• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

Orns and Smo down!

Quick question, I have the Lordvessel, do I have to kill Boob Princess to move on or can she stay alive?

You don't have to kill her, unless
you want to make Anor Londo dark for invasions. It also opens up the chamber to Gwyondolin, allowing you to fight him without getting that ring in the catacombs

Raide

You don't have to kill her, unless
you want to make Anor Londo dark for invasions. It also opens up the chamber to Gwyondolin, allowing you to fight him without getting that ring in the catacombs

Interesting. What ring would that be? By accident on my other character, I found the dude right at the bottom and attacked him, only to find out the Firekeeper hates my guts now. :D

JRW

Holy crap after 3 days of off and on attempts I finally beat Orstein & Smough and I did it solo, Felt good (My 1st playthrough sorry if its not a big deal to the veterans lol), I'd have to say it was one of the most engrossing boss battles Ive experienced in a video game.

http://youtu.be/Gx4fzb59yTg

What on earth are you doing with 50 humanity and 30,000 souls that early in the game? :/

Farmed humanity down in the depths near the bonfire where all the rats are. Used humanity to fully regain health in some boss fights.

What do you mean?

There are 2 spots where what I guess you would call the geography of a spot doesn't match the textures. One of them is the branch you cross going up towards the shortcut the Firelink. You can cross it fine, but on the way back across it there is a spot where your progress just stops and going forward pushes you off the branch. Died there twice in a row so I lost everything.

The one that is far worse is between the Blighttown swamps bonfire and the giants with boulders. I haven't died there but it is very poorly made spot. You kind of count on being able to make it up on dry land down there and then you run into what feels like an invisible wall that you have to go around. Go from the bonfire to where the merchant is, across water there, then you would normally go left to the pillar. The closest corner that most people would aim for you cant run up it. You can go down it normally and your movement matches the textures, but it's like there is a calf high ledge there that the character cant run up but should be able too. With the way the area is laid out people should be able to count on getting onto land when it looks like they should be able to.

With the way Blight town is it is one place where you should absolutely be able to count on your footing matching the textures and it doesn't in two bad spots.

There is that section where you cross over some branches or roots near the water wheel thing and it's fine going one way but it's always a hassle trying to go back. I don't know if that counts as a texturing problem though.

Yes! You understand how I have suffered!

Seanspeed

Banned
Farmed humanity down in the depths near the bonfire where all the rats are. Used humanity to fully regain health in some boss fights.
Well there's nothing but a lesson to learn there. You were bound to lose that 50 humanity at some point or other.

And spend souls when you can. Find a bonfire and level up what you can and then you have little to lose when you go forwards. Makes dying and improving a much less frustrating experience.

Also, I dealt with the problem of losing all 20,000 souls from the boss there from those branches. I know how you feel.

2AdEPT

It's not just you, I personally can't make that roll at 60fps for the life of me. Press backspace (I think) to toggle 30fps. It's silly, but little things like that keep me playing at 30fps. I'm too used to the game at 30fps, 60 feels weird, in a way I can't precisely articulate.

For me the 60 is almost mandatory..not only is the aesthetic better...but the game play is far more fluid and realistic...i used tobe in the "lets not get snobby" camp...now I am full two feet in the "developers must try to get the best frame rate possible for all their games" camp....it is just mandatory for PC.

The jump in question is makable but you have to swith to the "jump" animation, not the roll. Start your sprint at the border of the green, make a 50degree L turn at the edge of the gap in question and hop on the ledge....takes practice for sure but what aspect of souls games don't require a littel practice?

There are 2 spots where what I guess you would call the geography of a spot doesn't match the textures. One of them is the branch you cross going up towards the shortcut the Firelink. You can cross it fine, but on the way back across it there is a spot where your progress just stops and going forward pushes you off the branch. Died there twice in a row so I lost everything.

