• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

En-ou

Try tilting the camera to look straight down when navigating through the swinging blades. It helps get your bearing on just when you are in their path, and when you are in a safe spot.

3D says hi :) it makes all these parts so much fun and not just guessing since you can actually see the distance.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Actually I found this part really easy playing in 3D. Its those damn rolling balls. Oh, and getting knocked off the walkways from monsters swinging at me!

It seems really cool. Minus all the deaths! ;) I try to look down hallways to see if I can find an alcove or something to run to, but most of the time there isn't one!
I had the best death ever in Sen's.

I got fucking two-hit comboed by a boulder. It knocked me down to the ledge below, then rolled down to the ledge and finished me off before I could recover.

I am trying to use no pyro on this run. I'll use it sparingly if I need to get back to some souls to get through an annoying enemy, but not on the bosses. I have almost gotten Ornstein down, but have yet to kill one of them. I'm also not summoning any help. It's pretty hard. This is the first bottleneck for sure.
Are you using a fire element weapon? If you don't but have some patience, maybe run back to visit Vamos and make one.

I agree with not summoning help. An SL1 run would probably be too easy with summoned help. I'm using pyro on my run, and it already makes probably too much of a difference, though I'm gonna get slapped silly by bosses that are resistant to fire... namely, the only DLC bosses I have left to fight. :(

oracrest

Are you using a fire element weapon? If you don't but have some patience, maybe run back to visit Vamos and make one.

I agree with not summoning help. An SL1 run would probably be too easy with summoned help. I'm using pyro on my run, and it already makes probably too much of a difference, though I'm gonna get slapped silly by bosses that are resistant to fire... namely, the only DLC bosses I have left to fight. :(

I am using a lightning reinforced club +5, but I stocked up on a few more reinforced clubs, with the intention of leveling up a fire version. I was curious how duel wielding the two of them would go :)

I defeated Sif last night, placed the lordvessel, and made my way up through to the Duke's Archives bonfire. I am not sure where I want to go from here. I can either try fighting Seath (which I feel will be an exhausting series of attempts before I take him down,) drain New Londo, or jump into the DLC areas.

A few interesting pictures I took while playing. Check out what Seigmeyer looks like!

871A675F-A8DC-4E28-BF36-6610B0B65A76-2792-000000D97855C99E.jpg

And check out my Pinwheel build ;P
35E2A745-E7DC-445E-8376-B0BE8675F9B0-2792-000000AC7BE06FD2.jpg

Akuun

Pinwheels everywhere!

Congrats on getting the Lord Vessel! I'd suggest heading down to make that fire club now. You don't need to do Tomb yet, but you'll soon have a ton of spare souls to use, and you might as well put them into upgrading weapons.

Seath is a relatively straightforward fight as long as you're patient about it. Just keep an eye out for his AoE. In my run, I actually got his tail solo, because I threw a few Greater Combustions on his tail while he was stunned after I broke the crystal.

I don't think lightning/fire elements are mutually exclusive often enough to merit dual-wielding them :p Though I'm toying with the idea of holding a light crossbow in my offhand for boss fights where a shield will be mostly useless.

I'd say Four Kings is probably my hardest SL1 run fight so far, but that's because I never had much experience dodging them since I usually just cheesed them with heavy armor in my other playthroughs.

I saved the DLC for last, when I could farm chunks and upgrade my equipment as much as I wanted before going in. I suspect the DLC bosses will be the hardest ones in an SL1 run, and I wanted to be ready before going in.

Raide

Is Dual Wielding actually fun in Dark Souls? I always end up with Sword and Shield but I really want to try something a bit different. I am guessing you can still parry with a weapon the the off-hand right?

Soulhouf

I am using a lightning reinforced club +5, but I stocked up on a few more reinforced clubs, with the intention of leveling up a fire version. I was curious how duel wielding the two of them would go :)

I defeated Sif last night, placed the lordvessel, and made my way up through to the Duke's Archives bonfire. I am not sure where I want to go from here. I can either try fighting Seath (which I feel will be an exhausting series of attempts before I take him down,) drain New Londo, or jump into the DLC areas.

A few interesting pictures I took while playing. Check out what Seigmeyer looks like!

