is there a faster way to get it?

Raide

Had a really weird/dumb moment. I have been levelling up a Bow Dude, so mainly wandering around getting souls and collecting gear. Thought I should get the Bells sorted so jumped down to Blighttown and did that bell but Sen's would not open. I had no idea. Restarted the game a few times and nothing...then I went to the Gargoyles to check them...I had not even beaten them yet. :D Felt so dumb but it was a walkover.

Ugh, trying to get the BKGA early in the catacombs for my 20 level build but the damn wheel skellies and the black knight is taking a long time for me to clear out. I summon Leeroy to help me quicken but it still too long. I already restarted my character 5 times already and the bloody knight still won't drop it. Is there a faster way to get it?

did you pump up your humanity?

Raide

Orns and Smo down!

Quick question, I have the Lordvessel, do I have to kill Boob Princess to move on or can she stay alive?

Top Bottom