The one that is far worse is between the Blighttown swamps bonfire and the giants with boulders. I haven't died there but it is very poorly made spot. You can actually roll over the on in firelink but it must be timed a little earlier than you think.

Holy crap after 3 days of off and on attempts I finally beat Orstein & Smough and I did it solo, Felt good (My 1st playthrough sorry if its not a big deal to the veterans lol), I'd have to say it was one of the most engrossing boss battles Ive experienced in a video game.

great work...your long health bar, high endurance and long reach weapn and eagle shield served you well in that fight....as a vet the only thing you could have done different was used fire on orn and lightning on smu....orn is particularly resistant to lightning. I recently soloed them for the first time ever...I love coop for that fight...but when solo I had base vitality and low endurnace....just hated that ornstein float in your face move......its a hard fight for any vet or new player alike...congrats.

Yes! You understand how I have suffered!

I understand, never died on the firelink one as by the time I got to it in 60 fps I was learned from the blighttown one. Freakishly counterintuitve remedy but beleive me IT WORKS!

face BACKWARDS; press circle (which will do that backstep animation...it is a hop back and clears the abraisive sticking points

So I just got done with Blighttown, although there are other connected areas I havent gone to yet. Is it too early to
go back to the asylum? And is Sens the last place I should go to?

Also, I have the Balders, Uchigatana, and Washing Pole. I like all 3 so which one has the best upgrade path. Thinking that since I've gotten the BSS upgraded this far maybe I should stick with it?

2AdEPT

So I just got done with Blighttown, although there are other connected areas I havent gone to yet. Is it too early to
go back to the asylum? And is Sens the last place I should go to?

Also, I have the Balders, Uchigatana, and Washing Pole. I like all 3 so which one has the best upgrade path. Thinking that since I've gotten the BSS upgraded this far maybe I should stick with it?

you should have gone back to the asylum before blightton for the rusty ring which would make rolling in the swamp possible. You don't have to do everything at the asylum....there are a feew surprises though and some players (me included) had a lot of trouble completing the asylum early on....I avoided that problem until later though and always went back for thqt ring. Just don't go there with lots of souls and humaity and all is well.

Lots of people love the BBS but it is to boring for me and its reach obviously pales to the washing pole....the uchi has the same moveset as the pole but its reach is like bringna pencil to a sword fight....these are fine for thise that like them though as they have the best DPS in the game.....the pole is the best weapon in the game imo becuase of the reach and r2 while running stab move.....and if you buff it with darkmoon or sunlight blade it almost isn;t fair for the opposition. Two hits to the face of that dragon on the bridge and he fried with wahing pole and darkmoon blade buff. You need 18 str iirc to two hand...put the rest in dex.

I didnt mention that I already have the BSS up to +7. But still plenty of game to go so when I have the stats for washing pole I will probably switch. I checked and the washing pole requires 20 in strength.

Firebrand

Beat the game the other night, first playthrough took about 95 hours. Awesome game, really loved exploring the world and discovering the little shortcuts, too bad late-game
there's few shortcuts and you just warp around instead, I think they could have been a bit more clever than that.

I whined mentioned this earlier but my biggest wish for improving DS2 would be clarifying the game mechanics and making your options more visible, in particular regarding weapons upgrades. For instance, I never really used boss souls for anything because I didn't know what could make with them. Well, I did make the
Greatsword of Artorias
in an attempt to get to the DLC stuff, which was a bit of a waste as I couldn't even use it due to the Int-requirement. Had I known it existed I would have absolutely loved the
Greatshield of Artorias
instead (ended up using Black Iron and Eagle shields for most of the game) but alas, it wasn't even in the list because my shield wasn't in the right level range. That they're listing (spoiling) souls of upcoming bosses rather than showing what you could potentially make with the boss souls you do have seems a bit backwards.

At the same time, I'd hate it if any attempts at making the game more accessible means more handholding and making the game more linear, which is what kind of ruined Zelda for me.