871A675F-A8DC-4E28-BF36-6610B0B65A76-2792-000000D97855C99E.jpg

And check out my Pinwheel build ;P
35E2A745-E7DC-445E-8376-B0BE8675F9B0-2792-000000AC7BE06FD2.jpg

Haha that's awesome :D

I suggest you make a chaos Reinforced Club. That's the strongest weapon for a SL1 run and it will be very helpful in the combat against 4K. You need to always have 10 active humanities on you but it's worth it. Just switch to the lightning one and put the ring of sacrifice when you go to retrieve your bloodstain.

Akuun

Is Dual Wielding actually fun in Dark Souls? I always end up with Sword and Shield but I really want to try something a bit different. I am guessing you can still parry with a weapon the the off-hand right?
I haven't found it terribly useful - If I don't want to use a shield, I just two-hand a weapon instead. Though some people PvP with a whip in the offhand to hit through shields, and there is some use in having a fast weapon on your off-hand if your main weapon is big and slow.

I made a shieldless run with a character that wound up mostly two-handing some big sword or another throughout the run, and I have to say it was a lot of fun. It also taught me how to roll much better, to the point where I usually prefer rolling to blocking these days.

Certain off-hand weapons can still parry, but not all of them do.

oracrest

Haha that's awesome :D

I suggest you make a chaos Reinforced Club. That's the strongest weapon for a SL1 run and it will be very helpful in the combat against 4K. You need to always have 10 active humanities on you but it's worth it. Just switch to the lightning one and put the ring of sacrifice when you go to retrieve your bloodstain.

Nice, i will start a chaos club as well. I have a fire +6 going, but my lightning one is still working best for me.

I went into the DLC last night, and took down the Sanctuary Guardian.

Akuun

Nice, i will start a chaos club as well. I have a fire +6 going, but my lightning one is still working best for me.

I went into the DLC last night, and took down the Sanctuary Guardian.
If you want still more damage output, consider using the Red Tearstone Ring to "hyper mode" bosses.

It actually makes more sense for SL1/glass cannon characters because it's not like you're counting on your ability to take hits during boss fights, anyway.

Booshka

Whats a quality build?

Take your Strength to 27 or 28 for best 2H STR scaling and weapon requirements, and your Dexterity to 40. If you dont care too much about leveling, take your Strength to 40 so your one hand scaling goes up. Now every weapon that has any combination of STR/DEX scaling (C/C, D/C, C/D, E/A, E/B, B/E, etc) will do a ton of damage at +15. Claymore, Halberd, Zwei, Composite Bow, Murakumo, Longsword, and a plethora of other weapons are excellent "Quality" weapons.

It allows you to use nearly every weapon with excellent pure physical damage. Biggest problem is having enough Slabs to reinforce everything, but you can farm Chunks to get to +14 on a bunch of weapons, then Slab the ones you like. All that Darkwraith Chunk farming should yield a few Slabs on top of the ones you get from Playthroughs.

Booshka

In Sen's Fortress ...
Can you farm anything from the knight with the shield and mace? Is it worth it? I notice he respawns.

Large Titanite Shards, his armor, shield and three weapons (Mace, Greataxe, Greatsword) He and the other two Balder knights close by is a pretty good farming run for Shards, items and souls.

KarmaCow

I don't think farming the knight is worthwhile. I found that farming large titanite shards from the slugs at the bottom of Blighttown to be faster. Though if you really want a Balder Side Sword, it might be worth it to kill the knight each lap.

OK I have these bosses and locations available to me. Which should I go for first?

Moonlight Butterfly
Sif
Stray Demon
Iron Golem

The Great Hallow/Ash Lake
New Lando Ruins
Demon Ruins

Also not sure which armor set I should be upgrading. Or if I even own a set worth upgrading. Right now I have

Elite Knight Set
Eastern Set
And the set that includes the helm of the wise. Not sure if it has a name

As far as I can see those are the only sets I have that arent light weight agility type sets (like leather) or mage type sets. I just finished everything but the boss at Sens and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed any armor sets.

KarmaCow

For bosses I'd say
Iron Golem just to finish off Sens Fortress.

As for armour, I like the Elite Knight Set though it's mostly for the look than the actual stats. I think the full Elite Knight Set has a poise bonus along with the higher poise on each which is good for not staggering from attacks, though that in itself can be bad.