Wasn't able to get in on any co-op, perhaps I was too overlevelled to redo early bosses. Did try a little PvP, and got absolutely destroyed. Favorite moment was invading the forest, bowing and getting kicked off the ledge I spawned at while doing so.

But yeah. My favorite game of 2012 I think. Can't wait for DS2 and this time I want to be there on day 1, but to be honest I wouldn't mind if they wait a bit with releasing it, hehe.

2AdEPT

Anyone have any suggestions on a weapon for a str build? I was thinking adding some faith later on too. I'm only like SL20 now and am just getting lower burg. Been using the zweihander for now (can only wield two handed at the moment) but I know it doesn't scale with stats well so I am not sure whether to move onto something else eventually.

What's a good target for STR to be? And why should my target SL be for doing pvp?

My only other character before this was a dex build with 40 dex and 40 end using a balder side sword. I started putting points into INT for weapon buffs but at around SL 95 I decided to scrap him and start fresh.

There isn't much point in taking str past 36. This enables you to two hand the heaviest weapons (with the exception of smu's hammer maybe.)

You really can't do str without at least trying the paladin leroy mallet and the dragon king great axe...the AOE effects are very cool. For the dragon weapons, you will need repair poweder to re-power the AOE.

I didnt mention that I already have the BSS up to +7. But still plenty of game to go so when I have the stats for washing pole I will probably switch. I checked and the washing pole requires 20 in strength.

no.....no ....don't take it that high 14 iirc is the ACTUAL number to two hand....never raise your str to do anything more than two hand...it s a huge waste as when you get good you will ONLY two hand anyway...you just switch back and forth between shield and two handing with the triangle button.

+7 is not that high actually....I usually have two of my main weapons at +15 then three others at +14 as the slab is not an easy drop....chunks on the other hand are EASy to farm in new londo, anything lower can be BOUGHT outright witht he plethora of souls you soon will be getting .... so don't be afraid to start upgrading like a madman and get more than one weapon upgraded:

Great scythe, washing pole, BSS (only if it drops...don't go out of my way for it), Gargoyles halberd, Black bow of Pharis, Grass crest shield, are staples for me and usually all get upgraded to max each playthrough.

Soulhouf

Well done! That's how you do it.
Other beginners should watch this and learn.
I said this hundreds of times but Eagle Shield is your best ally for that fight.

no.....no ....don't take it that high 14 iirc is the ACTUAL number to two hand....never raise your str to do anything more than two hand...it s a huge waste as when you get good you will ONLY two hand anyway...you just switch back and forth between shield and two handing with the triangle button.

Yep 14 is enough.

Defuser

Goddamn, GFWL is such a piece of crap.

I clearly connected to LIVE but I don't see any signs,bloodstains or even white phantoms which means I can't co-op/pvp.

ParityBit

So I killed that Knight I was stuck on. Man that felt good (only because he was such a bitch) But then I found the one near my old cell ..... using the tactics I learned on the first (try after try) I killed him with ease. It was actually kinda cool :)

So I have a pyro spell which I can not use. It says Pyromancy 2.
Giant Chaos Fireball
How do I equip this?

Sullichin

So I killed that Knight I was stuck on. Man that felt good (only because he was such a bitch) But then I found the one near my old cell ..... using the tactics I learned on the first (try after try) I killed him with ease. It was actually kinda cool :)

Giant Chaos Fireball
How do I equip this?
That spell takes two slots. You can up your attunement stat to get more.
it does the same basic damage as a regular great fireball, but it creates a lava pool on the ground for a little bit, similar to the Quelaag fight, which if your enemy steps in can do a ton more damage. It's really good in PVP if you're good at using it, to make someone chase you through the lava. The description says it scales damage with your humanity, but iirc, it doesn't :p

Beat the game the other night, first playthrough took about 95 hours. Awesome game, really loved exploring the world and discovering the little shortcuts, too bad late-game
there's few shortcuts and you just warp around instead, I think they could have been a bit more clever than that.
Congratulations on finishing! NG+ is fun and all but so is starting a new character, you'll be able to get through the game much faster than you were before.

For me the 60 is almost mandatory..not only is the aesthetic better...but the game play is far more fluid and realistic...i used tobe in the "lets not get snobby" camp...now I am full two feet in the "developers must try to get the best frame rate possible for all their games" camp....it is just mandatory for PC.

The jump in question is makable but you have to swith to the "jump" animation, not the roll. Start your sprint at the border of the green, make a 50degree L turn at the edge of the gap in question and hop on the ledge....takes practice for sure but what aspect of souls games don't require a littel practice?

I understand, never died on the firelink one as by the time I got to it in 60 fps I was learned from the blighttown one. Freakishly counterintuitve remedy but beleive me IT WORKS!

face BACKWARDS; press circle (which will do that backstep animation...it is a hop back and clears the abraisive sticking points

Oh I definitely agree with you, highest (locked) fps possible is a priority. I play all my other PC games at 60 except for Far Cry 3 which I lock at 30 to keep all settings at max. 60fps is great but a locked framerate is more important than anything for me, I can't stand drops to 45 from 60. I get small drops at 60fps in Dark Souls and it gives a weird effect of some parts of an an animation seemingly going by faster than others. It doesn't even happen very often but it's not something I have to think about at 30fps. I also constantly get stuck at bonfires with the fps unlock on. The game kinda feels like a flip book when you switch it back to 30fps, but you quickly get used to it :p Hopefully Dark Souls II will be better optimized for PC and allow for 60fps+ out of the box.

Nice! Beating O&S solo is always an accomplishment in my book. Lightning Gargoyle's Halberd was my weapon of choice my first playthrough. I love that thing. Anyone complaining about the eagle shield being nerfed, watch this video. It's still very useful in capable hands.

I H8 Memes I've fallen off the slippery ledges in blighttown much to my dismay plenty of times, I know the feel. But I've never noticed any areas with texture problems like you described

Goddamn, GFWL is such a piece of crap.

I clearly connected to LIVE but I don't see any signs,bloodstains or even white phantoms which means I can't co-op/pvp.

The online matching implementation in this game, especially PC, is such a travesty. I've been playing Demons Souls recently, and you can't drop your summon sign and go make a cup of coffee, because you'll probably be summoned right away. But I think outside of the connection problems, the online is better realized here.
When you start the game, it begins to collect a pool of IP addresses to connect to, right from the title screen. Sometimes you have to keep your game on for quite some time before you get a lot of IP addresses in the pool for the online to actually appear to be working for you.

Yeah but I dont like to 2 hand. I just like the look and feel of one-handed with shield combat. Maybe save the Washing Pole for my second playthrough if weapons carry over to a newgame +.

Raide

Well done! That's how you do it.
Other beginners should watch this and learn.
I said this hundreds of times but Eagle Shield is your best ally for that fight.

My first time on my Sorcerer, I died instantly. Second time I utterly cheesed Orns with Soul Spear and downed him in a few shots. Taking down Smo was easy from range and he soon died. :D I get the feeling hand to hand with these dudes will be very different.

Giant Chaos Fireball
How do I equip this?

Haha! It does feel awesome when you starting dropping them but they can still catch you out. Especially in more crowded areas that you did not scout .:p

The progression of 'getting murdered by stuff, learning their tricks and murdering them back' is the thing that I love about Dark Souls.

oracrest

I'm making more progress on my SL1 build.

I defeated! Queelaga, Ceaseless Discharge, and the Iron Golem. Finally reached Anor Londo and lost 50k souls at Captain asshole archer knight.

I'm a little nervous about O&S.

ParityBit

I cant beat the
Stray Demon.
I think I may have to leave and come back. The fall almost kills me and I cant drink before attacked.