Seanspeed

Banned
OK I have these bosses and locations available to me. Which should I go for first?

Moonlight Butterfly
Sif
Stray Demon
Iron Golem

New Lando Ruins
Demon Ruins

Also not sure which armor set I should be upgrading. Or if I even own a set worth upgrading. Right now I have

Elite Knight Set
Eastern Set

As far as I can see those are the only sets I have that arent light weight agility type sets (like leather) or mage type sets. I just finished everything but the boss at Sens and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed any armor sets.
You've missed the Stone set, which you might well be interested in if you're not going lightweight.

Oh yea, and just beat O&S after 3 days of trying. I was nearly ready to give up on the game. Had to summon and even then still barely managed. Holy hell.
It was nice doing runs getting there, as it netted me at least 8000 souls each time, so I could buy a Twinkling Titanite each attempt basically

No I got the Stone Set, it's just too heavy for me to wear right now. I consider the sets I have right now to be medium, while set like the Iron sets and stone sets are heavy.

I would do the Moonlight Butterfly and Iron Golem, two of the easiest bosses in the game. Leave the others till you can warp between bonfires.

I find it's best to mix and match the armour sets so you get a bit of everything stat-wise. My go-to outfit is something like stone leggings, elite gauntlets and dingy robe, so I'm getting poise and some poison/magic type resistances too, and with Havel's Ring I still have fast roll, switching out Wolf Ring in the other slot for situational rings when needed (magic boost, item discovery etc).

Steam crashed while I was playing Dark Souls but DS kept playing. Closed DS and restarted steam and now I'm getting a sync needed message that says it will overwrite my old data.

Steam crashed while I was playing Dark Souls but DS kept playing. Closed DS and restarted steam and now I'm getting a sync needed message that says it will overwrite my old data.

EDIT: Wait, nm. Misread.

So it's the Steam Cloud warning? Not sure of the best thing to do there. Perhaps backup your save manually and then see what happens?

Hellcrow

8 hours in, in the depths now, and experienced my first invasion!

Tried to sneak up on the invader by hitting him by surprise when he walked out of a corridor. Missed horribly and get destroyed by spells and what not. I suppose next time I should be more honorable with my PvP encounters. My character has no spells, only a big ass black knight sword and shield. (I use arrows and firebombs for range.)

Somehow there were 2 steams running. The second steam I opened didnt have the correct save but closing them both down and opening Steam again fixed the problem.

Somehow there were 2 steams running. The second steam I opened didnt have the correct save but closing them both down and opening Steam again fixed the problem.

Yeah I had that the other night. Was a pretty scary experience until I shut everything down.

Moonlight Butterfly
Sif
Stray Demon
Iron Golem

New Lando Ruins
Demon Ruins

Elite Knight Set
Eastern Set

Elite Knight Set is the go there. There are a few better pieces of armour once upgraded, but it is right up there in terms of bang for buck.

As for where to go:
Kill moonlight butterfly (which should be pretty free), then stray demon and iron golemn. After this go greath hallow/ash lake. Sif can be quite hard depending on your build so hit him up after this (but before New Londo Ruins).

JRW

For future save file security you can enable dsfix's backup feature, it creates a backup save every 25 minutes (adjustable) so if something goes wrong you can delete and replace it with one of dsfix's backups.

I had a similar scare but luckily exiting & reloading DS fixed it, Ive had dsfix backup enabled ever since just in case lol.

From dsfix.ini:

###############################################################################
# Save Game Backup Options
###############################################################################

# enables save game backups
# 0 = no backups
# 1 = backups enabled
# backups are stored in the save folder, as "[timestamp]_[original name].bak"
enableBackups 1

# backup interval in seconds (1500 = 25 minutes)
# (minimum setting 600)
backupInterval 1500

# maximum amount of backups, older ones will be deleted
maxBackups 10

Is there any reason that I should stop upgrading a weapon at +10? Like if I want to make it a fire weapon?

Depends on your build and the weapon so it is hard to say.

In general you would start making it fire a lot earlier if that is the way you wanted to go. However +15 weapons can be pretty god like with buffs.

I have a BSS+7, Uchigatana+5, and Washing pole+10. I could just re-buy another Uchigatana or Washing Pole if I built them wrong.