OK I am having analysis paralysis when it comes to armor. Out of what I have it seems the
Crimson set
is the best?? I have
Leather, Black Leather, Hard Leather, Knight, Wanderer, tattered, Crimson, Dingy, Shadow and Balder!
I want to upgrade a set, but not all! I have been running around with Knights but I was thinking maybe change to something else. I did not expect the
Crimson
to be the best raw stats though.

Any help?

Raide

I cant beat the
Stray Demon.
I think I may have to leave and come back. The fall almost kills me and I cant drink before attacked.

OK I am having analysis paralysis when it comes to armor. Out of what I have it seems the
Crimson set
is the best?? I have
Leather, Black Leather, Hard Leather, Knight, Wanderer, tattered, Crimson, Dingy, Shadow and Balder!
I want to upgrade a set, but not all! I have been running around with Knights but I was thinking maybe change to something else. I did not expect the
Crimson
to be the best raw stats though.

Any help?

Boss tactics. Not sure if it was best to spoiler it just in case.

Hrmm...I did have a few issues with him. As soon as you drop, head to the left or right. If you stay in the middle he usually mashes you up. He has a pretty crazy reach if you try and stay away from him.

Stay behind him and when he does the AoE attack, jump back a few paces. Just as it ends, jump in for a stab. Just keep circling around him but remember to get out of the way slightly when he jumps in the air. Get Magic defence for the AoE attack. Crest Shield if you have it works well.

Weapon wise, either something with a jumping forward attack, since you can catch him just after he AoE's, stab him and get back to safety. Bleed Weapons can be handy. Not sure what you have yet in terms of gear.

If you want a handy method, you can use Dung Piles on him. Just make sure you have your own antidote. :D

ParityBit

Boss tactics. Not sure if it was best to spoiler it just in case.

Hrmm...I did have a few issues with him. As soon as you drop, head to the left or right. If you stay in the middle he usually mashes you up. He has a pretty crazy reach if you try and stay away from him.

Stay behind him and when he does the AoE attack, jump back a few paces. Just as it ends, jump in for a stab. Just keep circling around him but remember to get out of the way slightly when he jumps in the air. Get Magic defence for the AoE attack. Crest Shield if you have it works well.

Weapon wise, either something with a jumping forward attack, since you can catch him just after he AoE's, stab him and get back to safety. Bleed Weapons can be handy. Not sure what you have yet in terms of gear.

If you want a handy method, you can use Dung Piles on him. Just make sure you have your own antidote. :D

I will have to try those! Thanks! Any advice on the armor?

Raide

Oh I mean in general. Not just for this fight.

Hrmmm...kinda depends on how you play. I have a few characters now and my Warrior dude is running around in full Havel's hitting things with the Dragonbone weapon. Things go splat. :D

I tend to run around in lighter stuff, maybe swap out to poison gear for Blighttown etc, since I like to get out of the way quickly if things go downhill.

In all honestly, keep collecting everything and see how you get on! If you get your Endurance high enough, you can roll like mad in heavy gear. Just remember that some gear can be upgraded, some cannot.

ParityBit

Hrmmm...kinda depends on how you play. I have a few characters now and my Warrior dude is running around in full Havel's hitting things with the Dragonbone weapon. Things go splat. :D

I tend to run around in lighter stuff, maybe swap out to poison gear for Blighttown etc, since I like to get out of the way quickly if things go downhill.

In all honestly, keep collecting everything and see how you get on! If you get your Endurance high enough, you can roll like mad in heavy gear. Just remember that some gear can be upgraded, some cannot.

Problem is that I don't know what upgrading it will do. Especially with the different shards (Don't know where to get the ones for the Shadow armor)

Raide

Problem is that I don't know what upgrading it will do. Especially with the different shards (Don't know where to get the ones for the Shadow armor)

If you Upgrade at a Blacksmith, it usually ups its basic stats. On the left will be the normal, on the right with be the Blue Stat Upgrades visible if you choose to make it +1. I seem to spend more time on upgrading my weapons but armour upgrades can make things a bit easier.

Early on you will collect the lower bits for upgrades and as you progress you will come across the later stuff. All of the fancy weapons and armour usually need all the high-end items. You can get the standard stuff to +5 at least on shard purchased from the Undead Parish Blacksmith Andre.

Shadow Armour upgrade is usually found on the Crystal Lizards, which can be a pain if you have no idea where they all are. :D

ParityBit

If you Upgrade at a Blacksmith, it usually ups its basic stats. On the left will be the normal, on the right with be the Blue Stat Upgrades visible if you choose to make it +1. I seem to spend more time on upgrading my weapons but armour upgrades can make things a bit easier.

Early on you will collect the lower bits for upgrades and as you progress you will come across the later stuff. All of the fancy weapons and armour usually need all the high-end items. You can get the standard stuff to +5 at least on shard purchased from the Undead Parish Blacksmith Andre.

Shadow Armour upgrade is usually found on the Crystal Lizards, which can be a pain if you have no idea where they all are. :D

Right now I have my pyro and Knights armor at +3. But I don't know what the shadow armor would be at +3. Or the rest for that matter! Although I only have 4 shards for it and no idea if it can be farmed.

Oh I mean in general. Not just for this fight.

Check out:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Armor+Comparison+and+Best+Armor

For some ideas. I think it covers it well.

Having said that I find as long as you can roll around it doesn't matter a whole lot. If things hit you, you are going to hurt regardless. If they don't hit you, then it doesn't really matter what you wear.

My general tactic is to wear the havel ring and armour until such time as I have something upgraded that surpasses it (and allows me to roll faster). But generally I'm sporting something pretty deadly in the weapon department so it doesn't matter all that much. Black Iron, Paladin and Elite Knight are good choices to upgrade to me depending on how much you want to carry. You probably will not need to do much till NG+ besides curse resistance in a few places (you'll know when it happens) so don't stress about it because at that NG+ stage you'll upgrade them all easily and choose your favourite based pretty much on look (the differences end up being so inconsequential)

So spoilers for where I am
just beat Quelaag, so I have the 2 other areas down in Blighttown swamps (the great hollow/ash lake and demon ruins, Sens fortress, Drake Valley, new lando ruins, or go back to the undead asylum.
I think that covers all of my options. Which areas are appropriate for me to move to now?

just beat Quelaag, so I have the 2 other areas down in Blighttown swamps (the great hollow/ash lake and demon ruins, Sens fortress, Drake Valley, new lando ruins, or go back to the undead asylum.
I think that covers all of my options. Which areas are appropriate for me to move to now?

I would go:

If you want a nice bit of armor, run into demon ruins and grab it from the end of the path. Then you will probably die but that is no biggy. Then do Undead asylum because there is an item there you will want for the area after Sens, which will be your next stop.

Drake's can be done with New Londo Ruins and I would do great hollow after Anor Londo since you will want to be able to teleport back.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

I defeated! Queelaga, Ceaseless Discharge, and the Iron Golem. Finally reached Anor Londo and lost 50k souls at Captain asshole archer knight.

Cool, another SL1 runner. Good luck!

I just started the DLC area today on my SL1 character. I'm pretty scared, since the DLC bosses are the ones I am least familiar with, and the toughest ones are resistant to pyro. All other areas in the main game are cleared.

O&S weren't so bad for me because pyro works well on them, and I've fought them enough to know how to dodge most of their moves.
Four Kings
was the boss that gave me the most trouble, because I usually just cheesed them with heavy armor. Other difficult bosses for this run were
Stray Demon
(that aoe) and
Ceaseless Discharge
, which surprised me because he usually doesn't give me much trouble.

ParityBit

Check out:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Armor+Comparison+and+Best+Armor

For some ideas. I think it covers it well.

Having said that I find as long as you can roll around it doesn't matter a whole lot. If things hit you, you are going to hurt regardless. If they don't hit you, then it doesn't really matter what you wear.