You could probably make your Uchi fire if you really want a fire weapon. Not much point upgrading both.

But assuming you have the strength to wield it, a +15 washing pole with something like crystal magic weapon or sunlight blade and power within is going to be a lot better.

You could probably make your Uchi fire if you really want a fire weapon. Not much point upgrading both.

But assuming you have the strength to wield it, a +15 washing pole with something like crystal magic weapon or sunlight blade and power within is going to be a lot better.

How do I do that? Or is that just a biff like the Resins?

Sullichin

Speaking of washing pole, does anyone on PC around SL120 have a spare? I'd like one for my dex pyro character for kicks, but I don't want to abandon the darkwraith covenant
How do I do that? Or is that just a biff like the Resins?

Crystal Magic Weapon is a spell, Sunlight blade is a miracle. You equip the catalyst or talisman in your left hand and the weapon in your right. You can increase the length of the buff if you use lingering dragoncrest ring. Power Within is a pyromancy that steadily drains your health but increases your damage significantly as well as your stamina recovery speed. If you use lingering dragoncrest with power within, it will drain the same amount of health but over a longer period of time.

At +5 you can branch your weapons out to magic, divine, fire
Magic can be branched to enchanted, divine can be branched to occult, fire can be branched to chaos

At +10 you can branch out to lightning or crystal (crystal weapons do more damage than the +15 path but can't be repaired).

Lightning/fire/chaos weapons don't scale with any of your stats, but it's worth making one depending on your build

Speaking of washing pole, does anyone on PC around SL120 have a spare? I'd like one for my dex pyro character for kicks, but I don't want to abandon the darkwraith covenant

Crystal Magic Weapon is a spell, Sunlight blade is a miracle. You equip the catalyst or talisman in your left hand and the weapon in your right. You can increase the length of the buff if you use lingering dragoncrest ring. Power Within is a pyromancy that steadily drains your health but increases your damage significantly as well as your stamina recovery speed. If you use lingering dragoncrest with power within, it will drain the same amount of health but over a longer period of time.

At +5 you can branch your weapons out to magic, divine, fire
Magic can be branched to enchanted, divine can be branched to occult, fire can be branched to chaos

At +10 you can branch out to lightning or crystal (crystal weapons do more damage than the +15 path but can't be repaired).

Lightning/fire/chaos weapons don't scale with any of your stats, but it's worth making one depending on your build

Sounds good. I already have a lightning spear and I've been looking for a reason to break out the Uchigatana so I will switch that to fire. And since it's already +5 it will be perfect.

Thanks for the help Todd and Sullichin. Completely clear now.

Yep plus it looks like you are running around with a light sabre.

chunk3rvd

I remember seeing a YouTube video about power within a while back that stated you are better with a glove that hasn't been upgraded as the health drain scales with the glove. Was this changed in one of the more recent patches? I have already upgraded my first glove and was plannin on using the 2nd to get a red slab from Snuggly

Akito

I remember seeing a YouTube video about power within a while back that stated you are better with a glove that hasn't been upgraded as the health drain scales with the glove. Was this changed in one of the more recent patches? I have already upgraded my first glove and was plannin on using the 2nd to get a red slab from Snuggly
Should still be the case.

Soulhouf

Yes, they changed it. Now you can use Power Within with a fully upgraded glove without suffering much HP drain.

chunk3rvd

Is it possible to get the sunlight maggot before you have the lord vessel? Just on a run for the chaos ember and noticed I have 29 active humanity so figured now would be the perfect time if I can make it through

Soulhouf

Is it possible to get the sunlight maggot before you have the lord vessel? Just on a run for the chaos ember and noticed I have 29 active humanity so figured now would be the perfect time if I can make it through

No because there will be a yellow barrier before the branching path.

oracrest

I finally took down this mofo last night. It took me a few nights of trying. Ultimately, I just went two handed with the club, and that worked better than before.

155A6B82-BB1B-4B8F-A124-93AC0331739F-13751-000003F389B41C61.jpg

6for8

You can unlock the shortcut but you will need to place the vessel to get the maggot. Just stay in the covenant until you physically touch the door. I am not certain it stays unlocked if you leave the covenant before you touch the shortcut.

Top Bottom