My general tactic is to wear the havel ring and armour until such time as I have something upgraded that surpasses it (and allows me to roll faster). But generally I'm sporting something pretty deadly in the weapon department so it doesn't matter all that much. Black Iron, Paladin and Elite Knight are good choices to upgrade to me depending on how much you want to carry. You probably will not need to do much till NG+ besides curse resistance in a few places (you'll know when it happens) so don't stress about it because at that NG+ stage you'll upgrade them all easily and choose your favourite based pretty much on look (the differences end up being so inconsequential)

Thank you for the link and suggestions!

Hilariously accurate.

tumblr_mf7fbjHT3I1rdjqh8o1_400.gif

2AdEPT

Yeah but I dont like to 2 hand. I just like the look and feel of one-handed with shield combat. Maybe save the Washing Pole for my second playthrough if weapons carry over to a newgame +.

Well if you want to boost strength don't let me stop you...it is worht it for the pole...you will end up doing what's called a 'quality' build with even dex and str modifyiers for damage. You will want to get the dragonslayer great bow if you go this route....it has a 20 requirement for both str and dex similar to the pole.

No shame iin that....I had to get soulhof who was also SL1 (no upgrades) to help me out...I can barely solo them with upgrades let alone nothing....my personal preference just to get through is to off ornstein asap. The floating into me with poor stability was hard to take even at SL 30 or so the last time I did it with my melee only knight weapons quality build. Pyro will be the way to go with your SL1 if you allow it. If you wan tto play on edge go red tearstone with the dusk ring to increase uses of base fireballs ( the half health hit don't matter with tearstone!!!)....although the damage is less per shot, with 24 uses the base fireballs do more damage overall than 16 orbs or only 8 chaos fireballs.

Great Hollow/Ash Lake - a very nice and useful but short couple of areas. BUT You will have to make your way OUT again which is the pain in the ass here. Ash Lake is best left until you have an item a little later on that allows you to warp between bonfires.

Demon Ruins - You can do the boss here now, he's one of those easy mode bosses, but you only really get one shot at it to do it the very easy way. After that Demon Ruins gets a bit more difficult, and again you will have to make your way out because you can't warp yet, and the way forward is blocked until you do.

New Londo - entirely doable now, there's a very important ember in there, but the boss you can't do yet until you kill Sif.

Sen's Fortress. The way to go! ;-)

chunk3rvd

My pad had just stopped working with Dark Souls for no reason

Running a PS3 pad, emulating a 360 controller through MotioninJoy but haven't had any problems before this. Checked Hotline Miami and Magical Drop and it works as normal for those. It shows up as a 360 controller in the device manager as well and all the buttons and sticks etc all work as normal. It just doesn't control anything in DS :(

Has anyone had anything similar before and does anyone have any ideas I can try?

Edit: Forgot to mention - the home key still brings up the GFWL menu so it's definitely still recognising the pad

Great Hollow/Ash Lake - a very nice and useful but short couple of areas. BUT You will have to make your way OUT again which is the pain in the ass here. Ash Lake is best left until you have an item a little later on that allows you to warp between bonfires.

Demon Ruins - You can do the boss here now, he's one of those easy mode bosses, but you only really get one shot at it to do it the very easy way. After that Demon Ruins gets a bit more difficult, and again you will have to make your way out because you can't warp yet, and the way forward is blocked until you do.

New Londo - entirely doable now, there's a very important ember in there, but the boss you can't do yet until you kill Sif.

Sen's Fortress. The way to go! ;-)

Could you expand on 1 and 2?

With 1 do you mean
That there is no bonfire in there to save at or does the area change in some way that makes it more difficult to get out of?

And for 2
Exactly how is the boss fight only easy the first time? It just sounds like these 2 areas would be somewhat easy for me and it would be nice to be done with all things Blighttwon related

Top Bottom